Guy Ritchie Directing Disney's Aladdin

tumblr_pr51ouQZ0B1x0bvwko1_540.gif

tumblr_pr51ouQZ0B1x0bvwko2_540.gif

tumblr_pr51ouQZ0B1x0bvwko4_540.gif

From the clips Mena Massoud lacks a certain energy like he’s not having as much fun with the material as he needs to be.

They basically reused the Shere Khan model and tweaked it for rajah.

It’s so weird watching these clips. Obviously Disney put a lot of money and detail into the sets and the costumes and everything looks colorful, but it seems like these live action remakes lacks that life the cartoons brought.

The whole do you trust me exchange between Aladdin and Jasmine in that scene just felt like they were saying their lines and that’s it.

I wonder why they chose not to have a bare midriff for Jasmine.

I wonder why they chose not to have a bare midriff for Jasmine.

That's because it isn't accurate, Arabian women back then weren't (and still aren't) supposed to show midriff like in the animated movie, especially around men who aren't their relatives (Jafar and Aladdin). The only women who wore clothes like animated Jasmine were belly dancers, not Sultan's daughters.

Actually the clothing in this new movie isn't accurate either, her pink top has low cut like an Indian sari while the bottom and long cape don't look like they come from any culture. She also appears to wear a hijab to the bazaar but before the arrival of crusaders in the 10th century Muslim women didn't wear hijab.

That's because it isn't accurate, Arabian women back then weren't (and still aren't) supposed to show midriff like in the animated movie, especially around men who aren't their relatives (Jafar and Aladdin). The only women who wore clothes like animated Jasmine were belly dancers, not Sultan's daughters.

Actually the clothing in this new movie isn't accurate either, her pink top has low cut like an Indian sari while the bottom and long cape don't look like they come from any culture. She also appears to wear a hijab to the bazaar but before the arrival of crusaders in the 10th century Muslim women didn't wear hijab.

Hijab - Wikipedia

The original creators basically said agrabah is an amalgamation of India and various middle eastern cultures. So yeah.

Kinda weird how this all turned out. Smith looks like he's having a blast. The visuals are there. But something is missing. this is Aladdin and yet the excitement isn't there like it was for BaTB, or is for Lion King. Even Jungle Book had anticipation.

The Disney broadway shows have more vitality than the live action movies. That’s saying something.

Kinda weird how this all turned out. Smith looks like he's having a blast. The visuals are there. But something is missing. this is Aladdin and yet the excitement isn't there like it was for BaTB, or is for Lion King. Even Jungle Book had anticipation.
I think part of it is that it’s being released in a crowded month. It’s also got a cast of mostly unknowns besides Smith. Personally, I feel like Disney should have switched this with Maleficent 2 as I think this would do better in the fall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"