Is the Hulk in trouble even before the first ticket has been purchased?

Webhead38

Sidekick
Reaction score
With the first film performing considerably less than stellar at the box office, I was surprised when Marvel annouced a second go around so soon. I assumed this meant Marvel had come across an idea or look they were really sold on and, with past lessons learned, were ready to put this project back on the "serious list" of films they believed in.

SO I walked into this with a little bit of hope but I thought I would wait until Marvel showed everyone else what sold them so quickly. Well, I've been waiting...and waiting...oh a shadowy pic of our new beast...yeah, okay. Need more info. So I'm waiting and waiting. Now here we are barely five months before this film opens and we still don't have so much as a teaser for this picture. Rumors are there will be no teaser for the Superbowl either...huh? Oh, that's right. I remember the issues the last Hulk film raised when Marvel released that trailer during the Superbowl. No one seem to like the CGI and the excuse was, it wasn't quite finished yet. Unfortunately it looked the same when the movie came out. Does it's absense in the Super Bowl this year suggest they're afraid of the same misfortune striking again? Hmmmmm.
Well, at this point, it's all speculation but Marvel is beginning to look like they have given this film a vote of no confidence. Any special effects film remotely worthy of these inflated ticket prices should have something good in the can with five months to go, so I've got to believe this is a picture in trouble. Your thoughts?

Right, your fanboy impatience is a direct collation to a lack of worthy presentable material.

Right, no confidence, they gave millions of dollars to a movie they don't believe in. Because Marvel, a comic book company FINALLY venturing into movies for themselves wants to just throw money in the toilet.

Yeah.

Okay.

While Webhead38 may be jumping the gun slightly, he does have a good point.

Look back at most films...this close to release they would have already had the teaser out and possible a full trailer.

I don't know what Marvel/Universal are waiting on but waiting 4 months before the film is released to show just the teaser(unless they skip that and go straight to full trailer) is bad marketing for the film.

They need to get this in everyone's face. The ads list for the Superbowl has Universal down, so hopefully we get a sneak peak tomorrow.

Right, no confidence, they gave millions of dollars to a movie they don't believe in. Because Marvel, a comic book company FINALLY venturing into movies for themselves wants to just throw money in the toilet.

Yeah.

Okay.

That's true. What am I thinking? Why should any film need marketing for a summer season loaded with established blockbusters (unlike the Hulk) in May and June? Gosh! Marvel please don't throw that money away! Hopefully every "fan boy" on this forum will 'tell it on the mountain' so the rest of the public knows about this film...Don't quit your day job. :whatever:

While Webhead38 may be jumping the gun slightly, he does have a good point.

Look back at most films...this close to release they would have already had the teaser out and possible a full trailer.

I don't know what Marvel/Universal are waiting on but waiting 4 months before the film is released to show just the teaser(unless they skip that and go straight to full trailer) is bad marketing for the film.

They need to get this in everyone's face. The ads list for the Superbowl has Universal down, so hopefully we get a sneak peak tomorrow.

Exactly. This summer is going to be crowded with sequels from well established blockbusters, like Indiana Jones, Batman, and another Harry Potter movie just for starters. You have to remember too that marketing isn't just for the public, it's for the theaters as well. If theaters don't think a film is getting much press, their not going to order as many prints and will relegate films like these quickly into smaller venues. That is the business and ultimately the fate of the Hulk if Marvel doesn't get the ball rolling on this project.

Right, your fanboy impatience is a direct collation to a lack of worthy presentable material.

"Fan-boy inpatience"? Not here. As mentioned above, if your not prepared to wage war against your competition, you'll get swallowed up quickly. Like it or not, that is the business.

That's true. What am I thinking? Why should any film need marketing for a summer season loaded with established blockbusters (unlike the Hulk) in May and June? Gosh! Marvel please don't throw that money away! Hopefully every "fan boy" on this forum will 'tell it on the mountain' so the rest of the public knows about this film...Don't quit your day job. :whatever:

Didn't say they weren't dropping the ball marketing wise.

Did say they weren't deliberately ignoring it.

How about you heed your own advice eh kid?

What I'm saying is, we NEED a trailer and SOON. And the trailer should be so good, it's just like "DAMN!" and everyone is shocked.

The Dark what? Iron who?

With the first film performing considerably less than stellar at the box office, I was surprised when Marvel annouced a second go around so soon. I assumed this meant Marvel had come across an idea or look they were really sold on and, with past lessons learned, were ready to put this project back on the "serious list" of films they believed in.

SO I walked into this with a little bit of hope but I thought I would wait until Marvel showed everyone else what sold them so quickly. Well, I've been waiting...and waiting...oh a shadowy pic of our new beast...yeah, okay. Need more info. So I'm waiting and waiting. Now here we are barely five months before this film opens and we still don't have so much as a teaser for this picture. Rumors are there will be no teaser for the Superbowl either...huh? Oh, that's right. I remember the issues the last Hulk film raised when Marvel released that trailer during the Superbowl. No one seem to like the CGI and the excuse was, it wasn't quite finished yet. Unfortunately it looked the same when the movie came out. Does it's absense in the Super Bowl this year suggest they're afraid of the same misfortune striking again? Hmmmmm.
Well, at this point, it's all speculation but Marvel is beginning to look like they have given this film a vote of no confidence. Any special effects film remotely worthy of these inflated ticket prices should have something good in the can with five months to go, so I've got to believe this is a picture in trouble. Your thoughts?

Ok, I write this one last time so all (especially Webhead38) might understand the marketing that Marvel is setting up for both Marvel movies. First and foremost, Iron Man is the first movie up this year and he seems ignorant to the fact that even though the Hulk hasn't shown anything of real significance, its because they are thumping away at promoting IM. There is no lack of confidence there, just a methodical purpose to the marketing. If they bombard the market with Hulk stuff now, we would be the only ones satisfied, not the general consensus. They want the Hulk to remain fresh in the minds of the non-Hulk fans they seek and target. You and I will see this movie anyway. As far as the movie being in trouble, the only ones panicking are the fan boys and no one else. Oh, and for your information, Universal was the one promoting the 2003 movie and in charge of marketing, not Marvel. We don't need a teaser during the Super Bowl, Iron Man needs the promos at this time. I will take three straight months of heavy promos any day. So anxious to see a character we know already. You guys obviously don't understand marketing and there's nothing you can write or offer to change that statement. Once again, Marvel knows what they are doing. That is a fact. get over it. :dry:

We are all so spoiled by places like this that practically tell us everything about a movie before it comes out. Ya know, I remember as a kid, we didn't have the net, so we actually had to wait until the release date to find out if Vader was truly Luke's father. How do you think that felt?......Pretty damn exciting to be honest.

Ok, I write this one last time so all (especially Webhead38) might understand the marketing that Marvel is setting up for both Marvel movies. First and foremost, Iron Man is the first movie up this year and he seems ignorant to the fact that even though the Hulk hasn't shown anything of real significance, its because they are thumping away at promoting IM. There is no lack of confidence there, just a methodical purpose to the marketing. If they bombard the market with Hulk stuff now, we would be the only ones satisfied, not the general consensus. They want the Hulk to remain fresh in the minds of the non-Hulk fans they seek and target. You and I will see this movie anyway. As far as the movie being in trouble, the only ones panicking are the fan boys and no one else. Oh, and for your information, Universal was the one promoting the 2003 movie and in charge of marketing, not Marvel. We don't need a teaser during the Super Bowl, Iron Man needs the promos at this time. I will take three straight months of heavy promos any day. So anxious to see a character we know already. You guys obviously don't understand marketing and there's nothing you can write or offer to change that statement. Once again, Marvel knows what they are doing. That is a fact. get over it. :dry:

First, let me thank you for aiming this directly at me since I appear to the be the newly appointed antagonist to your fandom (clearly on display by your forum name). I'm sorry if you've got your back up over what amounts to very fair and well earned speculation regarding the marketing of this film. Now for more pain... I hate to tell you this, but if Marvel has even REMOTELY conducted their marketing strategy in the manner you have suggested above, they are likely to die a quick and immediate death in the movie business. First, Iron Man and the Hulk are not that far apart in release dates. Promotional shots of Iron Man were released some time ago in 2007, which was soon followed by a teaser and fully developed trailer - That was for the fans and to give the studio an early pulse on reaction and strong points regarding the film's perception. The Superbowl ad tomorrow is the results of that research and Marvel's official introduction to the general public.

The Hulk has a far more pressing problem which required earlier attention than Iron Man. It already has a public perception...and it's a bad one. Forget the public for a minute and let's just talk about fan perception. It takes quite a bit of work to overhaul fan perception when it comes to a failed theatrical project. Ask Warner Bros. and Schumacher with regards to the Batman franchise if your in doubt. Batman Begins was heavily promoted and shots of his new look and the story were circulated long before the film's release date, because the studio needed to know where they stood not only from the fans but the general public as well. What your suggesting is that Marvel has PURPOSELY invested a fortune on a newly developed concept of the Hulk (which previously failed miserably) and they never had any intention of introducing EVEN the first real picture of the creature, let alone a teaser, until 90 days before the film comes out? No offense buddy but your marketing logic is a train wreck on it's best day. And what about the outside investors? Marvel isn't doing this by themselves pal. Do you think those investors are happy with the fact the Superbowl will come and go and the general public still doesn't know about this project?

What are they going to do? The Superbowl is significant because it represents the last opportunity films have to reach a mass audience before the summer bonanza begins. Where's this film's exposure going to be? In empty movie theaters until May? The film's release date might seem way off to you, but from a marketing stand point, we're in the eleventh hour for getting the word out about the film to the general public and they haven't even given the fans a good shot of him yet. Word to the wise. That's not kicking up interest, it's stacking bad speculation on top of old perceptions from the last film.

Whether you want to swallow it or not, a big effects film that can't even give a picture, A PICTURE, with less than five months to go has a serious perception problem internally. Obviously they don't have enough faith even in the fans to let them see a clear still shot of the green goliath and YOU think Marvel planned it this way? I'll tell you what this looks like. It looks like the marketing strategy for a cheaply made horror film that just needs the ticket sales from the diehards to turn a profit after the first weekend. That is the strategy you are eluding to. Something has gone wrong with this project and the train is leaving the tracks. Marvel best be pushing some pictures and a trailer in short order or this film is dead on arrival.

First, let me thank you for aiming this directly at me since I appear to the be the newly appointed antagonist to your fandom (clearly on display by your forum name). I'm sorry if you've got your back up over what amounts to very fair and well earned speculation regarding the marketing of this film. Now for more pain... I hate to tell you this, but if Marvel has even REMOTELY conducted their marketing strategy in the manner you have suggested above, they are likely to die a quick and immediate death in the movie business. First, Iron Man and the Hulk are not that far apart in release dates. Promotional shots of Iron Man were released some time ago in 2007, which was soon followed by a teaser and fully developed trailer - That was for the fans and to give the studio an early pulse on reaction and strong points regarding the film's perception. The Superbowl ad tomorrow is the results of that research and Marvel's official introduction to the general public.

The Hulk has a far more pressing problem which required earlier attention than Iron Man. It already has a public perception...and it's a bad one. Forget the public for a minute and let's just talk about fan perception. It takes quite a bit of work to overhaul fan perception when it comes to a failed theatrical project. Ask Warner Bros. and Schumacher with regards to the Batman franchise if your in doubt. Batman Begins was heavily promoted and shots of his new look and the story were circulated long before the film's release date, because the studio needed to know where they stood not only from the fans but the general public as well. What your suggesting is that Marvel has PURPOSELY invested a fortune on a newly developed concept of the Hulk (which previously failed miserably) and they never had any intention of introducing EVEN the first real picture of the creature, let alone a teaser, until 90 days before the film comes out? No offense buddy but your marketing logic is a train wreck on it's best day. And what about the outside investors? Marvel isn't doing this by themselves pal. Do you think those investors are happy with the fact the Superbowl will come and go and the general public still doesn't know about this project?

What are they going to do? The Superbowl is significant because it represents the last opportunity films have to reach a mass audience before the summer bonanza begins. Where's this film's exposure going to be? In empty movie theaters until May? The film's release date might seem way off to you, but from a marketing stand point, we're in the eleventh hour for getting the word out about the film to the general public and they haven't even given the fans a good shot of him yet. Word to the wise. That's not kicking up interest, it's stacking bad speculation on top of old perceptions from the last film.

Whether you want to swallow it or not, a big effects film that can't even give a picture, A PICTURE, with less than five months to go has a serious perception problem internally. Obviously they don't have enough faith even in the fans to let them see a clear still shot of the green goliath and YOU think Marvel planned it this way? I'll tell you what this looks like. It looks like the marketing strategy for a cheaply made horror film that just needs the ticket sales from the diehards to turn a profit after the first weekend. That is the strategy you are eluding to. Something has gone wrong with this project and the train is leaving the tracks. Marvel best be pushing some pictures and a trailer in short order or this film is dead on arrival.
well, that as very well said. i agree totally with the batman refference. batman begins had a huge problem with bringing fans back after batman and robin. hulk was by no means as bad as that movie, but it didnt give any one what if promised in trailers. take out the hulk bits, your left with utter crap. and even some hulk bits are cringe worthy. i dont know of any other movie with such a huge fan base, huge cast, that has left marketing this late in the game. its a joke, and sorry eb, you know i respect ya, but its a pathetic joke at best.

Obviously they don't have enough faith even in the fans to let them see a clear still shot of the green goliath and YOU think Marvel planned it this way? I'll tell you what this looks like. It looks like the marketing strategy for a cheaply made horror film that just needs the ticket sales from the diehards to turn a profit after the first weekend. That is the strategy you are eluding to. Something has gone wrong with this project and the train is leaving the tracks. Marvel best be pushing some pictures and a trailer in short order or this film is dead on arrival.

Obviously you are overreacting, you know nothing of Marvel marketing plans. :whatever:
Edward Norton is into this for the long run, he wants sequels to this film, he wrote the script, I don't think failure is an option for him nor Marvel, your speculations are just nonsensical.

Maybe it's just me, but the simple fact that I know I'll see Hulk and Abomb duke it out on the screen.....it's all I need. Word of mouth can in itself be a huge marketing tool and free advertisment to boot. I've never been a big IM fan....will I see it, yes, but amoung my fellow collectors and other people in the comic book business....IM needs more marketing. People outside of comics have heard or know of the Hulk outside the bomb of the 03 film. The TV show and succesful Saturday cartoon morning etc., most know of the Hulk in some form or fashion. However, people outside the hobby/industry have never even heard of IM. So, IM needs the marketing more so than the Hulk at this point. I say IM gets the SB plug, while I expect the Hulk to get some airtime during the NCAA tournament, which plays to a huge audience as well and over a longer span in which to market the film and keep it fresh in the general publics mind.

I don't believe the film is in trouble. I believe it's on the path that the franchise should have taken from the beginning.

I do believe that the studio is carefully considering the aftertaste left behind from the failed Ang Lee Hulk. When they do advertise the upcoming film, they should be thinking of ways to differentiate it from Ang's flop.

I have come to believe that the overwhelming majority of viewers in the target audiences for summer blockbusters are already so saturated by advertising, and media in general...that early looks and sneak-peeks are really not as effective as we would like to think. In other words, the people who get excited over Superbowl trailers and mark their calendars are the ones who would've gone to see the movies anyway. Most people will stare at it, react one way or another, and then FORGET about it until opening weekend.

I don't believe the film is in trouble. I believe it's on the path that the franchise should have taken from the beginning.

I do believe that the studio is carefully considering the aftertaste left behind from the failed Ang Lee Hulk. When they do advertise the upcoming film, they should be thinking of ways to differentiate it from Ang's flop.

I have come to believe that the overwhelming majority of viewers in the target audiences for summer blockbusters are already so saturated by advertising, and media in general...that early looks and sneak-peeks are really not as effective as we would like to think. In other words, the people who get excited over Superbowl trailers and mark their calendars are the ones who would've gone to see the movies anyway. Most people will stare at it, react one way or another, and then FORGET about it until opening weekend.

I tend to agree with everything you just said. The general audience that makes or breaks a movie...start thinking about the movie a week or two before the movie opens

Die hard fans such as MOST OF US HERE are different. The 2nd we heard this movie was coming off for 2008, we all started to think about it...many...just like me wind uprushing to the hype every day hopeing for more news. Some tiny morsel to keep our hopes...and machinations going

face it...we're freaks. :gray:

It's a bad job on Marvel's part... you don't reboot after five years... they should have went Thor... then C.A in 09... then the Hulk in 2010... Hulk will suffer from the Ang Lee factor.

It's a bad job on Marvel's part... you don't reboot after five years... they should have went Thor... then C.A in 09... then the Hulk in 2010... Hulk will suffer from the Ang Lee factor.

You've got a good point.
Why the heck would they immediately jump to make a Hulk remake, when they've got other fresh properties that they could have established.

Maybe Iron Man will be so stellar that people will have a huge burst of confidence towards Marvel productions and the Hulk will benefit from that.

But the disappointment of Angs Hulk still lingers, as many of you have pointed out, and as I've noticed, whenever I mention the Hulk remake people are less then enthused.
That is directly linked to the previous failure.

Seeing Thor this summer probably would have been much cooler and if done well would do wonders for Marvels popularity.

But I'll still be seeing the Hulk opening day! :woot:

very well said. i think this is one of those situations where both sides have a point.. you both are right and wrong at the same time..you both have good points and you both have bad points but im leaning towards webhead cuz frankly we have gotten absolutly nothing and the stuff that is out of the hulk was leaked.. like the bust and stuff. so technically they havent shown the hulk at all yet. like a good clear pic.. which i find baffling..

LOL, bull**** on all counts. Methodical purpose to the marketing???:whatever:

I'm also really eager to see The Incredible Hulk, but 4-5 months away and no teaser is horrible...absolutely horrible marketing.

Don't try and use Iron Man as an excuse. It's not because they want to just show off Iron Man. If that were the case, I guess their going to show off Hulk in May...only a month before release. Bad news.

As far as the bombarding, there has been no bombarding and won't be. If they were to have shown a teaser in January and then a month or two later shown a full trailer, that wouldn't have been bombarding.

It's the general 'consesus' that needs to be shown what their going to show to get them pumped. Waiting till the last minute is not a good marketing plan, especially in a summer with so many big movies coming out.

We are all so spoiled by places like this that practically tell us everything about a movie before it comes out. Ya know, I remember as a kid, we didn't have the net, so we actually had to wait until the release date to find out if Vader was truly Luke's father. How do you think that felt?......Pretty damn exciting to be honest.

Guy #1: DUDE WASN'T EMPIRE FREAKING AMAZING!?

Guy #2: YEAH I COULDN'T BELIEVE VADER WAS LUKE'S FATHER!

Guy #3 who has not seen the film: Buh-buh-buh WHaaa!!???

Exactly. This summer is going to be crowded with sequels from well established blockbusters, like Indiana Jones, Batman, and another Harry Potter movie just for starters. You have to remember too that marketing isn't just for the public, it's for the theaters as well. If theaters don't think a film is getting much press, their not going to order as many prints and will relegate films like these quickly into smaller venues. That is the business and ultimately the fate of the Hulk if Marvel doesn't get the ball rolling on this project.

Right on the ball good sir!

webhead731 said:
The Dark what?

I know you're trying to prove a point but heh heh...that'll never happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"