Hype User Reviews: Star Trek XI

It's interesting...the more people that liked STAR TREK, the more people there who "never liked Star Trek".

My wife has never been into Star Trek but after seeing it tonight she now wants to watch all the old Star Trek movies to see the character references she missed and then go see it again on Friday. She likes Spock a lot so I'm looking forward to seeing her squirt a few tears when she sees The Wrath of Khan :woot:

This movie was fantastic, IMO! :up:

It's your opinion, no need to stamp "IMO" at the end. Plus, it's not like you're in the minority by saying it's fantastic, no one's gonna blast you for thinking that way.

So, with that out of the way...

So far, this is my favorite movie of the year after Watchmen.

I think there are some Trekkies who like to think they belong to an exclusive club, and no one except them are allowed to like or enjoy Star Trek. I wonder if they also like Enterprise series and the last TNG movie, Nemesis?

Probably about as much as the majority of the non-discerning X-fans liked Wolverine.

This whole mock-the-Trekkies thing is pretty inane coming from posters on a site dedicated to comicbook characters.

I wasn't a huge Trek fan growing up, but was pleasantly surprised when I saw this movie. Yhe effects, acting, and action were great. I was especially impressed with Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, and Karl Urban. Overall, I give this movie an 8/10.

And that's while all the Trekkies are throwing a fit. It's like they reveled in being a private party.

It's so funny because the franchise was dead, and now that it's more alive than it's been in decades, they are complaining again.

Exactly. Now that the general public seemed to love it, its like they're upset because it no longer belongs to them...

Its almost like they feel Star Trek "sold out" simply because everyone else seems to enjoy it as well.

Again, this isn't talking about all trekkies...but most of them.

even if they complain, it's like it relevant to the public. It's all nerd talk.

My review:

Those expecting the enticing philosophical quandaries and dialogue-heavy intellectualism of Gene Roddenberry’s original Star Trek are going to find themselves struck for words, English or Klingon, in which to make sense of J.J. Abrams’ giddy reinvention of the classic sci-fi property. Doing away with the relentless and occasionally irksome talkiness which dragged down the series’ worst film entries – specifically 2002’s dreary Star Trek: Nemesis – the director has instead embraced the whizz-bang adventure style prevalent in George Lucas’ galaxy far, far away. In movie-speak (ala She’s All That, no less!), the unpopular, smart, pretty wallflower with the thick glasses and ponytail has been replaced by a sexed-up beauty who, while perhaps less absorbed with questions both scholarly and philosophical in nature, still manages to epitomize enough of the original’s better qualities to warrant spend an evening (or afternoon) with.

Opening, in fittingly epic form, in the distant year 2233, Abram’s Trek beams us aboard the USS Kelvin as she encounters a deep-space mining vessel captained by a pissed-off Romulan named Nero (Eric Bana). When negotiations go awry, and the Kelvin’s captain is killed, young first officer George Kirk is forced into the unpleasant leadership position, and charged with heroically saving the lives of his crew and passengers – which includes his wife, who’s in labour with his son, Jim – at the cost of his own survival.

Twenty-or-so years later, young Jim Kirk (Chris Pine) has grown into a stubborn, bar-fighting ruffian who, despite a distinguished academic career, seems destined to forever stand in the shadow of his valiant father. Nevertheless, after an earnest conversation with the distinguished Captain Pike (Bruce Greenwood), he enrols, and excels, in Starfleet Academy, where he meets the snarky Dr. Leonard “Bones” McCoy (Karl Urban), the sultry and secretive Uhura (Zoe Saldana) and, most importantly, the half-human, half-Vulcan prodigy Spock (Zachary Quinto), who instantly detests Kirk’s free-wheeling attitude. After first assignments are given out, Kirk casually defies his orders and sneaks upon the newly-constructed USS Enterprise, drawing the ire of both Captain Pike and Spock. However, after Nero rears his ugly head once again, Jim is called into action as the Enterprise is unceremoniously tasked with thwarting the villain’s planet-annihilating revenge plot, a mission which quickly leads to the ship being struck Captain-less. As Spock firmly takes over the helm, the cocky Kirk must battle foes, both internal and intergalactic, on the path to achieving his own glorious destiny as the future captain of the Enterprise.

If nothing else, the zippy entertaining thrills of Star Trek proves that Abrams is one hell of a masterful motion-picture showman. Working with an often clunky script by the hackey duo Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman – who previously conjured up the ham-fisted, witless Transformers – the director lithely tap-dances right over cavernous plot-holes, head-scratching contrivances and a possibly brain-damaged one-note villain by focussing on his charming cast and paying almost obsessive attention to finding excitement within every single moment. Whether in seat-rattling action scenes, as when Kirk and Sulu (John Cho) engage in a frantic tussle with Romulan thugs atop a gargantuan drill, or during the many exchanges of character-driven rapid-fire banter, Abrams’ steady direction rarely falters. Although I can quibble over his need-for-speed mentality - the Enterprise’s introduction feels glossed over, never approaching the sense of wonder produced by earlier films – and use of blinding lens flares in eighty-percent of the film, it’s impossible to argue that the director, while perhaps not yet a visionary artist, is a premier purveyor of electric, bubble-gum-pop extravaganzas.

While Abrams’ deserves kudos for his Dilithium crystal-polished technical know-how, he also proves to have a flawless eye for casting. The on-screen chemistry of the entire Enterprise crew vibrates with vivacity, and each of the actors finds the organic truth of the original performers without stooping to idle impersonation. As James T. Kirk, Chris Pine is a revelation. Full of verve and cool, but also a very moving poignancy, the actor charismatically steers his first big-budget vehicle with aplomb and seems, like his character, destined for great things. Quinto, as Spock, is more turbulent than the lovable Zen-robot original, but instils his character with a previously unseen level of palpable internal struggle which allows for an affecting arc. Also fun are Urban’s McCoy – all testy professionalism, Anton Yelchin’s agitated Russian kid-brainiac Chekov and Simon Pegg’s manically ultra-competent Scotty.

In mixing these dazzling elements with eye-popping space-battles, clever in-jokes – including a hilariously horrific red-shirt death, as well as a green-painted Rachel Nichols. Mmmm. – and even the significant presence of Leonard Nimoy himself (speaking wheezy expository dialogue with the majesty and dedication usually reserved for performing Henry V) Star Trek is an often sensational space spectacle. Here’s hoping, though, that its success leads to a more audacious and cerebral sequel.

You’ve nailed the launch, Mr. Abrams, now take her to warp speed!!!

3.5 out of 5

Last edited:
Well, I enjoyed the film greatly, and in terms of fun and enjoyment, it gets a 5/5 from me.

Everything brilliant except;

1. Kid Kirk. Hated that.
2. Call me stupid, but could they not have intimated slightly (more) that Uhura and Spock were an item? Understandably I'm not the brightest bulb, but the packed audience (cool) seemed to share the eyebrow-raising I experienced when she decided to slobber (okay, not that bad :cwink:) all over his face after the death of Vulcan.
3. Would have preferred to have the 2 Spocks not meet, and find another reason for Spock to stay at Starfleet. I think it would add slightly to a future movie where Spock finally finds out from Kirk.

I watch movies for enjoyment, so ignoring some plotholes, ridiculousness etc helps me get my money's worth; so sending junior officers (one of them 2nd in command at that time) space-jumping, because they have combat training (fencing and barroom brawling :huh:) didn't bother me. Incidentally, this qualifies me, because I am fond of the odd barroom brawl, and am equally as effective as Kirk :woot:...
Or that Kirk would be jettisoned onto the same planet as Prime Spock, and actually find him.
I would have preferred Kirk's captaincy to wait a little while.

I really loved that EVERYONE had a role to play in saving Earth, Enterprise and stopping Nero;
Uhura picking up the transmission.
Spock agreeing with Kirk on the bridge.
Sulu saving Kirk on the drill.
Chekov saving them both.
Sulu's piloting of the Enterprise, and decision to warp in and intercept the attack on Spock.
Pike saving Kirk and himself on the Nerada.
Scott saving the Enterprise.

Loved it. Now for Transformers...

Last edited:
Whats up fellow hypesters!! First off I have been a Trek fan since my
dad introduced me to TOS in syndication when I was a small kid. So I have been following Trek for most of my 28 years. While I enjoyed TNG and Ds9 neither ever held a candle to Kirk, Spock and the original crew for me. Then the final indignity was that Generations movie where they killed off my favorite character Jim Kirk in a lackluster fashion. It was then that I fell out of love with Trek. I saw a few of the remaining films, but I felt that my draw to the material was gone. Then last Friday, I saw this new Star Trek. :wow: My gosh was it amazing. And forgive me fellow trekkies, but this movie was the best I have ever scene Trek look. Everything from the look of the uniforms, and phasers to the amazing new starship Enterprise; this film kicked major ass! The opening of the film blew me away, and I was very moved emotionally by George Kirk's sacrifice.

The new cast totally nailed the iconic parts! Pine's Kirk had the right amount of swagger, and rebel without a cause type attitude to be Jim Kirk. Quinto as Spock was just inspired casting, and Urban as McCoy was just a joy to watch. Along with the other classic character being reborn, and Leonard Nimoy himself returning this film was something I dreamed would happen but never thought it would. Also to all the trekkies complaining about this movie...JUST SHUT THE HELL UP!!! You can all go watch the 500+ episodes and the other ten movies!!! But as for me I love the new direction. Let's be honest Trek is more fun if it is lighthearted, actionpacked, and doesn't take it self to seriously!!!

Wonderful film!!!! 10/10:woot:

Okay, so... it's time for my official review of Star Trek that, most likely, no one will read the whole way through.

Yet I'll post it anyway.

J.J. Abrams' Star Trek is exactly what the franchise needed, at precisely the right time. Trek was dead. Trek was forgotten. When you think about all of the "nerd groups" out there, Trekkies were ranked somewhere between Renaissance Faire dorks and people who attend Scrabble conventions.

And why not? Thanks to Spider-Man, Batman and Iron Man, the superhero genre is cool. The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter movies made the fantasy genre socially acceptable, too. But sci-fi hasn’t fared so well. Low budget sci-fi films like Serenity failed to make an impact, while the Star Wars prequels (despite making a lot of money) are generally regarded as some of the most disappointing movies ever made. The Matrix had a chance, but squandered that opportunity with its lackluster sequels.

And so Star Trek seemed destined to be forever confined to expo centers where guys who will never get laid snap on their pointed ears and stand in line for three hours to get Brent Spiner's autograph. What Star Trek needed was a good kick in the ass, and that's exactly what Abrams delivered.

Now let me be clear that I haven't always been a huge supporter of J.J. Abrams. I could never make it through a single episode of Alias because I found it to be pathetically stupid, and Jennifer Garner's acting made me want to swear off popular TV shows forever. Then came his Superman script... an abomination so horrible that I think if it had been produced into a movie, somewhere in deep space an alien planet would have actually exploded. I loved Lost at the beginning, but I got annoyed with it in season 2 an eventually gave up. But I did really enjoy M:I 3 and Cloverfield, so I thought, well, maybe J.J. can knock Star Trek out of the park. But I had my worries.

Fortunately, I didn't need to worry because the film looks great, everything flows well, and certain coincidences that occur (which many are calling plot holes) actually serve the films purpose with its themes of destiny and fate. Some Trek diehards, who would prefer everything to be scientific rather than spiritual, may deem such themes illogical. But I personally don't think it's totally implausible that if the time continuum is altered, certain individuals will nonetheless find each other across the cosmos. The exception obviously being death: if James T. Kirk had been killed on the Kelvin along with his father, obviously, he never would have befriended Spock and McCoy or took the helm of the Enterprise. But he survived, and because he survived, certain aspects of his destiny were still intact.

Of course, the greatest revelation here is not the eye-popping visuals, the allusions to Trek's prior incarnations or even the story itself... it's the characters and the actors that portray them. If this film had been casted poorly **cough**Star Wars prequels**cough** then it would have failed miserably with critics and audiences. But what we have are actors who take the reigns from their predecessors, make the parts their own, and are all given their moment to really shine.

Pine is brilliant as Kirk - cocky and heroic enough to hit all aspects of the character. As moviegoers, we often root for the bad guy for being uber-cool… but that’s not the cast here because this updated version of Kirk is AWESOME. Like many people have been saying, all you have to do is watch Pine in this film and you can see that he's going to become a HUGE star. Quinto's Spock is great too... one of the most challenging things to do as an actor is to try and show emotion while simultaneously suppressing said emotion. Quinto does it perfectly. Urban makes a great Bones. He seems to channel his predecessor more than any of the other actors, and yet, he still manages to feel fresh and new. Pegg is hilarious as Scotty. Saldana is endearing and sexy as Uhura. Yelchin and Cho work very well as Checkov and Sulu and I’m anxious to see more of them. And Greenwood really brought a lot to the table as Pike; hopefully he’ll be back in the sequels because he has perfect presence of authority.

As for the bad guys, well, Nero wasn't as fleshed out as someone like Khan, but put it in perspective - this film had to introduce a LOT of characters. If they had spent too much time on a bad guy who will (most likely) never show up again, then it could have been easily bogged down. Therefore, I think that Nero worked well within the confines of the movie.

Star Trek was, by far, the movie that I was most eagerly anticipating this summer, and I'm glad to see that it turned out to be all that I hoped it would be... possibly more. I can't wait for part 2. Now if J.J. Abrams can pull off something this good with his "Dark Tower" adaptation, I think I'm going to have to build an alter to him.

Minor complaints... it felt like the film began kind of abruptly, but I suppose that's not a bad thing. I think I was just expecting a slower lead-in. Also, the scene with Kirk's mother giving birth was very touching, but that alien chick with the weird eyes looked so freaky it kind of took me out of the moment. Oh, and as much as I love Nimoy, I think I would have rather had Pine deliver the "Space, the final frontier" speech at the end. After all, that IS Kirk's line.

Other than that, I thought the film was phenomenal. This new Enterprise crew has the potential to boldly take this franchise where it has never gone before. Make it so.

9.5/10

but that alien chick with the weird eyes looked so freaky it kind of took me out of the moment. Oh, and as much as I love Nimoy, I think I would have rather had Pine deliver the "Space, the final frontier" speech at the end. After all, that IS Kirk's line.

:woot:

Yea, didn't think of that, SHatner prob would have turned it down, but that would have made the thing perfect, and it already was.

I'd give it a 4 out of 5. It's a very good step in a new direction for this franchise, and watching it in IMAX was quite a treat. I had my gripes with it; Kirk was annoying for most of the film, the random music at the beginning was out of place, and there was a little too much lens flare. But they're just that- gripes. Minor ones at that. This was well-written, very pretty, and had an emotional core the franchise has been missing for some time. I'm all for another film if Abrams, Orci, and Kurtzman (who seem to have found their niche with this) are coming back.

If this film had been casted poorly **cough**Star Wars prequels**cough** then it would have failed miserably with critics and audiences.

I agree with the point of having a good cast but the Star Wars prequels suffered from something else.

I'd give it a 4 out of 5. It's a very good step in a new direction for this franchise, and watching it in IMAX was quite a treat. I had my gripes with it; Kirk was annoying for most of the film, the random music at the beginning was out of place, and there was a little too much lens flare. But they're just that- gripes. Minor ones at that. This was well-written, very pretty, and had an emotional core the franchise has been missing for some time. I'm all for another film if Abrams, Orci, and Kurtzman (who seem to have found their niche with this) are coming back.
I disagree. I thought Pine as Kirk was one of the many things that made this film succeed. But we are all entitled to our opinion. And Michael Giacchino's score for the film was PERFECT!!:yay: Love it!!

My full review of Star Trek, also available in the "Goes to the Movies" thread:

It's been almost a week since I've seen it, and I've had considerable time to mull over it and absorb the musings of the general public ("This movie ****ing rocks!"), the fringe iconoclasts ("J.J. Abrams is no talent hack!) and the people in between ("Set phasers to 'meh'!"). I fall somewhere in between the last two.

"Star Trek", the brain child of sci-fi legend Gene Roddenberry, was a visionary television series that broke racial and gender boundaries, and pondered questions both cosmic and mundane. The crew of the USS Enterprised consisted of distinct, fully formed characters each with their own backstories that would color the way they reacted to the fantastic things found on their voyages. For example, when the crew of the enterprise is greeted by the Greek god Apollo, he proclaims "I am Apollo", the Russian ensign Pavel Chekov retorts "And I am the czar of all Russias!".

So you can see why the news of a Star Trek prequel/reboot directed by J.J. Abrams and promising a young, sexy cast sent many devoted Trekkies in to a tizzy. The good news is that the young, sexy cast is the best part of the film. The bad news is that J.J. Abrams and his screenwriting team are the worst part. The film starts out with a strong foundation, but quickly begins to unravel once - most of - the crew boards the Enterprise for the first time.

The film opens with a nicely done prologue which introduces the main antagonist, a time traveling Romulan captain named Nero (Eric Bana). The prologue also depicts the death of one George Kirk. Wouldn't you know it, his pregnant wife begins to give birth to their son in the seconds counting down to her husbands noble demise. Flash forward to several years later in Iowa, and that infant has grown in to James Tiberius Kirk, and he's a precocious little scamp. He steals an old convertible from his guardians and speeds through the heartland whilst rocking out to the Beastie Boys. Reader, I would be lying if I said that scene didn't slap a big goofy smile on my face. Flash forward some more and Kirk, played by Christopher Pine, is a bar brawling rogue who gets an offer of a lifetime from Christopher Pike (Invaluable Canadian character actor Bruce Greenwood). He says, "You're father was a captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your own. I dare you to do better".

As it turns out, Pike knew which buttons to push and Kirk is soon enrolled in the Starfleet Academy where he meets and instantly befriends Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy (Karl Urban). Kany great friendships have begun with the words "I may throw up on you". This is no different. After some nice interludes at the Academy (Kirk makes it with a green chick played by Rachel Nichols and cheats on the Kobayashi Maru) the Starfleet cadets of Bones, Kirk, and Uhura (Zoe Saldana) along with Lieutenant Commander Spock (Zachary Quinto) board the enterprise to investigate a distress call from the planet Vulcan. At this point you can almost feel the movie derailing itself when it launches in to lots of hollow, whiz bang action and special effects.

The action sequences that don't involve space ships suffer from that headache inducing shaky cam technique. A prime example would be the fight between Kirk, Sulu (John Cho),and two Romulans on a giant drill protruding from the Romulan ship. I defy someone to clearly make out what exactly happens in the fight between Kirk and his opponent, and Sulu's simultaneous sword fight - say that three times fast! - is equally murky. When are film makers going to learn that shaky cam only detracts from the excitment of fight scenes by robbing us of the visual energy provided by clearly visible fight choreography? This is not the only flaw with the films visual style, which includes a curiously high use of lense flares and distractingingly showy camerawork during scenes of simple dialogue. Of course, these visual flaws did not bother me as much as they bothered other critics, but its certainly worth noting.

And now we get to the script. The script obviously suffers from the fact that the film must reintroduce the already familiar Enterprise crew, and then attempt to create a coherent plot about the Romulan villains plans. To elaborate, Nero travels to an alternate past through a black hole and plans to destroy all of the planets in the Federation. He believes that the Federations negligence was the cause of his home planets destruction. He holds a particular hatred for future Ambassador Spock (Leonard Nimoy) because Spock was the one sent to protect Romulus in the first place. This creates a parallel, alternate past where Kirk has to be told that he and Spock are "destined" to become great friends rather than become friends on their own. All of this sounds fine in writing, but it ends up rather formless and seems like tacked on filler between the big, loud action sequences.

But the movie isn't all bad. I'll be damned if this fresh young cast didn't win me over, and there are some really nice scenes in the beginning and peppered throughout the middle with real character and charm. Pine brings a rebellious, energetic brashness to Kirk that is more cynical than the Shatner portrayal. Quinto does a fine job of balancing Spock's mannered, logical Vulcan quirks with brief moments of humanity. John Cho wisely chooses not to impersonate George Takei and as such inhabits the character of Sulu on his own terms. Anton Yelchin is serviceable as Chekov and Simon Pegg gets shafted since Scotty isn't introduced until a good two thirds in to the movie. There's some inexplicable stunt casting involving Winona Ryder as Spock's human mother Amanda Grayson and Tyler Perry as the head of Starfleet Academy.

The movie doesn't have the quiet thoughtfulness of the television series, nor does it have that sense of exploration and adventure. But some of the action sequences are fun and I'll be damned if the cast didn't win me over in spite of the films many, many flaws. Perhaps the next film will retain the charming cast, but ditch the showy director and hire real screenwriters to give it a better, more thoughtful script. Big box office and an overall seal of critical approval basically ensures a sequel, so perhaps when "Star Trek 2" sets its phaser to "kill" the damn thing won't backfire quite as badly.

5/10

This was just to reintroduce to the characters. It really has no time explaining the political and social themes of the show. It's just getting started. To me, this is more welcome than some people just standing around talking for 20 minutes, as BlackLantern put it.

This ST works. It doesn't have to be like Roddenberry's Trek. The spirit is there, the characters are, more now than in a long time. This is just a new take on ST. Who says it has to stay in the confines of what the original show was about? Have some fun with it.

I'm not bashing you Sarge, it's your opinion, and I enjoyed your review, but I'm just saying, to everyone concerned with ST morally, this is a different take.

I like the OS for what it is, I like this for what it is.

People take Trek so seriously it amazes me. You're talking about a show set in space where the main characters fight Greek gods and aliens named Klingons. You're talking about a captain who, rather than selecting one of his 200 crew members to lead away teams, ALWAYS goes down to the unknown planet himself. You're talking about a future where every country on planet Earth will wake up one day, put aside their differences, and join hands as one government... and then move onto trying to unite the galaxy.

Put it in perspective. Trek was significant for its political and social themes at the time, but in this day of age, I really don't see it being relevant in that area any longer. Interacial kisses and multiple ethnicities exist on every show these days. Gender boundaries (on TV and in movies, anyway) have been pretty much done away with. Trek doesn't need to try and tackle these areas today. Let it just be what it is; a wholly entertaining sci-fi adventure.

I don't see how this was stupid. Did it have some annoying scenes? Yes. Was it heavy in CGI? Yes. But as a whole, it was more than event movie spectacle. It had character arcs that made sense to previous characterizations and a well-structured plot. Transformers this was not.

This was just to reintroduce to the characters. It really has no time explaining the political and social themes of the show. It's just getting started. To me, this is more welcome than some people just standing around talking for 20 minutes, as BlackLantern put it.

This ST works. It doesn't have to be like Roddenberry's Trek. The spirit is there, the characters are, more now than in a long time. This is just a new take on ST. Who says it has to stay in the confines of what the original show was about? Have some fun with it.

I'm not bashing you Sarge, it's your opinion, and I enjoyed your review, but I'm just saying, to everyone concerned with ST morally, this is a different take.

I like the OS for what it is, I like this for what it is.

People take Trek so seriously it amazes me. You're talking about a show set in space where the main characters fight Greek gods and aliens named Klingons. You're talking about a captain who, rather than selecting one of his 200 crew members to lead away teams, ALWAYS goes down to the unknown planet himself. You're talking about a future where every country on planet Earth will wake up one day, put aside their differences, and join hands as one government... and then move onto trying to unite the galaxy.

Put it in perspective. Trek was significant for its political and social themes at the time, but in this day of age, I really don't see it being relevant in that area any longer. Interacial kisses and multiple ethnicities exist on every show these days. Gender boundaries (on TV and in movies, anyway) have been pretty much done away with. Trek doesn't need to try and tackle these areas today. Let it just be what it is; a wholly entertaining sci-fi adventure.
I'm not saying it needs to tackle the same things that the original show did because the majority of those things (especially race and gender stuff) are basically no longer an issue. But Star Trek also had intelligent plots involving political and philisophical thought that were basically the foundation of the whole series. And then, like Episode29 said, there was that sense of loss and homelessness and frontier adventure. This movie is a launching point, yes. But that also means that it would have been the perfect movie to establish the tone of adventure and exploration and start the series off strong with a competently structured plot with more intelligence and challenging implications than "Madman threatens to destroy planets as revenge scheme" thing. That plot is a little more than stale at this point.

Hmm, well, you have a good opinion. I already got the sense of adventure and danger. Doesn't adventure deal with danger as well? Isn't that what makes adventure in some cases? The danger of blowing up a planet, space travel, hell, even time travel, etc, people will tell you that's adventure.

And it's just started. And this is a new universe not neccasarilly in line with Roddenberry's ST which some of your opinions are drawking from the OS about political and social themes and such. I mean, maybe in the sequel we'll get that. But I don't mind if we don't. This film had adventure and fun. But it also provided questions about your path. I mean, though obvious, it's a case with the time travel thing and the destiny of Kirk and Spock. Where will they go? What will they do? Do they question themselves about how their alternative lives were and want to follow up with that or will they follow their own path? I think that's what they were going for. That's what I saw anyway. It's all about destiny to me. That's always been a strong theme. That's enough is fine.

Last edited:
STAR TREK (2009)

l_b6a86da551824ac08bd69e31293b442d.jpg

[YT]7w4vk5OZmn8[/YT]

Directed by ... J.J. Abrams
Written by … Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman
Based on the Star Trek universe Created by ... Gene Roddenberry

Executive Produced by ... Bryan Burk, Jeffrey Chernov, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman
Produced by ... Damon Lindelof and J.J. Abrams
Cinematography by … Daniel Mindel
Production Design by … Scott Chambliss
Costume Design by … Michael Kaplan
Make Up Design by … Mindy Hall, Joel Harlow, Barney Burman, Rob Burman and Aida Caefer
Art Direction By … Cut Beech, Dennis Bradford, Keith P. Cunningham, Luke Freeborn, Beat Frutiger and Gary Kosko
Editing by ... Maryann Brandon and Mary Jo Markey
Original Score by ... Michael Giacchino

Chris Pine ... James Tiberius Kirk
Zachary Quinto ... Spock
Leonard Nimoy ... Spock Prime
Eric Bana ... Nero
Bruce Greenwood ... Capt. Christopher Pike
Karl Urban ... Dr. Leonard 'Bones' McCoy
Zoe Saldana ... Nyota Uhura
Simon Pegg ... Montgomery Scott (“Scotty”)
John Cho ... Hikaru Sulu
Anton Yelchin ... Pavel Chekov
Ben Cross ... Sarek
Winona Ryder ... Amanda Grayson
Chris Hemsworth ... George Kirk
Jennifer Morrison ... Winona Kirk
Rachel Nichols ... Gaila
Faran Tahir ... Captain Robau
Clifton Collins Jr. ... Ayel
Antonio Elias ... Officer Pitts
Tyler Perry ... Admiral Richard Barnett
Ben Binswagner ... Admiral James Komack
Jimmy Bennett ... Young James T. Kirk
Jacob Kogan ... Young Spock
Greg Grunberg … Stepdad (voice)
Tony Guma ... Lew the Bartender
Jeremy Fitzgerald ... Iowa Cop
Scottie Thompson ... Nero's Wife
Greg Ellis ... Chief Engineer Olson
Deep Roy ... Keenser
Amanda Foreman ... Hannity
Majel Barrett Roddenberry … Starfleet Computer (voice)​

A chronicle of the early days of James T. Kirk and his fellow USS Enterprise crew members as they confront a bloodthirsty Romulan hell-bent on the destruction of the Federation.

----------------------------------------------

Disclaimer 1: The following is Spoiler Heavy…read at your own discretion and, if you haven’t yet seen the film, I’d advice against reading.

Disclaimer 2: The following is long...perhaps the most in depth I could, and will, ever go in a film review. So as a result, the review has been split in two parts:

“Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its 5-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.”

These were the words that greeted audiences across the nation in 1966 with the premiere of Gene Roddenberry’s legendary “Star Trek.” Week after week, households tuned in to follow the exploits of Captain James T. Kirk (William Shatner) and the gallant crew of the U.S.S. Starship Enterprise; Mr. Spock (Leonard Nimoy), Dr. Leonard ‘Bones’ McCoy (DeForest Kelley), Uhura (Nichelle Nichols), Scotty (James Doohan), Sulu (George Takei) and Chekov (Walter Koenig). And after 3 illustrious seasons, encompassing 79 episodes, the world was hooked.

“Star Trek” permeated popular culture as a wondrous depiction of the future. It told a tale of discovery, with mankind embarking into the far reaches beyond our planet while taking topical highlights from the political climate of the 1960s with the Vietnam war and, more specifically, the Civil Rights movement. Themes of tolerance, social unity, gender neutrality and brotherhood weaved within the story…grounding the fantastic premise with a resonance anyone and everyone could identify with.

The show’s impact helped to spark a global sensation for the past four decades, including four subsequent television series, an animated series and ten theatrically released motion pictures. Roddenberry’s creation has spawned a continuously growing legion of fans, dubbed ‘Trekkies.’ And for the past 43 years the franchise has run the gamut of critique…from “relevant,” “action-packed” and “epic” to “laughable”…sometimes downright “terrible” (“Star Trek V” anyone?).

But I had never felt a need or desire to label anything bearing the “Star Trek” name as, simply…‘Bad Ass.’

Until now.

“Ah, Kirk, my old friend, do you know the Klingon proverb that tells us revenge is a dish that is best served cold?...It is very cold in space!”

While “Star Trek” may have come first, it nearly goes without saying that contemporary audiences have been more focused on another space tale; namely George Lucas’ galactic saga “Star Wars.” That’s not meant to take away from “Trek,” which did see the release of its tenth film, “Nemesis,” as recently as 2002 (But obviously, attention at the time was placed more on “Attack of the Clones”…easily). Personally I do prefer “Star Wars” if only for the fact that I was exposed to it first. Thankfully I was raised in a family that had grown up with “Star Trek” so I quickly learned the best of both worlds.

For easily foreseen reasons, fans have placed the two at perpetual odds, both of them taking place on numerous strange worlds with characters gallivanting around the cosmos. But in truth, “Star Trek” and “Star Wars” vary in many fundamental ways. Where one is science fiction, the other is science fantasy. While one is more cerebral the other is more mythical.

To be perfectly honest Lucas’ opus has become so saturated, what with 3 prequel films and a combination of animated and computer generated television series…and an apparent live action series set for release (not to mention the myriad of toys, books, video games, etc.)…that I find it incredibly refreshing that Roddenberry’s creation has finally been given its due attention.

But for a brand new endeavor, nothing could be compromised. In the duel of the space operas, “Star Trek” was posed to have a revenge of sorts…

All that was needed was the right eye…the right direction.

“A dream that became a reality and spread throughout the stars.”

I, like many a fan I’m sure, gushed two sighs of relief…firstly for the announcement of a brand new “Star Trek” film…and then for news of the involvement of director J.J. Abrams and his ‘Bad Robot’ Label.

With the creation of hit shows such as “Alias” and “Fringe,” the cult phenomenon “Lost,” the directed “Mission: Impossible III” and produced “Cloverfield,” Abrams has quickly established himself as the potential, even inevitable future of filmmaking and film storytelling.

His talent lies in the ability to take even the most extraordinary of stories and scenarios and rest them on a foundation of plausible characters and resonant emotion. Whether our breath is held in following the 48 ill-fated passengers of Oceanic Flight 815 or our heart is racing as we embark with Rob, Beth and Hud in a desperate escape as a horrific monstrosity from the depths of the ocean demolishes New York City, we’re able to connect with Abrams’ characters on a very tangible level, while simultaneously being left in awe by the spectacle that surrounds them. This approach reminds me very much of James Cameron or Terry Gilliam.

For his journey into the 23rd Century, Abrams assembled the writing duo of Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman…who would be bringing their bombastic flair for jaw dropping action to the project, not only having written “Mission: Impossible III” for J.J., but also the Michael Bay science fiction actioner “The Island” as well as both of Bay’s “Transformers” pictures.

Now, with all these elements in mind, lets finally take a look at the film itself…

J.J. Abrams “Star Trek.”

l_7a68735168146f34bfbb3b8cb9742f5c.jpg

“Bones?...Buckle up!”

Perhaps it was the current trend of re-imagining old favorites…a practice that has not only dominated Hollywood for the last decade, but has put all candidate properties under a new modern-day microscope.

Perhaps it was J.J. Abrams…a strong willed and determined visionary who, much like the fabled captain of the NCC-1701, refuses to believe in the ‘No Win’ scenario.

Perhaps it was the armada sized fanbase, with seven years of passionate speculation and pent up anticipation that placed an unprecedented amount of pressure. Pressure that had to be fully realized while attempting the unthinkable…and satisfy non-fans.

Any way you care to look at it, the stakes for a new “Star Trek” film were the highest the franchise had ever seen…maybe the highest they will ever see.

But through passionate storytellers, a sharply textured cast, an incredible visual landscape and an excellent sense of timing, J.J. Abrams’ “Star Trek” exceeded all expectation, pushing the boundaries of Gene Roddenberry’s creation in ways not yet taken in the story’s 43 year history…by forging an approach to the material that not only paid grateful and layered homage, but injected a slick sense of style, pathos and bare knuckle grit. This symbiotic nature works in spaces and satisfies both the true born fan and the new fan born.

While the film still retains the property’s undercurrent content of social tolerance and strokes of political influx, Abrams gives the Enterprise and her crew some much needed bite. It’s still thoughtful…but the film, on a dime, can kick your ass up and down the theater with gigantic space battles and emotionally driven characters.

The film explodes in the year 2233 with a fiery ‘to the death’ conflict between the U.S.S. Kelvin and a giant Romulan craft, the Narada, as it passes through a black hole under the cover of an electrical storm. It’s a kinetic opening that quickly changes the entire “Star Trek” paradigm with its visceral ness. We’re introduced to Nero (Eric Bana), a bloodthirsty Romulan who wishes damnation on the entire United Federation of Planets. His act of gutting the Kelvin’s Captain Robau (Faran Tahir, the terrorist baddie from “Iron Man”) lets us now he means hate-filled business in his search for an Ambassador…named Spock.

To answer the desperate pleas of the Kelvin’s passengers, young first officer George Kirk (Chris Hemsworth) begins to evacuate the downed ship while plotting the Kelvin on a collision course in a last-ditch gamble. But with the auto-pilot destroyed, Kirk makes the ultimate sacrifice and chooses to stay behind to pilot the ship manually, buying time for the escape of the passengers and crew…including his wife, Winona (Jennifer Morrison) who is going into labor.

In a beautiful moment over the comm-link, George hears the birth of his son…and as his final act, he and his wife Christian their son James.

Following the main title we hit the ground running (or rather driving) through the farmland of Iowa as young James Kirk goes for a joyride in his stepfather’s sports coupe. Pursued by a high-tech cop, Kirk predates his own renegade style in a feverish chase and high octane stunt, showing both his ferocious tenacity and penchant for the dramatic. Eventually, Kirk grows up into a womanizing bruiser (Chris Pine) with the instincts and making of an amazing starship captain.

Meanwhile school’s in session on the distant planet Vulcan (I loved the take on the schooling of Vulcan children in those computerized wombs) and we’re introduced to young Spock, the unique hybrid son of esteemed Vulcan ambassador Sarek (Ben Cross) and a human woman named Amanda (Winona Ryder). This makes Spock an easy target for full-bred Vulcans both in adolescence and early adulthood (Zachary Quinto), who deem his interlaced human nature and emotion to be a sign of weakness.

By detailing Kirk and Spock’s upbringings, the film establishes these legendary characters and their differing reasons for enlisting in Starfleet. While Kirk is shown a legacy to live up to by Captain Pike (Bruce Greenwood), Spock wishes to create his own path…much to the dismay of the Vulcan High-Council. But while these reasons, at first glance, seem to be entirely independent, they ultimately turn out to not be so different as both men work to prove themselves and their place in this universe.

Three years later, Kirk is enrolled in the famous Starfleet academy based in San Francisco. It’s a real college-atmosphere, even having Kirk hook up with a green-toned knockout Orion girl (great, GREAT throwback to Kirk’s notorious romantic conquests) as well as developing the relationships with his future comrades…the beautiful Nyota Uhura (Zoe Saldana) and the paranoid, slightly zany Dr. Leonard McCoy (Karl Urban).

It’s here that we’re treated to the infamous and legendary tale first told in “Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan;” Kirk’s taking (and overcoming) of the notorious Kobayashi Maru simulation. Such an awesome moment that, much in sync with Jim’s childhood exploits, displays how nonchalantly bad ass Kirk can be. How Pine plays the scene, yawning orders while eating an apple (!) makes it hilariously better.

The tampering with the program leads to an injunction against Kirk by Spock (creator of the simulation as it turns out) and their relationship is off to a rocky start to say the least. Having the two men butt heads makes for a fascinating dimension to both their characters and how they interact. However more pressing matters are at hand as Starfleet receives a distress signal from Vulcan of an attack by a Romulan vessel…the very craft that Jim’s father died fighting years earlier.

Despite being indefinitely grounded for his inquiry, Kirk manages to board the Federation’s newest flagship craft…the U.S.S. Enterprise…with a little help from a hilarious plan by McCoy. Here we meet the remainder of our loved crew; earnest pilot Sulu (John Cho) with a fierce reserve and a hand well trained in fencing…and Pavel Chekov (Anton Yelchin), a navigator with an accent courtesy of his mother Russia. As the story escalates, we’re eventually introduced to Engineering wizard Montgomery Scott (Simon Pegg), rounding out the main players.

Through circumstance, the rest of the film journeys into the nostalgic, the shocking…and ultimately the fulfilling as the trials and tribulations befalling the Enterprise bond and evolve her crew from a rag tag squad of eager kids into the team of heroic myth they were destined to become.

l_c04fba20d43089922422d5446e32d3ea.jpg

“The wait is over…”

“Star Trek” is a milestone for the property in quite a few ways. But the most prevalent is the fact that this is the very first time the original cast of characters has been portrayed by anyone other than Bill Shatner and company. But the cast, much like the film itself, does a wonderful job of establishing the characters we know while undeniably making them their own.

Chris Pine (“Smokin’ Aces,” “Bottle Shock”) cements himself as a star with the role of James Kirk. His looks could lead him to be mistaken for a younger Brad Pitt, and his undercover charisma could be linked to someone like James Dean. Pine delivers every line of dialogue with gusto, bravery, sleaze and bravura on his way to creating a captain who acts with his heart as opposed to his brain (which is fully capable of distributing useful knowledge). Kirk is an Iowa bar-dweller-fast-car-driver-motorcycle-riding-bad ass who is still capable of commanding a most advanced starship. Never once do we question his ability.

On the opposite side of the protagonist scale we have genre-favorite Zachary Quinto (TV’s “Heroes”) as Spock. Quinto more than just replicates the point ears and eyebrow arches made famous by Leonard Nimoy (even getting a ‘fascinating’ out!). Here we actually feel for Spock because he allows us to get into his mind, which is constantly at a struggle with his overwhelmingly dominant intuitive behavior that resists him feeling any emotional gratitude, conforming to logic. Thankfully, the story treads new ground by divulging into Spock’s humanity and to see him emote is a tremendous angle that Zachary takes (dishing body blows to Kirk was amazing!). There’s also the added dimension of a relationship between Spock and Uhura and it’s quite comforting that there’s more to this Spock that just pure logic, dry wit and the Vulcan grip (although Quinto delights in all of those aspects as well).

The remainder of the main crew shines primarily with Karl Urban, probably my favorite performance in the film aside from the two leads. His McCoy is as wily and grizzled. I didn’t think there was any way to tap into the unique character played by the late DeForest Kelley, but Urban brings the attitude and tired confidence of the doc to life adding another memorable face to the landscape. John Cho is also a nice surprise as Sulu, especially since I didn’t think he would break the ‘Harold’ mold I thought he was stuck in (sort of like seeing Kal Penn…essentially Kumar…in a “Superman” movie) but he does very well with the little he’s given. Same thing goes for Anton Yelchin and Simon Pegg as Chekov and Scott respectively. Yelchin is very endearing as Chekov and he’s a bit more earnest than Walter Koenig was in the role—but it works, because this is a younger Chekov. Simon Pegg’s Scotty is playful, manic, and mischievous than James Doohan’s. He’s played mostly for comic relief here. My one criticism with regard to Scotty is that he fits into his familiar surroundings too quickly and easily, given the specialized circumstances surrounding his arrival aboard the Enterprise. The establishment of his relationship with Kirk-right down to Kirk calling him “Scotty”-came off, at least to me, rushed. Out of all the main crew, Zoe Saldana’s Uhura makes the smallest (yet sexiest) impact, but she still manages.

Following a pattern of the previous theatrical films, “Star Trek” fills the supports around the crew with a collection of strong character actors and surprising celebrity cameos. Bruce Greenwood’s gruff yet fatherly Pike is a great foil for the exuberant Kirk while Ben Cross works through both stilted dialect and make up as Spock’s father Sarek (channeling Mark Lenard quite well actually). Winona Ryder is a surprise as Amanda, but she can pull off the weight of being a mother sufficiently enough (though her death doesn’t hold that much resonance). And Tyler Perry…wait, where’d YOU come from? Not given much to do, Tyler still carries some authoritative presence and it works fine.

The biggest player left is Eric Bana as Nero. Bana’s a fine actor (I just re-watched him in “Troy” and he was fantastic) so it’s not his fault that Nero’s a bit too one-dimensional. That aside, Bana brings a hard edge no-nonsense power to Nero, sort of as a lesser version of Ricardo Montalban as Khan.

But the biggest and most pleasant surprise is the return of the ever faithful and resilient Leonard Nimoy as Spock (or rather ‘Spock Prime’ here) in an extended cameo. What can I say? Just phenomenal…and in such a short amount of time to!

Last edited:
"Star Trek" Review -- Part II:

l_ed9db9fa6bb7eb2ed6750cb28f9e57df.jpg

"Fascinating" is a word I use for the unexpected. "Interesting" shall suffice here.”

Now the plot of the film, in a superficial sense, plays fairly straight forward in its chronicling of the Enterprise’s maiden voyage and first mission; an origin tale akin to “Casino Royale” and “Batman Begins.” The story pays its greatest homage to the original “Star Trek” in its utilization of time travel, a plot a point that has occurred quite frequently in both proceeding series and films.

The villainous Nero actually hales from an alternate timeline (the timeline of the original show as it so happens) and his search for a fleeing Spock (a welcome Leonard Nimoy) changes time itself, thus creating a paradox where this new angle Abrams is taking to the story is plausible. I know several fans were reserved about this…but it is called science ‘fiction’ for a reason.

Anyway, Nero blames the Vulcan for the destruction of his homeworld Romulus…obliterated unknowingly and un-intently as Spock moved to destroy a colossal Super Nova with ‘Red Matter’ (again science fiction…let it go, people) before it consumed the universe.

As a means of revenge, Nero does the unimaginable. Marooning Spock Prime on a desolate Ice Planet, he forces Spock to watch helplessly as he destroys the planet Vulcan of this timeline with the very same ‘Red Matter’ effect!

Personally I was shocked that Vulcan was destroyed, but in retrospect it was an unexpected tragedy that gave the film an added layer of depth. It’s so morbidly poetic that it works. Clearly, given the effect it had on me.

It’s a real highlight of the story for me that a number of elements operate on behalf of rounding out Spock as a character. While originally (and brilliantly) played in sync with the concept of pure logic, tapping into Spock’s human side is truly something.

“Star trek” is not perfect, of course, and the film’s biggest weakness has to be Eric Bana’s Nero. As with every Origins Story, the focus is on the hero and how he grew into his legend, so the villain comes and goes as the plot dictates. As such, Nero starts off the story with a bang, but literally recedes into the background of space until he’s needed again to advance the plot. There is pathos behind Nero’s actions, but they’re just not very well-reasoned. One day, Nero decides that Spock has to be punished for something he did in the future. Okay, great, revenge is always a good motivator for any story. Except as explained by Nero, I’m not entirely certain how what happened to Nero is Spock’s fault at all. His hatred is too broad…he wants to destroy everything basically? Hmm. So what are we left with? A pissed off Romulan with facial tattoos armed with a huge honking ship that looks like it could impale a planet. Which I suppose is good enough when all you really need is someone for the heroes to take down.

While Spock provides the backbone of the picture, the remainder of the cast do their part to take us both into exciting and sometimes downright hilarious territory.

Each member of the Enterprise crew is given a moment or two to shine and their relationships with one another are all given proper time to grow and develop.

The action is pulse pounding, with something that the original series never seemed to pull off with much finesse; genuine threat. Gone are the battles made up of laborious choreography and overdone karate chops as Kirk takes it to the Romulans (and even fellow Starfleet cadets) like a true scrapper, unafraid of getting dragged through the mud in the process.

One of my favorite action sequences is the atmosphere drop into Vulcan where Kirk, Pike and Sulu attempt to dismantle the enormous Romulan drill (notice the “Red Suit” that dies instantly upon arrival; an obvious nod to the very expendable and plentiful ‘Red Shirts’ of the television series). The drop itself is thrilling, but the fight on the drill is amazing in its scope and veracity. The body blows are real and they are there and it’s honest without being gratuitous. Not to mention the awesome sight of Sulu wielding a fold-out katana!

Another noteworthy set piece is perhaps the most character driven as Kirk and Spock infiltrate the Narada, phasers at the ready. After all the time they’ve spent being at odds, it’s great to see the two of them begin to trust one another.

Now of course the hallmark of “Star Trek” resides in the galactic battles between the starships. What always made “Trek” unique is that the space combat isn’t frantic. While “Star Wars” treats is craft like scruffy jets, resembling frenzied World War II dogfights, the handling of vessel interaction here, despite being played up for obvious reasons now) is more romantic…it has a power and a nobility. The Enterprise isn’t so much a spaceship as it is a futuristic Spanish Galleon, sailing across the sea of tranquility…where conflict is brutal but honorable. The scale that Abrams and his visual effects bring to the film helps push this concept even more, despite injecting just a dash of that “Star Wars” appeal.

Simultaneously, the interplay of comedy is at work…and the project’s sense of humor is fine tuned without being overtly stupid (much like the original show and, specifically, the ‘original crew’ films). Gags play for laughs, but we never laugh at the film’s expense. The comedy comes primarily from Kirk and the second-tier crew, but it’s a welcome relief that Spock’s dry wit gets a few good licks in. “Out of the chair.”

There’s the wonderfully absurd gag of Bones getting Kirk on board the Enterprise by repeatedly injecting him with small strain doses of various infections in order to board and treat him. It’s like an out of left shot of slapstick to see Pine sporting swollen hand appliances!

And poor Chekov, with his accent haha. Maybe Yelchin does play it up a tad too much, but it reminds me of fond memories of Walter Koenig in a funny but heartfelt way…who would always pronounce it ‘wessel’ (some 1960s jabs at the Soviets perhaps?) But it’s all in good taste.

But the funniest character has to be Simon Pegg’s Scotty. His romp about being stuck on the Ice Planet and the interaction with his little extra terrestrial buddy worked great. And as soon as he got on board the ship, I couldn’t help but wonder if Pegg would get the chance to utter his character’s famous line. But low and behold…”I’m given her all she’s got!” The audience just burst in laughter and applause.

Most of the film’s homages reside, I found, in “Wrath of Khan” (Although there’s the nod about Admiral Archer’s dog from the “Enterprise” series). We got to see the mind-altered alien insects, the Kobayashi Maru of course. I sort of missed Spock’s famous “The needs of the many…outweigh…the needs of the few” line, but that’s merely a minor thing. I do appreciate the script and back story that Orci, Kurtzman and Abrams strive to provide for us. The script has a great combination of wit and drama and it’s fused quite well. There’s that wonderful moment where McCoy makes a comment to Kirk about his ex-wife that gives Kirk the idea for the nickname ‘Bones.’ And bringing Captain Pike into the picture was great.

All in all the story and plot are a well developed mixture of character, poignancy, effective execution and scale that form together to give the picture a combination of modern relevance and retro-fitted design that appeals to all audiences.

l_534ad9338c1ba6e61ae161477a180acc.jpg

“I know this ship like the back of my hand.”

But if there’s anything that the 40 years between this film and the original series has told us, with all of the advances in visual and optical technology, it’s that a good story can only resonate and attract with its visuals. Through an army of artists, technicians, innovators and craftsman spread across a handful of companies ranging from Industrial Light and Magic to Lola Visual Effects, Abrams’ vision of the 23rd century certainly does not disappoint. “Star Trek” is a feast for the eye and mind; a tour de force of spectacle with its vibrant color, crisp aeronautical design and seamless practical and digital effects that broaden the scope…not only of how effects are conceived, but in how they can be utilized as a means of competent storytelling.

Where “Star Trek” truly shines is in its glossed production design, crafted by Scott Chambliss (“Mission: Impossible III” and the art direction for “Malcolm X”). A meticulously detailed portrait of a future that’s on the one side not that far off and on the other the makings of a vivid imagination, the production is personified by two varying and distinct aesthetics. There’s the design of the Narada, the Romulan drill and the planet Vulcan. Gorgeous angular set pieces, the concepts seem right out of “Heavy Metal” comics with their textures and grit, giant metal staunches and saturated vibrancy. The chambers of the Vulcan High-Council are standouts. While these depict a “Blade Runner” attainment of industrialization, the Federation and Starfleet take on the complete antithesis. Starfleet Academy and the vessels in her fleet are an art deco dream of sweeping romantic chrome and glass. The bridge of the Enterprise is a focal point and a personal favorite. The designs are more sterile with stark white finish and more organic with glossed over curves that are rich and beautiful. The bridge combines the geography that we’re familiar with from the original show with an almost utopist angle such as “Logan’s Run” or the headquarters from the “Men in Black” films.

The potential of the sets and their splendor is reached through the lush cinematography of Daniel Mindel, who works to have nearly every single object just pop off the frame. Having lit films such as “Enemy of the State” and “Shanghai Noon,” Mindel has a track record for theatrical lighting. “Trek,” much like last year’s “Iron Man” isn’t a dark film by any means; it has dark elements but ultimately the light of hope prevails. Dan takes this approach to his light and composition. While evil is represented in harsh angles, textured expressionist lighting and shades of dingy gunmetal and sickly greens, the optimism of our heroes shines on with bold, sweeping camera work, dynamic angles that paint iconic pictures and bright, luminous light. The Enterprise bridge looks, through lighting and staging, like a majestic automobile showroom and it’s an interpretation that fits into this sensibility of placing honor and regal attitudes into the piloting and operation of a Starfleet craft.

Of course the fundamental attribute of a science fiction film resides in its visual effects and “Star Trek” may very easily be the best this year (we’ll see about “Terminator: Salvation” though).

True the tangible quality of models and matte paintings is something I both admire and prefer but even I can’t deny how much further the bar has been raised by this picture. Where the sight of a model Enterprise whizzing across a painted background remains quaint and charming, Roddenberry’s operatic visions of traveling the stars and exploring the vast space that surrounds us is fully and deservedly realized here. Ships actually have the appearance of weight now…and the famous Warp Drive? It finally looks like going that speed is a visceral jolt to the system; a job only the most brave can truly undertake. Planets actually have planetary scale and weight and their size isn’t compromised because of any financial lack, particularly Vulcan.

Another tremendous, though smaller, element of the film’s design are the creatures created by Neville Page. A collaborator of Abrams (Neville also designed the “Cloverfield” beast) Page brings a sadistic and morbid beauty to his material, something I haven’t seen as much of since the brilliantly twisted mind of H.R. Giger (though perhaps Neville has quite reached THAT plateau). But these things are just men in rubber lizard suits, thank god.

Then there’s the costume design of “I Am Legend” and “Fight club” costumer Michael Kaplan. He incorporates the classic elements of the show, the red, blue and gold shirt uniforms of Starfleet crew with a polish that blends into the production design aesthetic quite fittingly. Other standouts include the gladiatorial wardrobe of the Romulans and the long, flowing robes of Vulcan. Oh and the abundance of lingerie-clad beauty was quite appreciated so…Kudos, Mike.

Finally there’s the astounding make up effects from Mindy Hall. From the detailed tattoo designs that adorn Nero and his men to having a fully green-skin Orion, Hall certainly has her work cut out for her. However the excellence can be found in the aging prosthetic and airbrush techniques used for Sarek, Spock Prime and especially Amanda. You’d never be able to tell that mother and son Ryder and Quinto are only 6 years apart in age!

Despite having all of these visual elements in place, what good are they without a voice to back them up? The ominous yet rewarding task of composing the film’s myth-laced and epic musical score fell before another trusted collaborator of J.J., Michael Giacchino. I first discovered Michael through his hip and elaborate scores for Disney/Pixar films “The Incredibles” and “Ratatouille.” But I fell in love with his genius following the “ROAR! Cloverfield Overture,” a trendy and haunting tribute to the Japanese Monster Cinema that film was inspired by. Much like Abrams, Giacchino has the unique distinction of combining emotional character driven music with the powerful exhilaration of dynamic and action based thematic material. It’s very much in league with the likes of Jerry Goldsmith, Marco Beltrami and, notably, John Williams (there’s a definite tinge of the Maestro in Michael’s “Trek” score).

The movie theme, with its undercurrent of profound homage and triumphant strings and brass sounds reminiscent of “Ilya’s Theme” from the original motion picture and it’s perfectly executed. I found it quite masterful that Giacchino creates this material to be the Enterprises’ theme for the majority of the movie…not utilizing the classic Alexander Courage composed television theme until the onset of the finale. It presents the novel and accurate notion that the music, like the crew, must endure and persevere before it can be allowed to graduate into the theme we all love (which, in turn, gets a beautifully operatic rendition by Michael). Giacchino’s action music is also well done, incorporating a technique perfected for me by Danny Elfman; catching visual cues as they jump off the screen. Every phaser pulse, every sharp bank and movement…the action is wonderfully portrayed musically and it’s a score that you only need to hear in order to see the film in your mind’s eye. It’s the sign of truly unique and memorable score.

l_70bda34f96640a55183c82e7e2eb6ca0.jpg

“I think we gave it the ability to create its own sense of purpose out of our own human weaknesses, and the drive that compels us to overcome them.”

With its captivating imagery, marvelous scale and engrossing story, J.J. Abrams’ “Star Trek” has not only reclaimed (for awhile at least) the throne of science fiction for the work of Gene Roddenberry’s opus…but it has continued the work pioneered by films such as “E.T. The Extra Terrestrial,” “Terminator 2: Judgment Day” and “The Dark Knight” as the thinking man’s blockbuster. By placing the themes of social unity and brotherly compassion into a blazing summer popcorn vernacular, we as an audience can be educated about the world and society around us as we’re entertained. It’s a true testament to the film that it has been embraced by the masses (myself included) as it represents a call for the cease of mindless Hollywood fodder. We expect and deserve more intelligent and developed material and I do feel that “Star Trek” has continued to push for that movement.

It might not be a classic right now; I’m not pretentious enough to assume such things.

But overall, “Star Trek” is FUN!

It’s a delightful romp through the galaxy that entices the senses, dazzles the mind and uplifts the heart. It not only sheds a contemporary light on the iconic characters and legacy of Gene Roddenberry, giving them a new lease on life…but it does so with such quality and panache that it makes for quite the first impression for potential new fans.

“Star Trek” shows us a hopeful future of exploration and idyllic optimism, where for all the evils in the universe…nobility and good will shall always succeed in pushing us toward a fully embraced community.

The story teaches us the importance of comradery and teamwork; of loyalty and trust. It teaches us about setting and living up to the standards of your life, never compromising in achieving your goals and how surrounding yourself with good company will strive to model your own self-confidence. But above all, “Star Trek” tells us of the significance of forming your own destiny and living in a way that works for you…mind, body and soul. It’s the classic struggles of establishing your individuality and morality. Through all our significant traits and characteristics, we must learn that they make us who we are…make us so special and so essential to our world; a world…and universe…united.

Until next time (“Terminator” to be exact) take care…and above all.

l_c75e14778e824ff35b740f8d54f026a8.jpg

“Live Long…and Prosper.”

9.5/10

Last edited:
Saw it for the third time today and you know what? It's still awesome! :D

Best review on here CFE.

I think we'll see "The needs of the many..." line in the sequel. I think Kirk needs to grow more as a character.

Damn, I NEED to still see this film. CFE, yout review reminded me how much I loved the film. Hell, it's the most enjoyable prequel I've ever seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"