I'm gonna start jogging in the mornings

That's very Brokeback Mountain of you... :confused:

E. Bison said:
T040612A.jpg

LMAO!:D

Now it's gonna be all ove the Hype..all will glory at the sight of your man boobs.

I wish I had enough will power to exercise...but oh well. Sleep is more important.

kainedamo said:
Any joggers here? I'm gonna start jogging in the morning and would appreciate advice and tips.

Like, I'm gonna bring alone a bottle of water, but wouldn't it fall out of my pocket all the time? Where do joggers usually put their water??

If you're trying to build up your endurance, especially if it's because you're trying to run away from people,... like girls, the best way to do that is to run at a fast pace for as long as you can, at least half-an-hour.

If you can find a route that's basically straight up hill the whole way, the better.

If you're willing to work towards carrying 25 lbs in a knapsack, better yet.

That's the way I trained and I got good enough to run a mid marathon in about an hour and ten minutes. No girl could catch me, not that they tried or anything.

I would advise the walk/run method. This way your indurance is built up without having to sacrifice so much of your body's comfort. What you do is for the first week, you run for 2 minutes, then you walk for two minutes. You do this for one week, then you bump up running to three minutes, but keep you walking to 2 minutes. This is especially helpful if you are overweight (like I was) when you start your program. Just remeber to increase your running time by atleast one minute every week, but keep your walking to two minutes every week. Run every day for 30 minutes like this until you can easily run for 11 minutes at a fast pace. After this you should be able to run comfortably for one mile.

Do everything you can to avoid injury. I found that I do best to start jogging for about 4 minutes and then stretching.

Buy a good pair of running shoes, I prefer Saucony's, but just go to a good atheletic store and get some that fit your length, width and arch.

If you get shin splints or any other injurys, take a day off and just stretch those days. The object is to get into shape, and this is hindered by people overdoing it by running injured.

Keep track of your heart rate. This is a great motivator, after the first month of running you should be able to see a decline in it when you get in your 'zone'.

If at all possible, don't run on asphalt. Try running on softer surfaces like grass, especially when you first start out.

And lastly, keep your toenails trimmed properly. I got an ingrown from going too deep with my trimming. The impact of your foot to the ground add's more pressure on the edges of your toes, so even if you aren't inclined to getting ingrown's you will be if you run.

Man-Thing said:
I would advise the walk/run method. This way your indurance is built up without having to sacrifice so much of your body's comfort. What you do is for the first week, you run for 2 minutes, then you walk for two minutes. You do this for one week, then you bump up running to three minutes, but keep you walking to 2 minutes. This is especially helpful if you are overweight (like I was) when you start your program. Just remeber to increase your running time by atleast one minute every week, but keep your walking to two minutes every week. Run every day for 30 minutes like this until you can easily run for 11 minutes at a fast pace. After this you should be able to run comfortably for one mile.

Do everything you can to avoid injury. I found that I do best to start jogging for about 4 minutes and then stretching.

Buy a good pair of running shoes, I prefer Saucony's, but just go to a good atheletic store and get some that fit your length, width and arch.

If you get shin splints or any other injurys, take a day off and just stretch those days. The object is to get into shape, and this is hindered by people overdoing it by running injured.

Keep track of your heart rate. This is a great motivator, after the first month of running you should be able to see a decline in it when you get in your 'zone'.

If at all possible, don't run on asphalt. Try running on softer surfaces like grass, especially when you first start out.

And lastly, keep your toenails trimmed properly. I got an ingrown from going too deep with my trimming. The impact of your foot to the ground add's more pressure on the edges of your toes, so even if you aren't inclined to getting ingrown's you will be if you run.

Here's better advice for shoes.

Wear high heels so that you really learn how to run.

camel pack for the water problem. 25$ any sporting goods store. Dont run hard keep it steady, aim for 30 minutes.

I just started running in the mornings again after god knows how long, and after smoking like a horse for a couple years, at least a pack a day, sometimes two. God it hurt.

i got what they call a 'camel-pack' it's like a back pack with a bladder inside that holds about 3 liters of whatever, and a hose/straw that comes up over your shoulder... it's very handy, and even adds a bit of weight for a beter workout.

i've been riding my bike instead of jogging, though (bad knees) i ride between 20 and 40 miles a night, and i've been dropping body fat like you wouldn't believe.

That sounds ridiculous.

Did you ever figure out what to do with the water bottle? :rolleyes: :p :D

Your mother figured out what to do with the water bottle.

I work out on a regular basis but have stepped it up since I'll be going to Marine Infantry School in January. I run three hours in the morning and three hours in the afternoon. I usually wear a backpack that I weight down. The water thing is simple. I find that if I am drinking water constantly I dont need to have it with me when I run. Keep drinking so that your pee is clear and you'll be alright....however if you still need some water then as was mentioned a camel back will work wonders

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"