Sequels Jamie Foxx to (supposedly) play Electro in Spider-Man 2

In no ****ing way did they chose Jamie because they wanted some "mixture". That's just ridiculous.

Electro is in no way bound to be white. He's one of those characters where it doesn't really matter at all if he's portrayed white or black.

They definitely went with the actor they found best for the role. I can totally see Jamie as a great Electro and I'm sure Webb & Co sees that even more. To say anything else is just stupid.

What criteria does a character have to meet to determine whether his/her race in the comics shouldn't be adhered to for film?

I think Jaime was cast to add diversity to the franchise. Same with Heimdall, Kingpin, and Fury.

In no ****ing way did they chose Jamie because they wanted some "mixture". That's just ridiculous.

Electro is in no way bound to be white. He's one of those characters where it doesn't really matter at all if he's portrayed white or black.

They definitely went with the actor they found best for the role. I can totally see Jamie as a great Electro and I'm sure Webb & Co sees that even more. To say anything else is just stupid.

:up:
What criteria does a character have to meet to determine whether his/her race in the comics shouldn't be adhered to for film?

I think Jaime was cast to add diversity to the franchise. Same with Heimdall, Kingpin, and Fury.
I think Nick Fury was black because they just wanted Samuel Jackson to play him (as he is just simply awesome btw). I imagine they wanted diversity for Heimdall, since Thor is supposed to be based on Norse mythology (which is Germanic).

Kingpin doesn't really matter. He just has to be big and powerful. Michael Clarke Duncan is very talented, and was absolutely perfect for that role. I'm so sad he had to pass away. It would have been great to see him as Kingpin again.

Electro's race is not important either. He is an electrician that wants revenge (to simplify it). So all you need is a talented actor who can play the part, no matter what the race is.

Ok, but who makes these rules? I'm sure I could find a hardcore Kingpin fan who's grown up with the white version and was not too happy to see MCD playing the role. And if race is suddenly unimportant for some characters, will we get to point where changing their gender is no big deal either.

The creators came up with these characters. If movie directors want to use a certain actor, then why not come up with their own new character and they can run wild with thatt.

I'm totally cool with Jamie Foxx playing Electro, he should be fine in the role. Though it's funny, I remember going back the best part of a decade now, my longstanding top choice to play Electro was Jamie Foxx's Django Unchained co-star, Walt Goggins. I didn't think it was ever likely to happen, as back then Goggins' biggest role was on The Shield and I didn't know if he'd ever be more than a TV actor. Fast-forward to now, however, and Django is reportedly poised to be a breakthrough role for him. Given another year or so he could have been well placed to actually be a credible choice for a Spider-Man movie villain.

Jaime Foxx as Electro is a bizarre choice but he's a talented guy, and Webb knows what he's doing. "Amazing" was great, so I'm sure his sequel will be as well. It's the Harry Osborn casting that blows my mind though (in a good way).

Ok, but who makes these rules? I'm sure I could find a hardcore Kingpin fan who's grown up with the white version and was not too happy to see MCD playing the role. And if race is suddenly unimportant for some characters, will we get to point where changing their gender is no big deal either.

The creators came up with these characters. If movie directors want to use a certain actor, then why not come up with their own new character and they can run wild with thatt.

Nobody really makes these rules. I don't think changing race is the same as changing gender. If people were unhappy with MCD as Kingpin, their problem. Its not that race is entirely unimportant, it really depends on the role. Creating a new character for a movie just to use a certain actor is worse than changing the race of one.

I just have to keep reminding myself that these movies are in their own universe so they don't have to stick to any of the source material if they don't want to.

I just have to keep reminding myself that these movies are in their own universe so they don't have to stick to any of the source material if they don't want to.
Changing the race isn't such a big deal IMO.

Marvel Studios based their Fury on the Ultimate version, who is meant to look like Samuel L. Jackson. So that choice was a no brainer.

About Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin. Let's be honest here. Do you really know a better choice? Someone who is that big, around that age who also can act? He sure was the best one they could find.

Heimdall is a not as obvious one as the other two. But don't you think he's perfect for the role? I am 100% sure that they went through some auditions and options and ended up finding him to be the best one. Therefore they, of course, picked him. Do you know any other actor who'd give the same great presence, voice and look to the character?

Remember that many of these comic book characters were created a long time ago. It's different times now. Racism still exist to a high degree unfortunately, but different medias have come a long way since back then. Don't you find it a bit strange that Spider-Man has almost no black "big" character (with big, I don't mean in body size but in how big of a presence they have). Sure, there's Robbie and his son, Prowler...but that's pretty much it as far as I can remember.

It's the same as how many of Spidey's villains are from Russia. They're products of the times. Had those same characters been created today instead, they sure as hell wouldn't be from Russia.

While Electro being black in the film makes him not look much like his comic book counterpart (which I can see why some wouldn't like if they want their favourite villain from the pages come to life on the big screen. But then, would you really want that mask? Because that would have to be kept as well with that logic), it really doesn't affect more than that. Watch some films with Foxx and tell me you can't see him play the role greatly.

It's sad that a great actor can't play characters that aren't even that big in the comics, because he's not white like every other comic book character.

There's one thing to change the skin colour of a very important and major character such as Norman Osborn, Doc Ock, Venom, Connors, Mary Jane, Gwen, JJJ etc. or other characters that has a clear reason for their race such as Kraven and maybe Chameleon. But I really can't see why it would be such a big deal to make Electro black.

Seriously, Mysterio is one of my favourite villains in comic books but I don't think I'd have any problem at all if they'd make him black. Not even Shocker as well.

Marvel Studios based their Fury on the Ultimate version, who is meant to look like Samuel L. Jackson. So that choice was a no brainer.

I'm very familiar with Ultimate Fury and his resemblance to Sam Jackson. I still think his inclusion into the movie-verse was for racial diversity. Deodato draws Norman Osborn identical to Tommy Lee Jones and Land's Tony Stark is pretty much Sawyer from Lost. I'm not expecting those 2 actors to show up as those roles.

About Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin. Let's be honest here. Do you really know a better choice? Someone who is that big, around that age who also can act? He sure was the best one they could find.

Why is Hollywood so opposed to casting unknowns as comic book characters? I'm sure there's a tall, strong, fat, white dude who could have pulled off the role. Affleck, Farrell, and Garner, were more than enough star power for that movie...which ended up being garbage anyway.

Heimdall is a not as obvious one as the other two. But don't you think he's perfect for the role? I am 100% sure that they went through some auditions and options and ended up finding him to be the best one. Therefore they, of course, picked him. Do you know any other actor who'd give the same great presence, voice and look to the character?

Perhaps I haven't read enough Thor comics, b/c I don't think Heimdall has a strong enough personality to warrant such casting deliberation. He sits at the edge of the Bifrost bridge, has visions, and wields a badass sword. Elba did a fantastic job, but he looked so out of place on Asgard to me. As somebody who's often the token black guy at gatherings, I can relate :D

Remember that many of these comic book characters were created a long time ago. It's different times now. Racism still exist to a high degree unfortunately, but different medias have come a long way since back then. Don't you find it a bit strange that Spider-Man has almost no black "big" character (with big, I don't mean in body size but in how big of a presence they have). Sure, there's Robbie and his son, Prowler...but that's pretty much it as far as I can remember.

It's the same as how many of Spidey's villains are from Russia. They're products of the times. Had those same characters been created today instead, they sure as hell wouldn't be from Russia.

I totally agree. But rather than go racebending to shoehorn in some minorities into the movies, the movie and comic people should get together and create new villains and heroes of their desired race. It's not like a novel where you have to use your imagination to bring the character to life. Artists have been showing us pictures of these characters as a specific race for 20+ years.

While Electro being black in the film makes him not look much like his comic book counterpart (which I can see why some wouldn't like if they want their favourite villain from the pages come to life on the big screen. But then, would you really want that mask? Because that would have to be kept as well with that logic), it really doesn't affect more than that. Watch some films with Foxx and tell me you can't see him play the role greatly.

It's sad that a great actor can't play characters that aren't even that big in the comics, because he's not white like every other comic book character.

I'm a big fan of Foxx's acting work and I'm sure this movie will be awesome; it's only 1 movie in and I prefer it to Toby's trilogy. But heck yes, I'd have wanted that ridiculous mask IF this were an adaptation of the 616 universe. But like I have to keep reminding myself, these movies are some other universe where directors can do whatever they want, like the Catwoman movie.

There's one thing to change the skin colour of a very important and major character such as Norman Osborn, Doc Ock, Venom, Connors, Mary Jane, Gwen, JJJ etc. or other characters that has a clear reason for their race such as Kraven and maybe Chameleon. But I really can't see why it would be such a big deal to make Electro black.

Seriously, Mysterio is one of my favourite villains in comic books but I don't think I'd have any problem at all if they'd make him black. Not even Shocker as well.

This is where I'm confused. Who do you poll to find out which characters are major or minor and can have their races changed w/o causing too much disruption? They made Alicia Masters black in the F4 movies and nobody flinched, why is Mary Jane safe. Then again, they did cast Alba as Sue Storm.

IMO, what makes a character set as the way they were created is how big of importance they are in that world, how classic they are, as well as those characters who clearly should stay with the same ethnicity (Kraven).

Why? Because those characters are so important to the majority of the readers (at least I think) that even a change of race would feel upsetting. Norman Osborn COULD be a black man because his race has nothing to do with his character (as far as I know), but he's such a classic and important character that it would just be wrong. Same goes for Doc Ock. This is, of course, my opinion so I can't speak for everybody.

Electro, while a classic villain, doesn't have that same status at all. Neither do Mysterio, Shocker, Scorpion, etc.

I agree with you that creating new characters is better than changing existing ones, but in a film we want the well known villains. And if Jamie Foxx is the best actor for the role, he should have it.

About Heimdall, I thought he fit perfectly in that world. I didn't even think about him being the only black man. There were some asians too so it wasn't only caucasians + one black man. Think of Asgard as a world like ours where people look different. He really striked me as an awesome Viking god with his whole presence so it never felt weird to me.

I can't believe there is an argument over race. Let's move on from this.

I think Jamie Foxx will be great as Electro, and give it all he's got.

Were we arguing? His race will be an issue until the movie comes out, so I'd get used to it or prepared to be annoyed for the next year.

What if they casted that little person from Game of Thrones to play Doc Ock.

I'm very familiar with Ultimate Fury and his resemblance to Sam Jackson. I still think his inclusion into the movie-verse was for racial diversity. Deodato draws Norman Osborn identical to Tommy Lee Jones and Land's Tony Stark is pretty much Sawyer from Lost. I'm not expecting those 2 actors to show up as those roles.

Why is Hollywood so opposed to casting unknowns as comic book characters? I'm sure there's a tall, strong, fat, white dude who could have pulled off the role. Affleck, Farrell, and Garner, were more than enough star power for that movie...which ended up being garbage anyway.

Perhaps I haven't read enough Thor comics, b/c I don't think Heimdall has a strong enough personality to warrant such casting deliberation. He sits at the edge of the Bifrost bridge, has visions, and wields a badass sword. Elba did a fantastic job, but he looked so out of place on Asgard to me. As somebody who's often the token black guy at gatherings, I can relate :D

I totally agree. But rather than go racebending to shoehorn in some minorities into the movies, the movie and comic people should get together and create new villains and heroes of their desired race. It's not like a novel where you have to use your imagination to bring the character to life. Artists have been showing us pictures of these characters as a specific race for 20+ years.

I'm a big fan of Foxx's acting work and I'm sure this movie will be awesome; it's only 1 movie in and I prefer it to Toby's trilogy. But heck yes, I'd have wanted that ridiculous mask IF this were an adaptation of the 616 universe. But like I have to keep reminding myself, these movies are some other universe where directors can do whatever they want, like the Catwoman movie.

This is where I'm confused. Who do you poll to find out which characters are major or minor and can have their races changed w/o causing too much disruption? They made Alicia Masters black in the F4 movies and nobody flinched, why is Mary Jane safe. Then again, they did cast Alba as Sue Storm.

Yeah, except they actually based Ultimate Nick Fury on Sam Jackson. I'm pretty sure they had to ask him to use his likeness too.

Yeah, except they actually based Ultimate Nick Fury on Sam Jackson. I'm pretty sure they had to ask him to use his likeness too.
They did ask him, and him looking like the actor is intentional.

Peter Dinklage can be Batman if he wants, as far as I'm concerned. :)

I can't believe there is an argument over race. Let's move on from this.

I think Jamie Foxx will be great as Electro, and give it all he's got.

this!

So tired of comic book fans belly aching cause hollywood changed the race of a character...stop! If the actor or actress does a superb job in the role, then why should it matter.

Some comic book fans seems to have a sense of entitlement with these characters and movies....geez:doh:

^
Would people be mad if we had a white Blade in the reboot?

hollywood has casted "white" actors in roles that should of been for minorities for years....are you serious with this question?

I mean wasn't the last Dragon ball Z (or the only movie) lead went to a white actor?

this!

So tired of comic book fans belly aching cause hollywood changed the race of a character...stop! If the actor or actress does a superb job in the role, then why should it matter.

Some comic book fans seems to have a sense of entitlement with these characters and movies....geez:doh:

I've already said why it matters to me. I'm not trying to get anybody to boycott the franchise or anything. As tired as you are of fans belly aching, I'm tired of the race-changing. I'm still going to see the movie and will probably love it like I did the first.

I just don't see how hard it is to find somebody who looks the part and can act, there are 6 billion people in the world. I feel the same way about recycling actors for comic book roles like Chris Evans and Ryan Reynolds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"