The Dark Knight Rises Johnny Depp wants the Riddler role

The Adam West series, though admittedly funny, sucked so horribly. I can not believe that anyone could take it seriously, its a JOKE! A mere parody of the shadow that Batman leaves behind. Never do I want to hear an actor going into a batman project reference that show... Please say it ain't so.
You do know that Christopher Nolan came into the picture with only that show as his Batman reference too, right? He said it several times in his Batman Begins interviews - "I was a fan of the original TV show." That was the only exposure he had to the character growing up. I don't think that affected his job performance either, so I wouldn't expect any actor to come in doing anything but the version of the character that Nolan envisions.

Beforehand knowledge of the character should not be a factor when choosing the right actor to play him, imo.

You do know that Christopher Nolan came into the picture with only that show as his Batman reference too, right? He said it several times in his Batman Begins interviews - "I was a fan of the original TV show." That was the only exposure he had to the character growing up. I don't think that affected his job performance either, so I wouldn't expect any actor to come in doing anything but the version of the character that Nolan envisions.

Beforehand knowledge of the character should not be a factor when choosing the right actor to play him, imo.

He hadn't seen any of the Burton movies?

He hadn't seen any of the Burton movies?

he was about 20 when the first one came out so i assume most of his impressions of batman were from the t.v. show he grew up watching re-runs of. he isn't american so batman '89 wasn't required viewing or anything but im sure he did see it at that less than impressionable age.

This is sort of exciting to hear that my original pic for the Riddler is actually interested. Granted if he even gets talked to about it, I hope he picks up some material to see that the Riddler is more of a mastermind than a goofball. But none the less Depp's interpretation of characters is pretty astonishing so I have a lot of faith, especially under the direction of Nolan.

Also note that I am not a terribly huge Depp fan, I just think he would be right for the part. I do get tired of hearing him suggested for everything, but in this case I really think it fits.

This is sort of exciting to hear that my original pic for the Riddler is actually interested. Granted if he even gets talked to about it, I hope he picks up some material to see that the Riddler is more of a mastermind than a goofball. But none the less Depp's interpretation of characters is pretty astonishing so I have a lot of faith, especially under the direction of Nolan.

Also note that I am not a terribly huge Depp fan, I just think he would be right for the part. I do get tired of hearing him suggested for everything, but in this case I really think it fits.

I agree.

Also, (and this isn't directed at you Minus Shock, it's just a broad statement) you can say what you want about Depp, but there's no denying that the man is a phenomenal actor. I know people get tired of hearing him get cast for everything, (and heck, I do too) but the reason his name comes up for everything is because of the fact that he's a phenomenal actor. He's one of the best actors of our generation. And I know that I simply want him in a Bat movie as a villain, simply because I know it could be amazing.

Haha I was going to say exactly that but figured I'd leave it alone. He's arguably the most reliable actor to bring just amazing weight to every role he does.

Just have the Riddler be a cocky arrogant FBI Agent who gets fired cause he too obbssed with Batman and he tries to prove he can nail who Batman really is and also show off his smarts.

Interesting. I can see maybe like Secret window, and maybe even Public Enemies being considered a drag, but even going back to like Edward Scissor hands?

If Johnny Depp were to indeed be cast I'd like to seem him have the mystique he carried in Secret Window with the appeal of Jake Dillinger.

Or why not Jim Carrey he can be a dark character ala Number 23.

Normally I would agree with you, but considering Nolan has done everything to differentiate his movies from the previous four, he wouldn't recast Riddler with the last actor to play him on screen, furthermore I doubt Carrey would do it. Unfortunately people think the Riddler is supposed to be goofey and off the wall like Joker thanks to Batman Forever. So I would prefer not reminding them.

Is it just me, or does Depp have a nack for being in bad movies? The guy's a great actor, but aside from the 1st Pirates movie and Public Enemies, I've found myself unimpressed with all of the films he's in.
Check out some of his older stuff, especially What's Eating Gilbert Grape and Ed Wood. They're pretty good.

Personally, I'm not really a fan of Johnny Depp, and I'm actually kind of scared of what he'd do with the Riddler role. I've seen some other people share the same concern. This could become another Willy Wonka.

Honestly, I think Alessandro Juliani would make a great Riddler simply because he was L in the Death Note anime, and I think L and Nolan's Riddler would be similar in more than one aspect.

Shudders to think the same treatment given to Riddler that was given to Wonka.... now Im going to go cry.

Shudders to think the same treatment given to Riddler that was given to Wonka.... now Im going to go cry.
To be fair his Wonka with a more grim treatment could actually work, but that's not really a risk I'm willing to take.

When fanboys are complaining about JOHNNY DEPP getting a role, you know something is wrong.

When fanboys are complaining about JOHNNY DEPP getting a role, you know something is wrong.

Then again, you know something is wrong when 90 % of the threads on these boards are crappy fan fic proposals for the next film

I kind of cringe anytime an actor references the Adam West series, and only the Adam West series.

LMAO! ya, I can see it now.

A wacky Depp Riddler dancing around and laughing like a maniac...:csad:

--dk7

I wouldn't mind this idea at all. Depp is very versatile, it's hard to find actors on his level, nowadays.

Your acting like Depp specifically intended to act that way for Wonka its what Burton wanted. Johnny Depp can become any character the director wants him to be. That's what makes him such a unique actor. Jack Sparrow, Ed Wood, Edward Scissorhands and Jon Dillinger are all different characters played by the same actor. I'd like Depp as the Riddler, but if we don't get him (which we probably won't) than I'd like Guy Pearce to have the role.

Your acting like Depp specifically intended to act that way for Wonka its what Burton wanted. Johnny Depp can become any character the director wants him to be. That's what makes him such a unique actor. Jack Sparrow, Ed Wood, Edward Scissorhands and Jon Dillinger are all different characters played by the same actor. I'd like Depp as the Riddler, but if we don't get him (which we probably won't) than I'd like Guy Pearce to have the role.

I totally agree. I think Depp has immense talent. I think in the hands of what he knows, and what Nolan can bring out of him would be something truly incredible. I was really just making a joke. I have penned Depp as Riddler since a few weeks before Dark Knight was released so it's nothing personal towards him at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"