Iron Man IRONMAN Casting Thread [merged-15]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jayo said:
What about Jaoquin Phoenix for Tony Stark/Iron Man?

Personally, I don't think that's a bad suggestion....yeah, I could see it. He could always use a realistic-looking fake mustache if need be, and he's definatly got the acting ability + clout as far as name-wise. He's going to be an "A-lister" if his new movie "Ring Of Fire"(as Johnny Cash) is a hit like they say it will be...who knows?

What i'm saying vile one is that it would be a good multi-faceted character driven comic role which let's face it people there aint to many of and cruise would like that.

BT18 what other "reasons" do you object to cruise?

RAMORE said:
What i'm saying vile one is that it would be a good multi-faceted character driven comic role which let's face it people there aint to many of and cruise would like that.

BT18 what other "reasons" do you object to cruise?

Well, despite some, so far unsubstantiated denials, that he's less of a diva than you would expect your average 30 plus million $ a movie scientologist dummy to be, I really doubt he'd leave really any of the flexibility in an actor that you would need in a comic-based potential franchise such as this one. It's opening in an ultra-challenging summer and if it isn't a runaway hit I don't really want to be left with a dead franchise after one movie because of his possibly damaged rep.

I don't think he's a jerk. I just honestly think he's fragile, eccentric, and as I said, dumb. An idiot savant for sure, good actor, master at making box office money, but I don't think sattling yourself the pressure of the NUMBER 1 A++ lister and really taking a wayy bigger gamble than you have to, when he's already 8 inches too short, 10 years too old, and more overpriced than you need. The kind of movie that needs a Tom Cruise to be successful is not Iron Man. It's formula roles. It's sheeple movies. Iron Man needs a different famous name actor that's best at exciting a different demographic entirely in my opinion.

BT18 said:
Well, despite some, so far unsubstantiated denials, that he's less of a diva than you would expect your average 30 plus million $ a movie scientologist dummy to be, I really doubt he'd leave really any of the flexibility in an actor that you would need in a comic-based potential franchise such as this one. It's opening in an ultra-challenging summer and if it isn't a runaway hit I don't really want to be left with a dead franchise after one movie because of his possibly damaged rep.

I don't think he's a jerk. I just honestly think he's fragile, eccentric, and as I said, dumb. An idiot savant for sure, good actor, master at making box office money, but I don't think sattling yourself the pressure of the NUMBER 1 A++ lister and really taking a wayy bigger gamble than you have to, when he's already 8 inches too short, 10 years too old, and more overpriced than you need. The kind of movie that needs a Tom Cruise to be successful is not Iron Man. It's formula roles. It's sheeple movies. Iron Man needs a different famous name actor that's best at exciting a different demographic entirely in my opinion.
WOW you are so wrong and biased against cruise it's scary,personaly if he's not Iron man it's cool but your ludicrous attacks of dumb,idiotic and all the other things you say about him are childish and rude,He has time and again proved himself genuine and cynical ppl like you make me sick.He has easily the versatility to pull Iron man off and is one of the few mentioned that can save it from getting lost in supermans cape.

BT18 said:

Wow. Somebody's bitter they didn't get the part in "Top Gun."

But you're right. We need someone that's famous in a different way, that's young, charismatic.....like Leonardo DiCaprio. He'll sink this movie like he did the Titanic. Damn artists and their icebergs!

Well, I'm pretty sure Marvel would take the box office returns Titanic had for Iron Man. Just saw Aviator and if Dicaprio did Iron Man I'm sure the extra box office off his name alone would pay his salary.

That said, I voted for Depp. He can play any substance abuse character (drunk or high). He's perfect for the action/drama blend too....Donnie Brasco, Nick of Time....and he can do a moustache.

If not Depp, maybe Jim Rome could do it...with some voice over help.

hunter rider said:
WOW you are so wrong and biased against cruise it's scary,personaly if he's not Iron man it's cool but your ludicrous attacks of dumb,idiotic and all the other things you say about him are childish and rude,He has time and again proved himself genuine and cynical ppl like you make me sick.He has easily the versatility to pull Iron man off and is one of the few mentioned that can save it from getting lost in supermans cape.

Sorry my opinion/feeling offends you so personally. I don't tend to hold these rich powerful up with as much glory as most people. Sorry if you've got a soft spot for Cruise. I'm a cynical guy and I don't want to piss you off. I don't think my attacks are childish at all. I don't really have time to try and go through all the factors that lead to all my opinions but I assure you I don't pull stuff out of my ass. Also I may be more blunt and less diplomatic than many would like but I figure we aren't discussing things of earth shattering importance.

"Cynical people" like me make you sick? Come on man. I'm not accusing him of being a psychopathic scumbag. I'm just responding to a request for some of the reasons I'm not enammered with this sacred cow by maybe poking some holes in some overblown arguments for his greatness. And cynicism is not a vice. People are too sheepish, particularly when it comes to conflating success with virtue.

BT18 said:
Sorry my opinion/feeling offends you so personally. I don't tend to hold these rich powerful up with as much glory as most people. Sorry if you've got a soft spot for Cruise. I'm a cynical guy and I don't want to piss you off. I don't think my attacks are childish at all. I don't really have time to try and go through all the factors that lead to all my opinions but I assure you I don't pull stuff out of my ass. Also I may be more blunt and less diplomatic than many would like but I figure we aren't discussing things of earth shattering importance.

"Cynical people" like me make you sick? Come on man. I'm not accusing him of being a psychopathic scumbag. I'm just responding to a request for some of the reasons I'm not enammered with this sacred cow by maybe poking some holes in some overblown arguments for his greatness. And cynicism is not a vice. People are too sheepish, particularly when it comes to conflating success with virtue.
My point simply is trhat Cruise has proven himself time and again through his actions,and all the stuff your leveling at him could just as easily be debunked,truth is your opinion of his personal ofscreen personality is irrelevant to him being right for Iron man.Bottom line is judge him by how his peers feel about him,you have guys like val kilmer and russel crowe that most feel are ass-holes and these are ppl who have worked with them unlike you or me the complete reverse can be said of the feeling cruises peers have for him Quote Jaimie Foxx"the worlds best adusted millionaire" now i'm sure your cynical mind can shoot holes in this but hey he's just one of many that speak highly of cruise.I also find it amusing when ppl like you say we who follow someone like cruise are sheepish,do you ever consider that you may just be wrong ?it's often the guy who's convinced everyone else is wrong that is driving towards the oncoming traffic

btw BT feel free to come back at me if you wish but this could go on forever so i'm saying agree to disagree,personaly i just wish theyd make an anouncement and this spec could end

Thanks for the mental picture Hunter! I needed a chuckle this morning.

Jayo said:
What about Jaoquin Phoenix for Tony Stark/Iron Man?
I definitely want Cruise for this role, but with the concerns of him doing it this is a solid alternative.

Cruise would be horrible as Iron Man. I don't want Tom Cruise popping his million dollar stupid grin in every scene. Not just him, but any known high-profile actor. I want to believe that this is Tony Stark the way I believed that Hugh Jackman was Wolverine. I had no baggage to lug around with Jackman. I have baggage, whether it's of former characters like Mavrick, Lestat, or Ethan Hunt, or it maybe all of the Nicole Kidman baggage that we the audience associate him with. That's why relatively unknown actors work so much better.

Killgore said:
Cruise would be horrible as Iron Man. I don't want Tom Cruise popping his million dollar stupid grin in every scene. Not just him, but any known high-profile actor. I want to believe that this is Tony Stark the way I believed that Hugh Jackman was Wolverine. I had no baggage to lug around with Jackman. I have baggage, whether it's of former characters like Mavrick, Lestat, or Ethan Hunt, or it maybe all of the Nicole Kidman baggage that we the audience associate him with. That's why relatively unknown actors work so much better.
reality check : whether or not it's cruise this film needs a star or it will not suceed

hunter rider said:
reality check : whether or not it's cruise this film needs a star or it will not suceed

I AGREE.

also

A comparison with Hugh Jackman in X-Men is not cogent. He was an ensemble player, playing the second or third most popular Marvel character of all time, in a movie based on the best selling Marvel Comic of all time.

Iron Man might not even make the top 10 Marvel characters. Definetly hovers around that 8-15 ranking area

BT18 said:
I AGREE.

also

A comparison with Hugh Jackman in X-Men is not cogent. He was an ensemble player, playing the second or third most popular Marvel character of all time, in a movie based on the best selling Marvel Comic of all time.

Iron Man might not even make the top 10 Marvel characters. Definetly hovers around that 8-15 ranking area
yep,the deal with IM in 2006 is that it's gonna be going up against the likes of superman,Mi3,POTC2 and possibly Indy 4,now even with a $100M budget i think it's going to need some star power in the suit as the comic isn't famous enough to attract an audience without some Big name attraction especially in a summer of big movies

OK BT i can kinda see some of your arguments...a little. But who would you suggest that's big enough, but not too big; diversatle enough, but not too artsy; A list, but not too busy or problematic. You get my point.

RAMORE said:
OK BT i can kinda see some of your arguments...a little. But who would you suggest that's big enough, but not too big; diversatle enough, but not too artsy; A list, but not too busy or problematic. You get my point.

Well, I really wanted Johnny Depp, but I'm starting to resign myself to the fact that he'll probably be busy w/ the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels. So to me, Colin Farell is starting to really look like our best bet. Yeah, his hollywood "hotness" (not to be confused with how much chicks are into him) has been a bit on a slide recently w/ Alexander.

However he should be available for it. Miami Vice starts shooting at the beginning of April in Miami. Do you think they'd really go past mid-July in that Miami heat? Michael Mann seems to be a pretty efficient director, I don't think he'd have a bloated, long, principal photography on that thing. I think that if Colin went right from it to Iron Man, he could fit it in. He's not scheduled to do anything else besides it according to IMDB.

And he, I assume, has a good relationship with Marvel. Alot of people think he was the most interesting, entertaining, thing about Daredevil. Plus he's alot closer the ideal age to start a franchise like this than Depp or Cruise.

BT18 said:
Well, I really wanted Johnny Depp, but I'm starting to resign myself to the fact that he'll probably be busy w/ the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels. So to me, Colin Farell is starting to really look like our best bet. Yeah, his hollywood "hotness" (not to be confused with how much chicks are into him) has been a bit on a slide recently w/ Alexander.

However he should be available for it. Miami Vice starts shooting at the beginning of April in Miami. Do you think they'd really go past mid-July in that Miami heat? Michael Mann seems to be a pretty efficient director, I don't think he'd have a bloated, long, principal photography on that thing. I think that if Colin went right from it to Iron Man, he could fit it in. He's not scheduled to do anything else besides it according to IMDB.

And he, I assume, has a good relationship with Marvel. Alot of people think he was the most interesting, entertaining, thing about Daredevil. Plus he's alot closer the ideal age to start a franchise like this than Depp or Cruise.
Not a bad choice IMO, I live in Miami and I know Bad Boys II was here for a while. Traffic downtown was always killer and it was around the summer so it basically depends on the schedule the director wants to keep.

Has anyone mentioned Stuart Townsend? He would be good.

3 people i d like as Iron Man/Stark.

Tom Cruise.
Justin Theroux.
Clive Owen.

Slap some black hair dye on him and Ethan Hawke could rock as Iron Man.

He's only 34 but has alot of maturity.

Both of those ideas are pretty good BT. I'd still like cruise but i'm flexible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"