Iron Fist Iron Fist General Discussion Thread - Part 4

I'm about to start watching episode four.

My understanding is that all the hate and negative reviews I saw quoted, and headlined, were about the first 6 episodes. Unless the next three take a huge dip in quality...then I have no idea why there was so much hate for them. I guess I'll know once I make it to the 6th episode. But, so far...it feels like I've been watching a different show than what the critics saw.

The fight scenes haven't been bad at all. The MMA cage fight I watched in Episode 3 was awesome.

I was reading through the reviews, and I think the RT percentage is somewhat misleading on this one. None of the reviewers really trashed what was there, at most it was, they were disappointed that it didn't seem to break any new ground but was acceptable.

I do plan on doing a full series review, but certainly seems to me like it's not any kind of disaster.

Nah...they were trashing it. Maybe not all of them, but there were some brutal quotes. Calling it a flaccid hand, saying it was dead on arrival...it was pretty badly trashed. That's why the negative reviews got so much play.

I am three episodes deep and... I so far don't get the intense criticism the show got. I like all the actors, they all are doing fine, the plot and it's mysteries are unfolding and the fight coordination is tops to my eyes. Good mix of over the top moves and gritty stuff in the fighting, again, at least so far.

I like it at as much as I liked and enjoyed JJ and DD at this American point in their shows and so far I don't feel it being a slog the way Cage was. It took me forever to get through Cage's first three episodes despite Colter being good in the part and the action there being great. I will say there is something less flamboyant all around than the previous episodes. If one wants to call that "dull", we'll okay I could see that with expectations with the Netflix shows so far. But so far I am very engaged and think everything is being handled very well.

I've GOT to see Iron Fist & Power Man riding around in that Aston Martin

3 episodes in, and it's definitely not as bad as the reviews led me to believe. In fact, I'm enjoying it at least as much as Luke Cage, though I do feel Finn Jones is the weakest link (much like Colter, imo) and it's lacking an engaging Cottonmouth-esque character.

Just started ep 8. The fact that I'm watching this instead of the NCAA tourney right now says enough. Second to the Daredevil(s), it's better than Luke Cage or Jessica Jones. I don't understand the hatred hype. I'm digging it.

Although, I do think Finn Jones was a bad choice. (side note: doubly so with his political excuses). Iron Fist has to be a white guy btw, just not this one, he's kind of weak.

But I'm still watching.

I think with a new fight choreography + Jones having time to get in actual shape it'll be 10/10

I'm on episode 7 now and I'm really enjoying the series so far. Its not perfect, but its nowhere near being the disaster some are saying it is.

2 episodes in until I get home from work. But god, this thing is excruciatingly slow. I was 30 minutes into the second episode when I realized, jack squat happened still. Literally not much happens in the first hour and a half. I don't understand all the praise it's getting from some of you guys, even saying it's better than JJ? This thing better pick up soon though. As a big fan of Marvel Netflix, I'm obligated to finish this, but I don't want this to be a chore.

Well I just finished episode 7 and yeah, I'm joining the brigade of folks who don't know what show the critics were watching because this show is very good. Definitely gets better with each episode.

Finn Jones may not be as good as Charlie Cox (who's the strongest actor on the Marvel/Netflix shows IMO) but he plays Danny's boyish charm very well and has chemistry with nearly everyone else on the show.

But Tom Pelphrey is probably the standout so far for me. He's making Ward quite a compelling character to watch.

Well I just finished episode 7 and yeah, I'm joining the brigade of folks who don't know what show the critics were watching because this show is very good. Definitely gets better with each episode.

Finn Jones may not be as good as Charlie Cox (who's the strongest actor on the Marvel/Netflix shows IMO) but he plays Danny's boyish charm very well and has chemistry with nearly everyone else on the show.

But Tom Pelphrey is probably the standout so far for me. He's making Ward quite a compelling character to watch.

Yes! Completely agree. It's weird, in the first episode or two I thought Ward was a bad actor/caricature. Couldn't have been more wrong.

Just started episode 3. Add me to the list of people who don't get the criticism. Well, at least, not the strong criticism. I mean, I get the pace of these episodes is quite slow, but all the Marvel Netflix series have been somewhat like that. I'm honestly a bit confused by the landslide of negative reviews. And I'm usually someone that seems to agree with the majority of critics.

On episode 1. The show is definitely wobbly but it shows promise. It really could go either way at this point. There's a lot of things I've bumped into thus far, but some things I like as well.

I think episode 4 hit the perfect spot for me. I've liked what I've seen, but episode 4 felt like THE episode for me, so far. There's alot of great moments in episode 4. Four episodes in, and I'm really enjoying the series. I think I could probably gush over that episode all day.

I think Jones is great, too. But, I would absolutely agree that in should be in better shape. He doesn't need to be, but it'd be better if he was. Not bulky, though. It would have been better if he was cut, and looked closer to say...Bruce Lee's body.

Jones could be in better shape, and as someone that has competed a lot in martial arts it's always noticeable when someone isn't a lifelong martial artist (one thing where I just have to suspend my disbelief), but I don't really have that much of a problem with the shape he's in. You'll actually see plenty of Shaolin monks that are pretty far from Bruce Lee ripped, and as Danny says, it's more about the inner force than outer force. Of course it's also a TV show where visual aesthetics are important, but still.

Edit: For example
3676195-2736948116-54833.jpg

Last edited:
That guy has a spear stabbing his throat. What the heck?

I wish Danny would lose the beard. Doesn't fit him at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"