Guardians of the Galaxy James gunn fired!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just can't bring myself to read through 32 pages of back and forth, so I'm just going to start fresh. I disagree with Disney's decision to axe Gunn, but see it as at least being consistent.

For those who think it was wrong for Disney to fire him, did you also disagree with Disney firing Rosanne Barr? I personally take the approach of let market forces play out. If people don't like what Gunn, Barr, <insert celebrity here> say outside of the workplace, they can tune out.

Just can't bring myself to read through 32 pages of back and forth, so I'm just going to start fresh. I disagree with Disney's decision to axe Gunn, but see it as at least being consistent.

For those who think it was wrong for Disney to fire him, did you also disagree with Disney firing Rosanne Barr? I personally take the approach of let market forces play out. If people don't like what Gunn, Barr, <insert celebrity here> say outside of the workplace, they can tune out.

There's not really a comparison here. First off Gunn apologized six years ago for his stuff and you can see that he's clearly grown and evolved as a person and an artist. Roseanne racist tweet was just an extension of the garbage fire person she has always been.

I saw someone online tweet something that resonated with me. They said essentially that a pedophilia joke isn't pedophilia, but a racist joke is racism. I agree with that.

There's not really a comparison here. First off Gunn apologized six years ago for his stuff and you can see that he's clearly grown and evolved as a person and an artist. Roseanne racist tweet was just an extension of the garbage fire person she has always been.

I saw someone online tweet something that resonated with me. They said essentially that a pedophilia joke isn't pedophilia, but a racist joke is racism. I agree with that.

When did he apologize?

I don't disagree with Disney firing him, but I do disagree with them hiring him without doing their homework. I'm not against anything he's done for the franchise as he's obviously been brilliant, but why hire the guy if you know he's done something you'd fire him for? It just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe Disney didn't do their homework before, I don't know...

I don't disagree with Disney firing him, but I do disagree with them hiring him without doing their homework. I'm not against anything he's done for the franchise as he's obviously been brilliant, but why hire the guy if you know he's done something you'd fire him for? It just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe Disney didn't do their homework before, I don't know...

Yeah.

To me , that argument that Disney shouldn't have been off the ball and should have known about his tweets before, is a much stronger argument against Disney than the ones thrown out by fans now.

Sounds like they're trying to justify making pedophilia jokes...

I mean, I watch Family Guy and Rick and Morty, and they joke about pedophilia pretty commonly. I know they're gags and don't think MacFarlane or Harmon are pedos. But I know if you can't put a face to it you don't think about it.

Lots of comedians - pretty much all the comedians - wouldn't have been allowed to work for the Mouse under Horn's Extreme Morality policy. Eddie Murphy's Raw was chock full of homophobic humor. No Mu-Shu for you, Ed!

It has to be funny to be convincing as a joke and comedians have the benefit of already putting it in the context of a joke.

George Carlin explained it well. How you tell the joke matters too or else it's not really a joke.

Joke or not , Disney and Marvel do not want their names and the term pedophilia in the same sentence, regardless of the context.

Disney , like or not, is a brand that has marketed to families and children for decades, and they don't want to be anywhere near jokes or otherwise dealing with that subject.

Mel Brooks, Seth McFarlane, and other comedians don't work for them, but Gunn did so he got canned.

Disney can be cut throat and ruthless, and If anything, i'm more surprised that fanboys thought Disney would somehow just ride this thing out and keep him on.

This is Hollywood, and actors, directors, producers, writers, get canned and have gotten canned since the silent movie era over statements made, actions they've taken, personal behavior, and even politics.

Its not a haven for free speech. If you have the potential in effecting their business , you're gone.

Now eventually you can be forgiven, but if you're considered a liability at the moment, they won't hesitate drum you out.

Its not a haven for free speech. If you have the potential in effecting their business , you're gone.

That's a good bottom line. It's less about SJWs or social media. It's mainly about business PR and the company's own integrity.

Freedom of speech does not extend to the workplace. Even James Gunn has basically pointed this out. Freedom of speech essentially protects you from the government for speaking your mind. Private employers are a different matter altogether.

Lots and lots of comedians that have made extremely offensive jokes - including Whoopi Goldberg, Tim Allen, Eddie Murphy, Robin Williams, Sarah Silverman and Hannibal Burress - have either worked for the Mouse or are currently in their employ. And Seth McFarlane will be joining them shortly. Saying Disney HAD to cut Gunn loose to maintain a pristine image that doesn't exist is silly.

Lots and lots of comedians that have made extremely offensive jokes - including Whoopi Goldberg, Tim Allen, Eddie Murphy, Robin Williams, Sarah Silverman and Hannibal Burress - have either worked for the Mouse or are currently in their employ. And Seth McFarlane will be joining them shortly. Saying Disney HAD to cut Gunn loose to maintain a pristine image that doesn't exist is silly.
He's not even a comedian. I don't even think he called himself a comedian. He said he was a provocateur. And of course, was doing all this on his personal twitter.

He's not even a comedian. I don't even think he called himself a comedian. He said he was a provocateur. And of course, was doing all this on his personal twitter.

So we can forgive performers who deliver offensive material in a major motion picture or prime time TV show. But taboo jokes presented in an obscure indie director's twitter feed is beyond the pale?

None of them have been revealed, as of late, to have made jokes about pedophilia and as for McFarlane , well see what Disney does in the wake of the Gunn situation.

Thinking that Disney would keep someone who made those type of jokes is silly .

So we can forgive performers who deliver offensive material in a major motion picture or prime time TV show. But taboo jokes presented in an obscure indie director's twitter feed is beyond the pale?

Again, it depends on the joke and it depends on the company. Disney may act one way and WB may act another. A tv series may decide to do one thing and a film company may decide to do something else.

No its not fair, but its not about being fair. This is about what they feel is best for their own bottom line.

Like it or not, Disney will always put themselves and what they feel is their interests first.

None of them have been revealed, as of late, to have made jokes about pedophilia and as for McFarlane , well see what Disney does in the wake of the Gunn situation.

Thinking that Disney would keep someone who made those type of jokes is silly .

Admittedly, Robin Williams hasn't made a lot of jokes lately. But both he and Whoopi were featured (along with 100 other comedians) in a movie about an incest joke. The others have made jokes about the Holocaust, rape and homosexuality. And in Ms. Silverman's case (Ralph Breaks the Internet!), child molestation.

Disney was beyond stupid to kowtow to a cybernazi who won't be satisfied with just one head. And if they are going to hold all their talent to these new standards they are going to really struggle attracting talent to Dis-Fox.

Last edited:
Admittedly, Robin Williams hasn't made a lot of jokes lately. But both he and Whoopi were featured (along with 100 other comedians) in a movie about an incest joke. The others have made jokes about the Holocaust, rape and homosexuality. And in Ms. Silverman's case (Ralph Breaks the Internet!), incest.

Disney was beyond stupid to kowtow to a cybernazi who won't be satisfied with just one head. And if they are going to hold their talent to these new standards they are going to really struggle attracting talent to Dis-Fox.

Like it or not , pedophilia jokes is something Disney won't tolerate. And yeah, I'm pretty sure Disney will cut loose talent they feel will threaten they're bottom line.

You can complain or disagree with it all you want, but they'll always put themselves first over fans who complain.

https://m.sfgate.com/entertainment/...s-mic-cut-Loyola-Chicago-priests-12762622.php

Silverman also had a molestation joke on Twitter that resurfaced recently.

And she may get in trouble as well given what happened to Gunn, but then again as I said in another post, it depends on the company or studio she works with and for. She may get a pass while Gunn doesn't.

No , that probably not fair , but show business isn't about what's fair, what's consistent or honest.

It never has been. A lot of Fanboys have been enchanted by Disney and have been under some impression that they some benevolent organization because they bought Marvel and SW and churned out good product.

Now they're beginning to see how cutthroat they can be when it comes to getting the result they want. They didn't get to the top of the hill by playing nice.

Last edited:
Here's his apology:

Nothing about the tweets from his apology in November 2012. This was after he got hired by Marvel/Disney.
I guess I was mistaken, or there was another apology that referenced his general "humour" in the past.

As Gunn himself has pointed out, Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Consequence. It does not extend to the workplace. It applies to the government not infringing upon his right to free speech...and that didn't happen.

I 100% agree. I was not arguing whether or not Disney HAD the right to fire him, I was arguing if they WERE right to do so.
The freedom of speech reference was in response to the suggestion that Gunn not being a stand up comic seemed to be relevant to the context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"