The Dark Knight Rises How Would You Continue the Story from TDKR? (Spoilers)

Im suprised Nolan went with the ending he said he didnt want to inflate the bubble and if WB wanted I think they could move forward.

The reason why, until fairly recently, sequels tended to be inferior to the original was because no one planned to make them. Once a film is done, that's it. There's no loose thread left to follow. Then we started making trilogies. Still, once a story closes, you can go backwards, sure, but if you continue it might feel forced.

The Nolan Trilogy is done. If you try to force it open, you're just going to cause more headaches later on.

The next movie should have Poison Ivy and The Riddler as the villains.

The reason why, until fairly recently, sequels tended to be inferior to the original was because no one planned to make them. Once a film is done, that's it. There's no loose thread left to follow. Then we started making trilogies. Still, once a story closes, you can go backwards, sure, but if you continue it might feel forced.

The Nolan Trilogy is done. If you try to force it open, you're just going to cause more headaches later on.

Totally agreed. There will not be a Dark Knight 4. It's a perfect trilogy.

In theory, the ending is great. But if they really tried to make a movie about Blake as Batman, it would seem forced and not flow with continuity. Blake is a young new cop. No way in hell could he take up the mantle of Batman. Bruce trained for years under the world's greatest mentor. Learning how to shoot a gun and read a person miranda rights isn't enough to become Batman.

I dont even know where you would go from here storywise. Even with a reboot what villians would anyone want to see and what story could possibly top TDKR. So you guys really think by the way TDKR ended that if WB wanted to they could continue with Nolans version withouth Bale and Nolan??

Honestly, i was kind of let down by Rises, but if they decided to come back to do another one, I'd like to see an Azrael type storyline where Blake starts to go over the edge as Batman and forces Bruce to come back to reclaim the mantle.

+1.

I was very hopeful TDKR would include at least an introduction to Azrael but alas, we got an introduction to a character both Bale & Nolan publicly despised.

How about another 6-8 years in the future where Blake has had training and may be Nightwing within the same continuity? He has his own family pain emotions that eat at his sanity. It is, at the very least, a character arc start point.

Leave it be. Go the route of Man of Steel and have Batman already established with no origin story. We know how he became Batman, we know his parents were murdered. I want to see a full out detective version of Batman ala Arkham Asylum/City. That is something that has yet to be seen. He is known as 'The World's Greatest Detective' after all.

If I had to continue the story I'd do it like this:

Have it take place about a year or so after TDKR. Have the Riddler appear as the new villain who has been obsessed with discovering one of the biggest riddles of Gotham: who is the Batman? He refuses to believe he is dead and feels as though the only way to bring him out of hiding is to don a costume and make scene. Once the Riddler strikes Blake takes on the mantle of Batman (with a tweaked costume in the style of Azrael's suit) and jumps to action. He's clearly inexperienced and the Riddler (who has been studying the Batman) deduces that this isn't the real Batman. Riddler captures Blake and has him call out to the real Batman to come to his rescue.

Eventually Bruce answers the call. He and Catwoman have parted ways since TDKR (she's off in Rome possibly). The real Batman returns to rescue Blake, but not in time. He's caught in an explosion set off by the Riddler, killing him (Blake, a la Jason Todd). Batman is now distraught and filled with guilt over leaving the responsibility to someone else. Now Batman is on a hunt for the Riddler who is leaving clues and riddles and boobie traps all around the city. I don't want another "destroy Gotham" plot but something. Throw in the Penguin as a new mobster that's moved into town trying to takeover the Gotham underworld. In the end its revealed that Riddler was actually working under the orders of Hugo Strange, which leads into another film.

The next film after that could deal with Hugo Strange who has taken over Arkham Asylum as the head psychiatrist and now, thanks to the Riddler knows the identity of Batman and (with his assistant Pamela Isley who uses an array of poisons she created from rare plants). Strange uses this knowledge to toy with Bruce's personal life and blackmail the Batman into committing crimes (like stealing files from companies and breaking into military bases Hugo once worked in but he was fired from). Maybe have Catwoman return to Gotham to help Batman and tango with Poison Ivy (also under Hugo's employ could be the wild card Harley Quinn who is a patient in Arkham and met with the Joker off screen. This could be revealed to be an experiment by Hugo Strange to figure out what pushes a person to become a masked vigilante/criminal).

I personally would continue it with victor zsasz, make him the one who slipped through the cracks

I wouldn't continue it. As much as I enjoyed TDKR I felt that "directors fatigue" was setting in quite intensely.

He wants to be done with this franchise so I say leave it be. Time for a new creative team to flow new juices into this franchise a couple years down the road.

A new Batman Beyond style trilogy, set in the same world. Villains like Mr Freese, Penguin, Clayface, Poison Ivy can appear since it's in far future.

I would not continue the story onscreen, Are you crazy? that would be like announcing Inception 2 or something, it would totally ruin the ending. Not everyone is going to see it the same way, and if they're told it's one way rather than another, somebody's gonna be inevitably pissed. It's totally not worth that to squeeze out another movie.

That said, in my mind I see Blake donning "a" mask or "THE" mask and still riding out bringing order to the night. Cause don't forget there's still so much more that needs to be finished. The creeps from Blackgate are all loose, and even the ones they manage to re-apprehend might have legal recourse to have their convictions overturned. And ever since The Joker, the threat of "super criminals" is still real for Gotham. This is a new Gotham, and it needs a new guardian

I think you have to look at some of the bigger Batman stories of all-time and draw inspiration from there, but also consider something that would be quite different from what's been done.

I'd love the Azrael storyline, but without Bane, it's lifeless. I honestly don't know where else they could go that would set up another series of films. Yes, you have The Riddler, Poison Ivy, Freeze, The Penguin...but really, how can they be done realistically in a threatening manner? Hugo Strange, Black Mask...not interesting enough to be main baddies.

There's only one place to go next: Superman.

A new Batman Beyond style trilogy, set in the same world. Villains like Mr Freese, Penguin, Clayface, Poison Ivy can appear since it's in far future.
I've been saying this as well. Have an older Blake mentoring Terry and get back to the more fantastical villains.

I'm hoping this discussion is mostly hypothetical for you guys. This was the 1st comic book trilogy to end on a high note.

I say let it rest. Or at least have the bruce story be over with and that conclusion should stay final.

There's always Crane :woot:

I got a kick out of him being a typical *****ebag as the judge. Was good for a few chuckles.

You can't really do much at this point. It would have to be pretty much Batman Begins Part Deux. Maybe Gordon as the new Alfred and Blake studies pretty much all of the martial arts like Bruce? Of course a cameo by Bale would be necessary, maybe something similar to the "trying to beat the light?" scene from TDK.

Anyone who thinks that Bruce would somehow come back to Gotham and take up the mantle of Batman again really missed the whole point of Alfred, Gordon, and Lucius going through the charade of burying him, the whole point of Robin John Blake finding the Batcave, and the whole point of the final scene with Alfred, Bruce, and Selina at that outdoor cafe.

Given that, there are really only a couple of options open to Warner Bros. were they to decide to continue to set future Batman films in the 'Nolan-verse' even without Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale:
1) A series of films set in the 'present' using Robin John Blake as the main character and Joseph Gordon-Leavitt as the star of said films

2) A variation on the Batman Beyond mythos with an older Blake mentoring the character of Terry McGinnis

If I had my pick of the two options, I'd go with the Batman Beyond route because it would allow for a new director (and possibly new writers) to continue to build on what Nolan and Co. started without risking negative comparisons and without people holding the new films up to a standard that they might end up falling well short of.

If I had to continue the story I'd do it like this:

Have it take place about a year or so after TDKR. Have the Riddler appear as the new villain who has been obsessed with discovering one of the biggest riddles of Gotham: who is the Batman? He refuses to believe he is dead and feels as though the only way to bring him out of hiding is to don a costume and make scene. Once the Riddler strikes Blake takes on the mantle of Batman (with a tweaked costume in the style of Azrael's suit) and jumps to action. He's clearly inexperienced and the Riddler (who has been studying the Batman) deduces that this isn't the real Batman. Riddler captures Blake and has him call out to the real Batman to come to his rescue.

Eventually Bruce answers the call. He and Catwoman have parted ways since TDKR (she's off in Rome possibly). The real Batman returns to rescue Blake, but not in time. He's caught in an explosion set off by the Riddler, killing him (Blake, a la Jason Todd). Batman is now distraught and filled with guilt over leaving the responsibility to someone else. Now Batman is on a hunt for the Riddler who is leaving clues and riddles and boobie traps all around the city. I don't want another "destroy Gotham" plot but something. Throw in the Penguin as a new mobster that's moved into town trying to takeover the Gotham underworld. In the end its revealed that Riddler was actually working under the orders of Hugo Strange, which leads into another film.

The next film after that could deal with Hugo Strange who has taken over Arkham Asylum as the head psychiatrist and now, thanks to the Riddler knows the identity of Batman and (with his assistant Pamela Isley who uses an array of poisons she created from rare plants). Strange uses this knowledge to toy with Bruce's personal life and blackmail the Batman into committing crimes (like stealing files from companies and breaking into military bases Hugo once worked in but he was fired from). Maybe have Catwoman return to Gotham to help Batman and tango with Poison Ivy (also under Hugo's employ could be the wild card Harley Quinn who is a patient in Arkham and met with the Joker off screen. This could be revealed to be an experiment by Hugo Strange to figure out what pushes a person to become a masked vigilante/criminal).

I like your ideas, but I say do them in a comic book series (like Smallville Season 11) instead of a film.

As for the films: REBOOT.

Here's how:

*The Batman has been established for a few years.

*No Robin.

*The look, characterization, and tone are all based on the Arkham games. Realistic to a degree, but also the higher-concept, comic book stuff like Freeze, Clayface, Man-Bat.

*Adapt the Arkham City suit whole cloth (pun intended). Except for the trunks...and darken the gray. BUT NO BLACK RUBBER!

*Villains for the first film: Hugo Strange, Oswald Cobblepott. Roman Sionis is an emerging character; friends with Bruce as a kid but abused by parents, runs his family's company after murdering them, snaps when Bruce comes in to help save the company...becomes Black Mask at the end of the film.

Whether the WB goes with Arkham-influenced stuff or not, they definitely need to at least strive for that tone: gritty realism balanced with Gothic fantasy.

That ending was perfect in that it concluded Bruces story as Batman and his life in Gotham. The whole point of the end, and the movie in general was when Alfred (in the batcave) tells Bruce that he never wanted him to come back to Gotham. He would take a vacation every year back when Bruce was in his 20s and away, and Alfred would hope to see him living his life in peace. And guess what? It happens at the end.

Bruce returning to Gotham either to take back the mantle as Batman or to just get involved in things would ruin the point of TDKR. It would spit all over it.

But it really made me want to see the story continue inside Gotham. And with Blake as the new protector. Whether that be as a new version of Batman or a spin-off as Nightwing? I don't know. But i wouldnt mind a new director coming along for a sequel or two. It's not a reboot, it's a sequel to The Dark Knight Rises but it would be without Wayne so it can still be looked at as a reinvention of the franchise.

These are my ideas..

Gotham now needs to be rebuilt, the US government will get involved now and help rebuild a large portion of the city. This is a easy excuse for the next movie to have a different tone or look for the city. Maybe a much more futuristic look. A new director, new DP, new writers, ALL coming together for this new tone and it'll make sense because it also is a result of where the story is going. Prisoners (like in Begins) will need to be caught and locked back up. This is why Blake (Robin) will be needed.

Gary Oldman and Michael Caine have both said they wouldn't mind doing more movies (i got the impression even if nolan wasnt involved) hell even Bale said he would come back if Nolan had a story. Nolan should leave and he will, therefore at least Bale wont come back. The only way i would enjoy a Bale/Wayne cameo is if Blake travels outside of Gotham to get some training from Bruce. But i would have no problem with Oldman's Gordon coming back for a sequel, reinstated for a little longer. Alfred and Fox can have cameos or if they dont want to return or god forbid their health gets in the way...there's always a way to mention that they have passed away. With Alfred possibly leaving Wayne Manor to Blake because of the whole orphanage thing.

Now, villains? Riddler, Penguin, Mr Freeze? Black Mask or a reinvention of Hush? New characters? Some of them could work. Personally id like to see Riddler, Penguin or Black Mask in this world.

I don't think i would want another trilogy. Nolan seems to be the only one that could pull this off, and even if he tried once more (with another superhero or Bond) i dont think he could do it again. It was like catching lightning in a bottle. A new trilogy would seem like a copy-cat. I think 2 movies could be enough. The first set a few years after the events of TDKR. And a second with an aged Blake. In his 40s, drawing a parallel to Bruce in Rises but not as beat up. Blake training a young Terry McGinnis (or a Terry esque character).

With people like Aronofsky or Refn around, there's a good selection of directors out there who can study the story of Nolans trilogy and see where it takes off from there, while adding a new tone and characters to seperate it and make Gotham evolve. A Batman without Bruce Wayne, in a live-action film is a challenge. A lot of people hate it. Well, you can always call Blake Nightwing if you dont want him to be Batman. Or if you do, it's a chance for them to do something different with Batman. Something that hasn't been done before on the big screen.

The least thing i want is for the next set of movies to bite Burtons style or Shumachers or Nolans trilogy, a realistic setting with a new Bruce/Alfred/Gordon/Joker etc. I want WB and other filmmakers to keep moving forward, and this could be the way. Instead of just rebooting with a young Bruce only to throw him into Justice League and having a fantastical approach. We had that with Burton, we kind of have this in video games with Arkham City. This is a big success this trilogy, people will want more, but us fans dont want the trilogy messed with or Nolan to return or Bale.

Fine! it's an end to that story but there was a cliffhanger there for Gotham and Blake. Somewhere, there is a story to tell with Blake as the new guardian. Whether you tell it on paper only, or on film, it can be told.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be against using JGL as Batman in a Justice League movie. It would be an easy way to introduce a new Batman to the audience, along with Henry Cavill. But I'm not a very big JL fan, and others may feel more stronly about it. What I do not wanna see is somebody continuing this universe, because it ended the best way it could, so no solo movies with JGL being Batman.

The next Batman-movie should be a Batman Beyond scenario, placed outside of the Nolan continuity.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't want to see anyone other than Bruce Wayne as Batman unless it was a Batman Beyond type of situation. But yeah, I have no desire to see John Blake as Batman in any incarnation.

In a STRICTLY hypothetical scenario that I don't actually care to see because I want this version to be finished:

I don't think Bruce Wayne can stay "dead" to the public for long. He's Bruce Wayne, and bound to be recognized eventually. But the funny thing is that the guy has "disappeared" twice before this, so it's pretty much part of his "eccentric billionaire" persona that he drops of the face of the earth every now and then and is sometimes presumed dead. So I don't expect the world to be shocked this time around when he turns up yet again. I expect John Blake to be doing his own vigilante thing in Gotham, and eventually going with the name Robin, though it's really small-scale stuff he has to deal with compared to Batman.

If they were to try and continue this story into a "shared universe" scenario that sticks close to canon (which again, I don't actually want to see), then I'd only want Bruce/Batman to appear in Justice League stories, not Batman solo movies. I'd have Man of Steel take place about 5 years after TDKR (putting Bruce at about 44-years-old), and when Bruce (now known to be alive, but not all that rich...even though his former company/Fox did eventually get back on their feet in some form once they worked out all the criminal fraud stuff with Dagget over a couple years) witnesses the appearance of Superman and whatever threat's going down on the TV at the time, he heads to Metropolis. I'd really want them to honor the notion presented in this saga that Gotham holds nothing but pain and despair for him, so Bruce wouldn't need to go back there to be Batman (...until Blake needs his help with something).

As for Blake? Eh, if they wanted him to take up a character that hews closer to canon for for the purposes of a unified DC universe, just say he adopted the legal name "Robin Jonathan Blake" when his father legally changed their family's name from "Drake" to "Blake" trying to escape the dangerous people who were after him for his gambling debts or something. Before they got to him anyway, of course. Maybe young Tim chose the name "Robin" at that time because in their old home which they were forced to leave behind he had a pseudo-pet/friend Robin or something. Then of course, as he grew up didn't care for the name and went by his new legal middle name. Or whatever.

But as I said, though I think it's possible to continue the story from here, I don't for a second believe that they actually should. Just start fresh.

The only sequel I would want to see would be more of a drama with Bruce discovering life and how to really live, and then although they share a moment at the end, a more deliberate reconciliation with Alfred. No mask, no cowl, no Gotham.

That being said...leave the Nolanverse alone, it is completed and Bruce Wayne has finally come full circle.

When the time comes to bring back the Batman franchise, I'd much rather they do like B89 and already have him established as Batman and do flashbacks to tell his origin.

Throw the storyline into Arkham Asylum style - with a certified relationship between Batman and the cops, a minor-established rouges gallery, and introduction of other characters/supporters in Robin, Batgirl/Oracle, etc.

Leave it be. Go the route of Man of Steel and have Batman already established with no origin story. We know how he became Batman, we know his parents were murdered. I want to see a full out detective version of Batman ala Arkham Asylum/City. That is something that has yet to be seen. He is known as 'The World's Greatest Detective' after all.

Yes! This is something that I've been missing in the Nolanverse and that would make me awfully happy.

Not to mention that those two games are awesome.:yay:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"