Jessica Jones Jessica Jones General Discussion Thread - Part 2

I think it nust dragged on too long. Ten episodes would have been fine.

That’s true of all their Marvel series.

I really don't know why The Punisher gets so much love from fans. It was good but wasn't GREAT.

I agree, but I still thought it was better than half of the other Netflix shows so far. I'm also a fan of the character and Jon Bernthal's take on Frank.

Daredevil and Jessica Jones each had great first seasons that utilized their 13 episodes without much filler. Every show since then besides Defenders (which was only 8 anyway) could have told their stories in 10.

Yup. I don't know who decided they all had to be 13 episodes instead of letting each story dictate the length.

Good lord I found this season to be a complete chore to sit through. Probably could have told the story in 5 episodes.

I'm three away from the end and, well, I've enjoyed most of it. To me, the subplots have maybe, been better than the main story. Hogarth's story has been really good. Carrie-Anne Moss is gravitating and has truly developed the character. Seeing Trish and Malcom developed more is also welcomed as I enjoyed their characters from season 1.

Binged watched the entire 13 episodes.....

My take.....

I thought the first few episodes were boring. The middle portions were probably the best (thats what hooked me to watch episode 3 to 9 in 1 night).

The last few episodes were cr@p..... Every character in this series were seriously unlikable.

Anyway this is a huge upgrade on ironfist and defenders..... So hope the other series at least match JJ2.

What about compared to Punisher? As far as comparisons go since that since that came after both Iron Fist and Defenders, but before second season of Jessica Jones.

I'm trying to get a read on what people think of this season and so far it seems....complicated. Hard to tell if people enjoyed it or not lol

What about compared to Punisher? As far as comparisons go since that since that came after both Iron Fist and Defenders, but before second season of Jessica Jones.
I put this season and The Punisher on about equal footing, but they are very, VERY different. This season of JJ practically eschews the whole "vigilante/superhero show" aspect completely, in favor of a more personal psychological drama about recovery and addiction. There's no major city-wide threat, no immediate grand conspiracy, the stakes are merely the main characters' souls and well-being. I can see why a lot of people aren't liking it, and it's certainly not "exciting" in terms of action and intensity as The Punisher and DD...but in terms of quality of writing and acting, it is roughly on par with The Punisher, imo.

I put this season and The Punisher on about equal footing, but they are very, VERY different. This season of JJ practically eschews the whole "vigilante/superhero show" aspect completely, in favor of a more personal psychological drama about recovery and addiction. There's no major city-wide threat, no immediate grand conspiracy, the stakes are merely the main characters' souls and well-being. I can see why a lot of people aren't liking it, and it's certainly not "exciting" in terms of action and intensity as The Punisher and DD...but in terms of quality of writing and acting, it is roughly on par with The Punisher, imo.

Then I'll probably like it a lot, I prefer lower key things even if powers are sometimes involved, as compared to a global threat.

I'm trying to get a read on what people think of this season and so far it seems....complicated. Hard to tell if people enjoyed it or not lol
It is complicated.

I guess my problem is, I never feel like any of the characters take responsibility for their actions. Like whenever Trish does something messed up, she always points the finger at someone else such as Malcom or Dr. Malus.

I'm not saying Malcom is perfect. He did mess up big time. However, Malcom was also vulnerable and an addict as well. And what he was doing was only because he was convinced it was the right thing by Trish. Like he didn't know what Trish was really trying to do or what Jessica was up to.

OK, at one point earlier it did seem like Jessica finally acknowledged that her keeping everyone at arms length alienated people who could help her.
So she started to share more information with the detective. And let's be honest, Detective Costa never burned her. Neither did Oscar. Oscar was always there for her when she needed it, even at the risk of his own safety considering he was an ex-con.

I just wish there was just more of Jessica taking responsibility. I'd say what happened to her mother was equally her fault along with Trish.

Almost done with the season and somewhat enjoying it. I really hate Jessica though, like she’s the worst out of all the Defenders.

One thing I'm curious about is why the lack of mentions of the Sokovia Accords?

They straight up mention [BLACKOUT]The Raft[/BLACKOUT], which is clearly a Captain America: Civil War reference.

Anyway, I think it's good, but never great, and the first half is definitely stronger than the second half. That being sad, in it's own, character-centric way, I do think it finishes strong.

Tomorrow for me, binging will occur. :D

Then I'll probably like it a lot, I prefer lower key things even if powers are sometimes involved, as compared to a global threat.
Yeah this is definitely the most low-key and intimate Marvel/Netflix season.

I actually liked punisher more than this.

The punisher started out slow (and kinda boring)....but as the episodes went by it got more interesting. So it started slow but ended well.

JJ2 started slow and while the middle portions were better, the last few episodes were sub-par. And the worst part was that when it all ended, it really hits you how unlikable all the major characters were in this series.

Did the writers really wanted all the major characters to be this way...or was the writing bad ? I am not sure... but it is definitely better than IF & TD.

My Ranking of the marvel series would be

a)DareDevil
b)DareDevil 2 (because of punisher)
c)Jessica Jones 1
d)Punisher
e)Luke Cage
f)Jessica Jones 2
g)The Defenders
h)Iron Fist (i took 1 year to finish the series as it was so f**king bad and boring)

1)Whats the point of percy cheng ?
2)What about the whole subplot of jeri and those 2 con people......?
3)And JJ's mum reason to go on a killing spree is due to Trish's radio program when karl and her can just stay at that beach house (under the radar as everyone thinks she is dead and almost everyone who knows karl says he is a nice guy...which means they are not gonna rat him out)
4)Why would a wheel chair dude attack JJ when she went to the funeral ?
5)When JJ interviewed the fat dude in a cell...did it add anything to the plot ?

The above are some of the stuff which i thought didn't do much for the plot...and if they were trimmed, JJ2 would be have better IMO

BTW was quite happy to see the alien cab driver from total recall acting in this series (he came on only 1 episode i think). Don't think i have seen him anywhere else in recent times.

Last edited:
Just started. So far so good. :)

Yeah this is definitely the most low-key and intimate Marvel/Netflix season.

Agreed. This season felt like a much more personal journey for Jessica on account of the strong character-driven narrative and Ritter's own compelling performance in the role. Next to Punisher, it just might be the most emotionally mature offering from Marvel Netflix to date.

The emphasis on supporting characters like Jeri and Malcolm was also a nice touch.

It is complicated.

I guess my problem is, I never feel like any of the characters take responsibility for their actions. Like whenever Trish does something messed up, she always points the finger at someone else such as Malcom or Dr. Malus.

I'm not saying Malcom is perfect. He did mess up big time. However, Malcom was also vulnerable and an addict as well. And what he was doing was only because he was convinced it was the right thing by Trish. Like he didn't know what Trish was really trying to do or what Jessica was up to.

OK, at one point earlier it did seem like Jessica finally acknowledged that her keeping everyone at arms length alienated people who could help her.
So she started to share more information with the detective. And let's be honest, Detective Costa never burned her. Neither did Oscar. Oscar was always there for her when she needed it, even at the risk of his own safety considering he was an ex-con.

I just wish there was just more of Jessica taking responsibility. I'd say what happened to her mother was equally her fault along with Trish.

Yep. Most of these characters are deeply flawed, damaged and traumatized individuals. I understand why they are the way they are and why they make the choices they do. Saying that it is hard for me to like them because they are so self destructive. They don't just hurt themselves but hurt other innocent people around them and their refusal to seek help makes them somewhat complicit in the terrible things that befall the innocent people they put in danger.

All these Netflix Marvel hero characters besides maybe Luke Cage are on varying scales of trauma.

The Punisher and Jessica Jones are probably the most damaged.

Iron Fist and Daredevil are somewhere in the middle.

Despite Luke Cage trials and tribulations he still seems to be a socially adjusted and mental healthy individual. Cage trying to murder the bus driver he thought killed Reva was only time I remember thinking he came across as unhinged.

6 more episodes to go. My goal is to finish it tonight. The major twist has me worried. I can see this going downhill easily. But, episode 7 was great. Episode 8 onward tonight!

I agree so far, the lowest scale show in the MCU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"