Dark Phoenix "I'd rather be in Guardians" The Jennifer Lawrence/Mystique Thread

It continues feeling strange that Mystique is focused on so much in these movies. I didn't care much for her in First Class.She juist felt like an impressionable kid who hated being sheltered by Charles all of the time and decided to run off with the rebel for some reason. She really didn't do anything to affect the main action. Then they boost her role for DOFP, and gave her a pretty cool story. She changed a lot over the 10 years since First Class and became more of the fighter from the original trilogy but we get to see her life go in a different direction as she chooses not to become a cold blooded killer. I would have been perfectly fine with her not being in Apocalypse, since her arc in DOFP felt so complete, but instead they force her into a main character role again.simply because of her celebrity status. Apocalypse was such a poor follow up to DOFP in so many ways.Dark Phoenix could have been the time to correct everything and make one more awesome movie but it feels like they're just doubling down and making the mistakies into tropes.

It sucks that Cyclops will never be done justice as the leader of the team and they'll be shown as just having been under Mystique's leadership for the past decade.

It sucks that Cyclops will never be done justice as the leader of the team and they'll be shown as just having been under Mystique's leadership for the past decade.

He'll get his due, in just a couple years
IFWT

What if Jennifer Lawrence had instead played Emma Frost back in 2010?

Could have been interesting if she’d given it everything. I’m not sure if she’d have been the best fit but she might have been able to do it well.

Seems like JLaw's acting prowess depends on the film's director. So I doubt her performance would've been any different.

I don't see it. Just more stale line deliveries to appear serious.

I can see her as like a Boom Boom or a Kitty Pryde. A fun character. But she doesn't do well as conniving temptress.

Unpopular opinion: Mystique has never looked as good as she did in the first film as portayed by Rebecca Alie Romijn. I know they say they hav been improving the make-up/bodysuit each movie but honestly I think it looks worse now than it did in the first film.

not that unpopular an opinion
There both beautiful women so its not that neither can pull it off but Lawrence in that latest trailer looks like she's literally wearing just a good latex mask. I can appreciate it must be a monumental pain in the butt to sit and get it all done but the difference you can see between the two is staggering.

Yeah I mean, JLaw is also supposedly "allergic" to the makeup too, so I don't blame them for trying to make the process as quick as possible
but she's always just looked too soft for Mystique, Romijn has more angular features which seem to work better for the character
Plus, I don't get why the blue keeps getting lighter and lighter... quit whitewashing Mystique!

Yeah I mean, JLaw is also supposedly "allergic" to the makeup too, so I don't blame them for trying to make the process as quick as possible
but she's always just looked too soft for Mystique, Romijn has more angular features which seem to work better for the character
Plus, I don't get why the blue keeps getting lighter and lighter... quit whitewashing Mystique!

If there's any truth to that I can sort of understand then but why the hell would you sign on for a role like this if she knew that was a possibility lol.

Yeah I think Romijn has the advantage that she got to be more of the bad guy but she just brought more life to the role don't know if it was her or they have changed stunt women but she had better acrobatics to.

Yeah as you can tell by my AV this a issue that's important to me, Blue Lives Matter :funny:.

Unpopular opinion: Mystique has never looked as good as she did in the first film as portayed by Rebecca Alie Romijn. I know they say they hav been improving the make-up/bodysuit each movie but honestly I think it looks worse now than it did in the first film.

I think even those who worked on the films say they can't beat the original makeup process and how innovative it was. I think X2 is the best due to the more fluid face and head prosthetics though.

The painting of Mystique in the new trailer looks bad especiallythe daylight scene. I knew it wouldn't be as close to the Ew production still. Also her cheeks lack scales, it looks like they put it all on her forehead.

Wait is that Trump's comb over in that bottom Mystique gif?

Classic.

Wait is that Trump's comb over in that bottom Mystique gif?

Classic.
Senator Kelly has blonde hair in the movies but it doesn't exactly look like that in the scene.

Its probably because someone adjusted the colors/brightness of the clip when it was turned into a gif. So now Sen. Kelly's hair became yellowish.

J-Law's Mystique is just too soft and unthreatening and the actress just isn't invested in the role. Her acting when she pleads with Jean is poor, and who would get that close to Jean at that point, it's entirely unconvincing. Good riddance.

Interesting to see Kinberg confirming Mystique's demise in the interview on SHH front page, never mind spoilers lol.

JLaw needs to go back to small indie films with a director who really challenges her and a script/character she really likes. Maybe do some acting workshops along the way.

J-Law's Mystique is just too soft and unthreatening and the actress just isn't invested in the role. Her acting when she pleads with Jean is poor, and who would get that close to Jean at that point, it's entirely unconvincing. Good riddance.
That was cringey to watch.

UGTIsd0.jpg

At least the forehead has been somewhat consistent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"