Days of Future Past How Much Was REALLY Retconned?

Apocalypse will focus more on the FC cast in the 80's. We probably won't get to see Famke and Madsen as Jean and Scott gain….

Well, in fairness, they are never going to kill off Cyclops, Jean, Storm or Beast in the next movies anyway. They learned from X3 that bumping off key characters never goes down too well.

First of all...the X-Universe is so vast, that characters should be allowed to die. Jean SHOULD die (and never should have returned in the comics).

I am aware that the heroes will win in the end and everything will be okay...but I dont want the movies telling me in advance "Hey, before you buy your ticket...please be aware that all of the good guys will live through this and everything will be okay."

Apocalypse will focus more on the FC cast in the 80's. We probably won't get to see Famke and Madsen as Jean and Scott gain….

This. I think DOFP was meant as a farewell and happy send-off for the original trilogy.

I believe a younger Cyclops, Jean and Scott are meant to be introduced in the next film (possibly with Gambit and Nightcrawlers return too).

SImon Kinberg has said we will see some of original cast In APocalypse so a few of them
In the altered future may appear In APocalypse.Who is the question.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apocalypse existed outside of time, and takes mutants there for his version of the Twelve...perhaps he could use old Scott and Jean for his plan, bringing Famke and Marsden into the fold? :)

Maybe they can do a Comic Book after the Professor reads Wolverines mind & finds out exactly what he was just through & that Comic Book can just be about the Professor explaining all of the timeline differences to Wolverine

I was a little disappointed when I found that out. My thought process at the end of DOFP was " Alright we're back, the whole gang is here again!" But it looks like it won't be that way.:csad:

At this point, any more prequels will be anticlimactic due to the ending, and no stories will be worth telling prior to then because the stakes will no longer be there... Unless they go with time travel again.

I still think Apocalypse should be worth doing because they need another film to close the loose ends and wrap up the trilogy.

The 2018 film needs to be a time travel film with Cable, in the vein of Days of Future. Or it needs to be an exclusively OT movie. I would go time travel, reusing the FC cast, plus younger actors.

So they are doing Apocalypse facing the Xmen in the 80's? That means its already taken place in the past? So technically the Xmen already won and defeated him.

So they are doing Apocalypse facing the Xmen in the 80's? That means its already taken place in the past? So technically the Xmen already won and defeated him.

Yes, the X-Men will defeat Apocalypse, and the next villain, and the next, and the next, and the next...and our heroes will all survive all of them intact. Now give us $8 to see them win!

I was a little disappointed when I found that out. My thought process at the end of DOFP was " Alright we're back, the whole gang is here again!" But it looks like it won't be that way.:csad:

I actually would love to see new actors for Scott and Jean because I've always wanted them to reboot the movies. Although the OT was pretty good, I really don't think we've seen a definitive X-Men film. Plus, James Marsden and Famke Janssen are getting older, so it'd be good to cast some young up-and-coming actors so that we can grow with them and accept them to be the new Cyclops and Jean. This is why I was so happy with DOFP. It sets up many possibilities. I will be so happy if the roster is: Xavier, Cyclops, Wolverine, Storm, Jean, Beast, and GAMBIT.

And what about the Wolverine movie? They can appear in that.

At this point, any more prequels will be anticlimactic due to the ending, and no stories will be worth telling prior to then because the stakes will no longer be there... Unless they go with time travel again.

I still think Apocalypse should be worth doing because they need another film to close the loose ends and wrap up the trilogy.

The 2018 film needs to be a time travel film with Cable, in the vein of Days of Future. Or it needs to be an exclusively OT movie. I would go time travel, reusing the FC cast, plus younger actors.

This is why I don't want any more prequel movies. It's time to go back to the present, with the original X-Men characters.

We wont know until Singer or another director touches it. The events of X-men and X2 may very well happen, but differently. Kind of think of it as an alternate version of the same story like when TAS touched upon stories/issues from the comics. The basic premise will have occurred but characters involved and how it goes down will have been altered.

First of all...the X-Universe is so vast, that characters should be allowed to die. Jean SHOULD die (and never should have returned in the comics).

I am aware that the heroes will win in the end and everything will be okay...but I dont want the movies telling me in advance "Hey, before you buy your ticket...please be aware that all of the good guys will live through this and everything will be okay."

Well, that depends on exactly what they intended and are planning.

We are all assuming that the altered future is also ahead of the new 1973.

What if the altered future means that although the original trilogy timeline is fixed, the past has now split with a second branch that has an unshown, unclear, undocumented future.

Singer and whoever creates the future films would be best NOT to introduce multiple timelines. They made it very clear in this one that changing the past would alter the future, not create a divergent timeline. That line and explanation was purely done to simplify things bc it can get convoluted if start handling it like the comic does

Well, that depends on exactly what they intended and are planning.

We are all assuming that the altered future is also ahead of the new 1973.

What if the altered future means that although the original trilogy timeline is fixed, the past has now split with a second branch that has an unshown, unclear, undocumented future.

Yeah that's a possibility. Do the timelines split then reconverge? Honestly, it would make sense to do a full on reboot and split the times lines to remain as flexible as possible. But multiple times lines are very problematic from an artistic standpoint. Only when a franchise is basically dead should it be used as a device, which is why Trek ended up doing it in 2009.

Honestly, I don't think they can drag this story much further and be stuck perpetually in the past. It has to move forward. They will have to pick up in the altered future at some point, whether the OT characters are back or recasted. Frankly it's going to be too tough topping Patrick and Ian, almost like replacing Nemoy and Shatner after so many years. I'd like to see them do stories where Beast and Cyke are the older statesmen, but not too old. Move on from Xavier and Magneto. I'm just not sure the OC will still be there if and when they choose to go that direction.

If Apocalypse would rise in the 80s of the Days of Future Past timeline, why doesn't he do so in the original timeline?

And where in the prime timeline does the time when Professor X and Magneto visits young Jean, as seen in The Last Stand opening, fits? Remember that the professor can still walk but is already bald and is still friends with Magneto in this scene.

If Apocalypse would rise in the 80s of the Days of Future Past timeline, why doesn't he do so in the original timeline?

It's up to Singer and Kinberg to answer that one. We just don't know. But maybe the time travel is what awakens/alerts Apocalypse.

And where in the prime timeline does the time when Professor X and Magneto visits young Jean, as seen in The Last Stand opening, fits? Remember that the professor can still walk but is already bald and is still friends with Magneto in this scene.

Maybe Xavier makes use of the prosthetic limbs that Trask invented. That way he can walk and have his powers. We see Trask's invention of prosthetic limbs in DoFP and they are also mentioned on the Trask Industries website. But those events won't be the same any more in the new timeline.

That will never be explained, it's just a major plot hole, we have to get the assumption that the time traveling caused more ripples in the past. Maybe sometime after getting out of his original prison, Erik formed a truce with Charles, or their rivalry took longer to progress in the First Class timeline.

As for Apocalypse, i guess that the time traveling may also have been involved with his rebirth.

Yeah I'm watching TLS now to appreciate DOFP more, and another Bolivar Trask appears in this.

Yeah I'm watching TLS now to appreciate DOFP more, and another Bolivar Trask appears in this.

It's a distant relative. He's the one who restarts the Sentinel program in the future, after Dinklage's Trask dies.

Although Origins had many flaws, I still loved the brother dynamic between Logan and Creed. After watching DOFP I've come to a theory. While at the end of the movie Wolverines story has changed, it doesn't really mean Creeds has. Maybe the real Stryker finds Victor alone in the prison and uses him in Wolverine place, creating the Sabretooth we see in X-men 1.

Although Origins had many flaws, I still loved the brother dynamic between Logan and Creed. After watching DOFP I've come to a theory. While at the end of the movie Wolverines story has changed, it doesn't really mean Creeds has. Maybe the real Stryker finds Victor alone in the prison and uses him in Wolverine place, creating the Sabretooth we see in X-men 1.

I actually think that the X-Men 2 Prequel comics were good to close certain plot threads, it had a Sabretooth meeting Logan after the events of the first film and them discovering they actually knew each other before, then, he is taken by Stryker in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"