"It's Clobberin' Time!" - The Ben "Thing" Grimm Thread - Part 1

Discussion in 'Fantastic Four World' started by Thread Manager, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Joe Rockhead Registered

I think that Trank wanted the 4 to be loners and outsiders.

Reed is misunderstood by his parents.
    Ben is abused youngest brother in a poor household.
    Sue is a Kosovo orphan.
    Johnny is the neglected son of Franklin Storm (maybe not neglected, just not interested in all the science stuff of his father)

The phrase "It's Clobberin' Time" doesn't need an origin, but if they absolutely HAD to establish it before hand it could have by simply changing some of the dialog between Ben and Reed when he helps Reed move in to the Baxter Institute.

Something like:

Ben: Let me know if any of these guys give you a hard time.

Reed: I'm not going to ask you to come clobber them.

There are plenty of different variations on that but it is really that simple.

2. Ragnaroknroll Registered

It's a movie written by juveniles for juveniles while pretending to not be juvenile.

3. CTFFFan Registered

One of the things that bothered me most about the movie beyond the awfulness of it was the Thing killing people. Sorry that is ridiculous.

4. Loki882 Registered

One of my friends had an amusing quip about that. "It's like Weapon X lost control of Wolverine, so they recruited The Thing as a second option."

5. Quasimod0 Bell-Ringer

I actually liked The Thing's design, and didn't mind his voice. If he'd had any sort of personality, he could've been a great version of the character. Instead he was just "there".

6. Joined:
    Mar 6, 2015
    Thing was the best part of the movie for me.

7. Kelly #RESIST

His voice coming out of Thing reminded me of the Beasts voice in Beauty and the Beast (Disney version).

8. Majik1387 Registered

I don't know if that's a positive or negative reference, but I didn't mind Thing's voice actually.

9. AndrewGilkison Registered

It's baffling how they left in that "it's clobbering time" line in scene where Ben is getting the **** kicked out of him by his brother. That was the scene that made me stop watching the first ten minutes of the movie clip I found online. It was so bad I couldn't take it anymore.

I know the editors couldn't do much with this movie but at the very least did they have to tie a comic book character's signature catchphrase to child abuse?

10. The Slang Registered

Ben hardly got the **** kicked out of him. He got smacked upside the head. I didn't think the clobbering line origin was bad, maybe not necessary, but not bad.
    I actually liked this Thing a lot more than the previous one. He seemed way more intimidating and powerful. He looked better. Voice was fine. Could've used pants.

11. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

I liked his voice and Jamie Bell is really cute! Looking forward to see his deleted scenes!

12. The Infernal Mky Mk

The voice wasn't as bad as it was in the promo material (can't believe they let out so much unfinished stuff), but Bell has nothing to work with in this movie. He feels like a near mute before transformation and his sporadic appearences post feel like an afterthought.

13. terry78 My name is Stefan, sweet thang

They didn't know what to do with him.

14. Majik1387 Registered

They didn't know what to do with anyone, other than Reed really, and even then it wasn't much.

15. Wildcard Cataclysmic Titan

Thought Bell was good even though, as stated above, he didn't have much to work with. I do think the "it's clobberin' time" line needs to be done away with...it's beyond tired. The CGI was pretty damn good and in the end, I think I like this design more than the Michael Chiklis version.

16. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

I definitely prefer this design more. The CGI started looking obvious in the forest action sequence and Planet Zero action scene, but I liked that he was quite big and the scene where the CGI didn't look so obvious.

17. Eddie Registered

I was bringing up comparisons between movie Thing and RPG rock monsters and I realized that Golem from Final Fantasy V looks kinda like Thing in this movie:

[​IMG]

Odd body shape, no penis, wait... Golem has four digits per hand and blue eyes...

Golem from Final Fantasy V is a more accurate Ben Grimm than movie Thing! :o

18. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

Reading the "Ben Drop" scene description, that should have been included in the final cut.

I hope they attached it in the Blu-ray features, plus Jamie's scene with Kate Mara at the early part of the film.

#93 psylockolussus, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  19. Matt Mortem Karloff is King

I hated that Grimm pretty much had zero interactions with any of the FF except Reed.

20. Quasar Registered

Well he is "a Thing that nobody wanted".

21. MydnightPhoenix Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

I couldn't stand how they used Ben in this movie, but I did like The Thing. I felt he had 2 emotional scenes that gave him more depth and made me feel sorry for him. I do wish he had more interaction with Johnny and Sue. The Design was also much better than the hideous one in the first Fan4 movies.

22. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Ben was kind of bland and boring before he became the Thing in this movie. They wasted Jamie Bell.

23. Havok83 Registered

Ben was underutilized period. He was quite forgettable as he was barely there

24. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

The thing wasn't just barely there. It was non existent. :o