Superman Returns John Ottman on Superman Returns score

:D NCC-1701 No bloody 'A' 'B' 'C' 'D' or 'E' ,and definately no NX-01.

LOL A Rules plus Kirk Needs to be brought to life again and not in a stupid JJ Abrahams Prequel idea

Great read!! It nice to hear Ottman doesn't have a big ego & that they will keep some of Williams's music while also adding Ottman's own score. I can't wait to hear the music in theater soon!! :)

So whats the purpose of John Ottman when he is just using someone else's song?

^ John Williams wouldn't sign on because he was reminded too much of Chris in Brandon, according to his own words.

You might as well ask why Donner isn't directing, Hackman isn't Luthor, and OTIS isn't in this.

Yeah but why waste money to hire someone when they could just take the good ole JW theme and use it.

because you can't score a whole movie with just Williams' theme.

You think before you post, right?

Glad to hear all those great tracks are returning, but I'm also glad to hear Ottman's putting his own spin on them rather than doing note-for-note renditions. Can't wait for his version of the Krypton theme...

SolidSnakeMGS said:
I didn't know if this deserved it's own thread or not, but here is a blurb about why Williams actually passed on scoring SR.

The latest issue of Spanish film magazine Fotogramas fetures an exclusive article o*n Superman Returns, which cites Brandon Routh's resemblance to Christopher Reeve as o*ne of the reasons why John Williams isn't in charge of the score. "I could never have dealt with this score. He [Brandon] reminded me too much of Chris", admits the Maestro.

Why is everyone ignoring this? It's interesting info.

Oh, I'm not ignoring, I just don't know what to say to that, really. Wow, I guess they must have been close friends or something.

i think it was made up. why would he said something like that?

I hope the Smallville theme is still being used (as in John Williams' theme for Smallville in the film - nothing to do with the TV show). That was the one theme that Ottman didn't mention, and it'd really be silly not to use it in the Smallville scenes. It's just a little theme, but it's a nice one.

dark_b said:
i think it was made up. why would he said something like that?

He is an emotional guy. He may get sad thinking of Chris.

lujho said:
I hope the Smallville theme is still being used (as in John Williams' theme for Smallville in the film - nothing to do with the TV show). That was the one theme that Ottman didn't mention, and it'd really be silly not to use it in the Smallville scenes. It's just a little theme, but it's a nice one.
:o I was wondering about it myself. It is so 'Norman Rockwellish' ,and I think that it would be a mistake not to include it. I trust Ottman more after hearing the podcast; so I think we have nothing to worry about!:up:

lujho said:

Can you imagine if the movie opened onto a cornfield and started blaring "SOMEBODY SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" :D

Asr said:
Can you imagine if the movie opened onto a cornfield and started blaring "SOMEBODY SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" :D

I don't wanna imagine that. Haha

SolidSnakeMGS said:
^ John Williams wouldn't sign on because he was reminded too much of Chris in Brandon, according to his own words.

You might as well ask why Donner isn't directing, Hackman isn't Luthor, and OTIS isn't in this.

I doubt he said that. Where did you read that?

Although i`d prefer that Williams was the composer of this movie, i`m fine with Ottman. His Usual Suspects theme is amazing. Im sure he will do the score justice and i`m glad he won`t write the theme note by note, but will add his own spin to it. Thats good since this movie isn`t Superman the movie.

Stewie Griffin said:
I doubt he said that. Where did you read that?

It's from a magazine. I posted about it many pages back actually with the name of the magazine. I'll try to find it.

Don't worry. I am sure Ottman will concoct some hackney Williams'esque theme and turn the movie into melodramatic filth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"