HBO's True Detective - Part 3

Yeah, I dunno Bat. Maybe it's due to my affinity for old-timey hardboiled crime thriller books, but it just came off a little "been there done that" to me. Loved the performances, but you sort of see where it's going a mile off, and the tone/mood (while great, and they nailed the visuals) really is something you get in plenty of other detective fare.

Weirdly, having a little trouble finding comparisons off the top of my head here, though sure there are plenty. Like a less-stylized L.A. Confidential type of deal I guess. The Fall on TV has a similar type of vibe.

Doesn't mean True Detective wasn't really good, I just couldn't really reconcile it with all the seemingly ultra-huge hype a couple of years back, everyone seemed to be raving about it as some game-changer.

Count me in as being excited. January is a long ways away though, lol.

I think it looks great, I can't wait. I love how it's going to flash back. I guess that's the late 70s or early 80s? Either way, I think it looks good for what little we've seen. I'll definitely be watching.

Looks like it will spend some time in the mid 90s as well.
True Detective crews film on the Fayetteville square

Last edited:
Hope it's as good as S2. Unpopular opinion, but S2 > S1.

Yo I didn't know you were still active around these parts...I was about to say long time no "see". But then you said the above quote.

This is definitely the Last Crusade of True Detective. But as long as it's a great story in its own right, then I'm fine with that. It looks at if Wayne's memory is betraying him, so perhaps that might play with the structure? In season one they were lying, here he seems to be a victim of his own fractured mind.

Last edited:
This looks great. I can already tell it's going to be better than the turd sandwich that was Season 2.

The best trailer yet. I'm so glad to have this back guys. Not having this show for so long was like not having a piece of myself. This is my favorite show that much.

It's hard for me to get truly excited about a lot of things anymore, but this is one of the precious few.

Reviews are slowly coming out

The main takeaway here is that the third season of True Detective is not quite up to the level of the first, so far, in large part because substantial hunks of its plot come off like a store brand version of the original. It is so much better than the second season, though. So, so much better.

If this season is just Season 1 with a performance from Ali that is on par with Harrelson and McConaughey I think I'll be content with that.

think I'm going to wait for all the episodes to air, before I start.

Me. January is my month for TV between this and The Punisher.

First episode was good, forgot just how much I love this show. Even loved the opening song. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"