Jessica Jones General Discussion Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Jessica Jones' started by Thread Manager, Dec 1, 2015.

1. dmcreif

dmcreif Well-Known Member

Yeah, Trish as a villain would never work. Trish and Jessica care for each other too much that they won't kill or hurt each other in a really bad way. And having Trish as a villain would mirror Season 2 too much, with a lot of the conflict stemming from family. I think that whatever the threat is in season 3, it would make more sense to have Jessica and Trish both going after it and thwarting each other as they butt heads, with the impetus being a mix of Jessica still not being able to look at Trish because of her choices as well as her judging Trish's techniques as a newbie hero without yet understanding the responsibility that comes with her abilities and how it could lead her to become no better than the bad guys. This could come to a head where Trish finally gets it and tries to get Jessica to take her on as a peer/sidekick to teach her, which will be a long road of refusals that ultimately ends in concession and Jessica forgiving Trish, due to the nature of the threat they are up against.

With Malcolm, he'll likely come back to work for Jessica once he begins to take issue with the sorts of things that Cheng tasks him with doing, and will come to realize he misses working with Jessica and thus go back to her.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  2. dmcreif

As I had said, I feel that Jessica MUST forgive Trish by the end of season 3, and it would be out of character for her to reject Trish.

3. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

I too think they cannot complete season 3 without them forgiving each other. I think that has to happen.

4. dmcreif

What I think a lot of people forget is that Trish is not only a recovering drug addict, but also a freaking child rape survivor (not to mention what other traumas she had to face from her narcissist mother). So the people who are demonizing Trish are completely ignoring the entire reasoning of why she's acting the way she is to begin with. She's probably just as mentally messed up as Jessica. It's this little thing we call "character development" where characters evolve, they don't always make the right choices, and they don't always stay likeable.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  5. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

Jessica didn't forgive her at the end of season 2. Why should I? A lot of people have had tough lives. At one point do you stop making excuses when they continue to do self destructive and terrible things.

6. Geowolf

Geowolf Well-Known Member

I do agree with your assessment, only Jessica also has blood in her ledger, but it is human to respond and not forgive her (for now) the way that she did. There is more similarities between Jessica and Trish than you first see, on the outside they are very different and the first character layer also, but under that are similar things from troubled pasts. I hope those similarities will come to the surface and point them in the same direction again. (towards a possible a season 3 big baddy)

7. XStreme Skins

XStreme Skins Well-Known Member

I loved season 1 but am bleh towards 2. The main reason 1 was the best run out of all the MN shows was it had the best villian; Kilgrave. Him not being on the show left a big void.

Although if Jessica and Trish start out as super rivals; competing to see who the better super hero is, it would be a big step up from last season.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  8. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Yeah, he is going to be very hard to replace in the villain stakes. Same for me though, seeing Trish and Jess as rivals now will be a nice boost for the show. I still love Ritter in the role.

9. dmcreif

My guess is that Jessica will probably not even think about talking to Trish until she has fully mourned her mother. I think Jessica understood at some level that Alisa's death was a possible outcome of this situation. But at the same time, I'd also say that Jessica is still a long way from reaching that level of emotional distance, and if anything, I imagine that Trish understands that.

Now, at the same time, Jessica spent over 17 years thinking her mother was dead. However, as much as Jessica bonded with her mom over the course of the season, Alisa was still, much like Elektra was to Matt in The Defenders or even Harold Meachum was to Joy in Iron Fist, only a shell of the person Jessica remembered. That may help Jessica heal somewhat quickly, and once that happens, she may reach out to Trish, or more likely, be willing to allow Trish to reach out to her.

It's also important to note, if it hasn't already been mentioned, but Trish and Jessica have managed to reconcile from previous falling outs before, as the "Cray-Cray" flashbacks showed, and they are always going to need each other for emotional support.

10. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

Previous fallouts are a bit different than putting down your mother.

11. Geowolf

Geowolf Well-Known Member

I agree, this will definitly leave a mark on Jessica and maybe Trish will realise it when her high is a bit over.
    This will determine the course of the next season and I think it might be a storyline that will have Jessica and Trish not so much against each other, but both trying to reach the same goal or helping each other without wanting to. :loco: I am confusing myself lolz, I can't wait for the next season to be honest. I am just hoping it'll be good.

12. Spider-Fan

You have indeed identified the conflict in their relationship. So when they forgive each other in the end, given what happened between them, it will feel more like a journey.

13. Lencho01

Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

14. Spider-Fan

I loved season 1 and 2, so she has had a good run :up:

Hopefully whoever would takeover does a great job as well. They did a good job replacing Drew Goddard, so I have faith.

15. Man in the Suit

Man in the Suit Greeting

16. Slick

Slick Yup

Yeah I’m a little bit sad that she’s leaving but it happens. She gave us two great seasons imo. Hoping that they’ll choose the right showrunner to take her place.I'm hoping this will be a Daredevil season 2 thing because I’m one of the few that thought Daredevil season 2 was better than 1 (which I already loved).

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  17. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Well-Known Member

I believe it was reported that she would leave after next season.

18. dmcreif

She's still doing season 3. But this is her last season as showrunner for Jessica Jones. Probably because she wants to move on to other projects.

19. Dr.

Dr. Well-Known Member

I just finished up season 2. I loved it. It’s hard to compare it against season 1 (which I also loved.) On the one hand, S1 had a somewhat more conventional hero/villain structure. And Kilgrave was a most excellent villain. On the other, S2 set itself the challenge of telling a compelling “action story” with no real villains. (Or, alternatively, a story where everyone was a villain to one degree or another.) Tricky. But IMO, the challenge was met - and exceeded.

Top notch television.