IGN has Punisher 2 plot details

You can't please anyone with a comic-book film. Especially after the previous installment was so true to the original character. (Though I will say, Jonathan Hesleigh and his Punisher sucked brassly). This story does certainly sound interesting, but it's a lot to handle in one film that's probably about two-hours in length.

Um... Yeah. AHX, Fight Club, The Italian Job, The Illusionist. You didn't hear about him starring in and writting the next Hulk movie? Its been all over SHH for quite a while now.

I really don't follow the Hulk news.:o :csad:

Well.I hope this Ray Stevenson does a good job playing as Frank.

Sure everything sounds great so far, but I think we should wait on saying it's going to be fantastic.

I know the last movie wasn'T great but they could have turned Travolta's character into Jigsaw. They both have already multiple revenges situation hovering over each other. Castle had his son killed in a sting. Saint kills his family. Frank kills Saint' family. It could go on and on until it becomes insane. Anyway at least you have a genuine reason for Punisher and Jigsaw to hate each other.

Anyway the story they've come up with isn't that terribly exciting. They should have gone with these two storyline options:

-Punisher War Zone from the same title. It's story about Frank infiltrating the Maffia.

or

-Punisher in prison. Possibly the best Punisher story ever. The character is like a kid in a candy store, killing criminals left and right. But that doesn't make it easy.

So...no Micro on that list? To tell you the truth I'd rather have Micro as the weapons dealer than some ex-gangbanger named Dante. Replace Dante with Micro, but have him in the movie for like 2 scenes when Castle needs more guns.

I think it'd be awesome if Castle killed the Dante guy though. Doesn't make sense that he would be friends with someone like that.

The plot seems overly complicated to me. I really hope the "biological" shipment is women like someone else suggested, that would be really awesome. I loved the "Slavers" arc, and to see elements from that would be wicked.

With some minor tweaks this movie could shape up. I shed a tear for Jane though. Just had to throw that in there.

Hahahaha, I am really tired of hearing "biological shipment." I don't know if that came from whoever the source on the story was or a creation of IGN, but it just sounds so completely dirty.

I know the last movie wasn'T great but they could have turned Travolta's character into Jigsaw. They both have already multiple revenges situation hovering over each other. Castle had his son killed in a sting. Saint kills his family. Frank kills Saint' family. It could go on and on until it becomes insane. Anyway at least you have a genuine reason for Punisher and Jigsaw to hate each other.

the punisher hates criminals. jigsaw hates the punisher for taking away his beautiful face. that's certainly enough motivation.

Damn I leave the Punisher boards for a month and I come back and the film has a title now and people have an idea of the story. Also I have some questions-

1-Is Barracuda in this?

2- Since the director is a woman does anyone else feel this may provide a problem in explicitly depicting violence on screen, in the same way the director of American Psycho decided to omit all of the novels graphic violence?

..Gotta say I'm worried. :csad: I want to see carnage and death on screen in all it's gruesome glory.
Blood and brains flying everywhere in the wake of Frank's M60 just like in Punisher MAX. Nothing else will do. What is the point of going in with low/ Hollywood expectations for this? I want to see the comic action scenes on screen.

Damn I leave the Punisher boards for a month and I come back and the film has a title now and people have an idea of the story. Also I have some questions-

1-Is Barracuda in this?

2- Since the director is a woman does anyone else feel this may provide a problem in explicitly depicting violence on screen, in the same way the director of American Psycho decided to omit all of the novels graphic violence?

..Gotta say I'm worried. :csad: I want to see carnage and death on screen in all it's gruesome glory.
Blood and brains flying everywhere in the wake of Frank's M60 just like in Punisher MAX. Nothing else will do. What is the point of going in with low/ Hollywood expectations for this? I want to see the comic action scenes on screen.

I have no issues with Lexi as a director and her gender won't have anything to do with the violence though it's not a typical film directed by a woman. Katherine Bigelow did great with Point Break and Steel Blue though she was married to the great James Cameron. Just look at Hooligans.

1-Is Barracuda in this?

F U C K no.

That was because American Psycho was written by Ellis as an 80's black comedy/satire. Mary Harron was one of the few who realized this while everyone else wanted to make it a through and through horror film. Harron wisely chose not to let the horror elements overshadow the inherent comdey in the Patrick Batman character.

Completely different situation.

That was because American Psycho was written by Ellis as an 80's black comedy/satire. Mary Harron was one of the few who realized this while everyone else wanted to make it a through and through horror film. Harron wisely chose not to let the horror elements overshadow the inherent comdey in the Patrick Batman character.

Completely different situation.

I reckon anyone who has read AP understands it is a satire, unless you are a ******.
Furthermore everyone else did not want to make the film adaptation into a one dimensional horror.

Speaking as a fan of the novel- I would have much preferred if the director had left most of the murders intact, because the graphic brutality of these acts is precisely what helps drive the satiric nature of the book when juxtaposed against the shallowness of Patrick Bateman.

As it stands we only got half the novel on screen.
Just like Bateman- although in a totally different way, the carnage is a big part of what defines Frank's world. I can only hope the new Punisher film does not go the same way.

I reckon anyone who has read AP understands it is a satire, unless you are a ******.

Then there are are a lot of ******s out there.

Furthermore everyone else did not want to make the film adaptation into a one dimensional horror.

Oliver Stone wanted to make Bateman a more 3 dimensional character with deeply rooted psychological reasons for his actions. I can easily imagine many directors opting to go this route or that of the traditional horror film. Have you seen the straight to DVD sequel? Sheesh.

Speaking as a fan of the novel- I would have much preferred if the director had left most of the murders intact, because the graphic brutality of these acts is precisely what helps drive the satiric nature of the book when juxtaposed against the shallowness of Patrick Bateman.

Perfectly understandable. I think Harron's concerns were that watching these actions on film could possibly make Bateman appear more threatening than intended and the perspective of Bateman as an inherently comical character would have been lost on the audience. Many people still think of American Psycho as a bloody horror film.

There is no artistic reasoning as to why the "less is more" approach should be applied to the Punisher. I certainly don't think it will happen simply because the director is female as you implied that it might.

Are you s h i t t i n g me? The most violent people I know are women.

Oliver Stone wanted to make Bateman a more 3 dimensional character with deeply rooted psychological reasons for his actions. I can easily imagine many directors opting to go this route or that of the traditional horror film. Have you seen the straight to DVD sequel? Sheesh.

I was not ware of Stone’s vision, but Il take your word for it. As for the possibility that the film may have turned into standard horror fare,- sure that COULD have happened, but I imagine the reason anyone would want to turn the book into a movie would be due to humorous aspect of Bateman’s personality and exploits, and the pointlessness of the world in which he exists.

Perfectly understandable. I think Harron's concerns were that watching these actions on film could possibly make Bateman appear more threatening than intended and the perspective of Bateman as an inherently comical character would have been lost on the audience. Many people still think of American Psycho as a bloody horror film.

That is why it is called a satire, or BLACK comedy.
Not everyone will get it.

The script writers and director lacked the balls to create a faithful adaptation, instead concentrating solely on Batman’s personality and relationships. As a result we only get half the picture.
I fail to see how anyone how who has seen the film could consider it ‘bloody’.

There is no artistic reasoning as to why the "less is more" approach should be applied to the Punisher. I certainly don't think it will happen simply because the director is female as you implied that it might.

I’m concerned that as well as the director being female, this is after all a Marvel movie and they are all designed w/ making money in mind. Punisher/2004 flopped by their own expectations, so the producers will be looking at this and asking what can we do to give this a better reception? Will more graphic violence as depicted in the MAX comic be what springs to their minds? I’m not so sure.

Of course the violence depicted in Punisher MAX is nowhere near as graphic or drawn out as some of the passages in American Psycho, so I reckon it’s pretty reasonable to expect to see a few head blasting scenes (a la Maniac/1986) and blood soaked floors.

As do I, but I've conversed with many who apparently do.

I’m concerned that as well as the director being female, this is after all a Marvel movie and they are all designed w/ making money in mind. Punisher/2004 flopped by their own expectations, so the producers will be looking at this and asking what can we do to give this a better reception? Will more graphic violence as depicted in the MAX comic be what springs to their minds? I’m not so sure.

In this respect, you and I share the same concerns.

I may have grown up watching films like Tenebrae, Suspiria, Cannibal Holocaust, and may still be obsessed with them till this day. Along with lots of other exploitation, splatter films, etc. but I certainly can still see how a "general" audience would find it 'bloody'... I mean when I watch mainstream films, up until the MPAA ironically switched to republican control, it censored EVERYTHING. I don't really want to get into the political aspect of it, but you must admit it is kind of funny that Democrats believe so heavily in the rating board and Republicans tend to believe people should decide what they see and the economy. Regardless, up until that change, films like the TCM remake and others would not have been acceptable and would have lost even more for their R ratings. I've lived and experienced all of this, and I know how my personal preference of films vary from the general publics. Since the MPAA would admit American Psycho with an R rating the first 7 times, I mean obviously they saw something there, and I can understand it, and it wasn't all nudity like some have claimed.

I hope the violence is on par with Max level.

Of course the violence depicted in Punisher MAX is nowhere near as graphic or drawn out as some of the passages in American Psycho, so I reckon it’s pretty reasonable to expect to see a few head blasting scenes (a la Maniac/1986) and blood soaked floors.

I've read the books as well and I love Maniac-- back on topic though-- in my opinion there really are some things that stick in my mind from Max, that I envision as being as graphic and dark as the passages in American Psycho... the problem with the statement is that, when you read a book or you look at a page in a comic, it's really how much you focus and think about the reality of that situation that determines how the violence is depicted. MAX has a dark edge to it, and a lot is probably what happens in my imagination, or maybe I am a more visual person than you, but it's still clear that both medias are overtly violent and dark.

I hope the film comes across this way, but it may come across as more superhero fair... time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"