How should Superman fight?

SatEL

Sidekick
Reaction score
In the new film we know he will be doing a lot more than just lifting things so the question is how would you like a Superman fight to be interpreted on film?

Me personally I would like it to be quick and brutal, two power houses going at it. When Superman smashes into a foe with Super strength I want that blow to impact the environment around them. I want Superman to also utilise his speed and other abilities in combat, any anime and manga fan surely remembers Dragonball and how fights were depicted on the anime. How the fights were fast to the point of both fighters could not be seen by people below their level, that’s the kind of thing I would like. For instance I would like Superman to be fighting a Superpowered foe and Lois to be watching or trying to watch but she cant follow the fight all she can hear is the sound from the fight and see the impact it is having around her.

Raw singular power blows, look competely untrained (yet have a raw deliberate efficiency to his technique, because he's never had to know how to fight with efficiency due to possessing boundless power). Single shots without a thought for maintaining balance for a second shot.

Uses powers he has at his disposal, rather than your typical combat style. i.e. Fly into spear tackle. Relies more on speed and reaction for combination attacks (when they occur) rather than an efficent fighting style which would lead to natural combinations.

Last edited:
Superman is actually extremely good with his powers, and his fighting style when done right continues this theme. When he gets a chance to actually cut loose, he tends to favor moves that take advantage of his tremendous strength and he uses his speed for defensive purposes. He should fight more like a brawler than a martial artist because more than anything else he has incredible power.

should he fight like Thor Hemsworth said Thor fights like Mike Tyson

I want to see a mixture of everything -- raw power, haymakers, super-speed punches and of course his ability to catch Zod's (or whoever's) punches and crush their fists, single-handedly. When he lets loose, the audience should be ready to crap themselves.

no martial arts.no matrix fighting style.

i'd love to see him use his heat vision quite a bit (not just once or twice) and while i think he should throw mostly punches, i also think he should throw kicks as well. Superman is supposed to be an advanced alien who can learn quickly, so this means he could probably watch a school of martial artists for a night, learn half of their techniques just by watching them then master them within the week without even using his super strength. i'd like to see him stick with the more powerhouse type moves, but i also wouldn't mind seeing him go Dragon Ball Z on someone as well.

I want to see a mixture of everything -- raw power, haymakers, super-speed punches and of course his ability to catch Zod's (or whoever's) punches and crush their fists, single-handedly. When he lets loose, the audience should be ready to crap themselves.

:up:

Like this
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2BvSqqmidM[/YT]

Or this

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o7jH8iVYUk&feature=related[/YT]

i'd love to see him use his heat vision quite a bit (not just once or twice) and while i think he should throw mostly punches, i also think he should throw kicks as well. Superman is supposed to be an advanced alien who can learn quickly, so this means he could probably watch a school of martial artists for a night, learn half of their techniques just by watching them then master them within the week without even using his super strength. i'd like to see him stick with the more powerhouse type moves, but i also wouldn't mind seeing him go Dragon Ball Z on someone as well.

This is true. Superman can learn things in seconds.

Whatever they do please avoid the "one-punch wonder" that Smallville employs. I realize it's because of Budget but just having one guy punch the other guy a long distance then repeat it over and over again isn't very interesting. A mix of greco-roman wrestling it supes is fighting something larger than him, like something the size of the hulk. Quick movements, lots of counters. Nothing martial artsy but intricate. Watch the Doc Ock and Spidey fight in slow motion and you'll realize how detailed the fight was. That's the level of detail i'd like.

Sure you'll get the big punches and throws but not on every blow. He should change techniques depending on who or what's he's up against. Example, fighting a Transform-sized robot, he'd use speed, heat vision, freeze breadth, punches etc. However fighting someone his size with his powers would be different than fighting someone like the Hulk/Abomination or someone with a different powerset. That's something i hope they explorre in the film. Putting him up against various threats with different powersets and seeing him adapt and use his powers intelligently/inventively to defeat a wide variety of threats. That to me is far more interesting than just seeing him brawl with someone who shares his powers.

[YT]IJE2SY-kNJU[/YT]I want to see something like this:

Absolutely. Part of his technique should be trying to outsmart the villain with his next counter-move. Not too many one punch power blows, but it would be sick if the villain was super-speeding at him and Supes used his micro-vision to ensure people are far enough away from the city and then stop Zod in his tracks with a blow to the head that's so powerful it literally shakes the buildings all around him and shatters windows from the force it gives off... sort of like a sonic boom from the impact.

Does Superman kick? Or is just punches and headlocks?

I think he can and should do anything he needs to, given the situation. He crushed Brainiac's skull at the end of WHTTMOT by stepping on it.

He should move to disarm and capture normal people when he fights them and brawls when he fights opponents of equal power.

This is true. Superman can learn things in seconds.

:csad:

Superman threw a kick in Superman 2. albiet, not a very convincing one....he thew one. i don't see why he shouldn't kick. in a desperate time when he NEEDS to use everything in his arsenal he should kick, headbutt, elbow, knee....whatever he needs to do to keep Metropolis safe.

for the lesser opponents, he should stick with the punches...but for the more complicated and challenging enemies, he should break everything out and show that he's more than just a brawler. it seems they're trying to make Superman more dimensional so that should include his fighting arsenal as well...

The way he fought in Superman/ Batman: Apocalypse was just amazing. I want to see that in a movie. I think the TAS/ JL cartoons showed that perfectly...

The way he fought in Superman/ Batman: Apocalypse was just amazing. I want to see that in a movie. I think the TAS/ JL cartoons showed that perfectly...
Agreed. And I believe with Snyder's style it would look even more epic. I personally believe Snyder was made for this movie.

Like in the comics and in the animated series.
Lots of powerful blows and lots of flying through the air and smashing the baddie multiple times before they hit the ground.

For letting loose, that was an amazing sequence. I'd like to see him let loose against Zod or w/e the big boss is, like that. The rest of the time, I'd like Superman to be methodical and precise with his powers (ala Sherlock Holmes), exercising restraint and compassion against normal human criminals, less so for murderers/super-powered henchmen.

Superman doesn't suffer from small dog syndrome, he doesn't have anything to prove and he isn't motivated by anger. His response should be proportional to the evil he confronts.

When he does let loose, punches, throws, heat vision and high speed flying tackles. Grappling is ok, but no kicking. Karate kicks from Superman doesn't seem right.

Location-wise, I think a battle on the Kent farm is long overdo for film. Clark could be visiting his folks when he's surprised by Zod or whoever.

^ You know, I live in Kansas. Yesterday I was driving past countless desolate fields. I looked out my window and thought the exact same thing. "There's a lot of space out here for Superman and a villain to duke it out."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"