The Dark Knight Hongrrreh Dogsss: The Chechen Appreciation Thread

Ace of Knaves

Avenger
Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread on one of my favourite characters in the film, i just think he's a bad ass. I was wondering what other peoples thoughts on him are. I get the impression he respected the joker and thought he was right in what he was saying about what they had to do to solve there problems. If anyone remembers he was the one who urged Maroni to hire the "clown".

My favorite out of the mob bosses. At least he had the smarts to use dogs. they didnt show his death though :csad:

Chechen was gangsta! (pun intended)

"MY DOGS ARE... HUNGRY!!!"

best quote ever.

Yeah I really liked ths guy. I love this guys expression when Joker does his magic trick, it seems liked he's actually impressed.

lol yes yes. i liked the bit in the resturant when they all got arrested, it was like he wanted to get one more mouthful before they led him away!! he was probly thinking
"hey, cant you see i'm eating here!"

joker stole poor chechens little prince and the other dogs :csad: It was weird how they obeyed him though, how did he have time to train the dogs to obey him instead of the chechen ?

joker stole poor chechens little prince and the other dogs :csad: It was weird how they obeyed him though, how did he have time to train the dogs to obey him instead of the chechen ?
He showed them some magic tricks probably.

I thought the Chechen was a nice surprise too. I liked the way he smiled at the Joker after he did his magic trick. "I want to hear proposition" :funny:

apparently the novelization has a whole backstory for him

does it? i might have to buy it. i think hes a really interesting character, but obviously there was no time to delve into him in the film.

does it? i might have to buy it. i think hes a really interesting character, but obviously there was no time to delve into him in the film.

yeah it does, not very long about 1-2 pages. Basically to summarize:

It talks about how he was only a boy when Chechnya broke away from Russia, but even at that age he realized amongst the chaos, he had a golden opportunity to be strong and become powerful. So he started an arms trade and was successful for a while - until Russian troops reinvaded.

He then delved into the drugs trade - and called himself the Chechen simply because he hated the name he was born with cuz it reminded him of his parents who he thought of as fools and weaklings.

So he supplied drugs to russian troops, until there was some sort of raid which forced him to flee to the Bahamas and eventually to Mexico city - from there he considered which city to move to in the US as he thought the drugs trade had plenty of potential there. Eventually he chose Gotham because he thought given the stories he'd heard about the chaos following the events at the end of BB, it would be similar to the situation in Chechnya when he first gained power.

There is some sort of comment on how he thought stories of a human bat were ridiculous, but thought there must be something because noone could profit from perpetuating lies about human bats.

So he first moved to Bludhaven (a sister city of Gotham from the comics, where Nightwing operates) and proved himself by recruiting fellow Chechnyan refugees and massacring the biggest local dealer and his gang. This was all part of his plan to get recognized by Maroni. And it worked, Maroni got in touch, deals were made, Maroni and the Chechen became co-operators and eventually the entire gotham drug trade was under their joint control.

Then it says something about how the Chechen always planned to kill Maroni eventually, and he suspected Maroni planned the same. So he made sure not to get too close.

The story then delves into the scarecrow scene we know from the movie...

sweet. yea i always thought that maybe the chechan would want to take over, he does have some influence on maroni anyway.

I liked him, even though I had trouble understanding him at times, lol. I liked how he called The Joker, "Joker Man".

It seemed like The Chechen was the only one of the mobsters who respected The Joker, until he was fed to his dogs. :p

Yup, I agree. The Chechen was a cool guy and I liked him.

However, he proved to be the most thoughtless of the mob bosses, because he urged Maroni to hire Joker - and look where that got them. Technically, from the mob's point of vew, it would have been best for them to listen to Gambol and kill the freak while they still had time... Oh well...

Yup, I agree. The Chechen was a cool guy and I liked him.

However, he proved to be the most thoughtless of the mob bosses, because he urged Maroni to hire Joker - and look where that got them. Technically, from the mob's point of vew, it would have been best for them to listen to Gambol and kill the freak while they still had time... Oh well...

That's what happens when you want too much power...

woops.

i've just read up on the bloke who played him, ritchie costa and he done some voice-over work for the game BIOSHOCK. probly my favourite game of all time.

If you notice after he says 'how much you want' hes the only mob boss not laughing at Jokers 'Half'. I thought that was a nice touch

I loved the Chechan, he was definitely my favourite Mobster, I loved it when he was talking to scarecrow and he says "My dogs are hungry!"
What a Line!

Both the Chechan AND Maroni were nice little surprises in this movie.

yea i was think that too. seeing as though in the novel it says the chechan wanted to take over the empire maybe he was planning on using the joker to eliminate all the opposition. thats why he sorta not befriended him but like didnt take the piss out of him to try and stay in his good graces, then try to bump the joker off? little did he know that the joker doesn't care for these things and is more ruthless than he first thought.

I dont feel like he did anything to impress me in the film, and his comic relief wasnt very funny either.

The Joker's just a mad dog. He simply made the other pooches members of his pack. :cwink:

The dogs liked the Chechen.
Dogs operate through smell.
The Joker cut the Chechen up.
The Joker doesn't wash.
Therefore The Joker must smell like the Chechen.
And so the dogs listen to him.

I loved the Chechan character. He had an air of sophistication about him, IMO. And I did like how he seemed to be the only one not to mock the Joker [until the end].

He seemed impressed by Joker's magic trick, he told Gambol to back off and that he wanted to hear Joker's proposition, he didn't laugh when Joker asked for half the cut of the money, he told Maroni that Joker was right about everything and they should hire him to take care of Batman.

LOL! He even nodded along with interest when Joker was listing the things he enjoyed like gunpowder and gasoline.

I found the chechan more engaging and interesting than Maroni.

I actually liked all three mobsters. While they were small parts they were all engaging characters and not caricatures. I think the Chechnen was the most entertaining of the three to watch, but Maroni had the most going on, but both were very interesting and I wish I knew more about them. I liked Gambol as well, because he seemed to be the strongest and shrewdest businessman of the three. If they had listened to him, they wouldn't all be dead.

I actually think maroni in this movie came to power because of the influence of the Italian mafia and previous connections to Falcone. But Maroni was a much weaker leader than Falcone as he couldn't control Joker and couldn't keep his house in line with Gambol. He let the Chechen pursuade him to hire Joker and when the heat gets too big he gives Joker up. Something told me Maroni was more of the kind of mobster who enjoyed the lifestyle but didn't care for the work.

The Chechen was the more cunning and sneaky of the three and was trying to use the Joker as a power play upwards while Gambol was the "Sonny Corleone" of the three if you will. The hot head, but he also was the smartest of the three, because you really shouldn't trust a man like Joker.

I thought all three were interesting enough it was somewhat a shame to see them die (and none of the acts that killed them seen on screen was disappointing). Oh well it opens the doors for the supporting players in the mafia for the third to be a little more freakish in the wake of Batman, Joker, etc. I'm thinking maybe Black Mask, Scarface or even the Penguin with about as large a role as these three. But a nice nod to fans.

P.S. Does anyone think Joker was already planning to kill the Chechen and Maroni before he burned the money, because he was curious where the "Italian" was before he turned on the mob in a more obvious fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"