Solo Han Solo Movie Box office Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So whatever happened with Solo beating Black Panther opening weekend?

It was marketing spin from Fandango fed to Deadline to prop up the movie while concealing that BP started its ticket sales 3 week earlier than this movie did and that Marvel movies are not the presale phenomenon that Star Wars is. Solo's ticket presales weren't compared to RO, TLJ, or TFA for a reason (it was lower).

What I find problematic about the idea that all Episode 9 needs is some clever marketing to be box office gold is that it seems to fly in the face of the build up to every Star Wars episode. Each episode had a hook for the next film, from Empire to TFA, something to keep the fans enthused about during each 3 year break. That doesn’t exist for Episode 9. There’s nothing to talk about, nothing to keep the hype machine running, nothing left over from the last film to have any lengthy discussion about for the next film. Say what you want about fan theories and story threads, but they have been part of the life blood for Star Wars. Taking that away does nothing but mute the conversation in between films, and risks affecting the box office for 9.

I'll say it means they have to do something new. It has to go in new directions (good luck though with JJ at the helm on that count). I personally don't see that as a sin. And even ROTJ didn't have a clear path forward beyond retrieving Han from Jabba the Hut.

I think the idea that dangling threads are necessary for fans to be excited for a sequel is somewhat off. There will be a time jump and a new status quo. That's not a bad thing.

There are things people don't like about MCU films too of course but I don't see any "huge amount of loud, annoyed, and disgruntled fans". I think MCU fans care too but many of the films pass without controversy because they aren't doing too many things that will upset fans, even after so many films (quite a lot more than Star Wars already). The only people I see regularly complain about the MCU are those who aren't fans of the MCU in general. If things like the Mandarin were done in every few films that might be more of an issue but they are few and far between. Unnecessary risks really when you can make great fan-pleasing films like IW with nearly all the characters thrown in with only a few complaints like not enough Hulk. Execution is king.

I know this is a different discussion and I'm clearly not who you'd qualify as "an MCU fan," but I gotta say the bolded part is important. They don't take any risks that upset fans or create controversy... but that is why I don't think they have the impact of SW. They always play it safe.

At the very least, comic book characters can easily be rebooted, and there are always different versions of, say, Batman. The original Star Wars characters are one-of-a-kind icons. So TLJ was the equivalent of crapping on Mona Lisa.

Still has a ting of alt-right anger that is irrational and gross to me.

Last edited:
The audience score on RT went up again another percentage point. I don’t know what other proof people need to convince them there’s legitimacy to the TLJ audience score. The trolls can’t win the downvote battle, there’s just not enough of them.

Personally? I need to see Episode IX underperform. It doesn't need to do numbers as bad as Solo, obviously, as Solo had a lot going against it in hindsight. But I need to see the "anger" or boycott for SW by fans legitimately effect the sequel to TLJ that on paper sounds like a done deal. If Episode IX opens at under $140 million or doesn't gross $1 billion, I'll accept you are right.

At the moment, a movie that no one wanted and that suffered from weak marketing and terrible buzz after a BTS disaster flopped at the box office. There are too many more likely variables to convince me it is TLJ hate that did this. But if IX underperforms? Yes, then the anger over TLJ being more than a very vocal minority is real.

The appeal of this film was greatly overestimated. There are people I like pushing for a Luke film and I must respectfully ask them to kiss my backside. Films focusing on younger versions of the trio are more trouble than they are worth.

I just want an Old Republic movie franchise, want to see the Sith Empire and the Jedi order at their apex go at it.

200.gif

That's true , but it also depends on the type of franchise you're dealing with. SW isn't as malleable as Disney/Lucasfilm thinks it is. It isn't the MCU, or the DCEU.

They have to tell new stories with new characters , no doubt, but at the end of the day , the question becomes whether general audiences really care that much about a new SW cinematic universe without a Skywalker film in it, stromtroopers vs Rebels, and Jedi's?

Lucasfilm, have to ask themselves what the SW brand is in the eyes of the general audience . Is it a cinematic universe of different unrelated characters each in their own corner of the universe, each with their own adventures? Or is SW Luke Skywalker and the Skywalker family and friends?

In the general audiences eyes, they see it as the latter, and its hard after 40 years to convince them otherwise. . And that doesn't take into account what the Star Wars fanbase thinks it should or shouldn't be.

I think its possible for SW to become more than just the Skywalkers in people's minds, and to tell new stories new characters, but that isn't an easy task when the general audience has been conditioned to viewed the property one way and when the property has basically been made in one way.

Star Wars is old, and I actually think its closer to the Bond franchise which updates things over the years but doesn't really change things that radically, as opposed to something closer to the MCU, which they aspire to be.

They're trying to make it something it was never intended to be to begin with, which makes it much more difficult to really make films which don't fit into audiences and fans notions of what SW should be.

If they want to keep making films that's what they need to do, but I do think they'll limited by what the property is itself and how its perceived.

You make a damn good point and I agree with pretty much everything that you said. Grace Randolph made a great suggestion and said that Disney should just recast Luke and Leia with younger actors and depict their adventures (along with Han and Lando and the rest of the iconic SW heroes) right after RETURN OF THE JEDI. They could then do the SW movies like the Bond movies and use each movie to tell a different stand alone story featuring those characters and keep recasting the roles with younger actors when the actors get too old to play those roles. Here's Grace's suggestion on the recasting idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkmRSB2y7hg

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkmRSB2y7hg

[/YT]

When you got videos like this floating around, can't blame Star Wars fans for standing up for Mark Hamill and abandoning ship.
[YT]J5EB95JdDrs[/YT]

Stuff like this is why people are hating on Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy. I don't blame them. What Johnson has done is disrespectful and humiliating to an icon.

Don't really know why KK has such utter contempt for the OT case. What was the purpose of ROTJ when leia and solo break up and luke turns his back on the jedi.

Don't really know why KK has such utter contempt for the OT case. What was the purpose of ROTJ when leia and solo break up and luke turns his back on the jedi.

It's pretty obvious that KK is NOT a SW fan and she wants to turn SW into something that she would like. Hence why the newer movies have crapped all over the fan favorite iconic characters. This video by Grace Randolph nailed the problem with KK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMXr0RJR4f0&t=6s

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMXr0RJR4f0&t=6s[/YT]

Where Luke is at makes complete sense considering he failed to restore the Jedi Order. My issue is the attempted murder of his nephew. As much as I did enjoy about The Last Jedi, that did not seem like Luke.

The W-o-M should be pretty good for this, the majority who have seen it are saying (including myself), it's a whole lot better than expected. So, possibly the B/O will improve over the weeks and a $600 million take is a maybe.

I don't think she cares much for Star Wars at all.

When you hear Kevin Feige talk about Marvel comics you can really feel the love for the material and you see how he understands it. Even when you hear Bob Iger talk about Star Wars he admits that he's not one of the rabid fans but you can still hear how amazed he was with the first film when it came out, and how it was part of inspiring him to work in film.

When Kennedy was asked about how Star Wars influenced her she said something about that it affected her since she had already decided to study film, and I guess she had to study that since it became a big thing. I guess she's honest, which is good, but there was nothing said about any fondness for the franchise.

If there's no fondness for it it's easier to just break down the core. Maybe she's trying to make Star Wars into something that interests her more, which would be a bad thing if she wasn't interested to begin with. She's probably also trying to build something new out of it so it will be hers, which also is aided by tearing down what was before.

Unfortunately she seems to have had some pure producer issues on top of that, where she's let 50% of the productions go astray and needing reshoots. Extensive for RO and gargantuan on Solo. I guess this is the most worrying part as she's supposed to be a highly experienced producer. This isn't just preference and opinion, it's just doing a poor job.

As I've said before I'm not a hater of her but she really does have a ton to prove before I can come close to say that I have any confidence in her in the role she's in.

Mjölnir;36675031 said:
I don't think she cares much for Star Wars at all.

When you hear Kevin Feige talk about Marvel comics you can really feel the love for the material and you see how he understands it. Even when you hear Bob Iger talk about Star Wars he admits that he's not one of the rabid fans but you can still hear how amazed he was with the first film when it came out, and how it was part of inspiring him to work in film.

When Kennedy was asked about how Star Wars influenced her she said something about that it affected her since she had already decided to study film, and I guess she had to study that since it became a big thing. I guess she's honest, which is good, but there was nothing said about any fondness for the franchise.

If there's no fondness for it it's easier to just break down the core. Maybe she's trying to make Star Wars into something that interests her more, which would be a bad thing if she wasn't interested to begin with. She's probably also trying to build something new out of it so it will be hers, which also is aided by tearing down what was before.

Unfortunately she seems to have had some pure producer issues on top of that, where she's let 50% of the productions go astray and needing reshoots. Extensive for RO and gargantuan on Solo. I guess this is the most worrying part as she's supposed to be a highly experienced producer. This isn't just preference and opinion, it's just doing a poor job.

As I've said before I'm not a hater of her but she really does have a ton to prove before I can come close to say that I have any confidence in her in the role she's in.

Well put

In an industry where creativity is required as a personal skill, to operate without passion within it, I would say, is nigh on impossible, it's one of those where you have 'to love your job'.

To me, working on film, in any area is the most exciting feeling I can feel, and that is raw passion, love and drive for what you believe in you are making, if she doesn't have that, (and having worked with Lucas & Spielberg during THE most exciting period of times in the '80's, however the hell not), then if she just sees the $$$$ and leaves the creative thinking to others, then that is fine, to a point, but you have to WANT to make these films for the love of the craft or subject, without that, you'll end up part of soulless crap.

Kathleen Kennedy doesn't have to prove anything to anyone in my opinion. You can say what you want about her handling of Star Wars, but she could retire tomorrow and her legacy as a producer and executive is secure.

I cannot imagine the head of Lucasfilm not having real passion for Star Wars. That seems kinda "mandatory", lol. I haven't seen / read enough of her interviews but if that is the case that is worrysome.

I don't think it's mandatory at all. It's a business and all she has to do is run it effectively.

She needs to pick the right people for the job, stress the limits of a budget and step back to let the cast and crew do their thing. They can have the passion.

She's made some blunders for sure though.

It’s great if someone has a passion for it but I also don’t think it’s a requirement. I doubt all the execs who manage assets like building materials get excited at the mere thought of bricks or cement but it’s still possible for them to do a good job. They need to employ the right people though (like Feige) and give hem what they need.

I'll say it means they have to do something new. It has to go in new directions (good luck though with JJ at the helm on that count). I personally don't see that as a sin. And even ROTJ didn't have a clear path forward beyond retrieving Han from Jabba the Hut.

If this were any other franchise I might agree with you, but Star Wars has always been an exception to other properties. I think there are too many factors in place to simply pull the rug out from everyone and expect them to now treat it just like any other blockbuster movie. Star Wars has always lived by its own rules.

Personally? I need to see Episode IX underperform. It doesn't need to do numbers as bad as Solo, obviously, as Solo had a lot going against it in hindsight. But I need to see the "anger" or boycott for SW by fans legitimately effect the sequel to TLJ that on paper sounds like a done deal. If Episode IX opens at under $140 million or doesn't gross $1 billion, I'll accept you are right.

At the moment, a movie that no one wanted and that suffered from weak marketing and terrible buzz after a BTS disaster flopped at the box office. There are too many more likely variables to convince me it is TLJ hate that did this. But if IX underperforms? Yes, then the anger over TLJ being more than a very vocal minority is real.

Your stance isn't unreasonable, but the warning signs just seem to be getting bigger. More evidence is indicating there is a big problem between what Lucasfilm are doing and what fans want. Too many people I feel are dismissing the possibility this franchise can get into serious trouble with mismanagement. I don't want to come across as saying the sky is falling but I think there are alarms bells going off and Luscasfilm aren't taking notice of them.

Last edited:
Kathleen Kennedy doesn't have to prove anything to anyone in my opinion. You can say what you want about her handling of Star Wars, but she could retire tomorrow and her legacy as a producer and executive is secure.

What she's done before isn't what you base her success as head of Lucasfilm on, and that was the sole context of the statement about her having something to prove. You don't hire people to sit on their laurels. She's the head of Lucasfilm now and as far as that job goes now is when she needs to perform.

She has all the experience that's needed. If she's right for the job she'll make all the adjustments necessary to turn it to an upward trend.

Last edited:
The W-o-M should be pretty good for this, the majority who have seen it are saying (including myself), it's a whole lot better than expected. So, possibly the B/O will improve over the weeks and a $600 million take is a maybe.

Word of mouth on Solo, like the reviews, is "it's fine" or "it's better than expected". That's hardly going to get people to rush out to see it. You want to see "it's great" as the word of mouth to actually expect exceptional legs. And the fact that it adjusted downwards over the weekend reflects that word of mouth isn't "it's great".

$600 million is completely off the table. Solo ought to leg it out in the domestic market to $220 million, possibly more, but it's dead overseas. That's the real disaster.

Last edited:
I don't think it's mandatory at all. It's a business and all she has to do is run it effectively.

She needs to pick the right people for the job, stress the limits of a budget and step back to let the cast and crew do their thing. They can have the passion.

She's made some blunders for sure though.

This. But I think she might need someone to help her co-run Lucasfilm, someone she can bounce ideas off on, and provide a second opinion. Kennedy would still have final greenlight authority, but she needs someone who can help keep the budgets on track and make sure she and the directors are on the same page creatively.

And there it is, the "KK doesn't care for Star Wars" schtick. Only a matter of time.

Nah, she's only known George for 35 years, produced the original Indiana Jones movies, commanded enough faith from George himself to recommend her to run the company, and seems as invested in all this as Feige is at Marvel.

What a total paycheck-hound.

Personally... which is all anyone’s opionion can be

I think non rabid fans, were disappointed with the direction TLJ took
And have unfortunatley assumed Solo will follow suit.

TFA had a huge opening because of hype but then huge legs because people liked what they saw

TLJ had a huge opening (TFA hype) but then had weaker legs because people were turned off

It’s really simple, at some point The SW movies need to start making big big changes and trying new things... they have to in order to evolve and survive

But.... the conclusion of the original Trilogy is NOT the time to do it

If Rian wants to make contrary choices, good on him and hopefully they work, but do it after the origin characters are out, do it AFTER Ep9, not before

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"