Guillermo del Toro's "Nightmare Alley" (Cooper, Blanchett)

This is excellent; watched it last night. Probably Cooper’s best performance and one of Blanchett’s as well. The whole film just looks GREAT too; no surprise there though. Del Toro is hit or miss for me but his films always look amazing. But he knocks this one out of the park on every level. Funny, I had no idea it was a remake.

Finally caught this on HBO Max. Very very good film. Im a sucker for a good film noir and this was rock solid. Gorgeous visuals in every shot, moody, and Bradley Cooper puts on one of his best performances.

Gonna revisit this again on home video. It probably will look and sound even BETTER on blu ray.

I finally got the chance to watch this tonight and while the first hour or so didn't grab me once Cate Blanchett came onscreen, I was completely invested, and the second half of this movie is pretty fantastic IMO.

Great performances from Cooper, Blanchett and Jenkins in this and my god am I still in awe at how Del Toro is able to get gorgeous, big budget, period films like this made nowadays.

I definitely wish I had been able to see this bad boy on the bigscreen.

It's crazy how the pandemic drastically reduced the theatrical window, just looking at this movie alone. The low box office earnings accelerated things.

Theatrical: 12/17/21
Streaming on HBO Max/Hulu: 2/1/22
HBO on air premiere: 2/5/22

I finally got the chance to watch this tonight and while the first hour or so didn't grab me once Cate Blanchett came onscreen, I was completely invested, and the second half of this movie is pretty fantastic IMO.

Great performances from Cooper, Blanchett and Jenkins in this and my god am I still in awe at how Del Toro is able to get gorgeous, big budget, period films like this made nowadays.

I definitely wish I had been able to see this bad boy on the bigscreen.

Had the same experience. I think for me the first 30 mins were a little rough and slow. Mainly because Cooper’s character was so quiet and reserved and you didnt quite know where the story was going. It was a lot of world building. But once Cooper’s character starting becoming an active character and the plot started kicking in, the movie just became increasingly more interesting and engaging until the final frame.

I thought the first act at the carnival was pretty engaging mainly thanks to Willem Dafoe. Putting him in a carnival freak show setting was just brilliant. I'd even watch a whole spinoff movie about his character.

Brilliant. Just Brilliant.
I'm gonna be rooting for Bradley to get a nom this week, and I'm rooting for the film as well.

Bluray and UHD Release date is March 22.

Nightmare Alley 4K Blu-ray

Typical barebones effort from Disney. Doesn't include the black and white version or an audio commentary.

Considering they’ve done a number of GDT films and the original Nightmare Alley, let’s hope Criterion is keeping an eye on this.

hope it’ll come to Disney plus soon….because no cinema around me is showing it

Considering they’ve done a number of GDT films and the original Nightmare Alley, let’s hope Criterion is keeping an eye on this.
Either Criterion or Arrow would be ideal. If nothing else I know both Criterion or Arrow would give the film a better audio mix.

hope it’ll come to Disney plus soon….because no cinema around me is showing it
Its R rated so it won't be on Disney+, but its on Hulu and HBO Max. And will be available to buy on most streaming services March 8.

It‘ll be on Disney plus in my country - we don‘t have HBO Max or Hulu

I enjoyed it but it felt like an actor’s showcase the whole time. The performances are great but the whole time I was just thinking of Cooper rehearsing his accent over and over.

Aside from Pan's Labyrinth nothing GDT's ever done has resonated with me. There's a lot to admire about his work from a technical perspective but his characters are always paper thin. What a waste of a stellar cast, there's just nothing to latch onto here or care about. And I'm still bummed Desplat was forced to drop out due to scheduling conflicts; I wonder if he recorded anything.

Still, given how weak the offerings were last year it's still in my top 10 right now.

Watched it today, good film that looks fantastic, some gorgeous cinematography, up there with Dune from 2021's offerings. The acting across the board is excellent, Rooney Mara in particular is an underrated chameleon and Toni Colette is consistently good, but I felt the relationships between Stan/Molly and Stan/Lilith were underdeveloped, the latters motivation was also muddled to me as well, did she destroy Stan just because she got a kick out of it? Her manipulation of him was a tad foggy as well, but the overall journey of the sleazy carny conman Stan was engrossingly macabre and I guessed how he was going to end up once he started drinking, there was an Edgar Allan Poe feel to it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"