Han Solo Movie Box office Thread

Discussion in 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' started by Ozbridge, Jul 19, 2017.

?

What is box office DOMESTIC and WORLDWIDE? (please vote 2 options, 1 for each)

1. Over 1.3 billion worldwide

2. 1.2 - 1.3 billion worldwide

3. 1.1 - 1.2 billion worldwide

4. 1.0 - 1.1 billion worldwide

5. 900 million - 1.0 billion worldwide

6. 800 - 900 million worldwide

7. 700 - 800 million worldwide

8. Under 700 million worldwide

9. Over 650 million domestic

10. 600 - 650 million domestic

11. 550 - 600 million domestic

12. 500 - 550 million domestic

13. 450 - 500 million domestic

14. 400 - 450 million domestic

15. 350 - 400 million domestic

16. Under 350 million domestic

17. Over 1.3 billion worldwide

18. 1.2 - 1.3 billion worldwide

19. 1.1 - 1.2 billion worldwide

20. 1.0 - 1.1 billion worldwide

21. 900 million - 1.0 billion worldwide

22. 800 - 900 million worldwide

23. 700 - 800 million worldwide

24. Under 700 million worldwide

25. Over 650 million domestic

26. 600 - 650 million domestic

27. 550 - 600 million domestic

28. 500 - 550 million domestic

29. 450 - 500 million domestic

30. 400 - 450 million domestic

31. 350 - 400 million domestic

32. Under 350 million domestic

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

See, that's kinda where I disagree personally because the thing I have very low emotional investment in those films. They're fun turn off your brain, eat popcorn, immediately forget kinda films for me. They're adjacent superhero stories that interweve more than they are any type of meaningful unified mythology to me. I saw (and mostly enjoyed) everything up through Ant-Man in theaters, but now I just choose to see the ones that interest me at this point. I skipped Doctor Strange in theaters (just saw it on Netflix...happy with my decision) and plan on skipping the new Ant-Man too. I like going to the movies to have a good time, and it was around 2016 with Civil War and Ant-Man that I realized I just felt like I was going through the motions and seeing them because they were required viewing more than out of any real meaningful emotional investment in the story, which was kind of a bummer realization for me. Luckily Marvel has enough franchises going now that I can pick and choose the ones I see.

I never was keen on Star Wars trying to chase the MCU business model, because not only is it clearly not as easy as Hollywood thought-- truthfully I just like it better when Star Wars is more of a big event and I expect a LOT more from Star Wars than I do of Marvel. I simply respect Star Wars' impact on cinema in a way that I do not for Marvel. To me the beauty of the Star Wars films was they were influenced by serialized genre storytelling but they were still distinct entries into the canon of cinema. And while they had plenty of humor and goofy aspects, they just spoke to a purity of imagination in a way that was and still is special. They had an innocence about them, which is why people so closely associate it with their childhoods and become so passionately opinionated about everything about it. Marvel is comic books/TV for the big screen with a heavy dose of self-aware humor- which CLEARLY is working gangbusters for them. But to me, that's not what Star Wars is- although I do appreciate them embracing the multimedia facet of the canon.

Anyway, to me oversaturation IS a thing regardless of quality or success. You can absolutely have too much of a good thing, whether that is superheroes, Star Wars or pizza. There is always something to be said for having the time to rebuild your appetite for something.

#951 BatLobsterRises, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
  2. Reaver027

Reaver027 Registered

Are some really trying to tell me that a STAR WARS movie needs an eleborate ad campaign to get people excited to watch it? If we are at that point the franchise has declined a lot already.
    There is also no Star Wars fatigue. From 2008 on we had constant new material in the form of Clone wars. A show that salvaged Anakin Skywalker for a lot of fans. In addition to that we had tons of new books, video/board games and (if you were lucky to be living in a german speaking country) even a audio drama of the Thrawn trilogy. And now suddenly ater TLJ there is this massive Star Wars fatigue? Give me a break.

There are a lot of fans that just want to see KK gone and are not willing to give her a win with Solo. To those fans she is the root of the problem and they want to see her fired today rather than tomorrow. And they are willing to suspend their urge to watch a new Star Wars movie to accomplish that goal.

The best move Disney could make right now is replace KK with Filoni. The fans love him and he expressed a deep knowlage of the Star Wars mythos. He knows how to create interesting characters and how to create interesting storylines. He could very well be the Kevin Feige of Star Wars.

It will be interesting to see what will happen to 9. There is a lot of time between now and december next year. Heads could cool off or get even hotter. I put all my hope and trust into JJ. He did deliver with TFA and i hope he can do it again.

3. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

For the record, I just want to say that I am not one of those people who want KK gone. I've been mostly happy with the new movies, with TLJ actually being my favorite.

My concern with fatigue is more directed at Disney, because Disney are the ones who mandated the release schedule of a film every year and IMO it was way too ambitious out the gate and for me, Solo is evidence that the ship was moving a bit too fast without having everything in order. If it weren't for Disney's mandate I have serious questions about whether they would've pushed a Solo film out this soon. If you ask me, if would've made a hell of a lot more sense to just focus on the new trilogy first and worry about spinoffs later.

That said, I think KK is a pro, I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt and I definitely have hope for IX. I just thought Solo was painfully average and exactly what I feared it would be- but I am in no way part of the "Make Star Wars Great Again" crowd.

#953 BatLobsterRises, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
  4. batman1

batman1 Registered

So what is the projected BO total? The weekend is almost over. But now what about the entire cinematic run?

5. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I think it more a case of some feeling betrayed and wanting to irrationally punish the next film (even if it's something they may have liked). They can't unsee the film they've already seen or get their money back so they can only express their displeasure at what comes next.

And I'd count a large part of the regular cinemagoing population as Star Wars fans (of the films only) for the purpose of this behaviour. It's the only franchise like that where I think even guys on the street have personal opinions and get offended by how Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader are treated, even while they wouldn't necessarily care so much about characters beyond that in the same films.

6. Zant

Zant Registered

About 450 Worldwide if Japan really performs.

7. Romannen

Romannen Registered

At the very least, comic book characters can easily be rebooted, and there are always different versions of, say, Batman. The original Star Wars characters are one-of-a-kind icons. So TLJ was the equivalent of crapping on Mona Lisa.

8. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Web Ninja

Wall Street Journal - ‘Solo,’ Newest ‘Star Wars’ Installment, Off to a Slow Start

https://www.wsj.com/articles/solo-newest-star-wars-installment-off-to-a-slow-start-1527534820

9. batman1

batman1 Registered

It doesn't seem like it will.

10. batman1

batman1 Registered

What you just said. I never really thought about it but I knew this. Maybe this is why folks are so upset. It's one of a kind and can't be rebooted.

11. Frodo

Frodo Registered

That's true , but it also depends on the type of franchise you're dealing with. SW isn't as malleable as Disney/Lucasfilm thinks it is. It isn't the MCU, or the DCEU.

They have to tell new stories with new characters , no doubt, but at the end of the day , the question becomes whether general audiences really care that much about a new SW cinematic universe without a Skywalker film in it, stromtroopers vs Rebels, and Jedi's?

Lucasfilm, have to ask themselves what the SW brand is in the eyes of the general audience . Is it a cinematic universe of different unrelated characters each in their own corner of the universe, each with their own adventures? Or is SW Luke Skywalker and the Skywalker family and friends?

In the general audiences eyes, they see it as the latter, and its hard after 40 years to convince them otherwise. . And that doesn't take into account what the Star Wars fanbase thinks it should or shouldn't be.

I think its possible for SW to become more than just the Skywalkers in people's minds, and to tell new stories new characters, but that isn't an easy task when the general audience has been conditioned to viewed the property one way and when the property has basically been made in one way.

Star Wars is old, and I actually think its closer to the Bond franchise which updates things over the years but doesn't really change things that radically, as opposed to something closer to the MCU, which they aspire to be.

They're trying to make it something it was never intended to be to begin with, which makes it much more difficult to really make films which don't fit into audiences and fans notions of what SW should be.

If they want to keep making films that's what they need to do, but I do think they'll limited by what the property is itself and how its perceived.

12. Romannen

Romannen Registered

In my mind, there are only two options:
    A) Star Wars fatigue
    B) A crappy product

Since Mr. Hollis is ruling out fatigue, the answer appears to be a crappy product.

13. Flemm

Flemm Registered

Well, we won't know until they try it.

The Last Jedi wasn't a good test case for that because it didn't do any of those things.

The film *was* different, but the main difference was that it took a very critical view of Star Wars as a concept, and of its original protagonist in particular (while still making him the center of the movie).

Some of the ideas are interesting, to varying degrees, with plenty of room for people to have different opinions. But basically the movie was different, not because it moved on to something new, but because it was very critical of the old.

Among recent blockbusters, Iron Man 3 is a similar example that comes to mind. It's quite critical of the genre, and of the superhero movies that were trendy at the time (basically Iron Man and the Nolan movies). It's not beloved by genre fans either, maybe for similar reasons.

But Iron man 3 is a less extreme example.

14. warhorse78

warhorse78 Registered

I agree with this 100%. I personally didn't like TFA. I would have rathered they kept the family dynamic with Leia, Han and Luke, and have had kept Han's and Leia's twins that were in the books and make Finn a son of Lando and have them go off on an adventure. They could have then run into Kylo Ren and make him a completely new character and untied to anyone in the universe while also keeping the main basis for Rey (who I think will be revealed in episode 9 to be the granddaughter of Obi Wan) I just think they could have made a much better story without destroying the happy ending from ROTJ. Leave Luke as a wise uncle to guide his nephew and niece when needed, and Han and Leia are retired on Endor.

15. warhorse78

warhorse78 Registered

When you got videos like this floating around, can't blame Star Wars fans for standing up for Mark Hamill and abandoning ship.
    [YT]J5EB95JdDrs[/YT]

Stuff like this is why people are hating on Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy. I don't blame them. What Johnson has done is disrespectful and humiliating to an icon.

16. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

Clone Wars was an animated TV show. A fraction of the people that watch the films saw that show.

17. samsnee

samsnee Ok

I really want them to rethink their movies now and not rely on prequels to expand the universe. Give us new stories (and not by Rian).

18. terry78

terry78 We'll be right back

They have a multitude of characters and storylines from video games and novels to draw off of, yet they refuse.

19. Mask&Cape

Mask&Cape Registered

When people are getting worked up over these videos floating around, I can blame them - for being ridiculous.

And Hamill doesn't need people to "stand up for him". What are they doing for Hamill exactly? Please educate me?

I think Hamill is going to be fine. :whatever:

The prequels so far have been new stories and have expanded the universe and there is going to be new films by Ryan Johnson.

You just have to accept that because it is happening.

20. Mask&Cape

Mask&Cape Registered

What novels and video games?

21. samsnee

samsnee Ok

I actually liked Rogue One more than TFA and TLJ but it still relied on the original trilogy to tell its story. Solo was entertaining but again didn’t really cover any new ground and relied on the original trilogy.

Give me a movie that takes place in another corner of the galaxy. Maybe Rian’s will do that. But I didn’t love his choices in TLJ. Even outside of Luke, the newer characters felt disconnected from what was established in TFA.

22. darthcoolness3

darthcoolness3 Registered

The box office is probably at an slow start, because the world is fatigued from Star Wars movies coming out every year.

23. GREEN =w= DAY

GREEN =w= DAY Registered

So whatever happened with Solo beating Black Panther opening weekend? I guess the so called vocal minority that voiced their criticism with the direction Star Wars is taking after TLJ wasn't so minor after all

24. Mask&Cape

Mask&Cape Registered

Well, the very concept of Rogue One was about the plot of ANH so you couldn't avoid the connectedness.

For Solo only really only in regards to the world building.

To be fair, both of those movies are still new ground for the franchise in regards to movies and Lucasfilm needs to test the waters before using new eras and characters for those films. Plus they need to wrap up the ST before they can hit that point in history.

Actually that is exactly what Johnson's trilogy I going to cover - a corner of the Star Wars galaxy that has never been utilised before.

I loved his choices in TLJ (some of the humour didn't work but not a deal breaker) and I look forward to seeing what he does with new characters and situations.

You didn't like his choices in TLJ but that doesn't mean you won't like his choices with something different that is his own creation. I'm still of the opinion that Abrams and Kasdan were wrong to clone the Empire & Tatooine and a couple of other things but that doesn't stop me from enjoying TFA - I love it. :cwink:

25. I Am The Knight

I Am The Knight Tonight's a good night.

That part at the end where he's (crying?) Jesus...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.