Ghostbusters: Afterlife

just paired up the male and female equivalents and called it a day?

It is gratifying that Wonder Woman's box office success deprives the apologists for this movie of the "people were too sexist to see it" narrative.
Not sure how many of those there actually were. I think there were more "I don't want to see Ghostbusters rebooted" than "ew, women" haters.
There weren't that many "woman haters". But that was the excuse the studio, producers, director, and actors were trying to push as the reason the movie failed to make money.

Wheels said:
I would try a 3D animated film the next go round. That's the best way to bring back the classic characters and get around the obvious issues. I'm not seeing any type of sequel without Venkman and Egon;; it just ain't happening. That's why I was cool with a reboot in the first place.
Hopefully there won't be a "next go around". And Hollywood or Sony just leaves the franchise alone for good.

Put this franchise in the trap, dump it into the echo containment center, and hope no one ever again shuts the power off.

Hopefully there won't be a "next go around". And Hollywood or Sony just leaves the franchise alone for good.

That's not happening so I'm just going to keep putting ideas out there that I find preferable to others.

Yeah, there's a cartoon to look forward to :up:

I really liked the "Ghostbusters, Inc." concept where Ghostbusters is now a worldwide franchise corporation where the original GBs were pushed out years ago (bringing the business aspect from the original into the new storyline). It creates a GB movie-verse where possible sequels centered around various franchises could happen.

There weren't that many "woman haters". But that was the excuse the studio, producers, director, and actors were trying to push as the reason the movie failed to make money.

Really I think the whole situation was a commentary on how limited mainstream comedy films have become. Pretty much everything ends up as very broad physical/grossout/embarrisment comedy these days, not that this doesn't produce the odd decent film but something like like original Ghostbusters with its mix of some broader lements with smart sarcastic character comedy and lovecraftian horror is just so much beyond the ambition of Hollywood these days, the same with something like Groundhog Day which Hollywood has tried to remake on the sly several times without getting close to the originals ambition.

I suspect actually that whilst you may have gotten a few knuckle draggers who refused to see it fior sexist reasons the whole fuss probably helped the film overall and stopped it from being a real bomb.

They needed good marketing...and a good looking movie. They had neither.

The movie had horrid trailers.

The bottom line, I think, is that the world didn't want or need a reboot of 'Ghostbusters'. It would have been a lot better if they'd tried to come up with their own paranormal-investigator comedy, a la Ghost Hunters or Ghost Adventures. It didn't have to be 'Ghostbusters'.

Again I just think they made a big mistake thinking they could plug Ghostbusters into Feig's standard comedy formula. Look at something like the jail scene in the original...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gxCT-U7A_A

That's not even close to his simpler style, you've got a very serious plot being pushed with a lot of dry comedic interjections. Even when you have something like Mr Staypuft show up in works because its so at odds with the otherwise relatively straight setting.

They would have been much better off treating it more along the lines of Marvel blockbusters, maybe add a drier wit but start from the base of a serious film.

Again I just think they made a big mistake thinking they could plug Ghostbusters into Feig's standard comedy formula. Look at something like the jail scene in the original...
That's what I was saying from the beginning. Feig was such a terrible choice for Ghostbusters. The second he was announced, I knew we would get an all female cast, and I could already see the type of humor that he would implement, which is exactly what it turned out to be.

Just a **** show on Sony's part.

So y'all still in your feelings about this, huh?

Is this going to be your shtick in this thread? Coming in and telling everyone how you want this thread to die every couple of days?

That's what I was saying from the beginning. Feig was such a terrible choice for Ghostbusters. The second he was announced, I knew we would get an all female cast, and I could already see the type of humor that he would implement, which is exactly what it turned out to be.

Just a **** show on Sony's part.

Again though I do tend to think its not just Sony but the industry as a whole seems to have ghettoised comedy into this very narrow style of cinema, either the cartoonish embarrassment/slapstick style or romcoms or a mix of both.

First person I would have been on the phone to would have been Shane Black, something like the Nice Guys is a hell of a lot closer to Ghostbusters and I don't think its a coincidence that its coming from the crime thriller that does comedy end rather than comedy that does crime thriller.

The Playlist June 9, 2017:
Ivan Reitman Wants ‘Ghostbusters’ Franchise To Go Worldwide, Teams To Unite
Kevin Jagernauth said:
With Dan Aykroyd dropping his truth about last year’s “Ghostbusters” reboot, now it’s time for franchise co-founder Ivan Reitman to weigh in. Unlike his partner in all things comically supernatural, Reitman isn’t here to kick Paul Feig‘s movie, but is instead looking to the future. And because we live in a world where #branding is key for almost every major cinematic property, the idea being tossed around is to take “Ghostbusters” global.

In an interview with Super News Live, Reitman shared his vision for the franchise, and it’s not bad one, as he sees “Ghostbusters” teams in all corners of the globe, fighting spectres that are unique to their setting.

“What we’ve been doing a lot of is thinking about the franchise rights for ‘Ghostbusters.’ Because ‘Ghostbusters,’ that idea doesn’t have to just take place in New York, it can happen over the world. I think it would be really cool to see Korean ghosts or Chinese ghosts. All those great traditions in the world have all these tales and things those people are afraid of. To have a sort of local group of Ghostbusters that tie with the head office in New York would be fun,” he said.

Again, that’s an interesting concept both creatively and financially (global box office receipts are more important than ever), so it’ll be curious to see how that develops. As for the proton pack heroes of the current films, Reitman wants to see them actually come together (as you’ll recall, the original cast of “Ghostbusters” cameoed in the reboot, but as different characters).

“We’re doing a lot of work about where do we go next with ‘Ghostbusters.’ I think one thing that fans have clearly wanted, and so did I, that somehow we tie the worlds together. I think it was a little awkward that it wasn’t connected, and we certainly heard a lot from everybody out there. So I would definitely want to connect to all of that,” Reitman shared.

Check out the full interview. [via Super News Live]

Connecting them through a passing of the torch is obviously what should have happened. But even then Feig was just the wrong Director.

At this point I'd say wait and get a good script that can match the tone, horror, atmosphere and comedy style of the original while applying a modern/fresh/serious take. Then just recast Venkman and crew while brining in characters like Kylie.

This film killed pretty much everything in terms of some contrived Ghostbuster crossover.

I am still surprised that there is talk about this film here on the boards.

I think it's a consequence of the those involved in the first movie still pushing for a second, despite the manifest indifference if not opposition from the public.

Didn't Feig specifically say that the old version didn't exist in his version? I don't see how the two universes can come together if Bill Murray's Venkman and the others never existed in his universe.

I think about the only thing Reitman can do is do a new movie that continues the 1984 version and just pretend the new one didn't happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"