Is Anyone Else Watching "The Birth Of A Nation" ?

Vic Von Doom

Civilian
Reaction score
It's a bit much to just sit and watch a silent film for three hours straight. So I watched the first hour or so and now I'm looking back and forth while listening to the impressive score.

I gotta say...it's sickeningly racist and all that jazz, but it has got to be the most groundbreaking film of all time. Griffith was the first man to actually DIRECT a movie, rather than point the camera at his subjects and say "OK, go" . He invented the use of parallel edits in this film...intercutting during a chase scene! It does not seem that much now, but 90 years ago, this must have been like turning on the lightbulb for the average moviegoer. He was also the first director to use the close-up. Epic battle scenes, an intricate plot...it is really too bad that the film's content is so controversial and wrong, otherwise it would be remembered throughout filmdom as the pioneer of modern cinema.

Bored are the Nation...

It's a rubbish film. Overlong and overrrated. Intolerence is so much better.

Though you're wrong at the end. He is remembered as a pinoeer of modern cinema. Much like Eisenstien pioneered montage, Griffith pioneered cross cutting.

Remembered by some...just the fact that this movie hasn't been on TV in something like 8 years is more than enough testament to the fact that his blackened reputation for making BOAN has also stained what should be his legacy as the father of modern filmmaking.

The film is great when taken just as a story, I view the subject content as this. If the film were about say a whole different race of people we did not know anything about and did not exist, it'd be a fine film because it has all the classic elements there of a good story so that's how I view it. I think the first hour is kidn of boring but after the civil war I think the film is great, I love when the KKK come to save the day not only is it hilarious, it's just a really cool scene.

Vic Von Doom said:
Remembered by some...just the fact that this movie hasn't been on TV in something like 8 years is more than enough testament to the fact that his blackened reputation for making BOAN has also stained what should be his legacy as the father of modern filmmaking.

It's a 3 hour long silent film... How many silent films are on TV in general:confused:

I watched a few minutes of this film... I dont really like silent films.

Vic Von Doom said:
It's a bit much to just sit and watch a silent film for three hours straight. So I watched the first hour or so and now I'm looking back and forth while listening to the impressive score.

I gotta say...it's sickeningly racist and all that jazz, but it has got to be the most groundbreaking film of all time. Griffith was the first man to actually DIRECT a movie, rather than point the camera at his subjects and say "OK, go" . He invented the use of parallel edits in this film...intercutting during a chase scene! It does not seem that much now, but 90 years ago, this must have been like turning on the lightbulb for the average moviegoer. He was also the first director to use the close-up. Epic battle scenes, an intricate plot...it is really too bad that the film's content is so controversial and wrong, otherwise it would be remembered throughout filmdom as the pioneer of modern cinema.

Is this the one with the Ku Klux Klan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"