Justice League Henry Cavill IS Clark Kent/Superman - - - - - Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
AxXjEM9.gif

LOL gotta give Snyder credit for a film that will still be talked about 10 years from now. Good or bad, it is better to be talked about.

There must always be a point where you draw a line in an interpretation of a character so as not to move that character away from who he/she or it is. We merely differ on where that line is.

Which means you don't care, either. You are more interested in the film incarnation than the source material. That's your right. I liked the snark in Iron Man but then it got out of hand.

There must always be a point where you draw a line in an interpretation of a character so as not to move that character away from who he/she or it is. We merely differ on where that line is.

In an Elseworlds situation, in a film that was not supposed to kickstart a cinematic universe for a broad audience, I’d be happy to see how Snyder’s philosophical standpoint created interesting and novel twists on existing characters. Nothing wrong with that. If he’d made Red Son or Kingdome Come, he’d have probably done a decent job.

But in a movie that is meant to kickstart a cinematic universe, and have broad appeal? It’s cretinous to have made the decisions he did... and we’re seeing the fallout to this day.

No one is saying you have to like it. Just say you don’t like it and why you don’t like it. You don’t have to try to say that it’s out of character or that it’s dumb or wrong. When all it really comes down to is that it’s not what you wanted.

LOL gotta give Snyder credit for a film that will still be talked about 10 years from now. Good or bad, it is better to be talked about.

Can't say that about any other CBM director, it seems. Except Nolan, Burton and Donner.

I think Snyder just likes the shock factor. He had a clean slate for superman and he built him up to that moment - he was wondering his purpose, was he alone, he finds out he isn't alone and then kills him - boom, shock, moral dilemma, character building etc.

But, that one moment could have defined superman in so many different ways - instead of leaving the movie thinking superman just snapped a neck, or the film buffs writing up 3000 word essays on how juxtaposed it was and how its an analysis of human nature, we could have walked out that theatre thinking - damn he's a cool character.

Superman looks around, looks up at the roof, grabs Zod tighter and leaps into the air - taking him out, far away from the city. He is wrestling with Zod mid air as jet planes swoop in, choppers poised and ready - news crew watching, kids in class distracted and watching the tv - the world stops and waits - the army on a microphone shouts out "we will open fire, comply or we will" Superman without looking at them, focused on holding Zod shouts "just do what you got to do" inane deep, booming voice, the general looks shocks, tells his crew 'you heard him"... news anchors hold their breath - kids eyes widen.
"3...2...1" lois looks away, the sky lights up, sparks ricochet - smoke billows, the figures drop to the city - the bullets track them down. Ambulance and military swarm in, the dust settles, one body stands up - the s shield becomes clear amongst the dust - the city erupts in cheers, tv stations high five - superman made it.
He falls into the back of an ambulance, exhausted - Zod's finger twitches as military surrounds him - he knows its over, the AI and two pods (beds) from the scout ship is there, Superman stumbles over and commands it to encase Zod. He looks at the second, obviously meant for him - he looks at the general "well, we had to make sure...."

Anyways, you get where i am going.

The arm over Zod’s eyes was genius. A really good joke, but also a clever one that highlights how dumb the reasoning behind the neck snap really was.

Then his arm would have been hurt. We saw earlier in the movie that his heat vision hurt other Kryptonians. This is an issue I don't understand.

I did laugh out loud at the bouncy house.

Can't say that about any other CBM director, it seems. Except Nolan, Burton and Donner.

I do find it ironic that most of the folks who do start that convo are all haters of said film tho. It has gotten better, but it used to be right out of the blue. Mos this and mos that. No smiling superman, killer superman, and i'm like yo, there are kids with flies on their faces dying of hunger and this is what you want to debate about? Life is cruel, mang.

But, I guess, as we just saw with Star Wars, deviating from the classic interpretations can be an arduous uphill battle with the fans.

The "classic interpretation" killed Zod in an even more upsetting way: he kills him when he is depowered and defenseless. He kills him with a smile.

3501196-5652539749-superman2ending222.gif~original

Snyder's deviation was to make the act of killing more moral and ethical, in my opinion. It's more heroic, and Superman's reaction to it is more sympathetic. The classic interpretation has all the things people don't like about the Snyder version and more. Reeve's version of killing Zod is actually closer to cold-blooded murder.

You can’t juat introduce a get out of jail free card like that though. Personally we’re it me I wouldn’t have ever chosen that which is why I didn’t was so shocked when it did happen. But this was the only live action Superman film in terms of tone and structure that it would work with him breaking Zod’s neck. The way he killed him in SII worked for SII as it was done tonally the way that film worked.

The "classic interpretation" killed Zod in an even more upsetting way: he kills him when he is depowered and defenseless. He kills him with a smile.

Snyder's deviation was to make the act of killing more moral and ethical, in my opinion. It's more heroic, and Superman's reaction to it is more sympathetic. The classic interpretation has all the things people don't like about the Snyder version and more. Reeve's version of killing Zod is actually closer to cold-blooded murder.

In before "but da deleted scene showed he's alive!!!111". :o

It didn't have to be, but it was. It's the moment we're given, implying no other occasion was worthy enough, and it's how the film vindicates Jonathan's stance -- the absolute necessity of “waiting”, past his entire twenties and well into his thirties if must be -- and it doesn't question it, nor do any of the characters. Lois says she doesn't believe it's an option for him to stop helping people, but the argument that he's been as good as a costume-less Superman during his entire soul-searching period wouldn't really hold up when it's clear that the events where he's intervened are only those that he's happened to witness. He's known by only a handful of folks and by no one outside of the bus and rig incidents. Not to remove credit from those saves, but if what's being judged is how they relate to Jonathan's philosophy and the mark it left on his son, they seem to have occurred in spite of it and not because. We see where he is at 33 and we see where he stands in regards to coming up with a life plan of his own that involves making himself truly available to the world. There's not enough there that would have led to a hypothetical of Clark revealing himself if he had never come across Jor-El or without Zod's cue.

But he had been searching for his heritage up to this point. He always had the key. He just never knew what it was for. Maybe he wanted to know more about who he was before he stepped out of the shadows. But the alien invasion was just the first time he showed up in public, but that doesn't mean he would never have, given that he had already put on the uniform.

That was such an amazing moment in the theaters The theme cues as Superman's hand crushes Zod's like a pretzel, followed by Zod's shock and surprise at the pain. Perfect.

Haha people can try to use that as an excuse but it’s deleted therefore it’s not part of the film.

It's been used as a counter-argument before, so it wouldn't surprise me.

In before "but da deleted scene showed he's alive!!!111". :o

A deleted scene that wasn't seen for years after the film's release. The nostalgic version of Reeve's Superman was the one depicted in the gif.

A deleted scene that wasn't seen for years after the film's release. The nostalgic version of Reeve's Superman was the one depicted in the gif.

Read my previous post to understand my point.

The Hype twirl goes 'round and round and round.

If you want to be technical, the part that's really out of character for Superman in II is when he returns to the diner to get "revenge" on the bully. Clark essentially lowers himself to the bonehead's level and makes an example of him. Nobody complains about that.

OR...is that merely a nod to early Superman, who was a lot meaner? :oldrazz:

If you want to be technical, the part that's really out of character for Superman in II is when he returns to the diner to get "revenge" on the bully. Clark essentially lowers himself to the bonehead's level and makes an example of him. Nobody complains about that.

OR...is that merely a nod to early Superman, who was a lot meaner? :sarcasm:

Yey people complain about Clark thrashing the truck in MOS.

Hypocrisy has so many layers, it seems. :o

Completely out of character for Zod. Try again.

If anything, it seemed like Zod was committing suicide by proxy. He lost his purpose, but he wasn't going to kill himself. Zod put Clark in a position where he would have to do it for him.

If anything, it seemed like Zod was committing suicide by proxy. He lost his purpose, but he wasn't going to kill himself. Zod put Clark in a position where he would have to do it for him.

Exactly the point I made a page ago. :hehe:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back