Is America Overrated?

Stop acting like a dumb ass, put some thought into your posts if that’s possible. Just because a country like America isn’t the worst in the world doesn’t mean it’s the best, Kazakhstan isn’t the worst place in the world to live in but I don’t see anyone besides Borat saying that it’s the best place in the world. America has a crap load of problems that need to be worked out before it’s even close to the best country in the world.

I am not talking about America's problems... I am talking about the title of this thread and the reason it was made... I made those comments (quite bluntly might I add) because I spent about two weeks in India visiting a few relatives last month... not exactly a country that comes to mind when you think of third world countries... thats because its one of the fastest growing economies in the world... and might I say Holy Hell I was dying to get back to America as soon as possible... you walk down the streets of major cities and you can't avoid stepping in trash every step you take... thats because you have to really search hard for garbage cans... and you think New York City traffic or Boston traffic is bad? City traffic here looks like on roads in South Dakota and Wyoming when compared to the streets of Dheli and Madras. And when poor five year old children run up to you and beg for food you just can't help but say sorry and run as quickly as possible away from them thinking that you'll "catch something they have" even though they are perfectly healthy... just malnourished... and o ya... no toilet paper anywhere accept in fancy western style hotels... India's ecenomy is on the fast track no doubt... but its because the rich are getting richer while the poor are still the same as they were 20 years ago... no improvement anywhere from what I saw... so let me say this... stop taking every damn thing in this country for granted and be happy you live in the greatest country in the world... I was so happy when I came back I kissed my own lawn... God Bless America

I am not talking about America's problems... I am talking about the title of this thread and the reason it was made... I made those comments (quite bluntly might I add) because I spent about two weeks in India visiting a few relatives last month... not exactly a country that comes to mind when you think of third world countries... thats because its one of the fastest growing economies in the world... and might I say Holy Hell I was dying to get back to America as soon as possible... you walk down the streets of major cities and you can't avoid stepping in trash every step you take... thats because you have to really search hard for garbage cans... and you think New York City traffic or Boston traffic is bad? City traffic here looks like on roads in South Dakota and Wyoming when compared to the streets of Dheli and Madras. And when poor five year old children run up to you and beg for food you just can't help but say sorry and run as quickly as possible away from them thinking that you'll "catch something they have" even though they are perfectly healthy... just malnourished... and o ya... no toilet paper anywhere accept in fancy western style hotels... India's ecenomy is on the fast track no doubt... but its because the rich are getting richer while the poor are still the same as they were 20 years ago... no improvement anywhere from what I saw... so let me say this... stop taking every damn thing in this country for granted and be happy you live in the greatest country in the world... I was so happy when I came back I kissed my own lawn... God Bless America

There’s a hell of a lot out here besides India, places like Sweden, Ireland and Norway make America look like a second class nation. For such a wonderful country America can’t take care of our uninsured and elderly, not to mention the horrible crime rate. Why don't you go see Japan and the EU before you run off and decide that America is the best thing since sliced bread?

Wow.....this has got to be the craziest, most ungrateful thread I've seen. None of us would probably be here if not for the U.S. and it's influence in the last century. The youngest of all the nations and yet the leader. There are reasons for that. People don't hate us. You're just jealous.

american%20flag%20picture.jpg

Wow.....this has got to be the craziest, most ungrateful thread I've seen. None of us would probably be here if not for the U.S. and it's influence in the last century. The youngest of all the nations and yet the leader. There are reasons for that. People don't hate us. You're just jealous.

Youngest? Have you forgotten about Montenegro? :huh: Besides, there's no reason to post your thoughts, we all knew what you were going to say anyways with your typical neo-con propaganda.

There’s a hell of a lot out here besides India, places like Sweden, Ireland and Norway make America look like a second class nation. For such a wonderful country America can’t take care of our uninsured and elderly, not to mention the horrible crime rate. Why don't you go see Japan and the EU before you run off and decide that America is the best thing since sliced bread?

Oh good grief..........:whatever:

A Hard Lesson About Socialized Medicine

by Michael Tanner
Michael Tanner is director of health and welfare studies at the Cato Institute.
Europeans are now learning some hard facts of life about socialized medicine: there's no such thing as a free lunch. The question is whether Congress will learn from Europe's mistakes as it takes the next steps in reforming the American health care system.
For many years advocates of government-run health care pointed to Europe as an ideal, noting that America was the "only industrialized country without a national health care system." Now, however, the European welfare states are slashing benefits in the face of rising health care costs.
A recent front-page story in the New York Times detailed the European cutbacks. According to the article, Britain, France and Germany are all being forced to limit access to care. Rationing, already extensive, is increasing.

The Europeans have run into a very simple economic rule. If something is perceived as free, people will consume more of it than they would if they had to pay for it. Think of it this way: if food were free, would you eat hamburger or steak? At the same time, health care is a finite good. There are only so many doctors, so many hospital beds and so much technology. If people overconsume those resources, it drives up the cost of health care.

The same problem is besetting the American health care system. The vast majority of American health care is not directly paid for by the person consuming those goods and services. Instead, a third party, either the government or an insurance company, pays the bill.
Medicare is exhibit one. Medicare beneficiaries pay almost nothing out of their own pockets for health care. Under Medicare Part B, for example, the deductible is an absurdly low $100. (There is, however, a 20 percent copayment.) The deductible under Part A is higher, $716 on the first 60 days of hospital care for each spell of illness. There is also a copayment required for hospitalization of longer than 60 days. However, nearly 70 percent of the elderly have some form of "medigap" insurance that covers all or part of the deductibles and copayments.

Thus, recipients have little incentive to be good consumers and avoid unnecessary expenses or seek the best deal for their dollar. Guy King, former chief actuary for the Health Care Financing Administration, says that third-party payment is one of the primary causes of the rapid growth in Medicare expenditures. As King explains, "When people, either patients or doctors, are spending other people's money, they do not worry about the cost or number of services consumed."
The establishment has responded to this problem by trying to force seniors into managed care, thereby allowing insurance companies to ration care. But managed care does not change the underlying incentive structure created by pervasive third-party payment. Any reduction in costs is achieved by limiting access to treatment.

A report by the Department of Health and Human Services' inspector general found "pervasive" quality problems throughout managed care programs for Medicare, including difficulties in gaining access to care. Managed care programs are significantly less likely to use diagnostic tests, such as MRI and CAT scans, than are fee-for-service plans. Doctors report that managed care organizations pressure them to save money even at the cost of quality. One-third of doctors surveyed by the American Medical Association in 1988 stated that patients were harmed by delays or nontreatment as a result of managed care.

Although the election season has temporarily taken Medicare off the table, the issue will be back to haunt the president and Congress next year. Indeed, the most recent report of the Medicare system's Board of Trustees warns that the program faces bankruptcy in just five years.
The question is whether we will recognize the problems of third-party payment and restore consumer incentives by increasing deductibles and allowing recipients to choose medical savings accounts or follow the European example and ration the health care that our seniors depend on.
For years we've been told to look to Europe for lessons about health care. This time, maybe we should.

Surveys???? HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH... I ain't talking about what they think about living there... YOU GO LIVE THERE for a week... then tell me America is overrated

yeah, I live in one....is that enough for you?:yay:

Look you want to debate about the culture and which country's culture is better than this and that... (and the crime rate is probably heavily influenced by the culture) then debate that... I am just talking about the standard of living... those small European countries aren't as nearly as populated and diversified as we are... I am not interested in having a cultural debate or arguing for some sort of cultural revolution... I am just talking about the standard of living which is pretty decent for a nation with our population

Youngest? Have you forgotten about Montenegro? :huh: Besides, there's no reason to post your thoughts, we all knew what you were going to say anyways with your typical neo-con propaganda.

We're still the leader.........And i noticed how you dodged my statement concerning the U.S. influence in the last century. Most of our grand parents would have died and we wouldn't be here.

yeah, I live in one....is that enough for you?:yay:

Then you wouldn't have understood the point I was trying to make... say the guy who started this thread left America for a few months and lived in one of these third world countries... and he wouldn't make those comments I can guarantee

We're still the leader.........And i noticed how you dodged my statement concerning the U.S. influence in the last century. Most of our grand parents would have died and we wouldn't be here.

I didn’t dodge anything, I’m not intimidated by your comments in the least. No one here is “anti-American” or wishes that America didn’t exist. The people who you perceive as “anti-American” are disappointed with the social progress that America hasn’t made. Why do you think that 40 million people are uninsured? Why should 40 million people have to go with out any decent healthcare because they lack the $$$? Don’t you dare even pull the “socialized medicine isn’t good” crap, places like Sweden have the best damn health care around.

ghfchgdlh1xi9.jpg

Look you want to debate about the culture and which country's culture is better than this and that... (and the crime rate is probably heavily influenced by the culture) then debate that... I am just talking about the standard of living... those small European countries aren't as nearly as populated and diversified as we are... I am not interested in having a cultural debate or arguing for some sort of cultural revolution... I am just talking about the standard of living which is pretty decent for a nation with our population

do you even know they density countries like germany have?

american%20flag%20picture.jpg

What have you done for me lately? Then maybe you owe a bigger thanks to Columbus for bring the Europeans to North America? If you feel that way, do you also have remose for what happend to the Native American Indians that were almost wiped out to make this great country for you?

Or let's take it further back. If it wasn't for the Spartans making their stand the early forms of democracy would have been wiped out and the World's entire society would have been completely different.

Or a hundered other things that have occurred in a hundred of other countries throughout the years.

I understand what you're saying and agree with those willing to die for our freedom, and I know that no country is perfect. But....there is still MUCH left to be desired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"