HBO's True Detective - Part 3

Apparently there's a cut scene of Amelia dying in her sleep. I never thought the explanation was important. The point is she died, there's never posited a mystery as to how she died. If that were the case, then it would demand an explanation.

Damn that was a heartbreaking ending. Maybe a bit anticlimactic for sure, but I really loved how it all came full circle at the end. Also, for the little Michael Rooker was in it I still thought he was great in his scene with Ali. Just an overall really solid finale to a great season of True Detective and such a big improvement over the second season which I still liked, but I was severely lacking compared to the masterpiece that was Season 1.

I definitely believe Ali deserves a Golden Globe and Emmy award for his performances this season! His best work yet, IMO!

Bit underwhelmed by the ending, but I loved S3 overall.

Last edited:
Yeah, a little underwhelmed by the case itself, , the way it wraps up, but it works.

The performances this year were so damn good though, Ali & Dorff rock it big time.

Not as satisfying for me as S1's ending, but a strong season nonetheless, imo. :up:

Solid ending, though nothing particularly shocking or disturbing, which was a little disappointing for me. Sue me, but I like twisted, disturbing ****. Still, Ali, Dorff, Ejogo and McNairy all deserve some award recognition because they were great. Also liked what I saw from Ray Fisher and perhaps we could see his character return (maybe to work on a case with Rust and/or Marty?). There had to be a reason he kept that address.

I don't get what people were expecting though. This whole season was about Wayne closing himself off, his dementia almost an extension of that, forcing him to confront his truest self with his struggles of memory.

That was the story and what Wayne had to overcome. The case was emblematic of him finding his life story. He found Julie connected through the love of the memory of his wife, prompting him to see the truth in the connection with Mike. The answer was in him the whole time. He just had to open himself up. It's why the second to last scene is Wayne asking Amelia to marry him. It's the most important moment, therefore memory of his life. It's no coincidence that the sounds of his grand kids bikes triggered it. Notice the dress Amelia wore in the hallucinations was the same dress she wore in that scene.

If you wanted some big, dark conspiracy you were watching the wrong show. Eliza was kind of the avatar for the shows fans. She was reaching for this crazy conspiracy.

This show has always been about the metaphysical and its characters. The mystery genre is a vehicle to be in service of that. Now if people had a problem with it on that basis, fine, it's just these reactions remind me of season one's finale. This show has a streak of people enjoying the surface details if it.

Last edited:
The entire show hinges upon whether or not you find dementia interesting, which I personally didn't. It found itself fighting front and center with a murder mystery featuring numerous connected fatalities and the hint that something far more ominous was going on.

The actual crime is then spoonfed to us during 10mins worth of exposition by the one-eyed man. I found the whole thing anti-climactic. But for people who found themselves heavily invested in Hays, I guess it works for them.

True Detective Creator Changes Season 4 Plans, Now Has 'Most Exciting' Idea If HBO Wants It

I had this idea, and to me, I think it’s a really strong idea, and it would be something I’ve never seen on television before. But since then, I’ve had another idea that I’ve talked about with an actor, and that, to me, would be the most exciting thing we could do with True Detective.

I think it would be really great for the fans. I just don’t know if we’re going to get to do it.

If he feels that excited, give him another season, HBO! Curious about the actor he spoke to!

Last edited:
Robert Downey Jr? They were gonna do that Perry Mason show that fell through and are friends and talked about wanting to do something in the future.

His schedule has opened up too...

Anyway, I hope this happens. Sooner than four years but not too soon. If Pizzolatto is excited about it, that's a good first step.

I just finished binge watching all 3 seasons. Overall, a good series. Season 2 wasn't as engrossing to me as 1 and 3 were. Mahershala Ali and Matthew McConaughey were outstanding.

Even if we ultimately do end up getting a fourth season, I'm sure we're in for as long of a wait as we were in between Seasons 2 and 3.

*sigh*

I'll check it out of course. Could it be good? Sure. And my heart will flutter with excitement to see that logo again. I love noir and the detective genre. But it won't be the same. It's just more the principle of it for me. I don't see these things as interchangeable. It's like doing Twin Peaks without David Lynch. The voice of the creator is the creation. It will just be another detective show so why not just do that instead? I'll be a little more optimistic if they don't go down the whole buddy story, cult and ethereal route which I'm afraid they'll do, because that's a lot of what people took away from season one.

If they're going to do it go in a radical direction. Set it in the west or 20's Chicago. You might as well just mold it in the voice of the creator. This can only begin to work if they don't replicate season one in the superficial aspects. If they do that then I'm out.

Last edited:
I'd watch a 4th season. Season 1 is perfection and I never expect anything to come close to that, so I've enjoyed all the subsequent seasons. Hopefully they don't crash and burn like Fargo S4 did.

I'm down for season 4. Season 3 was a better progression. So if they stay in those lines I think it could be good

It wasn't S1, but I really liked S3 for the most part. I'd watch.

They caught lighting in a bottle with season 1 that they’ve yet to replicate. Season 2 and 3 both had their moments but not like season 1

With that said though, seasons 2 and 3 were still enjoyable and it brought out strong performances from all actors involved

Bring on a fourth season!

Season 3 was really solid and I'd definitely be down for another season if its on that level of quality. Nothing will probably ever top Season 1 though and I actually enjoyed Season 2 for what it was.

“The show was presented to me in the way we pitched it around town — as an independent film made into television,” he says. “The writer and director are a team. Over the course of the project, Nic kept positioning himself as if he was my boss and I was like, ‘But you’re not my boss. We’re partners. We collaborate.’ By the time they got to postproduction, people like [former programming president] Michael Lombardo were giving Nic more power. It was disheartening because it didn’t feel like the partnership was fair.” As for their creative differences, Fukunaga says, “Nic is a really good writer, but I do think he needs to be edited down. It becomes too much about the writing and not enough about the momentum of the story. My struggle with him was to take some of these long dialogue scenes and put some air into them. We differed on tone and taste.” (In a 2014 profile in THR, Pizzolatto said, “Of course, you’re going to have discussions and difference of opinion, but what matters is that everyone is working without ego toward the best realization of what we have.”)

Bond Director Cary Fukunaga on Filming Daniel Craig’s ‘No Time to Die’ – The Hollywood Reporter

I wasn't aware there was going to be a season 4 but nothing would please me more. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"