• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Days of Future Past I wish Disney could get the rights from Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Marvel Studios did shy away to show Nazis in Captain America. FOX didnt shy away from it. They even had to balls to put a Hakenkreuz on the back of the X-Logo.

Nuff said. FOX has teh ballz.

That way it could share the same universe as Marvel's new movie universe.

I'm not sure that would work in practice though.

For a start, almost all of Marvel's heroes are based in New York - Spider-Man, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Avengers, X-Men. Seems rather implausible.

And there are very different attitudes to each of them. Spider-Man is depicted as a menace (by J Jonah Jameson's media campaign), the X-Men are feared and hated, and yet the Fantastic Four are publicly accepted, as are Avengers. And that's even though the Avengers roster has included Spider-Man, Beast, Wolverine, Storm and two other mutants in the form of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.

None of that meshes very well. The world hates mutants and yet loves the Avengers whose membership has included mutants.

Another issue is that cramming any of these scattered heroes into one film would result in a gigantic mess because it's impossible to handle so many characters successfully.

And of course Marvel Studios would never be able to undertake films for Spider-Man, Fantastic Four and X-Men in addition to what it already has on its plate (Avengers 2, Thor 2, Captain America 2, Ant-Man, Guardians).

So it works better to have them handled separately. What we need to hope for is that those films made by other studios are done well. It doesn't always work (as in the case of the disastrous Ghost Rider). Here's hoping Fox and Sony have learned a lesson.

Blade was first marvel propertry on Big screen that could be called a success but It hardly lead to stampede of production of comic book films like X-Men did.Hell Blade was
never even advertized as a Comic Book film.People today want to underestimate the impact of X-Men.At the time It was big deal It getting made.

X-Men First Class was best reviewed Comic Book film of 2011.It has 87 percent freshh rating at RT.From X-Men films only X2 has better.By the way of the marvel studio films
only Iron Man and The Avengers have better rating than the X-Men,X2,and first Class.
X-Men The Last Stand Is most sucessful film In series as far as Box office goes yet It Is least favored film In series.

Marvel's recent track record In films,TV,and Comics doesn't inspire me with confidence the present regime could handle X-Men.Droping wolverine and the X-Men after It gathers
fan support and the only X-Men show since Is X-Men Anime? Using X-men to bolster
the Avengers In Comics.It's obsession with ultimate line for films and TV.Not to mention not showing they could do a dark and serious tone X-men deserve on screen.

SMH @ you guys praising the presence of Nazi's as if that's the bread and butter of a Captain America story... I actually wanted to see more of Hydra or even AIM in the film but for the sake of argument they did show Cap punching a fake Hitler so it wasn't like they totally denied the existence of Nazi's. Plus regardless of all that, the Redskull is Cap arch enemy and that's who they focused on...

So if Fox was to make an Xmen film that focused around the Friends Of Humanity that wasn't the equivalent to a double shot of Nyquil. How about finally making some actual Sentinel's that aren't total crap???

...Or are you guys content with just Nazi's?

Well lets see....

Xmen First Class Domestic Total Gross: $146,408,305/ Production Budget: $160 million and Xmen Presents Wolverine, Domestic Total Gross: $179,883,157/ Production Budget: $150 million

So in the last 4 years Fox has made a total of $26,291,462 domestically off of the Xmen franchise.

The Amazing Spider-Man cost 230mill to make and right now they're at 229mill domestically. So in 3 and a half weeks they've barely made their money back for this film.

Foreign is pretty good but they'd be luck if they get half of those revenues. Then subtract about 40% of that for taxes. Then split the rest that remaining amount up due to other financial fee's (3rd party investors, etc) and what are they left with....?

I think you forget that First Class was one of the best reviewed movies of last summer...and the X-Men franchise has grossed nearly $2 Billion. Which I think is pretty damn good considering they started off when comic book movies were known for not being particularly good films.

Also, the budget for First Class after tax breaks was roughly $140 million.

I've loved all the X-Men movies and all of Marvel Studios films. And in my eyes, FOX is righting the ship with allowing their directors to make the films they want to make.

And it seems not a WHOLE lot of movies make 2x's their budget back domestically.

Hell, the producers of the new Dredd movie have said they need to make $50 million domestic in order for a sequel to be considered...it's budget is $45 million.

Blade grossed 70 million domesictly on a 45 million budget.X-Men grossed 157 Million on a 75 Million budget.Blade didn't jump start anything especilly since many didn't even now Blade was a comic Book character.X-Men revived the genre after Batman and Robin practicully killed It.Studios were eager to get back to comic book films and TV shows
after X-men.Using Blade to try to disminish the effoct X-Men had Is pathetic.

X-men is a franchise that should be doing Harry Potter numbers with each film released
It's not doing Harry Potter numbers because it had 2 films that made the audience disinterested, First Class has that young spirit again, they even said they were being influenced by harry potter for this new trilogy.

Right now Fox seems to have everything in place to make their next films very good, Marvel got the Punisher and Blade rights back and still didn't anounce anything new about what they were going to do with them

It's not doing Harry Potter numbers because it had 2 films that made the audience disinterested, First Class has that young spirit again, they even said they were being influenced by harry potter for this new trilogy.

Right now Fox seems to have everything in place to make their next films very good, Marvel got the Punisher and Blade rights back and still didn't anounce anything new about what they were going to do with them

And the other thing is Harry potter had a MASSIVE following. Until the first X-Men movie came out they were relatively unknown among the general audience.

I know they have a large following now, but I don't think it'll ever be as large as Harry potter.

Until Iron Man came around, it was still Spider-Man number 1, X-Men number 2

Not exactly, during the 90s the X-Men were one of the most popular comic books, the tv show made it even more popular and was one of the main reasons it got a movie, however i don't think anything can have the type of following that Harry Potter has, one thing is to be a big hit in the boxoffice like Avengers and Transformers 3, another is to become the type of hit in pop culture that Harry Potter and Star Wars are.

Not exactly, during the 90s the X-Men were one of the most popular comic books, the tv show made it even more popular and was one of the main reasons it got a movie, however i don't think anything can have the type of following that Harry Potter has, one thing is to be a big hit in the boxoffice like Avengers and Transformers 3, another is to become the type of hit in pop culture that Harry Potter and Star Wars are.

By number I and number 2 I meant film wise :)

By number I and number 2 I meant film wise :)
I was more answering the rest of your post than that last like where you said Spider-Man was number 1 and X-Men was number 2 in films, yeah i understood you were refering to their film franchises :woot:

I was more answering the rest of your post than that last like where you said Spider-Man was number 1 and X-Men was number 2 in films, yeah i understood you were refering to their film franchises :woot:

Lol. Hell yeah X-Men was awesome in 90s. I still love the 90s cartoon :)

Don't get me started on the Disney Marvel films. I wonder when people going to learn that Marvel Studios *****s all over their own material? All they are in for is to make the safest piece of light-hearted, cookie-cutter trite trash as possible. Why do you think all their directors are quitting?

What does everyone find so ****ing great about them?

In my opinion X-Men, X-2 and First Class were great. X-3 had problems but it was ok, however what makes me dislike this film so much and hope they retcon it is how they killed such characters like that, many weren't even developed enough.

And above all, why i wouldn't mind if Bryan Singer's X-Men 4 (which suposedly leads to x-men 5) rebooted X-3, is that X-3 was supposed to be something better and bigger, that would lead into X-Men 4, therefore instead of making it an usual trilogy it would be a set of four films. And instead of only using Magneto and the brotherhood as villains the film would be a tree way war between the X-Men, the Brotherhood and the Hellfire Club.

Cracked even has an article on this:
http://www.cracked.com/article_19350_6-famously-terrible-movies-that-were-almost-awesome.html

X-3 "had problems?"

The Juggernaut was terrible and pointless...this is a Hulk/Thor level character demoted to nothing...

Jean/Phoenix was pointless.....so you mean tell me that the only thing that could kill a cosmic entity that's on the same scale level as Galactus was Wolverines claws...?
And who were 90% of those other cheap disposable mutants that five X-men ran through like wet tissue paper?

What's crazy is that if any of the actually X-men books were this bad. We wouldn't even entertaining this discussion...

The problem is that most people love these characters enough to the point where they'll allow Fox to drop any type of Director, script and cast for it, just as long as they're getting an X-men film.

So fast forward to next year when Wolverine 2 fails to deliver yet again...and people will turn a blind eye to it just for the sake of denying me the right to say "I told ya so!" Thus making Fox the Ike Turner of comic book films...

You'll understand what that means when you're telling yourself "Fox isn't always bad though, it treats some Xmen films good some times..." SMH....
Black Widow and Hawkeye didn't have any point in being in Iron Man 2 and Thor besides promoting the Avengers, and what's up with all your hanguer? What? YOu want us to say i told you so? Before Avengers was released i said it was going to make big numbers and break records, that it would be almost as successful as Titanic and would beat The Dark Knight Rises in the box-office, most laughed and said that it would only make Iron Man numbers and that there wouldn't be a bigger audience number than the other Marvel films. While it's still early to talk about the dark knight rises argument it seems like i was completelly right about Avengers being a smash his, you don0t see me walking around the forums screaming "I TOLD YOU SO!"

I didn't do it when Avengers was the hit i was saying it would be, or when i believed X-Men: First Class was going to be great because of the director even with most fans everywhere on the net complaining it was going to be terrible. After seeing the trailer of Green Lantern i expected something terrible, IGN however convinced me that it may be a Star Wars epic, turns out i was right :cmad:

So, when i have to choose between a studio that replaced Nazis for Hydra agents or a franchise that is going to have its film being directed by Mathew Vaugh, Bryan Singer and the director of 3:10 to Yuma based on a script by Darren Aronofsky i guess i will choose the option that seems more promising.

X-Men: First Class, Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Prometheus are proof that Fox is now taking risks and trusting Directors with very good results.

And as i said before Marvel doesn't need the X-Men, they may need the Fantastic Four, but not the X-Men, it allways made more sence the X-Men universe being a different one from the Marvel Universe, a world where people that got powers from magic or genetic experiments are loved by the public but people that are the next step in evolution are hated doesn't make much sence.

And as was said by many they are looking forward to X-Men: First Class 2, not the Wolverine, so you aren't predicting very much, i'm probably one of the few that has hopes for that film, however even i am not that sure about it, in fact my expectations for The Wolverine are similar to my expectations for Captain America 2, i see both with big possibilities of failing, but still have hopes for both.

the big question is:

WHEN will this discussion end?

:D

and totally agree with your points, lord.

Last edited:
Thanks, and i agree, i think this discussion should have ended, but in least this is being discussed in it's proper thread instead of in the countdown thread.

yeah, and thanks for that, lol

but we need more people on the other topics! lol

not in this

The Wolverine has script by the oscar winning writer of the Usual Suspects.And despite a rewrite reports say 75 percent of that script remains.James Mongold directed Reese Weatherspoon's oscar winning performance In Walk The Line.Already directed Hugh jackman once befpre.Directed a well recieved western remake 3:10 to Yuma.He has directed action In that as well as Knight and Day.X-Men Days of future Past Is being directed by Matthew Vaughn and produced By Bryan Singer.Meanwhile Fox hired Chronicle Director Josh Tank to do FF remake and reportly are binging In thor and First Class writers to work on script.

Meanwhile marvel bought In a director of Game of thrones to do Thor sequel with first draft written by writer of Fantastic four:Rise of the Silver surfer(if you want to bash Simon Kinberg as a writer here It's fair to say Marvel has a FF film writer on Thor)
and hired community directors to do cap sequel.None of these are Joss Whedon.Meanwhile Whedon himself has said he Isn't sure he will do the Avengers sequel.
At least with Iron Man 3 Shane Black has directed a well regarded film that beguin
Robert Downey JR's comeback and was In late 80's early 90's one of top action film writers In Hollywood.

yeah, and thanks for that, lol

but we need more people on the other topics! lol

not in this

I probally shouldn't give the troll so much attention but someone has to
Stand up for X-men,X2,and first Class against the marvel studios Is great and everyone else Is terrable cwoad.

This is a topic of discussion that should generate attention TWO YEARS from now IF, and ONLY IF, The Wolverine and XMFC2 are both bombs. You can't have this debate now. Not after FOX put out a really good X-Men film last summer. First Class was the best comic book/super hero movie of 2011 for crying out loud. FOX has earned some trust here IMO.

I think you guys just said it all
icon14.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz