Superman Returns Is the general audience being scared off by a more artsy presentation?

\S/JcDc\S/

Superhero
Reaction score
I think that general casual fans could be having trouble getting truly excited about SR because it doesn't look like any other comic book film to date. There is something different about the environment all together. It doesn't have that modern X-men look... It doesn't have that light hearted cartoonish Spidey look... It also doesn't have the grounded entirely in reality Batman look...

So from the footage we have seen, I think it's quite likely that people aren't reacting to the trailer positive or negative because it doesn't appear like anything we've seen. Everyone got used to a certain dynamic with hollywood superhero films in their look, but Singer is going in a new direction.

Is this a problem with casual fans in your opinion?

I don't think there's a problem at all. It looks a lot like the Donner movie which A LOT of us have seen, and the trailer even SOUNDS like it, too. I don't think general casual fans are having a problem with the film, certainly not because it's too "artsy" it's a more languid teaser, yes--but it's just a teaser. There's two separate threads that show the movie is getting a LOT of buzz amongst with the other summer flicks scheduled for last year.

I think the premise you're starting out with is a little flawed. There hasn't been THAT much footage for the general public to look at in the first place. If the trailer isn't getting much reaction in theaters, I think that's more due to the trailer editing and the choice of footage used, rather than the fact it looks too "arty" for them.

Fatboy Roberts said:
I don't think there's a problem at all. It looks a lot like the Donner movie which A LOT of us have seen, and the trailer even SOUNDS like it, too. I don't think general casual fans are having a problem with the film, certainly not because it's too "artsy" it's a more languid teaser, yes--but it's just a teaser. There's two separate threads that show the movie is getting a LOT of buzz amongst with the other summer flicks scheduled for last year.

I think the premise you're starting out with is a little flawed. There hasn't been THAT much footage for the general public to look at in the first place. If the trailer isn't getting much reaction in theaters, I think that's more due to the trailer editing and the choice of footage used, rather than the fact it looks too "arty" for them.

I don't think it looks like Donner's at all :o The skies, the buildings, the lighting, etc... Such a difference.

I think thats the best thing about it, it dosen't look like a comic book film.

Fatboy Roberts said:

Well said. I agree. :up:

Singer's doing for Superman what he did with X-Men. He's not making a superhero action movie. He's making a sci-fi drama first. That is what makes me love Singer. He's able to deliver action, but not in abundant doses. Yet, nevertheless, his movies are compelling and interesting, demanding riveting performances from characters that keep us interested through the two hour flick and then multiple viewings.

The man knows story. Period. He doesn't care about action so much as he cares about story, and he understands that the story itself will construct the action neccessary to support it, not the other way around.

SR looks the way it does -- like a painted picture -- because SInger understands that this can't be comapred or categorized. It has to be an entity onto itself, as the LOTR films were. They are on their own pedestal, somehow part of, yet beyond, the fantasy genre.

I think Superman Returns will do the same thing. It'll be part of the comic book world, but somehow function beyond and above it at the same time, mainly due to Singer's vision.

X-Man fans decry him, but I think they'll be gnashing their teeth when they see what Singer can do with full studio support and budget.

Also, remember one of the reasons Batman Begins was so respected was because of its "indie" feel.

super_800_2.jpg
super_800_10.jpg

f2.jpg

mugger2.jpg

These films look nothing alike other than 2 guys who look like Superman.

:confused:

Seriously SR has a surreal look to it especially evident in how the sky is lit, the building architecture, etc...

STM is gritty NY in the city.

i think it's still too early to tell. we still not sure about the environment... wait for the next teaser trailer.

bosef982 said:
Also, remember one of the reasons Batman Begins was so respected was because of its "indie" feel.
respected? let's see if batman appears in the oscar. the action looks like any tv drama...

Mankiewicz AND Donner in the commentary and the documentaries, make sure to draw attention to the fact they wanted to light and shoot the Metropolis scenes as colorful and vibrant as a comic book. He wanted the first half to look like a rockwell painting, and the 2nd half to look like Curt Swan. Gritty didn't really enter into it. Those screencaps you're using DVD caps or old LD caps? That might make a difference, the LD was garbage.

I don't think Returns looks surreal. It looks very evocatively lit and shot, and reflective of the advances in filmmaking technology, much in the same way inkers and colorists today have a lot more tools and make their work look a lot cleaner and deeper than you could do back in the 70's.

I had always seen the Smallville parts of SM:TM as a sort of Rockwell painting come to life. I find it cool that Donner was going for that feel :up:

I have the same feeling towards this film, based in Rockwell style imagery.

It gives the film an older, classic feeling to it. Like an old saturday morning matinee... Just the type of feeling I believe Singer is trying to capture with this film. The same sence of wonder and adventure that Superman (IMO) personifies.

Just rewatching the trailer in HD gives me chills...it's so much classier than other trailers (achem)

just wait till you see the box office for king kong this weekend. both films have a similar visual flair, and both include big name iconic characters.

bosef982 said:
Just rewatching the trailer in HD gives me chills...it's so much classier than other trailers (achem)

Absolutely. The novelty of explosions wears off rather quickly. :o

Fatboy, I was going for the Rockwell/Curt Swan comment as well. I was going to point out that Singer's Smallville vistas seem to be the same, and he's substituting Fleischer for Swan with regard to the Metropolis cityscape

As for the original comment by \S/JcDc\S/, I think you're right to a certain degree. Both films are equally new and fresh when applied to their contemporary films. I think SR, in relation to the other films of its generation, is going to have the same effect as S:TM had when compared to the films of its generation.

\S/JcDc\S/ said:
I think that general casual fans could be having trouble getting truly excited about SR because it doesn't look like any other comic book film to date. There is something different about the environment all together. It doesn't have that modern X-men look... It doesn't have that light hearted cartoonish Spidey look... It also doesn't have the grounded entirely in reality Batman look...

So from the footage we have seen, I think it's quite likely that people aren't reacting to the trailer positive or negative because it doesn't appear like anything we've seen. Everyone got used to a certain dynamic with hollywood superhero films in their look, but Singer is going in a new direction.

Is this a problem with casual fans in your opinion?

Not at all. In fact, SR's teaser reminds me a lot of the first teaser for BB which was released in August last year (the one with Bale's voiceover). Both teasers had dialogue in the background and very little action which seemed to give the films this "artsy" vibe you're talking about.

Just wait until you see the TV spots for this film.

Phaser said:
Not at all. In fact, SR's teaser reminds me a lot of the first teaser for BB which was released in August last year (the one with Bale's voiceover). Both teasers had dialogue in the background and very little action which seemed to give the films this "artsy" vibe you're talking about.

Just wait until you see the TV spots for this film.
watch the trailers but do not never watch tv-spots. it is a fact that they show to much good scenes from action scenes to the twists.

dark_b said:
watch the trailers but do not never watch tv-spots. it is a fact that they show to much good scenes from action scenes to the twists.

But that's what the "general audience" who're getting detracted from the film because of the "artsy" presentation want, don't they? And that's exactly what they'll get with the TV spots.

well, at the risk of reopening old wounds...

of the causal fans i've been speaking with over the past few weeks the reason why they're not as hyped up is because of the guy who playes Supes. that's their number one reason. they feel that he just doesnt quite capture the imagination, even if he does resemble Reeve (some have said they dont like him because of this). to them, he doesnt quite make as much impact. i asked if its because they've been spoiled by the deluge of superhero flicks as of late, with big VFX and action sequences. cumulatively their response was this: this is SUPERMAN, he's the king of all superhero movies, they're thrilled there is even A movie. true that a lot of them are looking at the Donner movies for comparisson, but their level of expectations just isnt being met somehow. they know its not gonna be a 70s cheesy movie, but for some reason they feel its gonna be just another superhero movie. a lot of them have said that they dont feel like they did with Spiderman or Batman Begins. dont get them wrong, they're excited, its just that they're not THAT excited.

I think the presentation is fine. Burton's Batman films had an artsy look too and they were GREAT.

King Kong has a very period-piece look too...but I think it's going to be amazing.

Steelsheen said:
well, at the risk of reopening old wounds...

of the causal fans i've been speaking with over the past few weeks the reason why they're not as hyped up is because of the guy who playes Supes. that's their number one reason. they feel that he just doesnt quite capture the imagination, even if he does resemble Reeve (some have said they dont like him because of this). to them, he doesnt quite make as much impact. i asked if its because they've been spoiled by the deluge of superhero flicks as of late, with big VFX and action sequences. cumulatively their response was this: this is SUPERMAN, he's the king of all superhero movies, they're thrilled there is even A movie. true that a lot of them are looking at the Donner movies for comparisson, but their level of expectations just isnt being met somehow. they know its not gonna be a 70s cheesy movie, but for some reason they feel its gonna be just another superhero movie. a lot of them have said that they dont feel like they did with Spiderman or Batman Begins. dont get them wrong, they're excited, its just that they're not THAT excited.
what do you think people thought about batman begins in december?????'
think about it.:o

actully no..I think the movie going public are craving for movies with a more...artsy feeling to it..just look at bond.

you folks spend way too much goddamn time obsessing over this movie and what its legacy is going to be to cinema and pop culture. this from an incredibly nerdy Superman fan.

I think the reason Superman Returns is going to appeal both to the mass general audience and to hardcore fans is because it's going to be well balanced. From what we know/I know there is going to be a myriad of emotions that this film will convey. We aren't only going to see action, we are going to see drama and a little romance. I think what Singer is doing is setting up the audience to actually feel for these characters first and formost. This is what any good storyteller does first, and the story is first and foremost Singer's.

Returns is laying the foundation for a new saga in the story of Superman. The audience needs to feel the emotions of the characters. They need to feel Lois' anger towards Superman for leaving. The people's indifference to Superman's return. Superman's sadness when finding out that the people and Lois don't really need him anymore. This story is built on emotions and hopefully will deliver in every aspect.

Monstera said:
you folks spend way too much goddamn time obsessing over this movie and what its legacy is going to be to cinema and pop culture. this from an incredibly nerdy Superman fan.

It's called debating...it's refereshing to debate the reaction of the general public. It's better than debating the reaction of the incredibly nerdy Superman fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"