Dark Phoenix "I'd rather be in Guardians" The Jennifer Lawrence/Mystique Thread

I agree she was miscast, but I can't help but feel like the ******** is way worse for people because they don't like Jennifer Lawrence, period. What they did with Mystique's character for the prequel films was fine, as that character has always had a bit of humanity in her and Days of Future Past needed to critically change things, not just for the future cast we weren't going to see anymore. Also, she has occasionally teamed up with the X-Men in the comics. Fact is, Lawrence plays a much better heroine than she does a heel. I hope she actually gets a kick ass action scene this time around (before she probably dies) as the last 3 films didn't live up to anything she did in the original trilogy.

I had no awareness of Jennifer Lawrence before I saw her in X-Men: First Class. So I didn't have any bias against the actress at all.

I thought the portrayal in First Class was okay but it got worse and worse in subsequent movies. Singer tried to make her too much like the Romijn version in DoFP, her appearance and everything else changed suddenly. And then in X:A, it felt just like watching Jennifer Lawrence and she seemed so bored.

Mystique has on occasion teamed with the X-Men but what has been done in the films feels wrong, a mischaracterisation. It's been made worse by the fact Jennifer Lawrence is unable to carry off the role with any conviction.

Also, she has occasionally teamed up with the X-Men in the comics.
And she still remained a self serving snake. That is the comic book character. The movie version is very removed from that.

Look at it this way. There have been three X-Men cartoons (not counting the anime). They were all different versions of X-Men. And yet in all of them Mystique was a villain.

And she still remained a self serving snake. That is the comic book character. The movie version is very removed from that.

Look at it this way. There have been three X-Men cartoons (not counting the anime). They were all different versions of X-Men. And yet in all of them Mystique was a villain.

Lol she was nicest in Wolverine and the X-Men

They made Mystique good in new timeline because of JLaw. In comics shes sometimes vilain sometimes ally, she acts as her own interest

They made Mystique good in new timeline because of JLaw. In comics shes sometimes vilain sometimes ally, she acts as her own interest

I find that really odd logic since making someone good doesn't make them shine anymore than making them a reappearing villain or even an anti-hero.

Infact the anti-hero approach seems to be the stronger of the lot since the actors and audiences seem to like anti-heroes the most because they are unpredictable.

producers have their own issues and insecurities, and they are different than us, just simple fans. So yeah, they decided to keep her good once she become huge after Hunger games and her Oscar nomination. Lets not be naive.

Bryan and Vaughn probably had in mind to give her a great arc of becoming dark after that First Class end, but..... she became a star, and plans changed. Because plans always change depending of a lot of factors.

And Im pretty sure Kinberg was one of the people at Fox that agreed with this approach instead of turning her into the cold assassin of original trilogy, which they could have done after 2 sequels. So again, lets not be naive.

Thats not naivety or insecurity, thats just playing it safe... which is kinda silly since playing it safe won't make mystique shine anymore so.

If anything they ended up down playing the character could have been probably because they wanted to evolve the characters based on the relationship she had with Xavier that started in FC.

Last edited:

Even in today's comics, some of the X-Men can't still stand her. Same thing with Magneto.

Not really a surprise since pretty much her defining character trait in the comics is that she always ends up betraying everyone. The only person she has ever had any true loyalty to is Irene.

I had no awareness of Jennifer Lawrence before I saw her in X-Men: First Class. So I didn't have any bias against the actress at all.

I thought the portrayal in First Class was okay but it got worse and worse in subsequent movies. Singer tried to make her too much like the Romijn version in DoFP, her appearance and everything else changed suddenly. And then in X:A, it felt just like watching Jennifer Lawrence and she seemed so bored.

Mystique has on occasion teamed with the X-Men but what has been done in the films feels wrong, a mischaracterisation. It's been made worse by the fact Jennifer Lawrence is unable to carry off the role with any conviction.

My exact thoughts on the character. Cyclops should have been a much bigger part of the Retro Trilogy, but after Lawrence blew up as an actress the studio was never going to let her go.

Fox is blinded by her stardom. Apocalypse couldn't even outgross X1 in North America.

Mystique dies in this scene

tumblr_pfp9lrN6Zm1sjpbxoo7_r1_540.gif

tumblr_pfp9lrN6Zm1sjpbxoo1_r1_540.gif

Actually most of her action scenes are going to be in blue form.

Great and yet she's still in human form for other scenes because why Xactly?

Mystique dies in this scene

tumblr_pfp9lrN6Zm1sjpbxoo7_r1_540.gif

tumblr_pfp9lrN6Zm1sjpbxoo1_r1_540.gif

So that's who the funeral is for? I mean, they already ruined the character and it doesn't seem like JLaw likes playing Mystique, so this may be her way of going out.

Great and yet she's still in human form for other scenes because why Xactly?

Human expression shows up better without the blue. Blue is good for the action scenes IMO. Plus, my bold prediction is this will be Jen's best performance when all is said and done.

I think they'll kill her off early in the movie to spare the world from watching her "acting."

I don't get it. In other movies, she's fine. But these ones...blah.

Fox is blinded by her stardom. Apocalypse couldn't even outgross X1 in North America.

Fox probably thinks that without Lawrence, Apocalypse would have only made $50m in USA.
She brings the money, man!

same with Fassbender. both Lawrence and Fass made XMA to reach $150m. We should be thankful.

Mystique looks good in this movie. Seeing her hair in this movie makes me wish she looked like this since First Class. I liked the J-Law scenes in the trailer, even if it doesn't make sense to look like that anymore. Xavier is on the defensive, but Mystique seems more genuinely concerned for Jean.

Though her hair looked good in that one EW still, I think her hair still looks hella fake in motion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"