Guy Ritchie Directing Disney's Aladdin

Not good that the top comments on the Frozen 2 teaser are about how bad this trailer looked and flopped.

Am I the only one not that bothered by the Genie look? Like yeah, the effects definitely need work, but they've got 3 months.

I think he looks fine in the promotional pic but the video, he looks off.

My guess is the promo pic is largely the goal. I do think the design would benefit from the glow though.

Am I the only one not that bothered by the Genie look? Like yeah, the effects definitely need work, but they've got 3 months.
you're not the only one... I don't mind it and I'm willing to wait and see how it looks in full context of the whole film

You're basing this off a teaser where it barely showed any of the lions?

I'm basing it on the fact it didn't have an identity of its own to show people. It's essentially a 4K reskin.

I like animated movies that were done in traditional way, that is using hand drawn animations which required many illustrators to work together for one animated movie, it has some artistic value and charm, not saying CGI animations is not artistic but it doesn't appeal to me that much. Sadly, hand drawn animation has become a lost art.

Hand drawn, CGI, live action comparison.

Belles.jpg

sddefault.jpg

Digital animation also requires many artists to work together. Digital animation is not easy or a one man job. And a lot of digital animation still uses hand drawn animation and its rendered in a computer. Instead of drawing on paper they draw on a computer pad. And digital animation uses more realistic and more complicated lighting, it's more 3D, and it uses a wider color spectrum. That complicates matters.

I'm basing it on the fact it didn't have an identity of its own to show people. It's essentially a 4K reskin.

And you're basing this off of a short teaser. You've seen less than 2 minutes of a 2 hour film. Its impossible to know right now how faithful the remake is to the animated film.

Of course I'm basing it off a short teaser. What the hell else would I be basing it off of?

Yes. Heaven forbid people actually have legitimate criticisms about the look. :whatever:

It's not great or anything but I'm not really bothered by Genie's look. I didn't think much of it when I saw the teaser, so it's kind of amusing that people are this riled up about it :hehe:

I mean the whole idea of a movie star or someone selling a movie has been proven not to mean much anymore
It's all about IPs and Aladdin as an IP would've been or has a lot of potential to be a huge success without major stars

I don't think that's true at all. It's a false narrative. There's a lot they could do to make a good looking product. I don't feel bad for the filmmakers at all.

True, but part of the appeal of Aladdin has always been Robin Williams' larger-than-life star turn as the Genie. So by ever attempting to remake it, you have to find someone... to try and match Robin Williams. Which is almost impossible, but then you add the extra hurdle of forcing them to look like the cartoon. The Genie is a lovable animated creature in the cartoon. I had a Genie stuffed animal growing up. This Genie... can you imagine a kid with a stuffed animal of a grinning blue Will Smith? (Shudders) So whether or not Smith's charisma can replace the void left by Williams, on top of it, it just looks... wrong.

Aladdin for that reason always seemed the hardest of the four to remake, even more so than Little Mermaid, which Aquaman has proven the technology is there. Because you need something more than special effects to make the Genie work, and Disney is learning that the hard way.

It's not great or anything but I'm not really bothered by Genie's look. I didn't think much of it when I saw the teaser, so it's kind of amusing that people are this riled up about it :hehe:
For me, it was one of those things that are just "Whatever. It is what it is" but I know how people are, so I knew it'd get the reaction it did.

Trailers (generally) have to have a good representation of the finished work done before being shown. The final product will in all likelihood not be far removed from what we've seen.

If anything, the CG backgrounds will be somewhat different.

Or they have a differing opinion. No need for insults.

Have you not heard?....The internet must worship Disney all the time and not criticize their trash remake films...Those are the rules...:o

96k dislikes to 60k likes on the official Dinsey Youtube channel for the promo shown during the Grammy's, that has to be some sort of record. :eek:

It's a Disney record that's for sure. They sure seemed to drop that Frozen trailer out of nowhere......

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"