How should Superman fight?

When he's fighting normal criminals, he should be very intimidating, but restrained and careful to induce no lasting harm:
birthright-human-03.jpg

birthright-human-04.jpg

When he's fighting the big bad, all hell should break lose:
[YT]VoJ2Bd41zsw[/YT]

i'd love to see him use his heat vision quite a bit (not just once or twice) and while i think he should throw mostly punches, i also think he should throw kicks as well. Superman is supposed to be an advanced alien who can learn quickly, so this means he could probably watch a school of martial artists for a night, learn half of their techniques just by watching them then master them within the week without even using his super strength. i'd like to see him stick with the more powerhouse type moves, but i also wouldn't mind seeing him go Dragon Ball Z on someone as well.

This is one element of Superman that seems to have been largely forgotten. Kryptonians had developed to the point of perfection in mind and body. Even without the effect of the yellow sun Kal-el/Clark is superior to any inhabitant of Earth both physically and mentally.

I agree with every point you make about the fighting style of Superman, but re. heat vision...I to would love to see him use it more often and in coordination with his other powers......however....it would need to be restricted to non-living opponents, i.e. robots, weapons, hardware etc.. Superman would never use it on anyone that it would harm, and for those that it would not harm, it becomes useless.

The heat vision he saves for those enemies that are just as powerful as him, even if they are alive.

Ok so this is pretty cool, starts off slow but turns out really interesting:

[YT]lX6Fa_bVCro[/YT]

^ Nice find! Needs a better sound track tho.

That ending gave me chills. Seriously,that was awesome.

Superman killed by chains, hanged? How stupid is that? meh to that trailer...

I think Jor-El should train Superman in some kind of Kryptonion form of mixed martial arts just incase oh i dont know, someone takes his powers away he can at least fight.

Superman should fight like David Carradine as Kwai Chang Caine!!! :woot:

He should even say "Yah!" when trying to do a (very low) kick.

I think Jor-El should train Superman in some kind of Kryptonion form of mixed martial arts just incase oh i dont know, someone takes his powers away he can at least fight.

one without martial art skill can't fight???? what kinda logic???

Superman's fighting skills should be : Punches, kicks (a la soccer or football. no fancy stuff), spear tackle (like Hound 55 wrote), grappling, slams and throws. Let's not forget a healthy mix of heat vision and/or superbreath.

I see Superman as a combination of a brawler/streetfighter/wrestler.

Just use the Bruce Timm version as a reference. It's not really all that fancy, he just lands massive blows when he can and avoids getting hit when he can.

Ok so this is pretty cool, starts off slow but turns out really interesting:

[YT]lX6Fa_bVCro[/YT]

I have to say, that was frigging brilliant, I honestly got chills watching and as an SR lover it was great to see those scene's integrated.

In terms of his physical combat style I wouldn't want him to fight like a martial artist but I do imagine a kind of like old-school fisticuffs combined with a solid knowledge of blocks and holds. I would say Superman's not really the type to use kicks a lot.

With his powers, he's usually trying to not do a lot of physical harm to the opponent if it can be helped, otherwise he'd just be burning everybody down with heat-vision. I will say though that various arguements for other characters being able to beat him usually come out of people conveniently forgetting that he has super-speed and flight which can be used at the same time. ..and that's before you even get into heat-vision.

A major aspect to be looked at is that Superman is going to be first and foremost interested in saving lives. If a fight starts in the street, he's gonna be doing everything he can to get it the hell out of there. Not to say you can't do a big city fight but again for Superman saving a life is always going to be the greater priority than beating the opponent.

So it's kind of like you have to find a balance between this awesome fighter and a guy who thinks like a rescue worker.

They should just take a look at Justice League Unlimited for examples of how Superman should fight.

I'd like to see Superman go all out on the villain like he did on Mongul in the Alan Moore story. One word says it all, "Burn."

There should definitely be a higher degree of physicality in the depiction of his powers but this once again goes back to the villain, it has to be somebody that can stand up to that.

I loved the scenes in the Matrix where Neo really let loose, like when he's racing to save Trinity. He was blowing windows out, flipping cars, like a huge sonic boom. When he and Agent Smith mixed it up, it was epic, especially when they crashed to the ground and created a huge crater that reverberated and shattered all the buildings. Things on that scale is what we need, or at least I do :cwink:

In the new film we know he will be doing a lot more than just lifting things so the question is how would you like a Superman fight to be interpreted on film?

Me personally I would like it to be quick and brutal, two power houses going at it. When Superman smashes into a foe with Super strength I want that blow to impact the environment around them. I want Superman to also utilise his speed and other abilities in combat, any anime and manga fan surely remembers Dragonball and how fights were depicted on the anime. How the fights were fast to the point of both fighters could not be seen by people below their level, that’s the kind of thing I would like. For instance I would like Superman to be fighting a Superpowered foe and Lois to be watching or trying to watch but she cant follow the fight all she can hear is the sound from the fight and see the impact it is having around her.

I would very much like to see the fighting faster than presented in say "Superman II" or even "Smallville". They always represent the blows Superman delivers to other, equally powerful foes as these great punches that knock them through walls. In my opinion, if two equally powered beings are fighting, then their blows will effect one another as a punch from one human will effect another human. We don't fly through walls when punched by someone of equal strength, so why should Superman? Superman and his foes already have these great, amazing abilities, so they'll be flying, grappling onto one another and ramming through walls. Still will be brutal and wreak havoc on the environment, but will be faster, like you mentioned about "Dragonball Z", which with Snyder's great prowess as to when to stylistically speed up or slow down action, this might actually happen.

I also agree with someone else's idea that when Superman fights, he isn't like Batman and is a trained martial artist, so I think his fighting would lack technical form. I always imagine the fights like a high school boy getting in a fight with the bully in the hallway. Superman does his best swinging his fists and tries to use his brain and the environment to win the fight.

I would very much like to see the fighting faster than presented in say "Superman II" or even "Smallville". They always represent the blows Superman delivers to other, equally powerful foes as these great punches that knock them through walls. In my opinion, if two equally powered beings are fighting, then their blows will effect one another as a punch from one human will effect another human. We don't fly through walls when punched by someone of equal strength, so why should Superman? Superman and his foes already have these great, amazing abilities, so they'll be flying, grappling onto one another and ramming through walls. Still will be brutal and wreak havoc on the environment, but will be faster, like you mentioned about "Dragonball Z", which with Snyder's great prowess as to when to stylistically speed up or slow down action, this might actually happen.

I also agree with someone else's idea that when Superman fights, he isn't like Batman and is a trained martial artist, so I think his fighting would lack technical form. I always imagine the fights like a high school boy getting in a fight with the bully in the hallway. Superman does his best swinging his fists and tries to use his brain and the environment to win the fight.

Id have to disagree about the being punched then flying bit, its simple physics really an example would be that Superman weighs about 225 lbs right? even if his skin is like titanium it has no weight to it so if i were to hit him let say with the force of a mack truck going 100 kph do u think hes not gonna go flying? of course he will just like an opponent will when he hits them, unless they weigh about oh i dont know 100 tons or so they aint gonna be standing in one spot for 2 long. Now i said mixed martial arts, a kick every now and again and a good dodge/counter isent something thats way to far fetched is it ?

Watching this "Superman VS Darkseid" video, I am now sure that Snyder will have at least one punch filmed in slo-mo, , just for the impact of it.

Watching this "Superman VS Darkseid" video, I am now sure that Snyder will have at least one punch filmed in slo-mo, , just for the impact of it.

Personally I think with the nature of his powers and how powerful he is, Superman as a character lends himself to slo-mo on film, I actually EXPECT there to be plenty of slo-mo scene's during the action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"