How did Quesada get his job?

Havok83

Avenger
Reaction score
How did he go from artist to head honcho at Marvel? Who is above him? Any chance that he'd lost his position?

He got the gig after successfully creating the Marvel Knights imprint and bringing top-tier talent to Marvel again.

Resist the lame devil bargain jokes...resist...resist.

He got the job because Marvel is an affirmative action company.

How did he go from artist to head honcho at Marvel? Who is above him? Any chance that he'd lost his position?

Sorry,I can't take you x-junkies seriously.:yay:

He found the Golden Ticket and outlasted the other kids.

I heard he was a editor on a X-Title and then he just went up from there.Damn him to hell.

Asides from his horrid treatment of Spider-Man, Quesada is a damn good EIC. The X-books are great (well...most of them). The Avengers have great prominence now in the comics industry. He has top tier talent writing Marvel's books. Sales are great. And we have some really great books such as Captain America, Daredevil, Thor, the Incredible Hercules, the Immortal Iron Fist, and more.

Asides from his horrid treatment of Spider-Man, Quesada is a damn good EIC. The X-books are great (well...most of them). The Avengers have great prominence now in the comics industry. He has top tier talent writing Marvel's books. Sales are great. And we have some really great books such as Captain America, Daredevil, Thor, the Incredible Hercules, the Immortal Iron Fist, and more.

Agreed. Plus, he brokered the Stephen King deal as well, iirc....

Joe has his head up his ass regarding Spidey, but he knows how to coordinate talent and stir up interest in pretty much all of Marvel's other books, imo.

Yup. I mean, I'm seriously growing tired of these threads popping up like weeds.

I agree with most of that, except the Avengers have gotten just as horrid treatment as Spider-Man. :o

No, it really hasn't. It's bad, but it's nowhere near Spider-Man bad.

It's worse than Spider-Man bad in my opinion. Spider-Man's been regressed, but he's still essentially Spider-Man. The Avengers are unrecognizable as the Avengers at this point. They're a bunch of petty idiots or criminals.

I totally disagree with that. The Avengers might be a piss-poor imitation of what they used to be, but their entire history hasn't been retconned out of existence. The possibility exists that they could easily return to their status as Earth's Mightiest Heroes. On the other hand, if Marvel wants to return Pete to his pre-OMD status, that's not going to be an easy task.

Oh, wait. "It's magic." :dry:

I think we're talking about two different things. I'm talking about the Avengers and Spider-Man from a creative standpoint. I think Bendis is running them into the ground far more than the BND are going to **** up Spider-Man. BND is, by all accounts, readable and enjoyable, whereas I've yet to really enjoy any New/Mighty Avengers comics I've read so far.

From a continuity standpoint, I absolutely agree that Peter's is far more ****ed up than the Avengers'. That's no contest.

It's worse than Spider-Man bad in my opinion. Spider-Man's been regressed, but he's still essentially Spider-Man. The Avengers are unrecognizable as the Avengers at this point. They're a bunch of petty idiots or criminals.

I'm not disagreeing, but didn't people say the same about Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver? Plus it could be worse; anyone remember Justice League Detroit?

Honestly, I could probably enjoy an Avengers comic book more than a Spider-Man comic book at this point. With the Avengers, I know I'll at least get something something that logically makes sense. I can read it and understand what's going on. With Spider-Man, all these dead people are popping up with no explanation, and it wouldn't matter how well it's written. Without those simple explanations, it would be enough to piss me off and stop reading the comic book. Which, incidentally, I have.

Well, me too. But I was pissed off enough to stop reading Avengers, too, and I'd probably be likelier to go back to Spider-Man before Avengers at this point, having tried to get into the new Avengers status quo three times now and hating it every time.
I'm not disagreeing, but didn't people say the same about Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver? Plus it could be worse; anyone remember Justice League Detroit?
I don't know what people said about Hawkeye, Scarlet With, and Quicksilver because I wasn't alive back then. But I'm not against people reforming on the Avengers' roster. That's a staple of the team. I'm talking about now, how the New Avengers and Mighty Avengers are still carrying on their petty squabbles over the SHRA to the detriment of their ability to protect the public. To the current writers' credit, they have tried to assuage that to some extent with the two Avengers teams working together in WWH and such.

The first step would be combining the two teams into one and dropping a title.

I wouldn't mind having two Avengers titles, but yes, they do need to recombine and not be at each other's throats (either in the New vs. Mighty sense or the Mighty Avengers' secretly hating each other in various ways sense).

Yeah, that was enough for me to stop buying the comics and resort to punching kids in the face and taking theirs.

I'm in the process of dropping both Spider-Man AND the Avengers titles (save Initiative). The differance being that it took from Disassembled to now for me to drop Avengers where Spider-Man took from May's shooting to now to drop it. Avengers has been tollerable and had the ability to make me stay on for a while. Spider-Man's made me drop it like it's aids. AND I'm giving Avengers until Secret Invasion to change my mind. Even with the amazing talent coming Spidey's way, I can't even force myself to keep going. I was at a flea market day before last and the guy was willing to sell me the last issue of OMD and the first issue of BND for a discount. I opted to buy full priced Green Lantern issues instead... and I don't even read Green Lantern. I've decided to start in Spidey's absense.

So in my opinion... Quesada's screwed up Spidey way more than Avengers.

Now... that said... the man ticks me off at times, but I agree that he's good at his job. No matter who the EiC is at Marvel, they're always going to tick someone off for some reason, and though Quesada did it in a big way with Spidey, I wouldn't call for his job. For every negative thing I can say about his tenor, I can say about 3 good things or more about it. So in my opinion, he really is a success. I wouldn't be sad if he left, but I wouldn't demand a firing or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"