Inferno

I don't recall that, but I don't really care either. It's the same franchise that had an antimatter bomb blow up over the Vatican and had Audrey Tautou as the direct descendant of Jesus Christ.
Just curious what actress or actor would you accept as a descendant of Jesus Christ?

Maybe it's less to do with the actress so much as the subplot.

Inferno gets 20 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.

Even less than Angels and Demons.

The only hits Sony is going to have this year are basically going to be Angry Birds, Sausage Party and The Shallows. I know Dan Brown books are popular, and Angels and Demons still made $485 million worldwide, but it didn't do well domestically. They should've just stopped right there. The Da Vinci Code was fairly successful and was enough to justify a sequel. Angels & Demons was not.

I just finished watching Angel & Demons on Syfy.
For those who are interested, TNT has The Da Vinci Code on Wednesday November 9 at 8pm.

Last edited:
this went from a projected 25 mill opening weekend to a 14 mill opening weekend wow!i guess this franchise is dead

They really should've just quit while they were ahead after the last movie came out and did disappointing business. Moving forward with this one seems insane.

agreed 14 mill openning weekend is a joke for this kind of event movie

Ticket sold!

this went from a projected 25 mill opening weekend to a 14 mill opening weekend wow!i guess this franchise is dead

The film franchise might be dead,but the books are continuing
The next Langdon novel comes out September 26 2017.
It is called Origin.
Apparently, Brown is tackling the origins of the universe next.

I'd think it's best if they just stayed as books.

And while I sorta enjoy them (A&D being the best), they're more like a time killer. Something to do when your'e doing your homework, or watching with your parents on a Sunday afternoon.

When Madea in Week 2 clearly beats you, you need to hang 'em up.

I don't even remember the book to this one. :huh:

Fourth flop for Ron Howard.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/31/m...or-ron-howards-fourth-domestic-flop.html?_r=0

One of Hollywood’s most established directors, Ron Howard, an Oscar winner in 2002 for “A Beautiful Mind,” came up dreadfully short — again — at movie theaters in the United States and Canada over the weekend. Meanwhile, a director at the start of his career, Barry Jenkins, blew off the art-house doors with his “Moonlight.”

Mr. Howard’s “Inferno,” which cost Sony Pictures and LStar Capital roughly $75 million to make, not counting tens of millions in marketing costs, managed to sell only about $15 million in tickets during its first three days in theaters, according to comScore, which compiles box office data. Even more humiliating: “Inferno,” which stars Tom Hanks and Felicity Jones, was beaten by the second weekend of Tyler Perry’s low-cost “Boo! A Madea Halloween,” which repeated as the No. 1 multiplex draw.

This book series is for the ultimate 'airport reading', which is the equailvant to CBS to older people. Something entertaining for dads, but has a basic formula with each book with a dash of little schlock.

The series reached it's peak with 'DVC'. While, he first book was popular, but in like how Jack Reacher (the book series) was popular. Or a Tom Clancy novel.

DVC made it more mainstream but ultimately was just a fad, and then with The Lost Symbol and Inferno, it kinda fell back to its intense status quo.

They skipped The Lost Symbol because it was too much like National Treasure.

I'm mostly talking about the book series itself, and it's relationship with the general public.

A&D was enjoyable enough (I, my sister, and my brother-in-law all saw it in theatres and none of us regretted doing so) as a fast-pace dumb fun kind of thriller. And the pacing is so fast that it kinds of hides the plot-holes in the story well enough, and there were some genuinely disturbing moments/sequences. Da Vinci Code doesn't cover itself nearly as well.

With this, it also sounds like they made some pretty significant changes to the story and not for the better it would seem.

Inferno gets 20 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.

Even less than Angels and Demons.

The only hits Sony is going to have this year are basically going to be Angry Birds, Sausage Party and The Shallows. I know Dan Brown books are popular, and Angels and Demons still made $485 million worldwide, but it didn't do well domestically. They should've just stopped right there. The Da Vinci Code was fairly successful and was enough to justify a sequel. Angels & Demons was not.

Exactly, it made money worldwide. Some franchises simply aren't meant to be popular in the USA, doesn't mean they can't make money or be popular elsewhere. Seems like this isn't doing that badly overseas. These films also cost much less than most other major film series. A third film in this franchise was a no-brainer IMAO. What doesn't help is them making it some 7 years after the previous one.

Studios don't get as much money from overseas box office though.

Warcraft didn't do well domestically at all, but it made a huge amount overseas. Legendary still lost money on it though.

That is true, but Warcraft also cost more money than this did.

According to BOM, Warcraft cost 160 and Inferno cost 75. Naturally, both those figures are likely lower than the real budgets, but Warcraft still cost like twice as much, so its threshold needed to make a profit was higher

I just saw this today. I never read the books, so I don't have a horse in the race on the changes. I liked both Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons, though both certainly have flaws. That said, Inferno was ok. Had flaws and I did notice a decline in the overall look of the film. Like others said, it looked TVish with the cinematography. They kind of made it work in spots with the way it was put together, but still was noticeable. The movie is ridiculous, but entertaining. Also, I feel there was less history in this than the other 2 films. If there is a 4th movie, I would watch it. I read about the alteration to the ending, and I can see why they changed it, though I do think the new ending fails to challenge the audience like the ideas in the book seem to. But like I said, it was dumb but fun. I would rank them:

Angels & Demons
The DaVinci Code
Inferno

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"