Pokémon It's the Pokemon thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It bothers me that a Gym Leader would even use the "Raticate" of their region, let alone as their "trump card" Pokemon.

But to answer your question, no. She didn't give me any problems.

Another peeve, but does anyone else feel that Dewott and Oshawott's names should have been switched? Dewott, or rather dew, sounds so tranquil and simple, as the Pokemon's base form would suggest, while Oshawott sounds more complex, fitting for an evolved Pokemon rather than a base Pokemon, and the Osha, or Oshawa(o) sound more Japanese-y, fitting for its 2nd form which is now sporting a Japanese-y look. Also, Bulbapedia believes the name may be derived from an actual samurai, and since the base form doesn't have the samurai look or theme its evolved forms gain, I really think the base form should have had the name Dewott.

I went ahead with Snivy myself (who I renamed ThornViper). I looked everything over one last time, and while I know I won't use Snivy past the elite 4, the others just didn't do it for me. Too many good new water Pokemon to make Oshawott worth it (for me), and Tepig's final form is just too slow and fragile (has nice hp, but defenses are rock bottom) to be worth it (again to me). Plus I saw other fire types I liked as well, like the dual ghost/fire.

Ya for me, this is my least favorite looking set of Pokemon. They just get more unnatural with every game. But I just really want my Starmie.

Ya for me, this is my least favorite looking set of Pokemon. They just get more unnatural with every game. But I just really want my Starmie.

Gen IV remains my least favorite set. I agree that there are some "unnatural"/weird looking ones in this set, I also see a lot of new creative and interesting designs that reminded me of Gen I and II.

Yeah thats what I ended up doing. After I'd destroy the terrier i'd switch so watchog's retaliate wouldn't hurt my Dewott and then busted out the razor shell

The 2nd gen was my least favorite. There were some amazing standouts like Tyranitar, but too many bland Pokemon, and straight up animal rips (Stantler, Noctowl, Sentret, ect., not saying bad Pokes, just bland designs.). I'd put 4 as second, it had a few high notes like Garchomp, Darkrai, Lucario, but also had a lot of low points as well. I'd say gen 3 and 1 are about tied for me. Gen 3 had lots of awesome solid designs. Sharpedo, Metagross, and even the beginning toss aways like Swellow looked great. However Gen 1 was just more consistant, but not necessarily the most creative. Everything looked like it fit together in the same world. Gen 5 I'm still out on.

Also just got my first fighter in White :). Dropped the water monkey for the tadpole. Then took awhile deciding inbetween Throh and Timburr. Went ahead with Timburr due to multiple evolutions (and thinking he looks awesome lol). Question tho, does the GTS still let you do the trade with yourself evolution trick? Like where you put a Machoke on GTS for some impossible trade, then trade some random pokemon for something else, take your Machoke back and he evolves?

Also just got my first fighter in White :). Dropped the water monkey for the tadpole. Then took awhile deciding inbetween Throh and Timburr. Went ahead with Timburr due to multiple evolutions (and thinking he looks awesome lol). Question tho, does the GTS still let you do the trade with yourself evolution trick? Like where you put a Machoke on GTS for some impossible trade, then trade some random pokemon for something else, take your Machoke back and he evolves?

I belive that glitch is Gen IV only.

Gen 2 is my least fave. What the hell is Dunsparce? There were too many gimmick Pokemon, baby Pokemon that served no purpose (Togepi, Wynatt, and Riolu being the pure exceptions, and maybe Pichu for Volt Tackle), and many forgettables that outweight the greats. That gen also had the worst/most boring starters, including my least favorite of all the starters (Chikorita).

I'd order them as such

3rd Gen
5th Gen
1st Gen
4th Gen the least of the best
2nd Gen dead last.

Agreed on the Gen II starters, they were boring. Feraligatr is cool but a poor man's Gyarados. Typhlosion had a terrible movepool. Meganium was just useless. I think all of the grass starters except Bulbasaur kinda suck. In fact, all Grass pokemon except Bulbasaur suck. Maybe Roselia/Roserade is the one exception.

Agreed on the Gen II starters, they were boring. Feraligatr is cool but a poor man's Gyarados. Typhlosion had a terrible movepool. Meganium was just useless. I think all of the grass starters except Bulbasaur kinda suck. In fact, all Grass pokemon except Bulbasaur suck. Maybe Roselia/Roserade is the one exception.

This x1000

I agree, and it's been a painful realization for me lol. Bulbasaur was my first starter, so my grass starter blinders got put on early. I picked grass starters all the way up to Fire Red (God I hated Meganium) where I picked him again, and the blinders fell right off. Even at a higher level than the Elite 4 they all outsped and 1 shot him. Grass types just have too many weaknesses and poorly distributed stats. Either they're too slow to hit anything before they get hit with a super effective attack, or they outspeed they're opponent but lack the power to 1HKO anything before they get with with a super effective attack.

Even now Snivy feels weak. It's just that I know if I had chosen Tepig or Oshawott, I know I wouldn't have tried any of the cool water or fire Pokemon that are new this gen. I mean what would be the point in 2 fires. If I had hated all the fire types, even with his bad speed and defenses, I would have went with Tepig instead. Then again, I also came to the realization that the starters are really just barely above average. I always wanted to keep one in my party, but most of them get outclassed later on anyways.

Of course the plus side to that is guys like Arcanine. Awesome design, awesome stats, but had a horrible move pool. Now he's gotten some move pool love with morning sun and close combat bumping him back to my favorite fire type spot (always was a fan he just lacked moves, hence why I made him my starter in Heart Gold). Being able to look past the starters and be able to box them rather than force myself to keep them in my party was probably the best realization I had in Pokemon lol.

Listen to this while reading. Prepare for nostalgia!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9fqKUZ5cp0

Hey Misty, nice to hear from you again, how long has it been? Two years? Man, time moves differently when you're not travelling from town to town.

I’m glad to hear things are good back in Cerulean, I can't complain much either! The Trainer School is picking up; Teaching kids on how to train Pokemon is truly a dream come true for me!

Mom is fine. She's a tough lady… The Alzheimer's is moving very slowly. Thankfully, she's not that old yet and the medicine seems to keep her mind sharp most of the times, though yesterday she spent all day worried about "her son who went out to become a trainer." Can you believe that? Hah!

Still, Pikachu is not so well... He's getting old now and he doesn't do much these days except for sleeping. I'm really worried about him. His hearing is not getting any better and he seems tired all the time.

I gotta say that he's still got some of that old spark of his though. He shocks Wild Pidgeys away from old Mimey's Vegetable Garden on his strong days; Gary says it's normal for an electric-type Pokemon his age to have sudden "boosts" of energy, even though he says he hasn't got much time left.

Well it's really nice to hear from you... Say, I know you have a lot of obligations as Gym Leader but wouldn't you like to come by next weekend? Brock is coming over to cook a nice meal... It would be good for Pikachu to see the old gang back together like the old days.

I hope you can make it!

Yours truly,
-Ash

Listen to this while reading. Prepare for nostalgia!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9fqKUZ5cp0

Hey Misty, nice to hear from you again, how long has it been? Two years? Man, time moves differently when you're not travelling from town to town.

I’m glad to hear things are good back in Cerulean, I can't complain much either! The Trainer School is picking up; Teaching kids on how to train Pokemon is truly a dream come true for me!

Mom is fine. She's a tough lady… The Alzheimer's is moving very slowly. Thankfully, she's not that old yet and the medicine seems to keep her mind sharp most of the times, though yesterday she spent all day worried about "her son who went out to become a trainer." Can you believe that? Hah!

Still, Pikachu is not so well... He's getting old now and he doesn't do much these days except for sleeping. I'm really worried about him. His hearing is not getting any better and he seems tired all the time.

I gotta say that he's still got some of that old spark of his though. He shocks Wild Pidgeys away from old Mimey's Vegetable Garden on his strong days; Gary says it's normal for an electric-type Pokemon his age to have sudden "boosts" of energy, even though he says he hasn't got much time left.

Well it's really nice to hear from you... Say, I know you have a lot of obligations as Gym Leader but wouldn't you like to come by next weekend? Brock is coming over to cook a nice meal... It would be good for Pikachu to see the old gang back together like the old days.

I hope you can make it!

Yours truly,
-Ash

:waa:

Where's the letter from?

Ok, this is probably something you guys have already mentioned awhile back since it's been forever since gen 4 came out. However I just came across it by accident while looking up definitely if the GTS evo trick would work, and stumbled across this. It still works, -

http://www.marriland.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=159&t=402570&sid=e6dc6d538a11b68ea7cbeeb201a71f68

Edit - After googling more on it it seems like this is everywhere, so chances are you guys already knew about it lol. Just new to me I guess. Still tho, getting 3 event Pokemon I missed was well worth it. I'm not even messing with the free Mew or others since I already have a Mew, and don't want screwed up hacked Pokes. Basically I'm fine with the ones that are cloned from official events that I missed that I have no plans on using in wi-fi battles, I just don't want screwed up lvl 0 Mewtwo's met in Pallet town or something.

Last edited:
I cannot beat Lance on HG and its getting on my ******* NERVES!!!!!

I have this team:

Ampharos LV 43
Bellossom LV 42
Typhlosion LV 45
Ho Oh LV 45
Pidgeot LV 43
Slowking LV 42

Ive taught hail and avalanche to Slowking and Rock Tomb to Typhlosion but I just cant win.

He uses Gyrados 1st which is easy, but then his level 50 Dragonite just wipes me out. Ive managed to beat all 3 dragonites once but by then there is no chance of beating the rest!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Get your Pokemon to at least level 50. I wouldn't use Hail since it's going to damage your Pokemon as well. Consider getting a Lapras and grinding that to to at least level 45. It learns Ice Beam and should be able to at least get 1 Dragonite.

Get your Pokemon to at least level 50. I wouldn't use Hail since it's going to damage your Pokemon as well. Consider getting a Lapras and grinding that to to at least level 45. It learns Ice Beam and should be able to at least get 1 Dragonite.

Agreed, they're a bit underleveld. Also, Ice Beam or Blizzard (preferably Ice Beam) would be a better choice for Slowking than Hail/Avalanche. Ice Beam is a dragon-slayer.

IVE DONE IT!!! With the team I told you about lol!

Major luck though!

Thankgod, now after 3 days I can enjoy the story again lol

Yeah, a good water type helps a lot if it has an ice move. Lance's entire team except for Gyarados is weak to either ice or water (Charizard).

Also, really loving the changes in white and how easy it is to level. You guys have already mentioned it, but the new system is nice. Not to mention I've gotten used to looking for Audino patches. I got a Venipede and wanted to lvl him, so found a spot inbetween grass patches outside of Pinwheel and just ran up and down until I saw a patch and fought Audino's exclusively. Got Venidpede from 13 or 14 to 21 in no time, his first Audino fight gave him 1100 xp, and almost 3 lvls.

I'm torn between Galvantula, Zebstrtika, and Eelektross. The Zebra sucks, but it reminds me of Luxray, who I love, and I'm accustomed to using the Pokes that I like, regardless of "tier status". The spider has Compoundeyes, so its Thunder attack has close to a 93% accuracy, and the eel can use flipping Flamethrower!

Also, more pics.
Unova_Starter_Evolution_poster.jpg

PocketMonstersWhite.jpg

HilbertOshawott.jpg

HilbertBraviary.jpg

Samurott.jpg

Oshawott.jpg

HilbertZoroark.png

n_kyurem.jpg

white_showdown_by_alicexz-d2xgrvw.png

Black_Showdown_by_purplekecleon.png

I chose Galvantula since Bug/Electric is a new and useful typing, only weak to Fire and Rock. I also caught a Litwick today.

It's sad when you replace a Pokemon you used for awhile. Had to do that with Zebstrika and Gigalith. I couldn't have beaten the 4th gym's Emolgas without Gigalith or 3rd gym without Blitzle's Flame Charge :csad:

My next replacement up to be replaced is Conkeldurr when I get Axew or Archen when I get Rufflet, though Archen is a poor man's Aerodactyl due to his crappy Ability (halves his Atk/SP Atk when under 50% health).

Speaking of bugs, this game really gave some bug love. I'm not saying I think any of them outside of one is outstanding or anything, but there's a lot of cool looking bugs, and good dual typings for them this time around. Reason I'm bringing up bugs tho is that I finally looked up that fire bug....I'm in love lol. Takes lvl 59 to get good, but it's stats and sprite are great, and it gets an amazing move at lvl 100. Not that I've ever got a Pokemon to 100, but then again lvlings never been so easy so this will probably be my first Pokemon where I do.

Bugs did get love. Bug/Electric is awesome and a really good typing. They added 2 more Bug/Steel (one an Event legendary). The centipede Bug/Poison always gives me problems unless I use a Flying move. The Fire/Bug is cool, but Rock will demolish it. I think you catch the final form of it and have to breed for it's basic.

Got myself the Victini, I don't mind him pretty powerful. The music while fighting him was epic and I used 13 different pokeballs to catch the stupid thing. Also the music while you fight Team Plasma is freakin awesome

I usually play pokes that I like rather than care about Tier, but this is the first Pokemon game in a while where you need to be selective in who to fight gyms with...as the game is quite a bit harder than I remember the previous games.

Heck, the normal gym gave me some problems and i wasn't expecting that.

So far I love the Zebra, he's not the most powerful but he's cute. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"