Horrible Movie Theater Experience Extravaganza!!

From the article it seems like it only applies to the night shows, not matinees? I’m good with that then. It’s probably been years since I’ve seen a movie in the theaters at night.

TASM2.....need I say more?

Interesting.

AMC Theatres to Price Movie Tickets Based on Seat Location - Variety

I think they would be better charging different prices for movies. Charge more for your Marvel movie but a smaller independent movie shouldn’t cost as much.

I have to disagree on charging different amounts for different types of movies. The theater going experience is suppose to be equal across the board with prices. Why should I have to pay $15 to see Antman when a group of 80 year olds only pay $9 to see 80 for Brady? Movies are equal forms of entertainment consumed universally the same way.

The issue is really is alot of theaters poorly run and managed coming out of a pandemic are now trying to nickel and dime moviegoers for where you sit. This would be the same outrage with me if all Applebee's started charging more if you sit in the bar area closer to the tvs as oppose to the dining room with no tvs.

Also they need to extend the theatrical window to help theaters because movies are coming out quicker on digital and streaming services like violent night on peacock a month after release.

I have to disagree on charging different amounts for different types of movies. The theater going experience is suppose to be equal across the board with prices. Why should I have to pay $15 to see Antman when a group of 80 year olds only pay $9 to see 80 for Brady? Movies are equal forms of entertainment consumed universally the same way.

The issue is really is alot of theaters poorly run and managed coming out of a pandemic are now trying to nickel and dime moviegoers for where you sit. This would be the same outrage with me if all Applebee's started charging more if you sit in the bar area closer to the tvs as oppose to the dining room with no tvs.

Also they need to extend the theatrical window to help theaters because movies are coming out quicker on digital and streaming services like violent night on peacock a month after release.

Fluctuations based on movie is begrudgingly the only sensible approach: some movies are wildly more expensive to make and/or those studios take a bigger cut, while smaller non-IP ones get snuffed out due to a number of factors (lack of desire/urgency to see it in theaters, not enough screens to play on, etc.). If you needed a night out and wanted to see a movie, and all that was playing was the next Jurassic World or The Little Indie That Could, these situations are likely:
- "No way in hell am I going to see Jurassic World, but come on, $18 also for [whatever little movie was playing at the time]
- You might consider seeing the indie if it were less expensive a ticket.

I understand budget/take size should be on us as we don't have a say in those negotiations. But the argument is still there that the "everything else" category doesn't have room to catch an audience in the current landscape, so how do you address that?

Regarding release windows, nope, no extensions. They want to have their cake and eat it. "We're going to lock you in to a 60-90 day theatrically-exclusive window, but we're also going to drop you in three weeks if you can't compete with Disney's holiday lineup. I consider Violent Night's Christmas week PVOD release payback for Last Christmas. We were looking to go out to a movie one night, and having seen all the other big releases, set our sights on Last Christmas. You couldn't find a single showing anywhere in Atlanta in week leading up to Christmas. Couldn't stream it anywhere either. Glad there was one thing COVID fixed.

Ultimately, this is an industry that has refused to get with the times by not playing nice with content providers or upholding the sanctity of the movie going experience, a term I think is apt considering Denis Villeneuve's stance on theaters.

I've never had a terrible experience, but 2 things have happened recently. The theater I've gone to my whole life was called showcase cinemas and it was in the parking lot of my local mall. During covid, it shut down and didn't reopen because there was another showcase not too far away. Last year, they announced it would reopen as Apple Cinemas. I'm very happy it did and it's been amazing to be back there enjoying movies again. However, the teen crowd that shows up there, especially for horror films, has been more annoying than ive ever experienced. During barbarian, some dude and his girlfriend, who were definitely at least 16 or 17, were in my assigned seat. Instead of getting up when I said "I think you're in my seat, bro", he tries to impress his girlfriend by asking if I wanted to sit on his lap. Just completely annoying and rude. Then, during Megan, there was a mountain of popcorn on the floor near the trash. Not in it, but on the floor with soda spilled everywhere. How anybody can be such pigs i'll never know. Ever since they've reopened there's been an influx of rude teenagers during every horror film I've gone to see.

You're paying for the ambience!

Fluctuations based on movie is begrudgingly the only sensible approach: some movies are wildly more expensive to make and/or those studios take a bigger cut, while smaller non-IP ones get snuffed out due to a number of factors (lack of desire/urgency to see it in theaters, not enough screens to play on, etc.). If you needed a night out and wanted to see a movie, and all that was playing was the next Jurassic World or The Little Indie That Could, these situations are likely:
- "No way in hell am I going to see Jurassic World, but come on, $18 also for [whatever little movie was playing at the time]
- You might consider seeing the indie if it were less expensive a ticket.

I understand budget/take size should be on us as we don't have a say in those negotiations. But the argument is still there that the "everything else" category doesn't have room to catch an audience in the current landscape, so how do you address that?

Regarding release windows, nope, no extensions. They want to have their cake and eat it. "We're going to lock you in to a 60-90 day theatrically-exclusive window, but we're also going to drop you in three weeks if you can't compete with Disney's holiday lineup. I consider Violent Night's Christmas week PVOD release payback for Last Christmas. We were looking to go out to a movie one night, and having seen all the other big releases, set our sights on Last Christmas. You couldn't find a single showing anywhere in Atlanta in week leading up to Christmas. Couldn't stream it anywhere either. Glad there was one thing COVID fixed.

Ultimately, this is an industry that has refused to get with the times by not playing nice with content providers or upholding the sanctity of the movie going experience, a term I think is apt considering Denis Villeneuve's stance on theaters.

I agree with everything you said but at the end of the day paying more for different types of movies is a dangerous slope. What would stop Disney from coming in and saying we demand at your theater where you have 10 theater rooms we want Avatar on 8 of them and we demand your tickets be $22 each as oppose to the usual $12. Its important all movies remain the same price across the board regardless of genre. Its crazy AMC is even suggesting this when Avatar is making over 2 billion

I agree with everything you said but at the end of the day paying more for different types of movies is a dangerous slope. What would stop Disney from coming in and saying we demand at your theater where you have 10 theater rooms we want Avatar on 8 of them and we demand your tickets be $22 each as oppose to the usual $12. Its important all movies remain the same price across the board regardless of genre. Its crazy AMC is even suggesting this when Avatar is making over 2 billion
So not sure where you've been, but Disney already dictates demands on screen allocation and, by demanding a higher cut of the box office, drives up the ticket price. Truth is, if you don't want this to happen on either front, vote with your wallet and just stop going to the movies.

So not sure where you've been, but Disney already dictates demands on screen allocation and, by demanding a higher cut of the box office, drives up the ticket price. Truth is, if you don't want this to happen on either front, vote with your wallet and just stop going to the movies.

Oh Im aware of their practices including them strong arming Tarantino on the hateful eight but my point was by AMC doing this you open the doors to someone like Disney in a side alley saying to AMC not only do we want you to show Antman on 90% of your screens but we think just for our movie you should charge $17 a ticket after 5pm. Bottom line its a dumb business move that like you said above people will vote with their wallet and hopefully go to other theaters not AMC.

Bought tickets for Scream VI at an AMC theater, first time using the new "Sightline" pricing.

They let me know my dead-center ticket was $1.00 higher in price than some other seats. The horror!!!!

Last edited:
I got A List so I bought Ant-Man tickets for AMC's Dolby screen dead center for "free"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"