Infinity

According to Bleeding Cool, the set-up could begin in tomorrow's New Avengers issue. Also, I'm glad to see Ex Nihilo is up there. I thought he might have been a throw away character after the first three issue of Avengers. How little faith I have in Hickman.

Yeah, I'm pleasantly surprised to see Ex Nihilo in the mix as well. But mostly Gladiator though :o:up:

All right, an event by Hickman is something I could definitely get into. Pretty good bunch of characters involved, too. It hasn't even started yet, but I already can't wait for Age of Ultron to be over.

How will the gems fit in considering what happened in the last issue of New Avengers?

The time gem wasn't destroyed like the rest so that's most likely the out that's used.

Details revealed on Infinity:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2013/03/31/marvel-comics-infinity-comic-book-event/2021287/

-Debuts in August
-Will run 6 issues
-Hickman's been planting seeds in Avengers/New Avengers (duh)
-Avengers/New Avengers will serve as tie-ins (duh)
-Avengers have left the Earth to "rally the universe", and while they're gone Thanos takes advantage of the unprotected Earth
-Avengers will focus on The Avengers, Nova, and Guardians teaming up to unite the Kree, Skrulls, Badoon, etc against the Builders
-New Avengers and Infinity itself will focus on Thanos' agenda and the heroes left behind on Earth to deal with him
-The Inhumans will play a major role in the story, which will set them up for having a more important role in the Marvel U than they have had recently (lol Inhumans movie incoming)

Story set up actually sounds a lot more original and interesting than I was expecting...as expected of Hickman I guess. Also seems like Wells is taking over the Nova book specifically to steer it through this event.

Yeah, I just read that on Newsarama. I'll admit, it sounds pretty good. I honestly don't know if I'll get all of it or just some of it yet.

I particularly like the Earth portion of the story detailed in Infinity and New Avengers. The space portion sounds interesting but I don't buy Avengers so I'm not too terribly interested in it. I'm hoping the Infinity/New Avengers story is its own story and doesn't intersect with the Avengers plot and that, like with Avengers and New Avengers, they're just connected on loose principals.

Last edited:
I like what I'm hearing. A 6 issue event that only ties into 2 titles instead of 30 of them. :up:

I'm sure the time gem that disappeared in NA #3 is the first "seed".

More like 4 titles with Nova and Guardians. I also imagine Uncanny Avengers may tie-in as well since I see them on the promo art for Infinity and they'll likely be one of the main teams fighting against Thanos.

Huh, I just read the CBR article on this (FOUND HERE) and they're saying that the mini is focusing on the Avengers in space and that Avengers and New Avengers focuses on Thanos on Earth.

Confusion.

I'm guessing Newsarama is right since the whole idea is that the Avengers are off planet, drawing Thanos in. It would make more sense for the Avengers to be in space dealing with their threat while the Infinity mini and New Avengers are dealing with Thanos specifically.

I think they mean the specific focus of the books. Thanos is basically starring in New Avengers - that's the way I read it.

Huh, I just read the CBR article on this (FOUND HERE) and they're saying that the mini is focusing on the Avengers in space and that Avengers and New Avengers focuses on Thanos on Earth.

Confusion.

I'm guessing Newsarama is right since the whole idea is that the Avengers are off planet, drawing Thanos in. It would make more sense for the Avengers to be in space dealing with their threat while the Infinity mini and New Avengers are dealing with Thanos specifically.
I read CBR's article on it too. They misunderstood the info from USA Today. The original article came form USA Today, and they specifically state that Avengers will be from the perspective of the Avengers in space, and New Avengers and Infinity itself will focus on Thanos' attack and the other heroes left on Earth to deal with it/the Inhumans.

Also, reading the official announcement on Marvel's site makes it very clear just how big a role the Inhumans and Black Bolt will play in the event. Hard to imagine a movie announcement not coming some time in the near future...possibly at San Diego Comic Con along with Doctor Strange. Which would conveniently be a month before the event btw.

I will say that this event has me more interested than Age of Ultron ever did.

The set up is connecting a lot better than anything Bendis did..sorry I just never bought Bendis set up such as the SKrulls being part of the Raft breakout etc..

And....Nova, either version, gets shafted. Way to go Marvel...

I thought the build up to Secret Invasion was fine, it was when the mini series came around it fell totally flat. Bendis pretty much ruined Spider-Woman after putting so much work into trying to make her interesting again.

I wasn't even thinking about the build-up, but the concept of the mini itself sounds good. However, I have not been reason either Hickman Avengers book, so who knows. I read the first issue of each and wasn't really feeling it, so maybe the mini won't really be for me either if it is relying too much on what is going on in those books.

The set up is connecting a lot better than anything Bendis did..sorry I just never bought Bendis set up such as the SKrulls being part of the Raft breakout etc..
Yeah, I like how this singular, overarching plot is actually being set up and worked towards in all the books involved and isn't just these books suddenly tieing into the event like what we got in the Bendis era. I think Marvel has learned. Either designate specific issues the event ties into that are separate from their books (like with AU) or have all the books involved actually work toward the event.

So...anyone want to bet Smasher gets killed in this one?

What makes you think that? Seems like kind of a random name to throw out there....

Because a Smasher died in an X-Men event before? Also, the character doesn't really have much purpose besides being canon fodder right now, unlike Hyperion and Captain Universe.

It's a running Joke that the Smasher always bites it..I think however, that is not going to happen with this smasher...she's pretty interesting ..and there seems to be a whole back story to her relationship with Cap and her grandfather that needs to be expanded.

Might be explained during her dying moments. :oldrazz:

Yeah, I like how this singular, overarching plot is actually being set up and worked towards in all the books involved and isn't just these books suddenly tieing into the event like what we got in the Bendis era. I think Marvel has learned. Either designate specific issues the event ties into that are separate from their books (like with AU) or have all the books involved actually work toward the event.

That only really happened in Secret Invastion didn't it?

Civil War and Fear Itself had no lead-in.

AvX had very minimal lead-in (a scene in the Point One one-shot and the X-Sanction mini, which wasn't really a lead-in)

Siege as an event had no lead-in, but the titles that tied-in had already been dealing with Norman Osborn, so none of them were shocking (and it was limited to the Avengers section of the Marvel Universe).

House of M was mostly a stand alone story with minor lead-ins (Disassembled and the last couple issues of Excalibur)

But yeah, I get what you're saying. I hated when the X-Men were suddenly a part of Maximum Security without having any idea of what it realy was. It intrupted all of the X-titles for a month, and being that I wasn't reading Avengers, had no internet, and no comic shop... I honestly had no clue what the heck was going on until a couple years later. I didn't know about the event mini or other tie-ins because I didn't buy them and the store where I got my comics mostly just had X-Men and Spider-Man.

That only really happened in Secret Invastion didn't it?

Civil War and Fear Itself had no lead-in.

AvX had very minimal lead-in (a scene in the Point One one-shot and the X-Sanction mini, which wasn't really a lead-in)

Siege as an event had no lead-in, but the titles that tied-in had already been dealing with Norman Osborn, so none of them were shocking (and it was limited to the Avengers section of the Marvel Universe).

House of M was mostly a stand alone story with minor lead-ins (Disassembled and the last couple issues of Excalibur)

But yeah, I get what you're saying. I hated when the X-Men were suddenly a part of Maximum Security without having any idea of what it realy was. It intrupted all of the X-titles for a month, and being that I wasn't reading Avengers, had no internet, and no comic shop... I honestly had no clue what the heck was going on until a couple years later. I didn't know about the event mini or other tie-ins because I didn't buy them and the store where I got my comics mostly just had X-Men and Spider-Man.

To this day I cannot for the life of me figure out what Fear Itself was actually about. Which is sad because Matt Fraction came down to Singapore years back and hinted of some huge game-changing event that was coming. Heck I even asked him who he was going to kill and he just replied "Everyone". Nice guy though.

So I was reading a live interview with various Marvel people on Newsarama yesterday (FOUND HERE) and it's got me cautious on this event. It sounds amazing for people who are into Avengers, but if you're not then it's sorta out there maybe.

The first thing I noticed is that Hickman calls it an 18-part story in 4 months, including the core story in Infinity, Avengers, and New Avengers. That's HUGE for someone who is only buying New Avengers. That's an extra 14 $4 comics in 4 months. Yikes! And judging by the story I'm guessing it won't be one of those sorts where you can just get the mini and get the full story.

Then they went on to mention that there WILL be other tie-ins in various other titles, and not like the Ultron tie-ins where it's basically a one-shot, but real tie-ins. They could not confirm exactly how many tie-ins there would be, or what titles they'd interupt, but I think it was Broovart who compared the event to Fear Itself in size.

Then Hickman made a mention that he considers Infinity the closing part of the first part of his story and that it's just a stepping stone to all that he has planned over the following 2 years. And that makes me feel like if you just buy Infinity you're only going to get a small fraction of a bigger story, which kinda annoys me (as a non-Avengers reader).

So yeah, it's just really starting to sound like this is going to be another one of those events where it's just a HUGE money grab, and worse than Fear Itself or the rest, you will likely HAVE to buy both Avenger books alongside the mini to get a full understanding of what's going on. They're "essential" to the story, I believe is what Hickman or someone said. The others won't be so much, but the two Avenger books are very important sounding to the event. And they HEAVILY suggest getting the new Thanos mini that starts today as well.

Man, for someone who is only mediocrely involved in the Avengers these days and just barely involved in the Cosmic books... this just sounds like a lot to take on. Is it even worth starting? I love Thanos, but that's the only real draw for me here. I suppose it will all depend upon how many of my ongoing buys are affected by the event, but still.

I gotta think this through. If I have to drop a good number of books just to afford it, it won't be worth it. Especially immediately following the conclusion of another event, Age of Ultron, which is sapping my wallet pretty hard with its triple shipping.

ARRRRGGGHHH!!! Events. I swear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"