Guillermo del Toro's "The Shape of Water"

Abudefduf

Superhero
Reaction score
Guillermo del Toro begins filming Cold War fantasy The Shape of Water

Cp7RiNtW8AY2mc1.jpg

I couldn't seem to find a specific thread for this and I thought it deserved one since, you know, it's a Del Toro movie that is actually being filmed. :o

Fox Searchlight Pictures announced Monday that del Toro has started principal photography on The Shape of Water, starring Sally Hawkins, Michael Shannon, Richard Jenkins, Doug Jones, Michael Stuhlbarg, and Octavia Spencer. In addition to directing, del Toro is co-writing the script with Game of Thrones and Divergent scribe Vanessa Taylor.

Described as “an other-worldly story, set against the backdrop of Cold War era America circa 1963,” del Toro’s “mysterious and magical journey” stars Hawkins as a mute janitor in a lab housing an “amphibious man.”

This is what the director said about the creature (which will be played by Doug Jones, because of course it will) in a previous interview:

"It’s a very personal movie. My view of the creature is very personal. We have spent nine months creating and designing this creature, which is the longest time I’ve spent, ever, designing any creature, and I’m very much in awe of it."

Release date is planned for 2017.

I thought there was a thread for this but regardless, I am excite.

Sounds like it could be smaller scaled? If it's anything in the league of Cronos I'd love that for Del Toro to make an intimate fairy tale again.

Hey, it's always a pleasant surprise for GdT to start shooting on a film. Something like Cronos again would be exemplary.

For all the snark about his projects never getting made, Del Toro has actually been very productive since escaping middle earth. He's had two films and a TV show in the last 3 years.

He hardly has more projects fall through or abandoned than Spielberg who attaches his name to everything at least once.

Oh my gosh this sounds amazing! I've always appreciated amphibious men for some reason. I hope GDT actually does make this. I suppose if he's already filming it then it's more likely

For all the snark about his projects never getting made, Del Toro has actually been very productive since escaping middle earth. He's had two films and a TV show in the last 3 years.

He hardly has more projects fall through or abandoned than Spielberg who attaches his name to everything at least once.

He's of a generation of weird fiction genre film makers alongside the Wachowskis, Vincenzo Natali, Alex Proyas and others that sprang out of the 90's and in truth, he's been far more prolific and consistant than all of them. But he's also the biggest braggart of the bunch so it always feels as if his movies fall apart.

Sounds like it could be smaller scaled? If it's anything in the league of Cronos I'd love that for Del Toro to make an intimate fairy tale again.
After two back-to-back blockbusters that I didn't really care for (for a variety of reasons), I'm glad to see Del Toro going back to something like this. I honestly think he could use a break from the big corporate machine for a bit. Go back to these small-scale films for a couple of years, and then maybe take one more crack at Mountains by the end of the decade.

Last edited:
I mean I didn't love Crimson Peak or Pacific Rim, but at least Del Toro for the most part has made original stuff and this is no exception.

As excited as I'd be for a Mountains of Madness movie, this feels like a better move for now. Del Toro seems to work better more restricted.

Plus another reason that Del Toro has so many projects is because one time he said it best. I'm paraphrasing, but most movies in the industry fall through and he's unemployed at the end of the day. So he has a lot as back up. Though this seemed to come out of nowhere.

And I want to take a tour to his man cave. And I wanna see the rain room.

Though I gotta say, I watched Blade 2 recently and I thought it was kick ass. :up: It definitely felt like a Del Toro movie while retaining all the great things about Snipes's Blade.

He's of a generation of weird fiction genre film makers alongside the Wachowskis, Vincenzo Natali, Alex Proyas and others that sprang out of the 90's and in truth, he's been far more prolific and consistant than all of them. But he's also the biggest braggart of the bunch so it always feels as if his movies fall apart.

Movie blogs also just have a much more hyper focus on his every word and mention than they do on Natali.

Hell you want to talk about projects falling through? I've seen Natali attached to so many promising projects over the years. I enjoy his TV work though. Last I heard he's going to be working on that new Star Trek show.

The secret with Del Toro? In the last 8-10 years if he mentions working on an adaptation of something, it will never ever happen. His original projects have come through though.

Sorry, it's too late. He shall forever be known as the guy who promises a lot but seldom delivers.
No but seriously, I'm really happy that his, um, unfortunate directing hiatus seems to be finally over.

Now I'm just waiting for our first peek at the creature. If I recall correctly, Del Toro is a big fan of the classic Gillman but it's safe to assume that his monster will look quite different from that one.

Glad that this started filming.

Guillermo Del Toro said:
My view of the creature is very personal. We have spent nine months creating and designing this creature, which is the longest time I’ve spent, ever, designing any creature, and I’m very much in awe of it.
Hyyyyyype.

Movie blogs also just have a much more hyper focus on his every word and mention than they do on Natali.

Hell you want to talk about projects falling through? I've seen Natali attached to so many promising projects over the years. I enjoy his TV work though. Last I heard he's going to be working on that new Star Trek show.

The secret with Del Toro? In the last 8-10 years if he mentions working on an adaptation of something, it will never ever happen. His original projects have come through though.

I'm in total agreement with you. Natali has had loads of films fall apart on him, Proyas and The Wachowskis too, but since they're all private or under the radar (At least until they've become prominent on social media in Proyas and Natali's cases) and don't attract as much attention as Del Toro they go unnoticed.

I'm waiting for Netflix or Amazon Prime to deliver us Del Toro's Lovecraft movie one day.

Sounds like an Abe Sapien prequel to me as well.

I am in for any GDT movie though in all honesty.

so is this a Monster/Fantasy Movie like Hellboy or a Fantasy/Drama like Pans Labyrinth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"