Box Office Predictions: Star Trek XI

I thought Trek would go over the Opie show garbage. It didn't but, at least it had a dropoff of less than 45%.

Glad to see Trek held up well over the weekend. Should perform solidly next weekend too, even though T:S will undoubtedly be huge.

But all of these movies will be KILLED the following week, with the release of MEGA SHARK VS. GIANT OCTOPUS.

Star Trek is definitely doing great in its sophomore week. It only had a drop off of about 45%, which is certainly better than Wolverine did. As I predicted, Wolverine had a good opening, but as soon as better fare came along people tuned out. And the fact that ST made almost as much in its second week as Angels and Demons made in its first tells me that Star Trek is definitely going to be one of this summer's big winners. I don't know what Terminator Salvation will be in terms of quality, but if it's the film I'm predicting and hoping it is, I think it could be another big opener with decent legs.

The question is at this point, can Stark Trek come up with $300 million?

No, but I don't think anyone expected it to. Star Trek wasn't exactly the most lucrative franchise even when it was popular. This reboot is going to make more than any Star Trek film before ever hoped to. I'd consider that a success. And now that Star Trek has went more mainstream, I think the next film could gross more then 300 million

What are the international numbers for this movie so far?

BOM says $50 million overseas, but there aren't any updated numbers yet.

I am so glad this movie had a great second weekend, it deserves every bit of it :up:

"V"

Here are the international numbers. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118003845.html?categoryid=1278&cs=1

It's doing better than previous Trek's but we all knew that it wasn't going to outgross Angels and Demons, Wolverine and I'm 100% sure it won't outdo Terminator Salvation overseas either.

Still, it's doing well.

Congrats to JJ and crew for making one of the few big openers to drop less than 50% in it's second weekend. And the movie held well overseas against the juggernaunt that is Angels and Demons.

Too bad A&D had a suck opening weekend domestically. It was expected but it still sucked.

I'm not bashing the movie, hell I plain to see it but I think people are overpredicting Terminator Savlvation. I think that it will be big enough but I doubt it's going to puting up record M-Day numbers and I still wouldn't be surprised if Night at the Museum opens better.

Last edited:
Great numbers for "Trek" but to be honest i was surprised "A&D" out-did it this weekend...or perhaps not, but I figured it would've had legs for at least two weeks.

Here are the international numbers. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118003845.html?categoryid=1278&cs=1

It's doing better than previous Trek's but we all knew that it wasn't going to outgross Angels and Demons, Wolverine and I'm 100% sure it won't outdo Terminator Salvation overseas either.

Still, it's doing well.

Congrats to JJ and crew for making one of the few big openers to drop less than 50% in it's second weekend. And the movie held well overseas against the juggernaunt that is Angels and Demons.

Too bad A&D had a suck opening weekend domestically. It was expected but it still sucked.

I'm not bashing the movie, hell I plain to see it but I think people are overpredicting Terminator Savlvation. I think that it will be big enough but I doubt it's going to puting up record M-Day numbers and I still wouldn't be surprised if Night at the Museum opens better.

Yeah, I'm wondering this too. Night at the Museum 2 may be a bigger hit than people are estimating. The first one made a LOT of money, because a lot of people like mindless fun. I know that most people here will be seeing T:S but I'm not sure where mainstream audiences will fall in all of this.

Yeah, I'm wondering this too. Night at the Museum 2 may be a bigger hit than people are estimating. The first one made a LOT of money, because a lot of people like mindless fun. I know that most people here will be seeing T:S but I'm not sure where mainstream audiences will fall in all of this.

I think I'll be seeing both Salvation and Museum. I liked the first Museum because it was mindless fun. Mindless fun is fun to have occasionally.

It's not a forgone conclusion that TS will be number one over the weekend, it just isn't!

I hope that it is number one and I hope that Night at the Museum 2 fails to even get close to what the first one made because it's predecessor was a mediocre movie but I just can't agree that it is a lock for the number one slot.

Yeah, I want T:S to do well (if it's good of course, but I figure that it will be). As for Night at the Museum, I liked the first one well enough fro what it was, but I caught that on DVD, and if I do see the second one, I'll do the same. I wouldn't pay to see it in theaters, that's for sure.

Yeah, I want T:S to do well (if it's good of course, but I figure that it will be). As for Night at the Museum, I liked the first one well enough fro what it was, but I caught that on DVD, and if I do see the second one, I'll do the same. I wouldn't pay to see it in theaters, that's for sure.
Yeah it wasn't a terrible flick or anything but it's only a mild diversion of a franchise that I hope stops at number 2.

I'm still iffy on T4 but I'm hoping that I like it because a future war movie is a good idea thats better than the tired on the run from Terminator part of the story.

Yeah, there are really only two things that have me worried about T:S.

1. The rumor of a superimposed Arnold in the film. Even if it looks really good, to be honest, can't we EVER move on from him?

2. The rumored ending that was supposedly scrapped but, well, you never know. If you don't know what was supposedly going to happen, I won't ruin it for you, but let's just say it didn't sound like a good idea.

BTW, if any of you do have confirmation of either of these things, please don't spoil it for me... even if they are both in the movie, I still like to be surprised (even if it's not a good surprise).

The actuals are in. Angels & Demons still topped the weekend, but went down by $2 million to $46 million and Trek went up slightly by a few thousand bucks.

Last edited:
I just hope to God TS will crush NATM2 this weekend. Who knows? Kids might just want to see Bale opening a can of whoop as on some terminators.

Who in God's name DOESN'T want to see that?

I just hope to God TS will crush NATM2 this weekend. Who knows? Kids might just want to see Bale opening a can of whoop ass on some Terminators instead.

Who in God's name DOESN'T want to see that?

The actuals are in. Angels & Demons still topped the weekend, but went down by $2 million to $46 million and Trek went up slightly by a few thousand bucks.
I knew they studio was overestimating A&D.

Maybe the reviews will be better than the first flicks? Thats not saying much but...

Here's how I see the weekend playing out now.

1. A&D: 46.5mil
2. StarTrek: 42.1-44% Total:145.9mil
3.Wolverine: 11.9mil-55%

Still not my final numbers though.
My last prediction for A&D was pretty dead on. I've been doing pretty good predicting the opening weekend numbers this year.

I sucked last year so this is a surprise.

I'm glad that Trek did better than A&D on Saturday and Sunday. Sony should be thanking their lucky stars for the movie's huge international numbers.

Even the foreign box-office for A&D is down compared to Da Vinci Code though.

They should've quit while they were ahead instead of making it into a stupid franchise.

Star Trek is currently sitting on $152 million domestic and is inches away from passing up Wolverine's domestic take and will probably do so today. Just shows how well the movie is doing.

Meanwhile, Terminator Salvation is getting poor advanced reviews. The feeling I'm getting is that fans put too much faith in McG than he deserved.

At SDCC 08, I still believe McG came off as a totally insecure phony.

Sweet, Trek is about to pass Wolvie.

As for T:S... well... yeah, maybe we did put too much faith in McG. Though I hope not.

Ugh. I just read that Bale is hardly in T:S. Now I'm really worried.

I'm very disappointed with the international numbers for some reason. Im not being delusional... I just suspected more.

Oh well... come on Bale-driven Terminator!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"