"It's Clobberin' Time!" - The Ben "Thing" Grimm Thread - Part 1

Was I the only person reminded of this during this scene?

15rfkwj.jpg

2nbewdz.gif

There is now a thread to post problems with characterization, promotion, the movie itself, tv spots and trailers. Post your problems there.

THE FFINO ZONE!

Last edited:
That story comes from a poster on this board who has a friend who worked on the movie. As the story goes Trank thought he could use OTOY by himself and delayed the film which forced Weta and MPC to come in late in the game.

The story could be true but it's unlikely for several reasons. Weta was attached to the vfx as early as comic-con last year according to IMDB. I'm aware of how wrong they could be but I can't find anything to contradict it. The other being Trank at this point in his career doesn't the pull to. He's the director and he was was hired by the producers who do all the hiring for the film. It's like a shift manager at McDonalds deciding how you cook the burgers.

I like to think of OTOY is to 3d Artist what a faster drying paint is to a painter. From my reading on the octane renderer renders 50x's faster than you would in the traditional method.

Yeah totally understand. We don't have the complete story on this issue and whether if it true or not.

Regarding OTOY, I checked their website a few months ago and it does seem like a powerful tool but I'm inclined to assume the final product can only be good as the user working on it.

Yeah totally understand. We don't have the complete story on this issue and whether if it true or not.

Regarding OTOY, I checked their website a few months ago and it does seem like a powerful tool but I'm inclined to assume the final product can only be good as the user working on it.

As much as technology has advanced sfx and vfx there is a great deal artistry that goes into it. What is putting one vfx over another is not so much what they are using but how they are using it.

Doesn't look like practicing to me. Clearly mirrors what happened in the first Story film where Ben gets upset with Reed for getting distracted by Sue instead of finding a fix.

... has anyone tried the "Thing Burger" at Denny's yet...?

Doesn't look like practicing to me. Clearly mirrors what happened in the first Story film where Ben gets upset with Reed for getting distracted by Sue instead of finding a fix.

its interesting to me how so many of the scenes in this film seem to mirror the Tim Story version

its interesting to me how so many of the scenes in this film seem to mirror the Tim Story version

I have noticed this too and I think its potentially as big a problem as the first hour of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1 was - i.e. rehashing the same material as the previous film rather than doing something new or moving forward. Between retelling their origin, tying Doom into that origin, etc. - it is shaping up to be pretty much the same "Story" all over again...

I have noticed this too and I think its potentially as big a problem as the first hour of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1 was - i.e. rehashing the same material as the previous film rather than doing something new or moving forward. Between retelling their origin, tying Doom into that origin, etc. - it is shaping up to be pretty much the same "Story" all over again...

I agree, but I think it's going to be far worse than ASM:

1. ASM used a different villain.
2. People liked the original Spider-man film more than they liked FF.
3. ASM, on its own, was a decent film.
4. They did three SM films before starting over. With FF, 2 of the 3 films are nearly identical origin films.

Surprised this thread seems dead atm with the film now out.

I have a question for those who have seen it: I have heard Ben doesn't say a single line to Sue, and vice versa. They obviously appear in scenes together, but never say a word to each other.

Is that true?

I think so. Ben isn't a part of the team at all. Reed gets drunk and drags him along for the ride. Up until the final confrontation he essentially never meets her because he's sulking in his room when not blowing up tanks for the military. Essentially the Fantastic Four are Reed, Ben, Johnny and Victor with Sue left out of the experiment and marginalised.

I'm sure I read that there is a deleted scene with just the two of them when Franklin is talking to Reed's parents about going to Baxter.

I read in one review that the military says in the film that Ben has been on a number of missions as the Thing and has killed 40+ people. True?

I read in one review that the military says in the film that Ben has been on a number of missions as the Thing and has killed 40+ people. True?

Yeah, supposed to be 43 confirmed kills :doh:

That bit passed me by, but it's been confirmed by others. Plus from the vids playing in the background it's fairly safe to say Ben killed a bunch of people in the movie.

Yup, our ever loving blue eyed Thing is a covert military thug with 43 kills to his name.

Genius...:loco:

Does Ben ever kill in the comics? Although he's a bruiser, I think he's one of the most non-violent superheroes with a heart of gold.

Is it true that Ben has zero sense of humor?

Ben with no sense of humor and 43 kills and a Reed who abandons his friends seems as unlike the FF as anyone could imagine.

If Josh Trank and Simon Kinberg made a Batman Vs. Superman film, Superman would be a pimp, and Batman would be a pu$$y who just wanted to "talk it out".

Last edited:
Yeah it's true. Not one humorous moment for him or from him. He literally feels like a tacked on character.

What about the fact that Ben gets his iconic "it's clobberin time" catchphrase from his brother, who's an abusive a-hole who says it before beating the crap out of Ben? WTF!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"