Guardians of the Galaxy James gunn fired!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now why Feige hasn't said anything either way in support of Gunn or Disney's decision , I gotta say, is questionable .

Actually, no one has said much of anything. The silence is almost eerie. Gunn issued his final statement and apology and vanished. Several cast members tweeted support, but all were very low-key and without follow-up except for Bautista, and even he chilled fast. And there’s been no behind-the-scenes stories and we’re five days in.

That could suggest any one of several things, but no use guessing here. We’ll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

I guess the ultimate test will come in 2020 or 2021 when the 3rd hits theaters. My angle is gunns writing amd vision isnt exqctly unique seeing as taika just did it with thor ragnarok. Weve had 3 films now with these characters setup in terms of look and comedy and chemistry, is it really crazy to say another director couldnt come and make it work smoothly?

Taika did similar things, but not exactly the same. The biggest differences between them being pacing and use of sound. Taika didn't use music to tell the story the way Gunn did, and I think it will just devolve into a greatest hits album without understanding the selection of the underlying motivation of it. Taika's style is similar in other regards. But even there, I don't think he (or anyone) can replicate it. Gunn's writing and vision is very unique. More than you're giving it credit for. That's why this is such a huge loss.

Like I said, it's a shame Edgar Wright and Marvel had a falling out. Wright incorporated the soundtrack really well with Baby Driver and his humor would have been a close fit.

Like I said, it's a shame Edgar Wright and Marvel had a falling out. Wright incorporated the soundtrack really well with Baby Driver and his humor would have been a close fit.

The marvel edgar had a falling out with was a different marvel at the time though.

I think Feige is going to try to get the Russos to stick around that's my guess. Maybe move it to another date to accommodate A4 getting finished up and not rushed.

Keep gunns script, if it needs a rewrite marcus and mcfeely could take a pass.

This is an interesting take from Hollywood Reporter - but uses the word ***hole. Shareable?

I can't keep up anymore ever since "grab em by the p****" became part of the mainstream discourse.

The hoops people are jumping though in order to justify Roseanne's firing while defending Gunn is both hilarious and ridiculous.

Either they're both right or they're both wrong. You can't have it both ways.

I'm curious where Marvel stands on this. Surely this throws a rock right through their window, especially considering how unexpected it was. They're going to have to majorly re-work Guardians 3, and it could possibly even affect Avengers 4. (And who knows what else they had planned with Gunn...) I wonder if Marvel's ticked at Disney for firing him? I kind of doubt we'll ever know how they really feel...

I honestly hope some other studio takes advantage of this situation and scoops him up as soon as possible. If a studio doesn't care about a person's past and just wants talent, this is a golden opportunity. Let DC hire him for something. Maybe that will teach Disney to hold onto their talent.

DC needs no bad press right now.

DC needs no bad press right now.

I don't know how bad it would be honestly. The more this goes on, the more it's doing the opposite of what Disney expected I think. More people seem to be upset about the way Disney handled it and that's created a bigger PR issue than if they had kept him on.

I don't know how bad it would be honestly. The more this goes on, the more it's doing the opposite of what Disney expected I think. More people seem to be upset about the way Disney handled it and that's created a bigger PR issue than if they had kept him on.

Yep. If Disney hadn't fired him, it would probably have blown over by now.

I really don't think it's much of a PR issue regardless of which path they go down. If they do nothing there will be a tweetstorm of unhappy people, if they rehire him there will be a tweetstorm of unhappy people.

In reality the average person doesn't care and probably isn't even paying attention to this story, which will be yesterday's news not long from now.

A year from now no one on either side of the aisle is going to have nearly the same passion for this story and everyone will have moved on.

It's gotten bigger as my 71 year old dad knows about it.

It's gotten bigger as my 71 year old dad knows about it.

Yea but I doubt he knew what movie he was directing and by the time GOTG3 came out I doubt he would remember. Think about all the news stories you’ve read or heard about casually over the last few years, do you remember them all?

To a non-fan, this isn’t breaking news.

The hoops people are jumping though in order to justify Roseanne's firing while defending Gunn is both hilarious and ridiculous.

Either they're both right or they're both wrong. You can't have it both ways.

Try this hoop on for size. The differences are capitalized for clarity:

Roseanne had a history of racist tweets.
James had an history of sexually repugnant tweets.

ABC took a chance on Ms. Barr.
Marvel Studios took a chance on Mr. Gunn.

Roseanne COULDN'T KEEP HER SH** TOGETHER.
Gunn HAS KEPT HIS SH** TOGETHER.

Roseanne LOST THE SUPPORT OF HER CAST (EMMA KENNEY) AND CREW (WANDA SYKES)
James KEPT THE SUPPORT OF HIS CAST (BAUTISTA, SALDANA, ROOKER, ETC)

Yeap, the only similarity is that the “they both said stupid offensive things on Twitter”.

After that, like you said, one stopped, and the other didn’t.

Yea but I doubt he knew what movie he was directing and by the time GOTG3 came out I doubt he would remember. Think about all the news stories you’ve read or heard about casually over the last few years, do you remember them all?

To a non-fan, this isn’t breaking news.

It's certainly not breaking news. Especially compared to the insanity that our current head of state throws the headlines into weekly.

However, had Disney just let the resurfaced tweets blow over I doubt there would be a petition with 300 thousand signatures and have multiple entertainment outlets like Collider and such still commenting on it days afterwards.

In the long run will it hurt them much? No, it won't. But they created a bigger fire than the one they were trying to put out, if that's the actual reasoning behind firing him at all.

Internet petitions are garbage anyway. Save Wolverine and the X-Men had an online petition that went into the six-figure range. It didn't make a difference.

Those same 300,000 people aren't going to boycott the MCU or Avengers 4 as a result.

So what if Collider reported on it? Collider reports on all sorts of dumb internet petitions that don't do jack slack.

http://collider.com/rotten-tomatoes-dc-movies-petition/

Did this really require a story? An internet petition isn't even ****ing capable of shutting down Rotten Tomatoes. FFS.

Try this hoop on for size. The differences are capitalized for clarity:

Roseanne had a history of racist tweets.
James had an history of sexually repugnant tweets.

ABC took a chance on Ms. Barr.
Marvel Studios took a chance on Mr. Gunn.

Roseanne COULDN'T KEEP HER SH** TOGETHER.
Gunn HAS KEPT HIS SH** TOGETHER.

Roseanne LOST THE SUPPORT OF HER CAST (EMMA KENNEY) AND CREW (WANDA SYKES)
James KEPT THE SUPPORT OF HIS CAST (BAUTISTA, SALDANA, ROOKER, ETC)

For the record I don't think Gunn is a secret pedophile and I don't think he has anything to feel sorry for in this case other than being a 3rd rate comedian.

However you keep insisting that people change and that we should be more forgiving, but why wasn't this same courtesy extended to Roseanne? Why did she have to be immediately fired? Why was there absolutely no room for discussion? Why couldn't ABC reach out to her first and give her a chance to explain herself before carrying out such a harsh punishment?

Roseanne insists she didn't know that Valerie Jarret was black. I don't know if that's true or not, but I do know that if I hadn't known better I might have assumed the same myself. What if there really was no racial bigotry behind it? We'll never know because she'd already been sentenced in the court of public opinion.

I don't remember many people from the left crusading in the name of free speech when it came to Roseanne. I don't remember anyone saying "hey people make mistakes"... or "hey let's give everyone a chance to grow". I don't even think they were interested in an explanation OR an apology. I just remember a vicious and angry mob. Roseanne wasn't fired because of a tweet, she was fired because she committed the unholy crime of being a suspected racist.

Now unfortunately for you, and all of us, the right wing idiots have now taken the fight directly to the left wing idiots by using their own hysteria against them. If we are to live in a world where everyone presumes things about one other based on tweets regardless of context, then by that logic James Gunn is a very sick man and should be nowhere near a Disney film. It doesn't matter how many years it's been, they would have been wrong to hire him in the first place.

Mind you I don't believe Gunn has changed all that much as a person anyways. Here he is several years later still being a 'provocateur' on Twitter, only now instead of engaging in trendy pedophile jokes for attention he's engaging in trendy self aggrandizing political rhetoric for attention. Ironically he was on the front lines crusading against Roseanne so karma caught up with him.

Last edited:
This is super simple. Roseanne wasn't granted the benefit of the doubt because she slipped into her old disgraceful patterns of behavior. Gunn received the benefit of the doubt because he didn't. For example, if Gunn made a pedo "joke" after the GOTG2 premiere Horn would have had cause to fire his a**.

Roseanne lost the support of a high profile producer and at least one key cast member who tendered their resignations. That didn't happen to Gunn. For example, if either Saldana or Pratt said they were uncomfortable bringing their kids on set with James around, Horn would have cause for immediate termination.

And it's a good thing that we are now aware of the cybernazis fighting to keep Putin's Boy in the office he isn't remotely qualified to hold. The problem is that liberals, moderates and conservatives are more than willing to resign and fire their own due to breaches in morality. They can never win against the alt right deplorables who have none.

The way to fight against Cernovich and his ilk is to take away their power and reinstate Gunn.

so Gunn can make hundreds of pedophilia jokes including promoting a video called 00 Pubescent Girls Touch Themselves and also constantly go on rants and insults against people against him politically on Twitter everyday yet this makes him some innocent victim and model employee. Got it

so Gunn can make hundreds of pedophilia jokes including promoting a video called 00 Pubescent Girls Touch Themselves and also constantly go on rants and insults against people against him politically on Twitter everyday yet this makes him some innocent victim and model employee. Got it
Well that's a lie, isn't it?

The difference is the Rosanne tweet she was fired for wasn't like 8 years old. She had made that only days before she was fired. If Gunn had done these tweets last week, we wouldn't be defending him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"