I'm probably buying a ps3 tomorrow

Discussion in 'Sony' started by GFreeman, Jan 20, 2008.

1. GFreeman Registered

It still seems awfully stupid :csad:

2. Electro UK Can't all be for nothing

It was pretty subtle until Xtro made it stick out.

3. XtromaniaK Registered

Yeah, for an Englishman you sure have a lax command of English.

4. WhatsHisFace Registered

Half-Life 2 is a racing game with a few on-foot shooting elements.

The shooting elements are broken up into:
    • Parts where you shoot.
    • Parts where you wait for a guy to stop talking so he can open a door.
    • Parts where you wait for an elevator.
    • Parts where you have to solve a physics puzzle where getting the game to do what you want is harder than actually figuring out what you need to do.

I also feel the need to mention that every male in the game has the same voice. Every single one. And the same goes for the women too. It's always the same, stupid voice.

Gears of War is enjoyable because unlike Halo, you don't end up running around each other in circle-strafes (no one really fights like that) and jumping while lobbing grenades. The pacing of the game is much faster and the "Let's rock" attitude of the characters is a good comic relief/throwback.

5. Purple Prancer Registered

Daaaaaaaaaaaamn!

6. XtromaniaK Registered

U got served!11!

7. Electro UK Can't all be for nothing

This reminds me of my hate for God of War.

8. GFreeman Registered

Half Life 2 is a story driven shooting game with two racing elements that total less than 20% of the game, and the males do NOT all have the same voice, thats insane. The nameless grunts are at least split into "white dude" and "black dude" voices, and the actual characters that you see much more often are all uniquely voiced.

And being more realistic in it's portrayal of combat (and I use the word realistic loosely, since we're talking about a game where you can revive each other with a touch and chain saw people while getting shot) doesn't make it fun. The game is just a 4 hour turret mini-game with some slow ass walking while you're forced to listen to the god-awful story in-between turret sessions. Oh look, a hole in the ground, lets press a and slowly but surely eliminate everything on screen from this one position before finally advancing to the next round of the same damn thing. Woo! The game was crappy and got it's reviews paid for by Microsoft. It's awful. The only thing it ever had going for it was graphics, and those weren't even that great in the actual game, the textures were blurry and the game was monochromatic for a whole hour, which normally wouldn't be that bad if it weren't for the fact that that hour constitutes 1/4th of the game.

9. Electro UK Can't all be for nothing

Did anyone ever see that guy complete Half Life in 30 minutes? Wow.

10. WhatsHisFace Registered

There's no way you can stay in one spot in a Gears of War shootout and remain safe the entire time. Enemies flank, overwhelm and grenade your area. And yes, the game in truth is on the short side. However, I'm sure it contains more active gameplay than Half-Life 2. As long as you take out the five hours of driving down roads.

I searched YouTube looking for a video where there's a squad talking, because I know it would all be the same voice, but I could find none. Just a bunch of Gary's Mod videos.

11. GFreeman Registered

There's no way you can play the game and not realize that you can stay in the same spot the whole time and be totally safe. I beat the game by hitting a and slowly taking everyone out. Thats the whole game. A 4 hour turret tech demo of UE3 thats briefly interrupted by a few moments of frustrating stupidity on the part of Dom, and a few moments where you have to walk super slow and listen to the god awful story being told to you by some nameless chick you met once. It's a terrible game.

12. Electro UK Can't all be for nothing

You have to move in Uncharted alot. (In hard).

13. WhatsHisFace Registered

The only quantitative things Half-Life 2 has going for it is the Bridge and Citadel sequences. Gears had the Beserker fights, the entirety of Act 3 and an interesting sunset sequence.

14. WhatsHisFace Registered

It's hard to rip-off Prince of Persia otherwise. :o

15. GFreeman Registered

The berserker fights would have been cool had Dom not been a pain in the ass. Resurrecting a dude every few seconds because he's too stupid to know that he shouldn't attempt to punch the Berserker is not fun. Act 3 was the same old ****, and the sunset sequence, I'm guessing you mean the end, on that train? That was also the same old ****, you just took cover behind that one wall thing and shot raam a lot, that was the whole fight.

16. Electro UK Can't all be for nothing

You're the first person to ever claim Uncharted is a rip-off of the crappy Prince of Persia. :huh:

17. WhatsHisFace Registered

I mean the sunset sequence where the town goes dark, you need to find propane tanks or cars to ignite/shine the spotlight on your friend so he can get to the fuse-box... that sort of thing.

Dom was indeed a little... "passionate" about killing bosses... but only the Berserker ones actually halt progress for him dying. The much harder General Raam just lets you go it alone.

The General Raam fight, to me, was good. It's not for everyone, but it was a very old-school fight in that the boss has every single advantage and there is no Zelda-style pattern to guarantee success. That would be the Corpser fight, which was very lame. Especially given it's prominence in the commercial.

18. WhatsHisFace Registered

You're the first person to call Prince of Persia crappy! :cmad:

19. Electro UK Can't all be for nothing

Block, slash, block, slash, block, slash, block, slash.

20. WhatsHisFace Registered

Don't bother doing any of the wall-moves or enemy-specific combos like you're SUPPOSED to!

21. Electro UK Can't all be for nothing

No, I won't!

22. 블라스 Registered

"Crappy Prince of Persia"?
    Go shove a banana up your fanny, Elektro :cmad:

23. Zenien Guest

Prince of Persia has been massively over rated.

24. GFreeman Registered

WHF told me he refused to play Prince of Persia because it starred an arab.

25. Zenien Guest

I believe you.