Guillermo del Toro's "Nightmare Alley" (Cooper, Blanchett)

I ****ing love del Toro’s aesthetic. This looks fantastic.

Something I don't get is that some movies that haven't premiered yet get golden globe nominations. How does that work?

Something I don't get is that some movies that haven't premiered yet get golden globe nominations. How does that work?

Critics get early screenings which is why pirating has been a problem for awhile.

Well... it's a meticulous movie on so many levels. You definitely feel its length, though. The structure makes sense for a book, it's a bit weird as a film at this length with this sort of pacing.

Bradley Cooper is asked to carry the film and I think we needed to care about him a little bit more for the movie to work in the end. That said, a lot to admire about this one. I liked it better than Shape of Water, at least.

Im only a Pan's Labrynth fan. I don't care for anything else ive seen from Guillermo. But this looks different for him. He needs to step outside of his monster comfort zone so I'm hoping this is the movie that clicks with me. It's right up my...alley. I'll see myself out.

Im only a Pan's Labrynth fan. I don't care for anything else ive seen from Guillermo. But this looks different for him. He needs to step outside of his monster comfort zone so I'm hoping this is the movie that clicks with me. It's right up my...alley. I'll see myself out.

Not a fan of Blade 2 I presume?

Would it have really done much better than that if Spider-Man wasn't a factor? I didn't even know this was coming out until a few weeks ago. That being said, I'm definitely planning on checking this out once it hits VOD.

Unfortunatley this is another case of a movie being swallowed up by blockbusters + not really having much of marketing push. The Last Duel was another victim and Licorice Pizza will probably be one too

Would it have really done much better than that if Spider-Man wasn't a factor? I didn't even know this was coming out until a few weeks ago. That being said, I'm definitely planning on checking this out once it hits VOD.
The marketing for it was really bad, but having seen the film, I can't see any universe where this is a hit.

Maybe not, but its suicide either way to put it "against" comic book movies in general, but against one of the years most Anticipated movies, a spider-man movie, a spider-man movie having the previous spider-mans in it? Who thought that would in any kind of way a good idea?

Hey, the movie had to come out eventually. Superhero movies or not, studios shouldn't just bow out because some other big movie is going to steal the spotlight.

Either way, saw this today and absolutely loved it. Some of the best production design and costuming I've seen of any film this year. Like The Shape of Water, it takes this darker, more sinister turn in the third act. All of the performances were great- in particular Cooper, Collette, and Blanchett.

The marketing for it was really bad, but having seen the film, I can't see any universe where this is a hit.
The universe from a few decades ago when people still went en masse to see non-blockbusters. When The Godfather was the highest grossing movie of the year.

This was a really amazing film - Visually gorgeous with a compelling story and all-star performances all around. Cooper and Blanchett for sure deserve their praise, but I'm surprised there's less buzz for David Srathairn. He gave the most memorable supporting turn IMO. Brilliantly underrated actor.

Really hoped this did at least decent at the BO so we could see At the Mountains of Madness. Maybe on Netflix I guess

Really hoped this did at least decent at the BO so we could see At the Mountains of Madness. Maybe on Netflix I guess
If GDT wants to finally make At the Mountains of Madness I doubt much could stop him considering he has Oscar clout.

If GDT wants to finally make At the Mountains of Madness I doubt much could stop him considering he has Oscar clout.
I saw an interview recently where he said he may/has pitched it to netflix. The budget has to be scaled back immensely. He wants R rating and studio won’t give him $150 mil for R Rated horror. Said Netflix may be best bet. Less scale, more weird

Absolutely insane they showed a clip of the final scene of the movie on a talk show.

I just watched it on HBO Max. I never saw the original but this was really well made. I have yet to be disappointed by any of GDT's movies, at least from I've seen. The cast was impressive as well. I had an inkling what would happen at the end but it was still wild to see the events in the third act unfold the way they did. Hopefully a lot more people discover this now that it's streaming.

8/10

One of Del Toro’s best. I fully acknowledge its flaws but I don’t care. These type of slow burn psychological thrillers are my jam.

Will buy the Blu-ray as soon as it comes out

Absolutely insane they showed a clip of the final scene of the movie on a talk show.

Forgot to mention in my earlier post that I did avoid watching Cooper's Colbert interview because I had seen your warning about it a few weeks back. Good looking out, Kane. :up:

And it is completely mental that they showed that clip. It's a great highlight for Cooper but don't show it at the expense of spoiling the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"