Supergirl Jon Cryer is Lex Luthor

Jon Cryer as Lex Luthor...

As someone who legitimately likes Superman IV, and grew up watching it way more than any other Superman movie, this makes me feel all warm inside.

I'm surprised they went with someone so old tbh. He is practically 20 years older then Katie, 5 years younger then Brenda. Sure they'll probably have him be like 40 but I was expecting Luthor/Lena to actually have had a childhood together. Guess we know at least that Clark/Lex arent highschool buddies.

Obviously, the actors’ actual ages don’t quite line up to Supergirl’s previously established mythology. :cwink: But assuming the 53-year-old Cryer can convincingly play 40ish, it mostly works. Lillian (now 60ish) would have had Lex as a young woman. This puts Lena in her early-to-mid 30s (McGrath’s real age). And this, in turn, would be roughly consistent with the Lex/Lena age difference depicted in the “Luthors” flashback scenes (episode 2.12).

In terms of Superman/CK’s age, the Supergirl timeline has been a tad wonky. But generally, Supes is assumed to be 10-11 years older than Kara. That means he’s currently 38ish. In virtually all versions of the mythos, Superman is younger than Lex (though the exact age gap varies, depending on the iteration).

Superman should always be about 38 to fit with Earth 38 and 1938. It's also a good age for him. Not too young and not too old either.

i8u7z9aauxy11.jpg

I didn't think they'd go this old. I was wanting Billy Zane as Lex, whom I knew might probably be too old. He's one year younger than Jon Cryer. But they did end up going that age. So they could've gone for Zane after all.

Zane would've been a great SM: TAS type of Lex like Clancy Brown. He even sounds a bit similar. He would also have been very intimidating.

I don't want a goofy take on Lex again or someone who comes across as weak. Cryer seems like he might be more like Eisenberg or even Hackman or Spacey.

I wanted something more like Rosenbaum or Brown, or even John Shea. Or even a Lex similar to Lionel Luthor from Smallville.
I had Daniel Gillies in mind.
elijah-the-originals-daniel-gillies-featured.jpg

He would’ve been a great choice. Don’t see him being willing to shave his head, though, for whatever reason.

He would’ve been a great choice. Don’t see him being willing to shave his head, though, for whatever reason.

When someone has a good head of hair, they're not going to want to jeopardise that. It might not grow back to its full glory again. Even Rosenbaum was fed up of shaving his head later on.

It's easier to get someone who is already bald because they're used to that.

Kevin Smith on Cryer's Lex:
“I knew that a long time ago. When I was working on my episode, they were talking about who would play Lex Luthor and his name as at the top of the list at that point and I know what they’re doing with the character. Like, it’s not humorous. It’s a dark turn.”

So at least we know it won't be Hackman 2.0. I guess we'll be seeing a new side of Jon Cryer, for better or worse.

Jon Cryer is Lex Luthor in Supergirl. Not a bad casting choice, will be strange seeing him go from Lenny Luthor in the movie to Lex Luthor in CW Supergirl. Hope he has his own Lenny Luthor or mentions one in this. Hope he will be bald too in this and smart lex like in movie version played by Gene. If only Gene Hackman would have a role in this that will be cool playing Lionel Luthor. Supergirl should get a new suit though she has the same one from start and this time with yellow in insignia like Superman, short boots with yellow trim too and without the red streak on suit. More inspired from Supergirl in movie look. A new suit would be good. They have changed Flash suit many times but her suit not once yet in new season. Maybe Clark gives her new suit as gift in a Christmas episode or something but in secret or around others who know she is Supergirl. Where is Dean Cain?

Eh, I like that Supergirl has her own insignia, and I think it should stay that way. There's really nothing I'd change about her current suit...which is an unusual thing for me to say about a CW superhero costume. Though I can't say I'd object if they ever decide to give her pants, lol.

Dean Cain is off getting into feuds with Tom Arnold.

I’m glad she has her own insignia too although I wouldn’t be against some minor costume changes at some point.

I'd probably give Sueprgirl a collar and maybe gold trim on the skirt and better boots.

As far as Cryer...I wonder if he will be sporting a beard since I think he looks better with one when he is bald.

Yeah a beard or at least some scruff would probably be a good idea for him. And it would make sense if we're getting "prison Lex" that he wouldn't be as well-groomed as he may have been in his heyday.

I hope Jon Cryer's Lex Luthor will lead the real Legion of Doom.

I was actually hoping he’d have a beard because he looks even less intimidating without one. So yay I guess. Now I just hope his performance surprises us all, lol.

Next time Superman shows up, he will also have a beard. :o

CW first looks 8 times out of 10 tend to be rubbish but this ones really good. He looks sinister and honestly I don’t mind the beard, the guys in prison.

Why beard

That was also my first thought when I saw it... but I guess it makes sense since he's in prison. Still beats Jesse Eisenberg who looked and acted nothing like Lex. I hope he's similar to the animated version

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"