Joe Chill Arrested?

Yup.

Now....haw many people think that Batman Begins had a lot to do with this one?

Of course the new movie version has everything to do with this.:o

So now the real question is how much of Batman's real comics history has been thrown out of official continuity for the new movie version Post-Infinity Crisis?

theMan-Bat said:
Of course the new movie version has everything to do with this.:o

So now the real question is how much of Batman's real comics history has been thrown out of official continuity for the new movie version Post-Infinity Crisis?

All of it, if we're lucky.

Well, if you think about it.....the Begins origin wouldn't really change that much of the comic origin. The biggest thing was Chill. Adding Ra's al Ghul's involvement would really ruin the comics relationship either. Infact, it could be great considering how Ra's "figured" out Bruce was Batman.

Adding the Begins Ra's training to the comics throws out alot of Batman's comic history. Batman #232 (1971) "The Daughter of the Demon" by Ra's creators Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams is clearly the first time Batman meets Ra's. "Who are you?" he says. Ra's figured out Bruce Wayne is Batman by a simple matter of deduction and research. He reasoned that the Batman had to be wealthy and that he needed certain kinds of equipment. Therefore, he merely had his organization investigate and found out Bruce Wayne alone bought what the Batman had to have. Batman says "Okay...That's a hole I'll plug! I'm surprised someone didn't think of it years ago." He even says to Ra's "For years I've trained myself to concentrate on the thing at hand." not, "For years you trained me".

Blind Justice (1989), written by Sam Hamm (Batman '89), shows Bruce was trained in martial arts by old asian martial arts master Chu Chin Li. French Private Investigator Ducard only trained Bruce as a detective. The detective part of Bruce's training is not even mentioned in Begins. How he trains to become the World's Greatest Detective.

theMan-Bat said:
Adding the Begins Ra's training to the comics throws out alot of Batman's comic history. Batman #232 (1971) "The Daughter of the Demon" by Ra's creators Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams is clearly the first time Batman meets Ra's. "Who are you?" he says. Ra's figured out Bruce Wayne is Batman by a simple matter of deduction and research. He reasoned that the Batman had to be wealthy and that he needed certain kinds of equipment. Therefore, he merely had his organization investigate and found out Bruce Wayne alone bought what the Batman had to have. Batman says "Okay...That's a hole I'll plug! I'm surprised someone didn't think of it years ago." He even says to Ra's "For years I've trained myself to concentrate on the thing at hand." not, "For years you trained me".

Blind Justice (1989), written by Sam Hamm (Batman '89), shows Bruce was trained in martial arts by old asian martial arts master Chu Chin Li. French Private Investigator Ducard only trained Bruce as a detective. The detective part of Bruce's training is not even mentioned in Begins. How he trains to become the World's Greatest Detective.

The O'Niel story is out of continuity anyway, and Blind Justice could easile be retconned. I don't see what the big deal is-- a BB-style, pre-Year One type of story hasn't really been told and should be fleshed out.

See....it could all EASILY be retconned.

The Blind Justice stuff, being trained, could be stops he made along the way to Ra's.

And the beginning between Ra's and Bruce....just erase how he figured it out. It was kinda dumb anyways, the 'ol...."I figured out you were Batman by dedcution" trick. Just add the Ra's training....and it makes MORE sense when he comes to Bruce's door like that. Obviousyl, retcon would have to be done on those things....but it's not like it's erasing it all.

Why change the source material, scrap decades of continuity, to fit a movie? Why betray the original material?

Because continuity itself is limiting and pointless. Continuity in these things is stupid. 70 years of stories by different writers with different takes and different ideas cannot be fit into the same history. And retcons like Crisis, Zero Hour, and IC are what they are: incredibly lame attempts to "wipe the board clean" and give new creators a chance to play. But they are the lamest stories themselves. Multiverse? Hypertime? Superboy punching a timewall? Seriously?

Would it hurt to make these stories like Bond? Where a loose framework exists, but stories stand on their own and creators are allowed to change, edit, adapt, or do what they feel is right as creators, in one story?

Why is continuity so damn important, anyway?

PS: The "original material" involves Batman confronting Chill and never getting revenge - just like Begins, just like the new continuity.

Continuity is limiting and that's why there was Elseworlds stories in the 90's, for things that can't, couldn't and shouldn't exist in the mainstream continuity because it would screw up decades of continuity and betray the original material.

Why is continuity important at all? So the original material is not betrayed because I think it's to good to betray. And so things make sense.

The killer was unknown in the original material by the creators, Bill Finger and Bob Kane, just like post-Zero Hour.
kaneBatman001-0120The20Legend20of20.jpg

Also, Joe Chill was never arrested in the original Joe Chill story.
Chill should be out of continuity because the Chill text contradicted the original material. Where as the original asserts, for example, that both Thomas and Martha Wayne died from bullet wounds, the Joe Chill text asserted that only Thomas Wayne was shot and died from a bullet wound, while Martha Wayne died from shock.
spoofjoechill-batman_047c-09.jpg

Editor Mort Weisinger told the writers what kind of stories they had to write. Mort would come up with plots by asking children what they think should happen in the next issue. Jack Schiff was the editor of the Batman books in the late 40's and 50's. Jack Schiff left Bill Finger alone. He never told him what stories he had to write. He never interfered in a negative way like Mort Weisinger. Mort edited the Superman books in the 1950s and ‘60s and worked in the same office as Jack Schiff. Mort's fiery personality completely overwhelmed Jack's more introverted personality and he told Jack what to put into Batman. Mort was also friendlier with the boss, Jack Liebowitz, which might also have influenced Jack into listening to Mort. Bill Finger had no control by the late 40's. He just wrote what he was told.

Your blind adherence to continuity is wretched to me. It appears to me like you have no ability to think for yourself, or formulate your own take on a character and need to be force-fed comfort stories that stick as close as possible to what has come before.

At least, that's my take on what you have claimed is your reason for needing continuity. "So it makes sense". Give me a break.

PS: All your jabbering about ole Mort and his antics, and your wonderfully anal-rententive jawing about what Martha Wayne died from and how that incredibly insignficant discrepancy destroys your faith in Mankind doesn't make any difference. The history of the character has changed so many times.

I suppose you hate the fact that Superman flies, right? Because that was not introduced by Siegel and Shuster. It was introduced in the Fleischer cartoons. And Clark Kent should work at the Daily Star and should not have Jonathan and Martha Kent as adopted parents. Siegel and Shuster had him at an orphanage.

Your a funny guy. You really hate continuity. Again, that's what Elseworlds was for.

Superman going from leaping to flying is a natural expansion. I love the Fleischers Superman animation and have the whole thing on DVD. The Complete Superman Collection Diamond Anniversary Edition. The name change from the Daily Star to the Daily Planet is nothing compared to Batman's mother not being murdered. The creators Siegel and Shuster created the Kents and they are in Superman #1 (1939).
1.gif

You can't explain why you love continuity except to say, "it makes sense."

Superman going from leaping to flying is rather a big difference. Superman going from growing up in an orphanage to living on a farm with Jonathan and Martha is a GIANT leap. Neither were "in continuity" when introduced.

I would wager that more has been done for these characters from stories outside of continuity than has been done within the monthly continuity. And I would win that bet.

I hate continuity now Post-Infinity Crisis.

Superman's creators Jerry Seigel and Joe Shuster embellished Superman's beginnings with the Kents in Superman #1 (1939). That didn't scrap decades of continuity.

What is important about continuity? You haven't answered my original question. Please, give me a straight answer without posting images.

I already did.

Why is continuity important at all? So the original material is not betrayed because I think it's to good to betray. And so things make sense.

Read my posts, don't just look at the pictures.

But the original material is betrayed and refined all the time.

Do you want a pipe-smoking Bruce Wayne who's best friends with Gordon, and a Batman that carries guns and shoots people? That's what's in my original archive books here.

"So things make sense": what does that mean? Clarify, please. You mean, so things fit in with a 70-year history? If so, good luck with that jigsaw puzzle. I'd rather read an interesting story that doesn't take five pages going over useless backstory.

Yes, I want a pipe-smoking Bruce Wayne who's best friends with Gordon, and a Batman that carries guns and shoots people!

Yes, I mean, so things fit in with history.

At least you're consistent. So, do you not like any Batman comics after 1949?

Not as much as the killer original material. The Denny O'Neil/Neal Adams stories, etc. are good but there missing Bruce Wayne's pipe and hanging out with Gordon, Batman's guns and shooting people. Batman saying:
catbatspank.jpg

Also the Batplane! I love the Batplane!
1BATMAN001-Gun.jpg

1kanestrangling8lh.jpg

2711_400x600.jpg

Because continuity itself is limiting and pointless. Continuity in these things is stupid. 70 years of stories by different writers with different takes and different ideas cannot be fit into the same history. And retcons like Crisis, Zero Hour, and IC are what they are: incredibly lame attempts to "wipe the board clean" and give new creators a chance to play. But they are the lamest stories themselves. Multiverse? Hypertime? Superboy punching a timewall? Seriously?

Well, that's comics for yah. It's part of the whole deal I guess.

Would it hurt to make these stories like Bond? Where a loose framework exists, but stories stand on their own and creators are allowed to change, edit, adapt, or do what they feel is right as creators, in one story?

That'd be near impossible to pull off.......even though most stories today take place KINDA like that, it's not easy to just kinda be loose with past stuff because they kinda matter to the fans. But....for the most part...continuity doesn't really affect everything like all the time.
Why is continuity so damn important, anyway?

Personally, I think it's because fans hold the past great stories so tightly. I guess it's not easy to erase, what some people would call, the iconic versions. But....continuity is alaways a pain really.

Also, Joe Chill was never arrested in the original Joe Chill story.
Chill should be out of continuity because the Chill text contradicted the original material. Where as the original asserts, for example, that both Thomas and Martha Wayne died from bullet wounds, the Joe Chill text asserted that only Thomas Wayne was shot and died from a bullet wound, while Martha Wayne died from shock.

lol....the shock thing would make people laugh....lol.

But the original material is betrayed and refined all the time.

Yup......it's funny how the comics can getaway with it, but if a movie tries it...it get hammered badly for the smallest little detail.

Do you want a pipe-smoking Bruce Wayne who's best friends with Gordon, and a Batman that carries guns and shoots people? That's what's in my original archive books here.

That's the thing about it, I guess. It's about re-shaping the character to fit into the times so that it's still revelant. Otherwise, your right, the character would remain the same...and well.....be outdated.

This is the thing, I would say: People want to know where they stand with these characters. Keeping the character in total mystery is unacceptable because we've gotten so into them already. The past and how they became what they are are important.....but Batman is one character where continuity has been kinda vague. For example, we know Batman's first year as Batman he teamed up with Gordon.....but we're not really sure if Selina was a hooker. Atleast, not anymore.

I do wish it was easier....and honestly, Comics in general do a horrible job of carrying and altering the continuity.

I am in favor of Chill being brought back though, makes more sense I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"