"Hellraiser" Remake

I never bothered with the third as the first two are the only ones I heard good things about. Is 3 really worth checking out?

rick-and-morty-hellraiser-1276009.jpeg

The first is awesome. The second is okay, but be warned: It's the first movie but on a cocaine bender. You might have to pause it every once and a while because it doesn't know when to breathe. It's the closest I've ever felt to being trapped in a nightmare you can't wake up from. In one way that's interesting because at least it's effective, but it's more of a result of shoddy storytelling. It lacks structure.

It sounds a lot more interesting when I say it, but when you watch it, you might know what I mean. It's a little too intense on accident.

Last edited:
My favorites are the first 4. Love Bloodline.

I never bothered with the third as the first two are the only ones I heard good things about. Is 3 really worth checking out?

rick-and-morty-hellraiser-1276009.jpeg

3 veers into the same territory the TNOES films went, they start to throw in 'punch-lines' and it's less horrific whilst it does have decent story and links to 1&2. I personally like it but haven't seen it for years and maybe the 1992, 17 year old loved it because it was the film it was, maybe 46 year old me, wouldn't be so sure on it.

How ‘Hellraiser’ Inspired ‘The Night House’ – Which Paved the Way for a ‘Hellraiser’ Relaunch [Interview]

More surprisingly, Piotrowski revealed that the story idea itself was born, at least in part, from a rejected pitch for a Hellraiser reboot. He explains, “The Night House for us was an amalgamation of a lot of pieces of different pitches and ideas and stuff that we wanted to do, or elements from other movies that we were told to take out. It was like, ‘Is there some way we can build a container for all of our most beloved discarded pieces?’ Of those discarded pieces, a huge part of that was -back when Hellraiser was at Dimension- we did pitch on a Hellraiser reboot. At that time, it was a lot of looking at the Hellraiser story and noticing that the Julia character is, in many ways, the central character of the story. It’s her story; it’s not really Kirsty’s story. It is about Julia.

“We gave ourselves the task of finding if could you retell that story with Julia as a sympathetic figure who is drawn to this occult world through the grief of having lost her husband. And, to bring him back, she starts engaging with these dark things and goes to these dark places through grief until it’s this Black Swan style, beautiful story about that character. They didn’t want to hear Black Swan; they didn’t want to hear art house, dreamy, or beautiful for Hellraiser at that time. We took a lot of that idea. We still wanted to tell a story about grief that has beautiful haunting imagery. We still wanted to tell a story about somebody who’s going to dark places and finding secrets that somebody left behind. In some of the most basic broad strokes, a lot of the genesis of The Night House did come from us not being able to do Hellraiser.”

The irony of this, of course, is that Collins and Piotrowski are reteaming with Bruckner for the Spyglass Media relaunch of Hellraiser, coming to Hulu. Collins explained the uncanny connection that led to their dream project, “Ultimately we got lucky because [producer] Keith Levine used to work at Dimension. We initially met him via those pitches that didn’t work out, and he was the guy on the phone saying no to us. We didn’t have any context. Then he started working for David Goyer.”

Goyer produced The Night House. It was during production that the announcement came of Goyer’s involvement with the new Hellraiser. “I definitely remember being on the set of Night House with Keith Levine and cornering him,” Piotrowski jokes of the perfect coincidence. Collins adds, “I’m pretty sure I told him that we would never talk to them again if they didn’t at least let us meet on it. I was joking, but we also wanted to at least put our names on the list, try to get in there, and it worked out really well.”

It’s a dream project for the screenwriters, something they’ve been thinking about for a long time. Hellraiser just became increasingly the thing that we felt so compelled to do, and it was so frustrating the way the rights were just impossible to manage. For so long, there was nothing you could do about it, but then we did,” Collins shares.

The pair remain mum on plot details, naturally. Piotrowski at least teases this much, “We’ll get the hooks and chains. We’ll see. Hellraiser is so many things. There are so many elements that make it what it is and when you’re dealing with these franchises, it’s like, well, different aspects of it are different people’s favorite parts.”

'Hellraiser': New Cast Members Head To Belgrade As Filming Begins

Sources with knowledge of the production tell us that Odessa A’zion, Brandon Flynn, and Drew Starkey are now in Belgrade, Serbia filming the forthcoming reboot of Hellraiser.

Dread Central reported in June that A’zion was cast as “Riley,” the lead in the film, who will be a gender-swapped reinvention of Doug Bradley’s iconic antagonist, Pinhead. Now, Flynn and Starkey have been, er-herm, pinned as two new additions to the cast

Wait, I thought A’zion was just playing the lead and another actress would be playing Pinhead. Am I misreading the report or did the writer mess up?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Pinhead in the original novella genderless?

Hellraiser Remake Is Shooting Now And Will Be 'Beautiful And Scary'

Fresh from the "Foundation" press day, /Film's own Jacob Hall spoke with David S. Goyer who is currently co-writing and producing the highly-anticipated "Hellraiser" remake directed by David Bruckner.

"[We're] shooting as we speak. We're about two-thirds of the way through it, and it's going to be pretty neat," says Goyer. "David Bruckner is definitely sticking true to the mythology, but also reinventing some of it. I think it's going to be beautiful and terrifying.”

David S. Goyer Tells Us the New 'Hellraiser' Movie Is "Terrifying," "Amazing," "Jaw-Dropping"

Goyer confirmed that the team is currently in production on Hellraiser: "We're literally in the midst of filming it right now." Goyer also confirmed that the film is going for an R-rating with a simple "Yes," though he wouldn't elaborate on exactly how ultra-violent the new film will get (laughingly telling us, "I'm not going to answer that question"). Goyer continued on the goals of fidelity they're going for, and how the new footage is looking thus far:

"I will say that we went back to the original novella for the source material, we're really honoring Clive's work. I can say that David Bruckner is a genius. It's filming right now. The footage is terrifying and amazing, and the Cenobites are jaw-dropping."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/l-word-jamie-clayton-hellraiser-1235027637/

In a casting that gender reverses an iconic horror movie character, Jamie Clayton, one of the stars of The L Word: Generation Q, is starring as Pinhead in Spyglass’ reboot of 1980s classic Hellraiser.

The new Hellraiser is coming off of wrapping production and Spyglass on Thursday revealed the cast. Odessa A’zion is starring in the movie alongside Clayton.

Also in the cast are Brandon Flynn (13 Reasons Why), Goran Visnjic (The Boys), Drew Starkey (Outer Banks), Adam Faison (Everything’s Gonna Be Okay), Aoife Hinds (Normal People) and Hiam Abbass (Succession.)

Also announced was that Barker has boarded the project as a producer, joining Phantom Four’s David S. Goyer and Keith Levine. Also new as a producer is Marc Toberoff, the intellectual property attorney who has previously made headlines repping estates of comic creators such as Jack Kirby and Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster.

Wish they were pushing this as a theatrical. Hellraiser has the potential to breakout like Candyman, but straight to Hulu just keeps it in the DTV land it’s been in since I think 3?

Awesome news. Love Jamie on Sense 8 and The L Word. Never seen her in a villainous role so this should be interesting.

Pinhead was always said to be very androgynous in the original novel, so I’m onboard to see what they do here.

https://collider.com/hellraiser-reboot-cast-whos-playing-pinhead/

Barker is also producing an unrelated HBO series adaptation of his property, and he spoke about his excitement for this Hulu film take: "Having seen some of the designs from David Bruckner's new Hellraiser film, they pay homage to what the first film created, but then take it to places it's never been before. This is a Hellraiser on a scale that I simply didn't expect. David and his team are steeped in the story's mythology, but what excites me is their desire to honour the original even as they revolutionize it for a new generation.

Of Barker joining the team, Bruckner said, "It's been such an honor to have Clive onboard to help support and shepherd us through the incredible universe he created so long ago. Combined with a fearless and committed cast, including the amazing Jamie Clayton, who fully embodies the role as the Hell Priest, we're aiming to create a very special new chapter in the Hellraiser legacy."

I am less concerned about Pinhead being a woman (there is no reason Pinhead has to be male) and more the fact that this is still a direct to Hulu movie. They don't have faith this could do well in theaters?

Do people still care about Hellraiser?

I remember I first watched it back in the year of 2009 on AMC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"