Superman Returns Is the general audience being scared off by a more artsy presentation?

Matt said:
There is a good chance it'll happen. The general public will quite possibly react badly to it. It is a decent possibility. Moreso of one than many here want to accept. Especially with a just as if not more so anticipated, better timed, better momentum, summer block buster that did not take an artsy approach coming out a week after SR.

I wouldnt be so sure. The fact that you are cutting SR short like that illustrates a lack of forseeability. Comic book movies in general have done well at the Box Office over the years (consider Spider-Man, Spider-Man II, X2, Batman Begins) and there is a good possibility that SR will also make a solid impact at the box office as well. Maybe not a phenomenal impact, but a memorable one, nonetheless.

DorkyFresh said:
do us a favor. lay off the...

haterade.jpg

A lot of people around here need to lay off that... :rolleyes:

the thing about Superman is.....the original movie was a classic, so Superman is more than just a comic book movie. to a lot of people, Superman is a pop icon of American culture...so a lot of the general audience who's gonna go see Superman won't be thinking "great, another comic book flick" they'll be thinking "ooooo! the long awaited sequel to the movies i grew up with as a child!"

DorkyFresh said:
the thing about Superman is.....the original movie was a classic, so Superman is more than just a comic book movie. to a lot of people, Superman is a pop icon of American culture...so a lot of the general audience who's gonna go see Superman won't be thinking "great, another comic book flick" they'll be thinking "ooooo! the long awaited sequel to the movies i grew up with as a child!"

Excluding Superman III and IV... I'm inclined to agree with you.

no...but if you read Matt's last 50 posts, i'm sure you'll come the same conclusion ;)

DorkyFresh said:
no...but if you read Matt's last 50 posts, i'm sure you'll come the same conclusion ;)

I actually have, he doesn't like where the movie is heading. Big deal. He is not using childish pictures, smileys and thumbs-up when someone else says something negative. He posts his dis-likes in a calm, well thought out manner.

His opinion is different than yours. Deal with it.

If he did it in a calm, well thought out manner, he wouldnt have been warned and threatened with the prospect of being banned by one of the mods (2 days ago).

Kane said:
If he did it in a calm, well thought out manner, he wouldnt have been warned and threatened with the prospect of being banned by one of the mods (2 days ago).

Everyone gets heated every once in a while. I can see Matt getting kicked all around this board, look no further than this thread for proof. The "Usual Suspects" jump all over him at every chance, and it is not civil in the least.

His opinion is different than yours. Deal with it.

DogofKrypton said:
I actually have, he doesn't like where the movie is heading. Big deal. He is not using childish pictures, smileys and thumbs-up when someone else says something negative.
first off....since when has using pictures and smileys ever been considered CHILDISH??? the boards have these features for a reason.....SO WE CAN USE THEM. if you're gonna call me childish...be straight up about it.

He posts his dis-likes in a calm, well thought out manner.
calm? maybe. well thought out? i disagree....but that's just my opinion ;)

His opinion is diffrent than yours. Deal with it.
if there's anyone here making a big deal out of it....it's you. so since we're CLEARLY getting off topic, calm your @$$ down and have one of these...

Chill%20Pill.png

\S/JcDc\S/ said:
I think that general casual fans could be having trouble getting truly excited about SR because it doesn't look like any other comic book film to date. There is something different about the environment all together. It doesn't have that modern X-men look... It doesn't have that light hearted cartoonish Spidey look... It also doesn't have the grounded entirely in reality Batman look...

So from the footage we have seen, I think it's quite likely that people aren't reacting to the trailer positive or negative because it doesn't appear like anything we've seen. Everyone got used to a certain dynamic with hollywood superhero films in their look, but Singer is going in a new direction.

Honestly, when I see photos of various Superman sets I get a Batman Forever kind of vibe. That movie also had this surrealistic atmosphere and it looks like Superman is going in the same direction...only with a brighter tone instead of darkness and neon.

dogofkrypton.....let it go.....it's obvious you got more riled up over the "haterade" gif than he even did, so you're the one out of line. chill out...seriously. we're getting off topic and i don't want this thread closed because of it.

if HE has a problem with me then he can take it up with me. he's capable of fighting his own battles....you don't have to do it for him.

DorkyFresh said:
first off....since when has using pictures and smileys ever been considered CHILDISH??? the boards have these features for a reason.....SO WE CAN USE THEM. if you're gonna call me childish...be straight up about it.

if there's anyone here making a big deal out of it....it's you. so since we're CLEARLY getting off topic, calm your @$$ down and have one of these...

Chill%20Pill.png

You are childish. Thanks for proving my point.

You all ARE unbelievable. So now, defending someone's right to dissent open's you up for ridicule?? Most of you should be thankful for the anonimity of the internet.....

DogofKrypton said:
You are childish. Thanks for proving my point.
i'm childish? you're the one who can't let go of this thing...i've already asked you twice and you still can't. me posting pictures is not a big deal.....people do it all the time. want proof? visit the manips thread...

i'm going to ask you once again...NICELY, and if you're so much more of an adult than i am...then you'll honor my wish. PLEASE, for the sake of the thread, drop it.

i will say this i honestly think Donner is controling singer here.... some how Donner is involved whether the WB or the Salkainds like it or not

Cheers Dog :up:

Anyway, this thread has only proven to show the maturity of certain posters. I did nothing wrong, I made a valid post on how the artsy approach could hurt the film with a more traditional blockbuster coming out a week later. You simply resorted to the "hater" defense. Well children, all that crap you were *****ing on in the civility thread works both ways, you've all been reported for trolling. Have a nice day :)

M.E.H.Z.E.B said:
I wouldnt be so sure. The fact that you are cutting SR short like that illustrates a lack of forseeability. Comic book movies in general have done well at the Box Office over the years (consider Spider-Man, Spider-Man II, X2, Batman Begins) and there is a good possibility that SR will also make a solid impact at the box office as well. Maybe not a phenomenal impact, but a memorable one, nonetheless.

The thing is, most comic movies are not "artsy"...they are popcorn films...they are decent popcorn films...but popcorn films nne the less. Look at the one other comic film that took an artsy approach, the Hulk...and look what happened with that. It wasn't a bomb, but it wasn't a hit either.

Matt said:
Look at the one other comic film that took an artsy approach, the Hulk...and look what happened with that. It wasn't a bomb, but it wasn't a hit either.
Batman Begins took an artsy/film nior approach...look how succesful that was.

The only thing I can think of, that the audience would be scared off by, is that the film follows/resembles too much of Supes 1 and 2. Almost like a BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, kind of thing. I hope not, but I'm looking at all of the images from this film and 90% of it, I've either seen on Smallville or in Supes 1 or 2, just with better effects.

Matt said:
The thing is, most comic movies are not "artsy"...they are popcorn films...they are decent popcorn films...but popcorn films nne the less. Look at the one other comic film that took an artsy approach, the Hulk...and look what happened with that. It wasn't a bomb, but it wasn't a hit either.

The thing about Hulk is it was pretentiously artsy...an oscar bait film masquerading as a comic book movie. It was a slow, plodding drama with no likeable (or interesting) characters, not even a hint of comedy and the action had very little payoff.

I don't think Singer's Superman will even come close to Ang Lee's approach and that's a good thing.

DorkyFresh said:
Batman Begins took an artsy/film nior approach...look how succesful that was.

Batman Begins was not artsy. And its not as if it produced Spider-man numbers.

Wall Street Journal's latest estimate on this budget is 260 million. It needs Spider-man numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"