Animation Harley Quinn gets animated series

Discussion in 'DC Comics TV' started by Primal Slayer, Nov 20, 2017.

1. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

You know whatever executive that open their mouth in that interview is probably on the chopping block at DC Comics. Because his quote statement "Heroes Don't do that "has been repeated on social media, on late night talkshows, the nightly news and the worldwide press media.

2. Sawyer High King

3. Yowza Registered

I think the cartoon show is unbefitting of the Batman IP entirely. It is just using the IP as a vehicle towards making unrelated content.

If anything, this cartoon shouldn't even call characters by their DC name whatsoever. It is like a knockoff beyond satire take. It is shameful cause I think shows like this damage these character's IP's as it isn't even an attempt to adapt said characters just create a vehicle towards making something entirely unrelated.

I think this show caters to the lowest and I don't think that's what is appropriate for these IP's that are just literally taken advantage of and not enough fans care anymore.

super85 likes this.
  4. Sithborg Hey Adora

Hope that means Livewire is in the new season.

If the entire show was like the first episode, sure, you may have a point. But its not. Unless I assume you also think Batman 66 is also unbefitting of the highly honored, beyond reproach of the Batman name?

The show is a comedy show that embraces the inherent absurdities of the DC universe. Comics are not, and should not, all be "srus bizness". Not for you, fine whatever. But calling it a disgrace is putting the character on a pedestal that is stupid.

#279 Sithborg, Jun 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  5. Yowza Registered

You think it is but I question your point as mention the 2nd season being different than the 1st. The 1st season sets the groundwork for a 2nd season making them linked. Therefore, the 2nd season can't be viewed as stand-alone.

Also, the Batman 66 let's not even bring up as no criticism from me on that. Assuming nonserious takes I am not a fan of is just a lazy broad sweep to dismiss my criticism of the Harley Quinn show as being moreso just a knockoff adult swim abuse of the IP. If it gave each character a slight twist to each character's name with different look then I think at least it wouldn't get the wrong audience tuning in. As it is, it is just using the IP as a vehicle to make something else.

The Lego Batman thing is a riff that works and people can pretty much figure out it is a Lego movie from the get-go kind of like making a Simpson's superhero special with each playing dressup referencing various things comic related would moreso seen as separate while being a celebration of the IP and comics in general.

The Harley Quinn TV show is just a turnoff in all the wrong ways. It just like some fanzine editor got a hold of the IP and used the IP as a vehicle to do their own thing. I just found it to be lazy, jeuvinile, and dumb and didn't care to sit through the episode. New take on Harley show I'll try again but this is a pass for me in more ways than one.

super85 likes this.
  6. flickchick85 Admin of Might

That's what I got from that, too. Fingers crossed!

7. Sithborg Hey Adora

Ooops, I meant episode, not season. The first episode is a good example of your criticism. Luckily, the show gets much better afterwards.

8. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Yeah the first maybe two episodes were the only ones I found somewhat off-putting and try-hard with the violence and language. After that, it was a joy. I love so many of this show's versions of the characters. It's the best DC Animated thing I've seen in a long time.

9. Perfect Cell I wish you weren't so f***in' awkward, bud

I finally got around to finishing season two, and I will say I'm glad they decided to give Batgirl her best costume. Also, Livewire as a new character would be interesting, since they have burned through a few characters on the villain side.

DarthSkywalker and flickchick85 like this.
  10. super85 Registered

Thats a intellectually dishonest answer from you ,as I am pretty sure you understood my point.A cartoon showing **** like that is tacky and juvenile. I dont have get why people seem to want this type of content with known characters or superheroes in general.

#285 super85, Jun 20, 2021
    Last edited by moderator Snow Queen: Jun 20, 2021
  11. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P) (he/him)

A "cartoon" is no different the any other vehicle for delivering a story. Labelling something as "tacky and juvenile" just because it is in the medium of animation is just... incorrect.

[​IMG]

As to wanting "this type of content", what I absolutely adore about Harley Quinn is how much love and knowledge it shows for the characters. From their well known character traits, to the memes and discourse around the characters. It understands them and uses theses great characters to tell awesome stories, that makes me laugh and smile constantly.

My favorite thing about this whole situation, is the person who decided to tell the showrunners that heroes don't go down, has now made it a part of Batman lore. It is now a part of the discourse of the character. Congrats. :D

pixen, flickchick85 and Snow Queen like this.
  12. Perfect Cell I wish you weren't so f***in' awkward, bud

I personally don't think there's enough ****ing on this show. I could use about 30% more.

13. Sithborg Hey Adora

Need to see King Shark's honeymoon.

14. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P) (he/him)

Personally, I was thinking 32.457% more.

flickchick85 and Snow Queen like this.
  15. super85 Registered

I label it tacky and juvenile because I dont see how that that type of content has anything to do with these characters. Whether its a cartoon or a live action movie, I dont see how it is needed. There are other type of movies were one can get that type of content.

16. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P) (he/him)

The show is pretty explicit with how the content connects to the characters. All the comedy is built around pretty well known character traits and the long running discourse around them. No reason to think it wouldn't apply here.

Your argument seemed to be based around your dislike of "adult content" involving these characters. Which is your right of course, but that isn't really discussing the content of the show, it's qualities, or an explanation of how it is "juvenile and tacky". That's simply discussing your disdain for adult themed superhero shows and you prescribing them as "juvenile and tacky". It doesn't sound like you or Yowza have actually watched the show beyond maybe an episode or 2, making your attacks on it well... intellectually dishonest.

pixen, Boy Scout and Snow Queen like this.
  17. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P) (he/him)

While I can understand this feeling on the first episode, the bar mitzvah episode is solid gold imo. It's honestly still one of my favorites. I will never get over Bane and Kite Man. :funny:

flickchick85 and Snow Queen like this.
  18. super85 Registered

Sure , I Care about about these characters so I have issues with how they are presented. I watched 5 episodes I believe , and gave up on it.

19. Sithborg Hey Adora

I think part of the problem is that we don't know the actual context, of the full episode and scene.

20. Shinobi Shaw Hellfire Club's Black King

I hope with Lori Petty reprising the role.

flickchick85 likes this.
  21. Sawyer High King

I love that both covers have Selina being completely and totally over hanging out with Harley and Ivy.

Snow Queen likes this.