is spider-man losing his marketability?

It had good fight scenes, but the storyline didn't not flow as well as the Raimi movies, and certain things were just plain dumb... i.e., Peter (the man who can cling to walls) needs to be dramatically grabbed by Dr. Connors before sliding off the roof :whatever:, no matter how hard one throws a football, it shouldn't bent a steel pipe (the ball would explode first), the mysterious Osborn flunky is never seen nor heard of again after the Lizard attack on the bridge... what was his purpose again?, Peter orders his webbing on-line (really????)... Peter's utter disregard to Captain Stacy's promise (unacceptable and not within Peter Parker's character... they could have waited until the second movie before his teenaged hormones kicked in...

I could go on an on, but it was a rather sub-par movie, and I totally expect more for a Spider-Man movie...

Let's hope #2 is a lot better.... the trailers seem intense, but if it has poor acting/poor storyline... gaahhh...

:csad:

I had zero interest in another movie so soon after the Raimi trilogy. I feel the same way about the upcoming Bat-ffleck and I really enjoyed MoS.

It's only been a year.

Look at the old stories that are similar to this one:

Knightfall
Death and Return of Superman
Heroes Reborn
Death of Cap

They were all 1-2 years.

I know but since it has been a year but it feels like it's been much longer is a reflection on how boring the series has become the last 4-6 months of it. The first six months was good and different but now it just seems to be more of the same. I just find this version of Spiderman boring.

I haven't been bored by it at all. I think it's one of the best Spider-Man stories I've read. It's ending soon and just about the right time. When it's all said and done, it will be about a year and a half in length.

Nobody was discussing SM3... we were talking about TASM, and I thought it was painful to watch (see the many reasons above), and he thought it was an ok movie...

No one's talking about SM3... no one said anything was "better"...

Moving forward...

:yay:

I know no one was talkin about sm3 but I think I recall spider aziz saying in some other thread that he liked it more than asm and i'd like to know why

For all of its flaws, I liked SM3 better than TASM... As ridiculous as it was watching emo Peter, the story had a much better flow....

I don't wanna continue derailing this thread but hey things go off topic every now and then. the plot of sm3 essentially to me was a love triangle and I couldn't dig it.

I haven't been bored by it at all. I think it's one of the best Spider-Man stories I've read. It's ending soon and just about the right time. When it's all said and done, it will be about a year and a half in length.

I thought it was good until Otto got rid of the Peter totally from him. I liked how Peter acted like a conscience to him.

It had good fight scenes, but the storyline didn't not flow as well as the Raimi movies, and certain things were just plain dumb... i.e., Peter (the man who can cling to walls) needs to be dramatically grabbed by Dr. Connors before sliding off the roof :whatever:, no matter how hard one throws a football, it shouldn't bent a steel pipe (the ball would explode first), the mysterious Osborn flunky is never seen nor heard of again after the Lizard attack on the bridge... what was his purpose again?, Peter orders his webbing on-line (really????)... Peter's utter disregard to Captain Stacy's promise (unacceptable and not within Peter Parker's character... they could have waited until the second movie before his teenaged hormones kicked in...

I could go on an on, but it was a rather sub-par movie, and I totally expect more for a Spider-Man movie...

Let's hope #2 is a lot better.... the trailers seem intense, but if it has poor acting/poor storyline... gaahhh...

:csad:

Completely argree

As for part 2, I don't really like the trailers. The Spidey in costume scenes look too much like the Spidey video games from PS1 and 2. The animation lacks that realistic look that previous movies have had. Jamie Fox as Electro = Bad casting (of course, Sony has had a bad track record of this...). Sony doesn't care about the character, just about making money. They will milk the character for as much as they can until they have run the property into the ground. At which point they will go "Here you go Marvel/Disney, you can have this crap back now."

Completely argree

As for part 2, I don't really like the trailers. The Spidey in costume scenes look too much like the Spidey video games from PS1 and 2. The animation lacks that realistic look that previous movies have had. Jamie Fox as Electro = Bad casting (of course, Sony has had a bad track record of this...). Sony doesn't care about the character, just about making money. They will milk the character for as much as they can until they have run the property into the ground. At which point they will go "Here you go Marvel/Disney, you can have this crap back now."

I don't get it, why does everyone think jamie foxx is a bad actor? he's a two time oscar nominee for christs sake and he won one too

I've noticed an increase in marked down Spider-Man apparel at stores. They just can't get rid of the stuff. Not even at Wal-Mart. One of my friends' girlfriend broke up with him because he said he kinda sorta liked Spider-Man. She wouldn't take him back until he said it was a bad joke and that he will "never joke about such a tragedy again."
One year later, I see this, and :lmao:

what?!?! his girlfriend just despised spiderman for watever reason

Yeah but who's under the mask for that float? :o

Oh wait....it's just helium.:o:o

Marvel can try and shove it down my throat. But Peter Parker will always make a better Spider-Man than helium ever could.

what?!?! his girlfriend just despised spiderman for watever reason
It's sarcasm, Phantasm made it clear two posts later
Imagine if someone did despise Spider-Man that much, lol, too personal

I thought of this again when I was looking at the Marvel Heroes game
you've got Wolverine, front and centre with Spidey off to the side
https://marvelheroes.com/heroes/list

I'm not trying to say Spider-Man isn't marketable, I mean that other Characters like Wolverine and Iron Man are viewed as a bigger seller by Marvel. If you look at most of their recent stuff, it's usually one of those two that the focus is put on

so i thought i'd post some more examples

marvel vs capcom 3 - iron man and wolverine centre stage - spidey no where in sight
marvelvscapcom3.png

same game wolveirne centre stage
Marvel-VS-Capcom-2-Promo-121121419.jpg

same deal
Marvel-vs-Capcom-PS3.jpg

Civil War comic
civil-war.jpg

NEWAVN045_800.jpg

spidey does show up pretty big in this one, but hes not the main focus
48784_26780.jpg

spideys hiding
TheAvengers2010cover1.jpg

IMG_0468.gif

Avengers battle for earth game (spidey behind Iron Man, Cap, Hulk, and Wolverine)
http://www.amazon.ca/Marvel-Avenger...299&sr=8-1&keywords=avengers+battle+for+earth

Lego Marvel Superheroes (Iron Man and Wolvie in front)
http://www.amazon.ca/Lego-Marvel-Su...7371&sr=8-1&keywords=lego+marvel+super+heroes

Oh wow I hadn't noticed those, it's a sad day when Marvel's flagship mascot for almost 40 years gets upstaged by Iron Man and Captain America, I mean what's next, the Guardians Of The Galaxy taking the spotlight? Are we now gonna see the annual Macy's Spider-Man balloon replaced with a Rocket Raccoon balloon?

I don't think it's an issue of Spider-Man losing his marketability... it's more the case that lesser known Marvel heroes are now basking in the same sun as Spidey has for 50 years...

Thanks to the movies, people know who Iron Man is now... as well as others... and that's awesome. :up:

How many characters in the Macy Grey parade balloons are known?

He's not losing marketability, his movies are underwhelming to the public, that's all

Thanks to the movies, people know who Iron Man is now... as well as others... and that's awesome. :up:

It's had some major drawbacks though. Like the movies dictating the comics instead of the other way around.

I don't think it's an issue of Spider-Man losing his marketability... it's more the case that lesser known Marvel heroes are now basking in the same sun as Spidey has for 50 years...

What about Wolverine? He's the one who's mostly in the spot light. Apparently he's in the most comics as well. Is he a bigger to sell to the comic book audience?

I thought of this again when I was looking at the Marvel Heroes game
you've got Wolverine, front and centre with Spidey off to the side
https://marvelheroes.com/heroes/list

Just to show the flaw in the logic, I'll just talk about this one. Yes, Spider-Man is off to the side, but so is Iron Man. Is Iron Man losing his marketability? Is front and center the most popular? If so, are we saying Scarlet Witch is more popular than Iron Man? My only point is that placement order isn't the only clear factor.

By contrast, here is the cover of the 75th Anniversary Marvel Omnibus. Notice which character stands out above all the rest.

Just to show the flaw in the logic, I'll just talk about this one. Yes, Spider-Man is off to the side, but so is Iron Man. Is Iron Man losing his marketability? Is front and center the most popular? If so, are we saying Scarlet Witch is more popular than Iron Man? My only point is that placement order isn't the only clear factor.

By contrast, here is the cover of the 75th Anniversary Marvel Omnibus. Notice which character stands out above all the rest.
I'm aware this isn't always the case. I'm saying that lately I'm seeing Wolverine over Spidey

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"